Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Electric Ford Transit - How will this work?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...g-to-australia

Ford have said they are bringing the Electric Ford Transit in 2024 to Aus. Now I am fine with electric cars, but that’s not the question I am asking.

The scenario is you start work with an employer who gives you a company car to take home. Very common. Along with it comes a fuel card to fuel it. You don’t go to the depot or office as you work on site or as a courier, travelling around all day.

How is it going to work with an electric van? Electricity allowance? The car counts the KWh it uses, and the employer pays for that at a particular rate? Employer pays employee for an hour to go to a quick charger? Charger installed at employees home? Employee needs off street parking?

For me, I drive an Iload. I can’t charge at site, am often not there long enough. Charging from a 10A power point won’t be enough to keep the battery topped up for the 500-600kms a week I do (proposed range of the transit is 300+km), I live in a rental, who pays for the charger install and then again when I have to move? Do I need to park in the garage now (van won’t fit, not kicking personal cars out for a car I don’t own).

I see this as a complex situation, not even just from a van usage point of view, company cars in general, if they become electric, what happens? I think the idea of an electric company car falls to pieces here. Far too many variables to keep these things charged and running in my eyes. Will work for some, but for many it won’t.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Electric Ford Transit - How will this work?

They'll probably have you leave your van at site, have the chargers at your base and then you take your personal car to and from home/base.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:39 PM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They'll probably have you leave your van at site, have the chargers at your base and then you take your personal car to and from home/base.
Outside of that being a complete pain for myself (I’d want a payrise for losing the company car for personal use) not all places will have enough space to park and charge several cars/vans each night.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:42 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Outside of that being a complete pain for myself (I’d want a payrise for losing the company car for personal use) not all places will have enough space to park and charge several cars/vans each night.
I'm hearing ya, I know what you mean but its pretty common now where they have 'pool cars' rather than 'company cars', I think it may be a tax minimisation strategy or some creative accounting stuff that's above my security clearance

All our guys had their company cars taken off them.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm hearing ya, I know what you mean but its pretty common now where they have 'pool cars' rather than 'company cars', I think it may be a tax minimisation strategy or some creative accounting stuff that's above my security clearance

All our guys had their company cars taken off them.
Yeah that is true. Government departments do this a lot.

I guess I’m just seeing it from my point of view. My company car has my tools, my set up ready for work. I leave from home and travel from site to site all day, rarely going into the office. I know a few companies with plenty of employees on the roads with company cars staying at the employees home. Not sure a pool car set up or parking the company car at the office scenario would work here.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, let's do some maths ...

68kWhr battery into 300km implies a consumption of 0.226kWh per kilometre (which sounds about right).

Doing 600km per week suggests a power consumption of 136kWh per week. Plug in your current electricity bill rate (mine is $0.20 per kWh) and this comes up with a fuel bill of $27.2 per week. Given that this cost is relatively fixed, the employer might choose to simply give one an extra $30 weekly pay. But, I am sure unions will come up with something creative.

As an aside, the diesel is around 10l/100km. Assuming 600km per week (60 litres of diesel), currently around $2 per litre, gives a fuel bill of $120 per week.

As for recharging, a standard socket outlet gives 2.3kWh. Assuming that the vehicle is sitting in the garage 10hrs per night, this gives around 23kWh of recharge per night.

Assuming 600km per week implies a daily run of 120km, which needs 26.4kWh (say 27kWh to keep the maths cleaner).

Running through a weekly recharge schedule ...

Monday morning, fully recharged (over the weekend), capacity is 68kWh.
Monday evening, the battery capacity will be 68-27kWh = 41kWh.

Tuesday morning, the battery has recharged by 23kWh. The battery capacity will be 41+23= 64kWh.
Tuesday evening, the battery capacity will be 64-27=37kWh.

Wednesday morning, the battery has recharged by 23kWh overnight. The battery capacity will be 37+23=60kWh.
Wednesday evening, the battery capacity will be 60-27=33kWh.

Thursday morning, the battery has recharged overnight by 23kWh. The capacity will be 33+23=56kWh. Thursday evening, the battery will be 56-27=29kWh.

