Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
excalibur1491

Default Noise in the engine

Hi,

Following my "noise in the clutch" post, you probably think my car is a music box, but still, there is yet another noise...
So I brought the car to Ford for a regular service on wednesday.
I bring it back on thursday because I started hearing a noise after i picked it up.
From the inside, you can hear it commes from the passanger side, s I open the bonnet/hood and approaching my head to the space between the battery and the engine, I hear there is like an intermittent whistle.

At first, they have no idea what it is, so the ask me to leave it with them. In the afternoon, before they close I call and ask if they figured it out. They tell me "its normal operation, we ocmpared to another WQ Fiesta"... Obvisouly, when I got thee, the other Fiesta wasn there so I couldn't compare myself.
Their explanation is that there is avalve that opens and closes to release pesure...

I am pretty sure I did not hear that sound before, and it bothers me a lot because I saw the car 4 times and test drove it 4 times before buying it last thursday and now, one week later, there is a something going on already...

I recorded the sound. Its in the "Engine.doc" file (just rename it to Engine.mp3). From the begining, you hear the whistle, then at second 6, its stops and starts again. Then I moved so it makes a weird noise, but then from 10 to 13 you can hear it perfectly comming and going.

Is this normal? Or should I bring it to another mechanic? Because I can't afford going to a mechanic for nothing...
If your guess is "the steering pump", that's not it. That also makes a sound, but you can hear it comes from the steering side, not from far away, from the battery side
The exact car model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk6, 1.6L, engine DuraTEC

Thanks!!

By the way, its absolutely not this noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPVnHQia1A
Attached Files
File Type: doc Engine.doc (149.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by excalibur1491; 10-04-2015 at 10:04 PM.
excalibur1491 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Noise in the engine

If it's not affecting the overall performance of the car mate then I wouldn't be overly concerned about it myself, electronic injection makes a lot of noise on engines too and along with emission control valves etc etc ..... they tend to make a variety of noises. In the meantime just drive it and see. If the Ford service dept. say it's normal operation and you're concerned about it ask them to put it writing for you, then if there is an issue you will have something to document that it was checked by them and passed as OK For what it's worth, I'm sure most people have been or will be in a similar situation at some stage of owning a car and it can be quite daunting especially when finances are tight, I've been there and experienced it myself but if you start to worry about every single noise or rattle or squeak you hear you will never be able to relax and enjoy the ride :( I have now adopted the attitude that " If it aint broke don't fix it " and if and when it does worry about it then

Last edited by Russ; 11-04-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Their explanation is that there is a valve that opens and closes to release pesure...

these newer cars ..really ..

sorry only have an old version of windows ..cant open your word doc

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-04-2015 at 10:28 AM.
dirty hands is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
excalibur1491

Russ, yes, I might go get them give me a paper that says that they thought all was good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hands View Post
Their explanation is that there is a valve that opens and closes to release pesure...

these newer cars ..really ..

sorry only have an old version of windows ..cant open your word doc
Oh, just cahnge the extension from .doc to .mp3 . The forum doesn't allow to upload .mp3 files, so I had to change the extension to something allowed. But its just an audio file.

If you could take a look, that would be awesome

Thanks!
Old 14-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
excalibur1491

Hi again,

I went to another mechanic and he said it could be the "fuel pressure regulator". He will take a look on thursday to the car.

Does that seem reasonable? I dont even know what that is myself!

thanks!
Old 14-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
excalibur1491

By the way, here is the sound, I found a place to upload it:
Thanks http://picosong.com/VWDJ

Old 14-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
dirty hands
Over Thinker

I need more time to get my head around this engine design

if the engine uses shims on valves its something else

it sure idles high
back later

the noise is at cam speed interesting

its too noisy an engine...so how many km on it
http://picosong.com/VWDJ/
Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk6, 1.6L, engine DuraTEC on youtube turn the crappy music down

the valves system look like a cam shim design

ah maybe timing chains cogs and guides worn out .. the tensioner is a spring type ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MUL3vtZ5o

Last edited by dirty hands; 14-04-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 14-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
excalibur1491

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

It only has 97000kms. Its not too noisy honestly, but I put the phone when I recorded really next to the engine with the hood opened so maybe that's why it sounds loud.

