Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Sound deading boot question ?

my boot lid vibrates a fair bit from bass and i was woundering what options i have ? i made it so my number plate doesnt make a sound no matter how much bass there is. Just woundering more so what i can to fix it ? i heard sound deadener works the best, but i know its also expensive not that it bothers me if its going to work

anyone done it before ?

thanks
brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
JoesAu

head down to jaycar and buy some deadner off them, not bad priced, ive done my boot, really i dont think i will ever get rid of the vibrations because one day you go over it and tighten everything up, fix a few tiny vibes then 3 weeks later they start again lol so you can't win. i did a fairly extensive job, my latest vibration is the fuel lid??? and the tank i think
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
JoesAu

my boot lid never vibrates neither my number plate. it just the sh it inside the car like the parcel shelf, or the dash, and my fuel lid or fuel breather in the boot, this week im on holdays so i will fix things up a bit, using foam underlay.
Old 25-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Just turn it down?
Old 25-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Just turn it down?
sif!

Get some dynamat

I got a bulk pack from ryda and am yet to make use of it

That is another thing i gotta do when i get back

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I filled my boot, between carpet and bootlid with foam a fill, worked a treat, done it on a lot of cars that i've installed big sub systems in.
Old 26-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

i put a sponge behind the number plate, that stops that from vibrating.

then i make up 4 sections of dynamat for the 4 sections of the boot.

seems to improve it alot.

the only thing that vibrates now is the taillights and rear bar, but cbf'd chasing down all the rattles.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

just about to use a boot kit of stinger roadkill on my car so ill let ya's know how that pans out, with the 2 12's facin the rear of the boot its like someone is trapped in my boot kickin the out of the rear of the boot.haha.also deadening the front door too, hopefully it fixes soem vibrations.lol
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
JoesAu

we'll never get rid of them all, its the inside vibrations that destroy sound quality, anyone with a half decent sound system knows what im talking about one tiny vibration spoils a system you'v spent a few grand on.
Old 26-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
we'll never get rid of them all, its the inside vibrations that destroy sound quality, anyone with a half decent sound system knows what im talking about one tiny vibration spoils a system you'v spent a few grand on.
I agree

I spent $3500 on my system

Yet to put dynamat in

So i only put it up to about 30% volume (which is loud enough) cuz after that the vibrations start

Currently:
Old 26-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
I agree

I spent $3500 on my system

Yet to put dynamat in

So i only put it up to about 30% volume (which is loud enough) cuz after that the vibrations start
yep, i cant turn it up very much at all even with the amps turned way down so ill have to get the stinger roadkill in and give it a crack. i hope it makes a difference...
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 26-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
yep, i cant turn it up very much at all even with the amps turned way down so ill have to get the stinger roadkill in and give it a crack. i hope it makes a difference...
Yeah! LoL

The gain on my amp must be damn near the minimum!

My mates say it makes an unbelievable difference. It's very time consuming tho. Pretty much a full day job (or more) to get it right.

They say you can hear frequencies which you couldnt hear before and it just sounds so much crisper

Thats one thing i gotta do when i get back.. My boot and my doors.

Goodluck with it and let me know how it goes!

Currently:
Old 26-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

hat sort of $$ are you guys paying for the materials?
Old 26-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
ayeyew
Teh Baest

I got mine from ryda in petersham

http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Audio-Sou...dner-s/168.htm

got it while it was on special some time ago, got a bulk pack of dynamat for under $200, still it's $230 now. Which is a pretty good price.

If u cant make it out there, i think they do delivery too for about $20.

Places like lifestyle store would be asking about another $100 on top of that

Currently:
Old 26-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
JoesAu

the stuff i used is from jaycar, its proper sound deadner, Dynamaat is like Tar yeah its great easy application, but i just think the gear i got is a step ahead as it is dense foam layered with tar, plus i can have my system bout 3/4 up and still no vibrations outside at the best of times.
Old 26-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Dealt with both Ryda and jaycar before... i'll research them... thanks guys
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately chuck in the sound deadening. I have done it to my cabin. Well worth to cover up the panels!

Cheers
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
brad`
The Monty

we talking just the boot or beind door trims as well ?

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

i just did the boot lid and the drivers door the other day, about 6 or so hours later after i was happy with it and gawd, so many little cuts from the stuff, not to mention it felt like i have been working out.lol.came out good, giving the lid and the doors a few knocks and they sounded pretty dead to me.seems to do alright. will be doing the other front door and also the inside of the boot and parcel shelf too this w/e or through the week if i get time.

oh the bulk pack of stinger roadkill was $200. plenty there but i need more now.lol
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i used Dynamat on my boot lid and floor. no more rattles. easy to install. and even makes the lid sound more solid when i shut it.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went to bunnings and grabbed stuff called Flashtac its used for "flashing" .. joins the gap between a tin carport and the house etc from the pictures on the packet
its a tar with a tin backing.. at $35 a roll that will do 2 doors and a boot lid sufficiently (probably half as heavy as dynamat but eh with 2x 15s in the boot mine is quiet )
Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #22
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
i went to bunnings and grabbed stuff called Flashtac its used for "flashing" .. joins the gap between a tin carport and the house etc from the pictures on the packet
its a tar with a tin backing.. at $35 a roll that will do 2 doors and a boot lid sufficiently (probably half as heavy as dynamat but eh with 2x 15s in the boot mine is quiet )
will be picking up some of that flashtac after i found it at bunnings the other day, seems to do a good job, been reading up on it on some other forums.
My Ride
My Build Thread