Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Broken bones

Has anyone ever broken their scaphoid in their wrist. Any re-occuring problems or anything? Its just I broke mine 4 weeks ago on sunday, and I still have 4 more weeks in a cast as a result. I just thought this was a bit excessive due to my fracture being " very small", ie. the whole peak of the bone is fractured right across. Feel free to post about any other bone fractures and the associated problems as well. Like I can feel evey bone Ive ever broken (8 to be exact) whenever its cold. Please, anyone add any info on the subject.

Old 31-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Collarbone (Born with it - a bad sign)
Right ankle
2 ribs
Jaw broken at both ends
completely shattered both cheek bones
Nose flattened accross face
Skull fractures
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 01:59 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Sorry to ask, but are you a boxer?
Old 31-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

broke my elbow when i was like 10 or so, (one bone actually came out of its socket and went past the other...yeah pain! did a bit of muscle damage as well aparently)
every now and then it gets pretty sore (presuming arthritis)

other than that, nothing really wrong with it, ive still got full use of the arm etc.

i think you'll be right, you might just get a bit of pain on occasion
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
ScoopED
Thumbs up for fossil fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Collarbone (Born with it - a bad sign)
Right ankle
2 ribs
Jaw broken at both ends
completely shattered both cheek bones
Nose flattened accross face
Skull fractures
Jeebus Christ, what the hell have you been doing???? Thats some serious stuff!!!

For the record.....
Left arm
Second smallest toe on right foot
Cracked Nose (not really broken, but still hurt)

Mike

1992 EB Fairmont
351cu in Windsor Roller Cam
Valve Body "Shift Kitted" BTR 4spd Auto
Hi Tek Headers Tri Y
Twin 2.25 into Single 2.5in
17in x 8in BA XR8 Copies
235x45x17 Nankang NSII
Ultra Low King springs
Whiteline 30mm Swaybar
Nolathane box section trailing arms
Slotted DBA front rotors
Yella Terra roller rockers
ScoopED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive had;
2 broken knuckles and snapped(completely out of skin) in the middle of the two: motorbike accident on ring finger left hand.
1 broken knuckle same finger : flailing arms like an idiot at work and hit a wall. ( seriously that stupid).
1 Broken knuckle ring finger right hand: skimboarding.
Broken Patella: Pushbike accident
5th Meta Tarsell: Skateboard accident.
and now : Fractured Schaphoid: Riding a shopping trolley.
Old 31-12-2005, 02:38 AM   #7
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

i didnt brake that bone in my wrist but i sprain it and for the the first week or so i remember just the sprain was a pain in the ***(not literally:$:P) ive only ever done that and chipped my pinky toe in a stunt done wrong, i have alot of accidents from stunts gone wrong but i usually only end up with cuts, bruises, and my mum tellin me im a silly child:p ive never broken a bone...touch wood
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
max^power
Formerly au^ute

well you may or may not already know but i've just broken the scapula, which is the shoulder blade. It's not too easy doing basic things as i can't move my arm much, although much easier and painless than when i did it. I'm already back on a pushbike - one handed. Doc says arm movement will never be the same, have to proove him wrong
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Yummy Mummy

I have broken the schaphoid in my left wrist 3 times and the right wrist twice. I was actually just commenting yesterday that my right schaphoid feels like I have re-broken it as it was really really sore. I think I may have arthritis in it, and the heat was making it very painful.

Either that or I have re-broken it but I can't think how the hell I would have done it (although tis the festive season and many a beverage has been consumed!)

Oh, and apparently the reason they have to go with the full cast option is because the bone is so small its hard to repair, it is one of the easiest bones to break in the body, it's position, due to the fact you use your thumb so much they have to make it completely immobile for it to repair.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Ive had;
2 broken knuckles and snapped(completely out of skin) in the middle of the two: motorbike accident on ring finger left hand.
1 broken knuckle same finger : flailing arms like an idiot at work and hit a wall. ( seriously that stupid).
1 Broken knuckle ring finger right hand: skimboarding.
Broken Patella: Pushbike accident
5th Meta Tarsell: Skateboard accident.
and now : Fractured Schaphoid: Riding a shopping trolley.
Broken left Schaphiod 1, right 3
1 manciple(bones that make the palm of your hand)
1 elbow
left ankle
left leg in 3 places
right leg in 2 places

I know have about 3 kilo's of titanium holding me together
Yes walking can be very painful at times.

Chick's dig scars.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

I broke the small bone at the back of the ankle once in a pot hole walking INTO the local pub. I throught i had just twisted it, so continued into the pub a started to drink.
After about 4 hours and a S*** load of grog and could still feel the pain and went home, had to cut off my boot when a got home because of the swelling.
Went to the hosipital two days later and was told i had a small facture and was put in a cast. I cut it off after three days as it as given me the s***s.
Haven't had any re-occurring problems since, that was about 4 years ago now.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I broke my Tibia (large shin bone) in 15 places. Yeh it shatered to bits and pieces. All joined together fine now, but i can always tell when the weathers going to change and when its going to thunder. The painfull artheritice is going to stay forever. During winter the pain feels like someone drilling my shin bone with a jack hammer. Oh thank god for pot.
Old 31-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Seeing it's turned into the orthopaedic thread.... I've broken my spine.. T3-T4 .. And L1-L2 (motorbike in 1974) And only 1 of 2 to walk out of Austin hospital spinal unit that year. So VERY lucky!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

man thats huge, spine!!!

do you get pain in it????
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
man thats huge, spine!!!

