Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Default Help Needed - Uni Assignment

G'Day Guys,

I am doing a couple of uni assignments on the Automotive industry. Anyways I am looking for facts and alas I can't find the person who said it or where to find information to confirm it.

The only stipulation is that it needs to be a reliable source (IE. No wikipedia or blogs)

So alas here is my list lol
  • "Australia is one of only several countries who can design, devolp and build cars" was said by who?
  • The Monaro = Pontiac GTO is USA but what was it called in UK (Vauxhall ?) and in the Middle East (Chevy or Pontiac?)
  • Australia is claimed to be the most competative industry in the world who said it?
  • # of Manufacturers and # Models on the Aust'n market?
  • Who else did Ateco import? (I know they use to import Kia and MG)
  • Anyone have a good website or somewhere that shows the devolpment of the Australia auto industry? I know it was knock down kits and then the Japanese and then Sth Korea and now China but is there a pretty diagram or timeline etc?

Thanks

Damian

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vauxhall VXR (UK monaro) http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/htm...downloads.html

Cant find any on the monaro but this is close : http://www.autoclub.com.au/2007/12/c...ins-award.html

In the middle east its supposed to be called the Chevrolet Lumina S and SS coupes, but cant find any solid info on them apart from blogs. You will find the naming from an old press release holden made. Should be easily found through google.

Thats just a bit of a google to get you started.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Thanks I've tried googling but all I've been getting is forums and blogs etc not "facts" or "news" or press articles etc.

Previously:
Old 14-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Library membership?
Old 14-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
Library membership?
What is a Library ?
Old 14-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
falzoony
Rockin '67

Try a wiki search because some pages have valid refrences at the bottom then use those links to get your info.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

The library really only has old info.

To get 2008 or 2009 you need online.

Wikipedia - Have productions and auto details on about 20 countries and Aust is not one of them :togo:

Previously:
Old 14-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Ateco used to import Suzuki in the late 70s-80s
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
G'Day Guys,

I[*]"Australia is one of only several countries who can design, devolp and build cars" was said by who?
IIRC Ken Rudd said it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
G'Day Guys,

[list][*]"Australia is one of only several countries who can design, devolp and build cars" was said by who?

That article was in the Herald Sun, it was said a Mercedes Benz Top Brass, i can't remember if it was thier CEO but.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I ended up finding the Monaro thing and a HEAP of sales and international production data.

39 Countries produce and Aust is the 20th largest producer.

I also tried carsguide but they put out a million articles a week so anyone happen to remember roughly when it was said?

Thanks again

Previously:
Old 15-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Yippie heres another one : :

Australia is one of only 15 countries with the capability to take a car from concept all the way to full production. This capability encompasses strong skill sets in R&D, design, engineering, product and process development and advanced manufacturing. This means that for a small country, Australia can produce vehicles and components, and for a world market provide design and engineering services (and a world market can produce automotive goods and services for Australia).

Previously:
Old 15-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
gocruzin
Ford tragic

heres a link to that document http://www.innovation.gov.au/automot.../Chapter2.html
Old 15-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
Yeah thats where I just found it lol

Previously:
Old 17-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
G'Day Guys,

I am doing a couple of uni assignments on the Automotive industry. Anyways I am looking for facts and alas I can't find the person who said it or where to find information to confirm it.

The only stipulation is that it needs to be a reliable source (IE. No wikipedia or blogs)

So alas here is my list lol
  • "Australia is one of only several countries who can design, devolp and build cars" was said by who?
  • The Monaro = Pontiac GTO is USA but what was it called in UK (Vauxhall ?) and in the Middle East (Chevy or Pontiac?)
  • Australia is claimed to be the most competative industry in the world who said it?
  • # of Manufacturers and # Models on the Aust'n market?
  • Who else did Ateco import? (I know they use to import Kia and MG)
  • Anyone have a good website or somewhere that shows the devolpment of the Australia auto industry? I know it was knock down kits and then the Japanese and then Sth Korea and now China but is there a pretty diagram or timeline etc?

Thanks

Damian
Ill try and help you out, but im a lazy sod. But Yes I'm doing something similiar; currently writing an honours thesis on the state of Australian Manufacturing, with quite a large emphasis on auto manufacturing.