The timing belt was changed not too long ago (at 90000km) and since Ford tried to very much rip me off, if there was something wrong with that, they would have said for sure.
Also, the noise comes from the opposite side to the timing belt. It really sounds like air or some liquid is leaking from somewhere, but I can't see where or why..

It has to be something that they could have done wrong...

Thanks again!
Quote:
I need more time to get my head around this engine design

if the engine uses shims on valves its something else

it sure idles high
back later

its too noisy an engine...so how many km on it
http://picosong.com/VWDJ/
Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk6, 1.6L, engine DuraTEC on youtube turn the crappy music down

the valves system look like a cam shim design

ah maybe timing chains cogs and guides worn out .. the tensioner is a spring type ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MUL3vtZ5o
Old 14-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
dirty hands
Over Thinker

fianally found this
this is a 2008 fiesta Zetec 1.6 petrlo engine idleing

go to 7:00 when they lift the bonnet .... that is how it should sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5hFyKfYIs

Now I am confused

all timing belts but not for a duratec motor only diesesls and zetecs
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/en...omponents_472/

found the timing belt http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford...2144_c_472.htm

.the duratec engine by youtube ...claims it has timing chains ..Now I cant find the part listing

Last edited by dirty hands; 14-04-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 14-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
excalibur1491

Hi,

again, many thanks for your time, man!

Looking at the video, I can tell its sounds pretty much the same, but ill check again tonight when I come back home from work.
The sound I recorded, I really putt he phone next to the engine (like 5 cm away) so it sounds loud, but that way you can clearly hear the weird noise.

Mine is a petrol engine, and I am 100% sure it has timing belt. My brother has the same car, and its a timing belt. And I know they changed it and the water pump before I bought it, I saw the invoice

I still can't figure out what the problem is... The mechanic I saw yesterday said it could be the fuel pressure regulator, that might be full of **** and has to release pressure all the time.. I don't even know if that makes any sense, but at least this guy looked like he knew something, not like the guys at Ford.... will never go there again..

Quote:
fianally found this
this is a 2008 fiesta Zetec 1.6 petrlo engine idleing

go to 7:00 when they lift the bonnet .... that is how it should sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5hFyKfYIs

WEll check this out

timing belt is the part for the diesel : Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duartorq Diesel Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit

and also a belt for petrol listed for both motors 1.2 and 1.4

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/sear...mit=50&cat=472

.the duratec engine by youtube ...claims it has timing chains ..Now I cant find the part listing
Old 14-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
dirty hands
Over Thinker

as long as it sounds the same as that 2008 demo

think everything under the hood should be ok

keep us posted
Old 14-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it does sound a bit noisy, but it is always hard to tell with a microphone, they pick up every single metalic noise on an engine.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
excalibur1491

Now you all scare me haha
The only problem I hear is that sort of "whistle/air-leak". I don't feel like the engine makes a very loud sound... maybe I should make a video. It honestly sounds the same as the Ford Fiesta auto that I saw after mine starting doing that whislte thing to compare.

Maybe, also, I don't remember, but I put Unleaded 91 by mistake, I think I recorded the sound while it still had Unleaded91 in it, now I put unleaded 98 because the manual says at least 95.

Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
it does sound a bit noisy, but it is always hard to tell with a microphone, they pick up every single metalic noise on an engine.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1491 View Post
The only problem I hear is that sort of "whistle/air-leak". I don't feel like the engine makes a very loud sound... maybe I should make a video. It honestly sounds the same as the Ford Fiesta auto that I saw after mine starting doing that whislte thing to compare.