do you get pain in it????
If I lay about too much.. And really cold mornings.... My job is pretty physical, and keeps me on the move, which helps heaps I think.. And Much prefer a little discomfort than trying to work from a wheelchair.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #16
awsome4.0
Banned

Fell 19 feet of a balconey landed on my feet (and ****) fractured my ankle not the worst thng thats happend but its the only one that still gives me the S#### cant run no more.
awsome4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsome4.0
Fell 19 feet of a balconey landed on my feet (and ****) fractured my ankle not the worst thng thats happend but its the only one that still gives me the S#### cant run no more.
I have no time for people who are cant finish a job properly.. You failed a suicide attemp? Please i am just kidding....take no offence. I cant run much either because of my broken bones, rather dissapointing eh?
Old 31-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #18
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Broke my Schaphiod in right wrist approx 12years ago which healed and i have not had a problem since.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #19
XAGSV8
Member 178

I have broken both arms. The left was in the middle and snapped both bones which came out of my skin (called a compound fracture) hitting all the main blood vessels on the way through. My left arm was pinned and put in a funny cast with holes in it so my flesh injuries could heal. The right was my wrist which was so bad the cast had to be put up to my shoulder and was in a cast for 12 weeks. Also broke my finger catching a cricket ball which hit my right in the end of my finger. My both arms still hurt sometimes expecially when it is about to rain.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #20
Rapid260

I broke fibula in right leg, spiral break in right ankle on left side, pulled right side of foot out of socket on right side of right foot, basically right foot & leg was all, f**cked up, had screws in everywhere to hold it all together for 12 weeks, had cast on for 12 weeks & was lucky enough to get married in weeks six.
& yes can tell when the weather is going to change.

Kev.
Rapid260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #21
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have broken:
3 fingers
2 knuckles
2 toes (1 was broken twice)
2 ribs
bone in my foot 3 times
(with this i was in a cast for a very long time, (2 were fractures 1 was break). The fractures took longer to heal)
nose
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #22
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Has anyone ever broken their scaphoid in their wrist. Any re-occuring problems or anything? Its just I broke mine 4 weeks ago on sunday, and I still have 4 more weeks in a cast as a result. I just thought this was a bit excessive due to my fracture being " very small", ie. the whole peak of the bone is fractured right across. Feel free to post about any other bone fractures and the associated problems as well. Like I can feel evey bone Ive ever broken (8 to be exact) whenever its cold. Please, anyone add any info on the subject.
Yep when I was about 14 fell off the deadly treadly on my right wrist and it has never healed fully and on some awkward pressure it pops out
Playng footy - broken jaw , dislocated fingers
Shattered my whole left hand and that has never healed properly
Moved the lounge in the house and that caused me to dislocate 2 toes when I walked into the leg of the chair with the lights out
Busted knucke in a fight

Oh I forgot- come a buster in the snow with a camera around my neck and broke/cracked 2 ribs when I landed on it , that was the worst as you felt it every time you moved and breathed
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #23
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Broke my right arm as a little tacker and didn't even know how I did it. No issues with it now days though.

Jeez I've got a clean slate, perhaps I should start riding motorbikes or bare fist boxing.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #24
tbearz

yeah its better to break bones as a child from a medical perspective because you still have time for them to grow and they are much more likely to heal and not have any problems with it in the future

but gees some of these stories are amazing, the fact that you are not paralysed or atleast walking is a miracle, esp the l3-l4 problem gees your lucky but i think the worse one would have to be the 15 fractures of the tibia at the same time of being awe struck that must be *%#!**%#!**%#!**%#!**%#!*in painful how the heck did that happen, car accident??? and how are people breaking their scaphiods, are u doing that karate wrist punch stuff or just falling over with ur hands stretched out?
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #25
slowEL
Got gas

only 3 disc in my spine s#%t them self...no broken bits...hmmm Built Ford Tough me thinks.
slowEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I haven't broken anything (so far, though having said that...) but I have torn all the ligaments in both ankles, and I sprain them easily now. I find if I have to walk around a lot then they start to ache at the end of the day, and through the night.
I've had Xrays done on them, and they said there was "trauma" visible, but I couldn't see it. They don't think I have arthritis yet, but it's really only a matter of time.
I should continue doing the exercises the physio told me to do, but I couldn't be bothered.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
HOON69
Banned

my wife broke her wrist whilst performing a U turn car about 4 yrs ago ,clips side kurb wheel flings about hands not in correct posture and nows she stuck with plates and screws in there for the rest of her life

cold days do suck though it hurts aches etc
she's also been hit by a car on a zebra crossing when she was 19 broke her collar bone hip knee etc so every winter is bad when its cold etc

my son just got his cast off from breaking his 2 main bones in the arm (near the wrist) another case of plates and screws for a while..

i never clean broken any bones cracked a few but only problem i have is a bone disease in my knee's only plays up if i walk too far or lift heavy heavy items etc or when its cold etc
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #28
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
and how are people breaking their scaphiods, are u doing that karate wrist punch stuff or just falling over with ur hands stretched out?
Fell out of a shopping trolley with outstretched hands.
Old 31-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Both collar bones - (fell out of a car)
Fractured shin - (Axe accident)
Broken Knuckle and right index finger
Disslocated both knees at the same time - that one hurt well and good (hockey accident)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #30
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Broke my left arm twice.

Once when I was 7, and again when I was 13.

Skateboarding to the EXTREME isn't as EXTREME after you break yourself doing it...
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post