Friday morning the battery has partially recharged overnight by 23kWh. The capacity will be 52kWh. By Friday evening the battery capacity will be 25kWh.

Assuming the vehicle has some down time over the weekend, it will need around 19 hours to fully recharge.

As for recharging in the home, yes, I agree that a significant proportion of the population does not have ready access to an additional power outlet for EV recharging or even space in the yard / unit complex. Reading through the information on the Ford web site, it appears that the vehicle will take 42kWh of charge in just over 30 minutes at a fast charging site. Might have to try and slip a charge in over lunch or smoko.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wont suit everyone, but those businesses with back to base fleet (Aust post or council depot) whos vehicles have a set run or stay close by, will suit very well. I can see any shop selling smoko or coffee installing fast chargers so the tradies can drop in and top up while they eat, repeat for every bunnings/reece or electrical supplier.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-05-2022, 08:58 PM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Well, let's do some maths ...

68kWhr battery into 300km implies a consumption of 0.226kWh per kilometre (which sounds about right).

Doing 600km per week suggests a power consumption of 136kWh per week. Plug in your current electricity bill rate (mine is $0.20 per kWh) and this comes up with a fuel bill of $27.2 per week. Given that this cost is relatively fixed, the employer might choose to simply give one an extra $30 weekly pay. But, I am sure unions will come up with something creative.

As an aside, the diesel is around 10l/100km. Assuming 600km per week (60 litres of diesel), currently around $2 per litre, gives a fuel bill of $120 per week.

As for recharging, a standard socket outlet gives 2.3kWh. Assuming that the vehicle is sitting in the garage 10hrs per night, this gives around 23kWh of recharge per night.

Assuming 600km per week implies a daily run of 120km, which needs 26.4kWh (say 27kWh to keep the maths cleaner).

Running through a weekly recharge schedule ...

Monday morning, fully recharged (over the weekend), capacity is 68kWh.
Monday evening, the battery capacity will be 68-27kWh = 41kWh.

Tuesday morning, the battery has recharged by 23kWh. The battery capacity will be 41+23= 64kWh.
Tuesday evening, the battery capacity will be 64-27=37kWh.

Wednesday morning, the battery has recharged by 23kWh overnight. The battery capacity will be 37+23=60kWh.
Wednesday evening, the battery capacity will be 60-27=33kWh.

Thursday morning, the battery has recharged overnight by 23kWh. The capacity will be 33+23=56kWh. Thursday evening, the battery will be 56-27=29kWh.

Friday morning the battery has partially recharged overnight by 23kWh. The capacity will be 52kWh. By Friday evening the battery capacity will be 25kWh.

Assuming the vehicle has some down time over the weekend, it will need around 19 hours to fully recharge.

As for recharging in the home, yes, I agree that a significant proportion of the population does not have ready access to an additional power outlet for EV recharging or even space in the yard / unit complex. Reading through the information on the Ford web site, it appears that the vehicle will take 42kWh of charge in just over 30 minutes at a fast charging site. Might have to try and slip a charge in over lunch or smoko.
Thank you for the maths! I would have thought a normal socket would be anywhere near enough. But it doesn’t leave a great of flexibility for long runs or even some personal use.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cars at my work travel from 120,000 to 200,000kms a year. I wonder if they even spend enough time parked at the depot to charge the battery. Fast chargers or nothing I guess.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 PM   #10
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thank you for the maths! I would have thought a normal socket would be anywhere near enough. But it doesn’t leave a great of flexibility for long runs or even some personal use.
Agreed. You probably want to have a well established delivery run. That said, for this type of business case the economics are reasonably clear cut yes or no.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 12:28 AM   #11
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Just a note on the rental, you could get a 32 amp socket installed rather than fit a charger and simply plug in to it with the charger. Simple and more common than you think where people don't want to mount a charger itself.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 07:33 AM   #12
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

My work for example with pool vehicles could do this easily as all our travelling is within melbourne mostly.
My son though.. being a tradie with a work issued ute would struggle as his ute wont fit in the garage so sits on the road. He would have to run an extension lead each night to the ute to charge it. On site would not be an option as theres never enough room for every tradie to park in the site or enough power on top of all the rtools etc that are charging or being run to cope..
Unless there is a total ban on selling ice tradie vehicles.. i think its more likely they will run side by side so to speak.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Just a note on the rental, you could get a 32 amp socket installed rather than fit a charger and simply plug in to it with the charger. Simple and more common than you think where people don't want to mount a charger itself.

