Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Philbie
Drvtme

Default 6 speed Auto - who'd have one?

It's said it'll arrive in the new falcon in October - and it's also said they are testing the current Jag system too.

Good or bad - True or false, would you opt for the 6 speed auto? and why?

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Yes. Better ratios, better performance, better economy!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbie
It's said it'll arrive in the new falcon in October - and it's also said they are testing the current Jag system too.

Good or bad - True or false, would you opt for the 6 speed auto? and why?
Isn't the new 6speed going to be the Jag auto?
I wouldn't knock it back, even if I dont think its needed unlees Ford are about to add LOTS more KWs. :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

6spd Auto Typhoon. Now that would move.

6spd would be awsome.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Philbie
Drvtme

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Isn't the new 6speed going to be the Jag auto?
I wouldn't knock it back, even if I dont think its needed unlees Ford are about to add LOTS more KWs. :
so they say - but I don't think it has been confirmed yet - but I could well be wrong.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
irsa76
Snoopping

Six speed autos are the way to go. They work great at masking an engine's lack of grunt and thirst when they are setup right, take a new Beetle Cabrio auto for a drive to see what I mean.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #7
Philbie
Drvtme

Merc are now on the 7 speeds......go figure
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on their gear ratios they could be better than the manuals. Unfortunately I still like being in control
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They are heaps stronger than the current 4 speed and the fuel economy will be at least 8% better. A 6 speed auto fitted to a standard 6 was nearly a whole second quicker to 100 than the current 4 speed, was mentioned in Motor about a year ago. Getting rid of that tall first gear in the 4 speed should make it a whole lot quicker off the line too. Not long now boys.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Barry_v
rocknrolla

i wonder if its going to be feasible to convert older auto cars to a 6 speed. It'd sure be a better option than going 4.11s in your auto e-series. stupid tall first gear.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
depending on their gear ratios they could be better than the manuals. Unfortunately I still like being in control
I agree with Jeff. I like being in control. In fact, Id never have any auto over any manual.... no matter how many speeds there are....

However, for the auto people out there, the 6 speed sounds pretty good I guess.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I agree with Jeff. I like being in control. In fact, Id never have any auto over any manual.... no matter how many speeds there are....

However, for the auto people out there, the 6 speed sounds pretty good I guess.
Mind you, if I was to buy an XR6T I would probably get an auto. They seem to be setting the pace as far as drag times go ... dammit
Old 05-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Mind you, if I was to buy an XR6T I would probably get an auto. They seem to be setting the pace as far as drag times go ... dammit
Ive driven an auto XR6T... I despised it. Personal preference of course, but Id never buy an auto XR6T - was the most boring BA I have ever driven. And it didnt even seem to go that hard, even compared to my NA....Got out of it disgusted and they let me drive a manual XR8... Now THAT was fun.... My Dad, who drives an auto AUI Fairmont, drove the auto XR6T too... he also said he wouldnt get it in auto...

: Cobra :

Last edited by XRchic; 05-02-2005 at 03:05 PM.
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #14
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Yep, id have one. Nothing wrong with progressing in technology.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I wouldnt update my Pursuit UNTIL a 6 speed auto comes out, definately the way to go when you drive a truck for a living, sick of changing gears everyday.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

I'm more interested in strength of the transmission, and paticularly aftermarket availability, then how many gears it has. I think the Falcon should use Ford's AOD-E four-speed out of the Mustang. I'm probably one of the few though.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
rodderz

I'de say in october the 6 speed will sell a lot, and will go good too. Improvement in ratio's definately creates a faster and better car without having to increase Hp.

But i'm with Jeff too..... I love changing gears, i grew up with manuals and auto's i feel uncomfortable in. Even when I get a turbo ute while mines getting serviced I find myself using the SSS all the time as I cant just seem to steer and not change gears myself!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Ive driven an auto XR6T... I despised it. Personal preference of course, but Id never buy an auto XR6T - was the most boring BA I have ever driven. And it didnt even seem to go that hard, even compared to my NA....Got out of it disgusted and they let me drive a manual XR8... Now THAT was fun.... My Dad, who drives an auto AUI Fairmont, drove the auto XR6T too... he also said he wouldnt get it in auto...