Maybe, also, I don't remember, but I put Unleaded 91 by mistake, I think I recorded the sound while it still had Unleaded91 in it, now I put unleaded 98 because the manual says at least 95.

Thanks again guys!
I put 91 in our WP once. Straight out of the station is sounded absolutely horrible and lost a heap of grunt. Never again. Give it a few tanks on 95/98. See how it goes.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
excalibur1491

Thanks!
The guy at the station said "Just use unleaded 91" when I asked about E10. Honestly, my first car, right after I bought it, I didn't think too much. Wont make that mistake again!
Anyway, I don't think that would explain the whistle. Hopefully the guy on thursday will be able to figure it out!

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I put 91 in our WP once. Straight out of the station is sounded absolutely horrible and lost a heap of grunt. Never again. Give it a few tanks on 95/98. See how it goes.
Old 16-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1491 View Post

Thanks again guys!
sorry not trying to scare you mate, playing it again now you mention it i do hear a bit of a hiss,
the old smart phone camera is pretty good for snapping a bunch of pictures in areas you cant get your head around to see, you can wack them on the pc and have a really good look for anything that looks wrong or out of place, vacuum hose off , leaks ,etc.

i have no clue how much plumbing is on the fiesta, if theres stuff hard to see it might worth a look.
it also be worth just getting a screwdriver or two and a couple of spanners and double check theres nothing loose, air intake hoses, manifold bolts,exhaust, etc,etc.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
Pursya

Don't understand the 91 hate.
Never put anything else into our WT, because my employer pays for it and he's a tight ****! (Nah, just kidding, he's pretty good)
I don't have any noises or any noticeable loss of power. Though I have always thought it was underpowered after driving the Barina Sri for years.
I don't think I've ever seen anything in the manual about 95 only.
I stand to be corrected though.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #18
excalibur1491

Hi,

I just uploaded a video.
At second 5 and next few seconds you can totally hear the hiss, otherwise, a the end, no way you can miss it.
https://vid.me/CZUY

I brought it to the mechanic today, he said he would tll me by 3pm. I didn't call, so I call him back and the secretary told me they were trying to clean something (he had no clue what) and they would call me tomorrow. I hope they didn't damage th car more than the guys at Ford...

Can anyone identify that sound? If the mechanic doesnt find out but you do, Iĺl let you know your hypothesis!

Thanks guys!
Old 16-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #19
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
Don't understand the 91 hate.
Never put anything else into our WT, because my employer pays for it and he's a tight ****! (Nah, just kidding, he's pretty good)
I don't have any noises or any noticeable loss of power. Though I have always thought it was underpowered after driving the Barina Sri for years.
I don't think I've ever seen anything in the manual about 95 only.
I stand to be corrected though.
The WT i dont think has much of an issue with it. Mines been on E10 a few times. Only difference being i think it drinks more of it.

Our WP fiesta on the other hand, 91 made a massive difference. its rated at minimum of 95. On 91 it was horrid, noisy, rattly, down on grunt.
Old 17-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #20
dirty hands
Over Thinker

yes I hear the hiss you are not going bonkers also @45 as you near the battery --

no I cant say why or where

yours https://vid.me/CZUY

the 2008
no hiss just idle @7:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5hFyKfYIs
Old 17-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #21
excalibur1491

Thanks dirty hands, at least now I know I'm not crazy.
I cant believe the guys at Ford told me its normal when they clearly damaged my car. If this mechanic is able to solve it, I'm going back to ford and I'm going to make them give me my money back, I'm going to make those bastards cry... they can do something wrong, mistakes happen, but not lie to me.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #22
TRAU BLAU

The hissing noise sounds like a vacuum leak to me.Check the induction manifold,PCV etc for leaks.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #23
excalibur1491

To me it sounds like a leak in a hose. Could that be?
Where can I find a simple (for me, who knows nothing about engine) drawing that explains where the PCV and induction manifold and what each hose is? OR if you could tell me where those 2 elements and the vacuum hose is, that would do. I suspect that hose as well. But can't tell the difference between hoses (why don't they use colors, like in electronics?)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAU BLAU View Post
The hissing noise sounds like a vacuum leak to me.Check the induction manifold,PCV etc for leaks.
Old 17-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #24
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Look for small diameter vacuum hoses (e.g. 5-8mm small black rubber hoses) that might be disconnected.
Easy for any mechanic to be distracted when finishing off a job.