Remind us again of the cost of fitting a dedicated 32 Amp socket.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #14
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
About $250-$550 from what people have said. Depends on how much wiring is needed in the end and the rates of your sparky. The socket itself isn't much. Cost me $400 at my folks place for a backup.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Isn't a 32A socket 3 phase power/415V? One imagines probably there in an apartment complex due to some massive shared AC system and elevators, but I'm not sure if its there at your typical house.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Isn't a 32A socket 3 phase power? One imagines probably there in an apartment complex but I'm not sure if its there at your typical house.
No sir. You can run 32 amps single phase just fine. About 7kw power draw. Most home chargers are single phase 32 amps given not everyone has 3 phase; The Chargers can be setup to run single phase or 3 phase depending on whats available though some chargers are hard locked to the phase draw they can handle.

No car on market can charge at 32 amps 3 phase bar early Model S with dual chargers. They pulled 32amps (22kw). Most EVs can pull 32amps on Single phase or a max of 16amps on 3 phase (11kw). The BMW iX, EQ Range, Model 3/Y, etc. are all limited to 16amps on 3 phase. Our Model S can do 24 amps on 3 phase. Be interesting what the new Model S does next year.

Last edited by kypez; 11-05-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No sir. You can run 32 amps single phase just fine. About 7kw power draw. Most home chargers are single phase 32 amps given not everyone has 3 phase; The Chargers can be setup to run single phase or 3 phase depending on whats available those some chargers are hard locked to the phase draw they can handle.

No car on market can charge at 32 amps 3 phase bar early Model S with dual chargers. They pulled 32amps (22kw). Most EVs can pull 32amps on Single phase or a max of 16amps on 3 phase (11kw). The BMW iX, EQ Range, Model 3/Y, etc. are all limited to 16amps on 3 phase. Our Model S can do 24 amps on 3 phase. Be interesting what the new Model S does next year.

Well, I stand corrected good sir.

Screenshot this because I generally will die on a hill even if I am wrong
Old 11-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford Pro which should be coming here soon, is a division within Ford that does commercial vehicle management. Might offer solutions for these sort of issues.

https://fordpro.com/en-us/

Imagine combining the world-class cars, trucks, vans and SUVs you need to build your fleet with the service options, financing flexibility and telematics data you need to manage it. With Ford Pro, you can do just that and:

Shop for and finance a fleet that suits your specific business needs
Improve fleet uptime through new service and maintenance options
Manage all-electric vehicle charging with E-Telematics1
Monitor your fleet’s vehicle health data with cloud-based software solutions from Ford Pro™ Intelligence™2
Track vehicles and driver behaviors with Ford Pro™ Telematics2
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #19
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably around the same cost as a few tanks of petrol at current prices.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
About $250-$550 from what people have said. Depends on how much wiring is needed in the end and the rates of your sparky. The socket itself isn't much. Cost me $400 at my folks place for a backup.

didn't you spend 2 grand at your place?
Old 11-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Good luck finding a tradie prepared to do it.

4 years ago I contacted a number of sparkies to arrange a 15a socket to plug my Sons caravan in, the van has long since departed and im still waiting on a call back..lol
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #22
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
didn't you spend 2 grand at your place?
Yes (think it was $1500 or so but thats neither here nor there). Because I have 2 chargers that are both 3 Phase and had 30 meters of wiring that I needed to run from the power board to the garage to allow 40amps of current draw.

My single phase charger cost $400 to install. Thats a 32 amp charger that I use in case my mum stays over for a few days with her EV.

Last edited by kypez; 11-05-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #23
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Good luck finding a tradie prepared to do it.