I wouldn't leave it standard..that's the difference
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats an extra 2 notches you have to push the gear shift to get it into drive. I'm waiting until you can tell the car what gear you want. "Put me in reverse my good car"

Last edited by Bucknaked; 05-02-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #20
WASP
Whipple Induced

Love a 6 speed auto and I'm a manual fan. Instead of buying a GT now I have been considering holding off selling the TTSupra until the 6 speed auto's are available. All depends on what I'm offered for the Supra I guess. It's not like driving the RZ around until then is a chore :
Old 05-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

6 speed auto would be nice, but im not holding my breath.

In all honesty i have no complaints with the current 4 spd (admittedly id like BA SSS in an AU, but dont want to do the mod myself), but id definately look at a vehicle with a 6spd a lot more over a 4spd equipped one.

Still, i wont get my hopes up anytime soon.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #22
Kryton

considering i only have 3 gears in my car id take anything that has more.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #23
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
6 speed auto would be nice, but im not holding my breath.

In all honesty i have no complaints with the current 4 spd (admittedly id like BA SSS in an AU, but dont want to do the mod myself), but id definately look at a vehicle with a 6spd a lot more over a 4spd equipped one.

Still, i wont get my hopes up anytime soon.
Agreed there is absolutely nothing wrong with the BA SSS auto, I'd rather the effort was put into driveline refinement/toughness, but I guess 6 speed auto has more marketing pull and tick box cred for the journos and armchair critics. :hihi:
Old 05-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #24
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

So long as it doesn't have a clutch and I can hold a can of coke while driving, i'm in

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #25
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Agreed there is absolutely nothing wrong with the BA SSS auto, I'd rather the effort was put into driveline refinement/toughness, but I guess 6 speed auto has more marketing pull and tick box cred for the journos and armchair critics. :hihi:
Well the 6 speed will actually provide better refinement and toughness. The 4 speed is still a decent box, but doesn't hold a candle to the more modern designs, except in terms of cost I guess. A proper 6 speed auto will ALWAYS outperform a 4 speed in power delivery, economy, and refinement. Where's the "marketing pull" in that?

Anyway, for my money, in terms of the manual gearboxes, jumping out of an S15 into a BA is like going from a surgical instrument to a blunt cold chisel - you can adapt, but it's still a bit of a battle to get the end result. Just look at the dominance of the auto box at the strip in the BA's. Admittedly, the auto would not be as fun on a winding road, but then again, in a big barge like a BA, you've got a lot more to battle with getting it around a corner than just a difficult manual box. :monkes:
Old 05-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #26
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Well the 6 speed will actually provide better refinement and toughness. The 4 speed is still a decent box, but doesn't hold a candle to the more modern designs, except in terms of cost I guess. A proper 6 speed auto will ALWAYS outperform a 4 speed in power delivery, economy, and refinement. Where's the "marketing pull" in that?

Anyway, for my money, in terms of the manual gearboxes, jumping out of an S15 into a BA is like going from a surgical instrument to a blunt cold chisel - you can adapt, but it's still a bit of a battle to get the end result. Just look at the dominance of the auto box at the strip in the BA's. Admittedly, the auto would not be as fun on a winding road, but then again, in a big barge like a BA, you've got a lot more to battle with getting it around a corner than just a difficult manual box. :monkes:
Not disagreeing with you at all re: advantages of the 6 speed. but for the same money would you rather have a diff with no clunk, tougher axles, and an engine edit with less torque hole (chasm). But without a marketing angle these items have no cred to the public at purchase decision time.

without the auto manual debate, because afterall its personal preference, I have never found a V8 manual with a gear shift that didn't feel like a stiltson in a bucket of river rocks. In a RWD Toyota my choice would be quite the opposite manual all the way.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #27
Dodge
i like to be stroked

we have a 5 speed auto in the merc, its like musical gears, and tey change with a smoth glide system, so clutches dont last long and u cant adjust them..
Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

As long as they get the ratios right.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #29
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
..a diff with no clunk, tougher axles, ..
That actually raises a very good point... I wonder if any of the rest of the drivetrain behind the gearbox will be changed along with the gearbox, particularly the not-so-popular diff?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #30
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'd have a 6spd auto any day, my day's of driving like Brocky are over (fiqure of speach) I'd much rather a nice cruising vehicle, that's why I'm waiting for this new auto to arrive.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post