As for your Q's

1. No idea, probably one of the australian car manufacuting heads, probably Holden (And it is right it is a pretty short list)
2. Vauxhall VXR (Monaro, now VXR8 Commodore), Chevroleot Omega (Commodore- Brazil), Chevroleot Caprice (Commodore- Mid East/South Africa), Buick Royaum (Statesman- China)
3. NFI, and they are only correct to some extent. They would no doubt be refering to the low levels of tariffs and quota protection in Australia, not the inherent effiency of manufacturing cars in Australia (RHD, Sheer distance from markets and labour costs kill that)
4. Check out the FCAI (Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries)
5. I know they do Alfa Romeo and FIAT (Give em a call might be a shot)
6. Well there are a few good books, that outline the industry, use interlibrary loan if you cant get them, as for websites, well Im not sure im trying to avoid the web but the DIISR (Fed Gov), FCAI, MTA-V (Motor Trades Victoria) AMWU (Union), plus some the more reputable auto journalists are fine. As for a rough timeline well, there are some real pretty timelines buried in some of those reports and in some of the books

---
Starts with small scale coach building and final assemblies

1936- Motor Engine Bounty Bill & Motor Vehicle Agreement Act- An attempt to monopolise Australian car manufacturing which failed

1939-1945- The War

1948- GMH Holden is setup with the support of CHifley (Chifley chose expendience over virtually everything else it going for Holden)

1950s- Establishment of the Big 4 (GMH, Ford, Chrysler and BMH)

1960s- Growthing in CKD construction/ Local content plans, due to increased tariff and quota barriers (Mc Ewanism and the Tarrif Board)

1970s- Whitlam reforms 80/20 Quota Rule

1984- Button Car Plan/ Model Rationalisation

1990s- Tariff Reduction and Attempts at export facilitation

It is always intresting to compare Australian developement with those overseas- Britain, Canada and NZ are some good ones.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 17-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Ill try and help you out, but im a lazy sod. But Yes I'm doing something similiar; currently writing an honours thesis on the state of Australian Manufacturing, with quite a large emphasis on auto manufacturing.

As for your Q's

1. No idea, probably one of the australian car manufacuting heads, probably Holden (And it is right it is a pretty short list)
2. Vauxhall VXR (Monaro, now VXR8 Commodore), Chevroleot Omega (Commodore- Brazil), Chevroleot Caprice (Commodore- Mid East/South Africa), Buick Royaum (Statesman- China)
3. NFI, and they are only correct to some extent. They would no doubt be refering to the low levels of tariffs and quota protection in Australia, not the inherent effiency of manufacturing cars in Australia (RHD, Sheer distance from markets and labour costs kill that)
4. Check out the FCAI (Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries)
5. I know they do Alfa Romeo and FIAT (Give em a call might be a shot)
6. Well there are a few good books, that outline the industry, use interlibrary loan if you cant get them, as for websites, well Im not sure im trying to avoid the web but the DIISR (Fed Gov), FCAI, MTA-V (Motor Trades Victoria) AMWU (Union), plus some the more reputable auto journalists are fine. As for a rough timeline well, there are some real pretty timelines buried in some of those reports and in some of the books

---
Starts with small scale coach building and final assemblies

1936- Motor Engine Bounty Bill & Motor Vehicle Agreement Act- An attempt to monopolise Australian car manufacturing which failed

1939-1945- The War

1948- GMH Holden is setup with the support of CHifley (Chifley chose expendience over virtually everything else it going for Holden)

1950s- Establishment of the Big 4 (GMH, Ford, Chrysler and BMH)

1960s- Growthing in CKD construction/ Local content plans, due to increased tariff and quota barriers (Mc Ewanism and the Tarrif Board)

1970s- Whitlam reforms 80/20 Quota Rule

1984- Button Car Plan/ Model Rationalisation

1990s- Tariff Reduction and Attempts at export facilitation

It is always intresting to compare Australian developement with those overseas- Britain, Canada and NZ are some good ones.
Hello new best friend lol

"Australian Automotive Manufacturing" is my next assignment I am just about to start on........

I think I've raided every bit of FCAI so far lol

Theres also OICD and the Steve Bracks report as well that I've found useful.

"Review of Australia's Automotive Industry"
http://www.innovation.gov.au/automot...eIndustry.aspx

But later in this week once I cap off these current ones I am going to start on the Australia industry and its history.

Previously:
Old 17-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

For oz Auto Industry quotes search the back issues of John Mellor's Newsletter here http://www.goautomedia.com/mellor/me.../Back%20Issues
Old 18-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I've found 'Google Scholar' and 'Proquest' to be quite helpful. On most occasions you can just type in the phrase and you will get a result from a credible source.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post