Also, try an old mechanics trick.
Use a cardboard tube or piece of poly pipe stuck in your ear with the other end close to the engine, and track the noise that way. This block out all the background noise that our noggins hear when we simply lean over something.
This won't necessarily tell you 'what', but will help to pinpoint 'where'. Location of noises can be very deceiving.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #25
dirty hands
Over Thinker

yes agreed
hold to the ear
a funnel
a pvc pipe
a lenght of garden hose

for bearings and metalic noises
a long long screwdriver
Old 17-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #26
excalibur1491

Quote:
yes agreed
hold to the ear
a funnel
a pvc pipe
a lenght of garden hose

for bearings and metalic noises
a long long screwdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Look for small diameter vacuum hoses (e.g. 5-8mm small black rubber hoses) that might be disconnected.
Easy for any mechanic to be distracted when finishing off a job.

Also, try an old mechanics trick.
Use a cardboard tube or piece of poly pipe stuck in your ear with the other end close to the engine, and track the noise that way. This block out all the background noise that our noggins hear when we simply lean over something.
This won't necessarily tell you 'what', but will help to pinpoint 'where'. Location of noises can be very deceiving.
So I guess I should buy a pipe lol.

I just came back from the mechanic, he doesn't know what it is. He said he checked the hoses and they are all ok, he believes something might be vibrating. Ill try your tube trick see if I find where that comes from.

At least I'll go tomorrow to Ford to either get it fixed in front of me or get my money back...
Old 17-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
excalibur1491

These seems to be similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZtQhrdzQos
Or this one, http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...iss-in-engine/, but the guy never answered! (Dear future reader of my this topic, if I do find the issue, I will post it here so you can see it. Best, excalibur1491)
This one though, says something useful: http://passionford.com/forum/ford-fo...e-hissing.html
But I can't tell where that manifold is. I dont even know what the hell is that.
Old 18-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #28
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

There can be a little blanking plug on the inlet manifold at the rear of engine on the firewall side, if it falls off it can cause a vacuum leak. Check with a torch and look for little pipe looking plastic piece, if you feel sucking air coming out, thats your problem.

Just a thought!!
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #29
excalibur1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
There can be a little blanking plug on the inlet manifold at the rear of engine on the firewall side, if it falls off it can cause a vacuum leak. Check with a torch and look for little pipe looking plastic piece, if you feel sucking air coming out, thats your problem.

Just a thought!!
Thanks for the idea!
I looked, and I couldn't see much. I tried o put my hand in different places, see if I could block something ant the noise stops, but my hand can't reach everywhere.... So I haven't been able to identify that.

I went to Fod, they told me to come back on Tuesday, they'll take another look. I'm concerned they'll break something else, but I see no other option than leaving it with them. I can't pay another mechanic!
Old 18-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #30
dirty hands
Over Thinker

looks like we are all back at school on this problem

ignore that this article is about bad idle on a zetec

have no idea why or what . but it says in "rubber T peice "--there is a Pulse air system in the design

this link will help you find your way around the engine bay with pictures

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/ZetecIdleIssue.htm

pulse air system explained - ford is near the bottom
http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...em-automobile/

pulse time the 2nd
http://www.smogtips.com/air.cfm

how to remove pluse system from a Zetec ..good picture reference

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/fr...ec-e-vt101727/

Last edited by dirty hands; 18-04-2015 at 10:51 AM.