4 years ago I contacted a number of sparkies to arrange a 15a socket to plug my Sons caravan in, the van has long since departed and im still waiting on a call back..lol
Thats a bit rubbish from them. The people I know turned up in a couple of days to do the job. Where are you located? I know the horse has bolted but reach out if you're in Sydney and I'll hook you up. Getting the guys to install a charger at my in-laws place cause we're about to get them an EV as well. They were more than happy to do the job.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thats a bit rubbish from them. The people I know turned up in a couple of days to do the job. Where are you located? I know the horse has bolted but reach out if you're in Sydney and I'll hook you up. Getting the guys to install a charger at my in-laws place cause we're about to get them an EV as well. They were more than happy to do the job.
Adelaide mate, unfortunately local tradies wont even reply to voice mail messages unless you want 20k worth of work done here.
We cant even get a start date on an entire house build, received a message from the builder saying big delays as the materials and tradesmen are being redirected to the flood damaged regions up north.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #25
Pokitren
Starter Motor

Quote:
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...g-to-australia

Ford have said they are bringing the Electric Ford Transit in 2024 to Aus. Now I am fine with electric cars, but that’s not the question I am asking.

The scenario is you start work with an employer who gives you a company car to take home. Very common. Along with it comes a fuel card to fuel it. You don’t go to the depot or office as you work on site or as a courier, travelling around all day.

How is it going to work with an electric van? Electricity allowance? The car counts the KWh it uses, and the employer pays for that at a particular rate? Employer pays employee for an hour to go to a quick charger? Charger installed at employees home? Employee needs off street parking?

For me, I drive an Iload. I can’t charge at site, am often not there long enough. Charging from a 10A power point won’t be enough to keep the battery topped up for the 500-600kms a week I do (proposed range of the transit is 300+km), I live in a rental, who pays for the charger install and then again when I have to move? Do I need to park in the garage now (van won’t fit, not kicking personal cars out for a car I don’t own).

I see this as a complex situation, not even just from a van usage point of view, company cars in general, if they become electric, what happens? I think the idea of an electric company car falls to pieces here. Far too many variables to keep these things charged and running in my eyes. Will work for some, but for many it won’t.
It seems to me that companies will come up with something by 2024. But the way I see it is that the cost of an electric car will be included in the same scheme as an internal combustion engine car.
Pokitren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #26
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a business like mine, for our metro runs van does 80-150km/day maybe up to 200km if some regional work, this will be perfect.

Our factory has 3 phase already, I'll even buy a charger if I have to and imagine 198kW in a delivery van....if they can carry up to 1000kg I'm ordering, if they can carry 1000Kg and tow 2000kg and maybe in AWD I'll buy two.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #27
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes (think it was $1500 or so but thats neither here nor there). Because I have 2 chargers that are both 3 Phase and had 30 meters of wiring that I needed to run from the power board to the garage to allow 40amps of current draw.

My single phase charger cost $400 to install. Thats a 32 amp charger that I use in case my mum stays over for a few days with her EV.
Im actually running 3 phase to an external garage Im building at the moment, its costing me $2500 to run the cable alone.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #28
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Im actually running 3 phase to an external garage Im building at the moment, its costing me $2500 to run the cable alone.
As with anything, it depends on your electrician, your relationship with them and how much they want to rip you off or not.

Found the bill. Exactly between what we both said! And it was 40 meters of wiring not 30. $1760 including GST. I upgraded to a 40 amp circuit breaker (the wiring was overspecced for that reason) when I put the second charger in

Last edited by kypez; 12-05-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As with anything, it depends on your electrician, your relationship with them and how much they want to rip you off or not.

Found the bill. Exactly between what we both said! And it was 40 meters of wiring not 30. $1760 including GST. I upgraded to a 40 amp circuit breaker (the wiring was overspecced for that reason) when I put the second charger in

mine needs to go up from the circuit board to 2nd storey roof down again and underground so will be around 40M too but I think its the climbing through the roof that makes it expensive
Old 12-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #30
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
mine needs to go up from the circuit board to 2nd storey roof down again and underground so will be around 40M too but I think its the climbing through the roof that makes it expensive
Once you start going up and down and underground, the cost start to go up exponentially. Ours was all above ground and ran it under the balcony to the garage. Long wiring but easier setup.