Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
When I bought my old XR6(2nd hand mind you) I test drove holdens, despite being a ford boy through and through. I just had to know why they where so hyped?
The dealer kept trying to get me to buy a Holden VY SV6, vs my XR6, I kept telling him that the xr was a far superior car but he was adamant the sv6 was better.
I made the right choice but was glad to test both brands before handing over 25k. I'd do the same if I had 80k to buy a GT/GTS or 500k to buy a house or a block, I'd test both first then make an informed decision. If I drove a GTS and decided(somehow) it was superior, it would probably get the nod. That's unlikely however!
If that was the case though, would you start a run of tatts for Holden? If that’s what you’re referring to in your sig? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I'd never bother test driving a new Holden, I didn't want one when they were faster, I really don't wont one now they are slower.
Gold! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I work hard for my money so I'll park my bum in the car that I feel gives me the best value for my money at the time. I have a bias towards Ford, but that's all it is.. a bias.
My last car was a E1 Clubby. My current is a BF Ghia while I wait a year or two to see how the blown 5L measures up.
I guess that’s why some people go back and forth across brands without any issue. Their focus is on dollar value, perhaps also on trying new things. No problem with that, but it’s just not how I work.

I also think that having the latest and greatest (whatever that really means) is often a high priority for people. I have also noticed that for many people I’ve come across over the years, they drive Ford or Holden or even Toyota and such, but they deep down have a desire/aspiration to drive German luxury cars. I reckon in some cases it’s simply the desire to be able to say that they’ve “made it”, but for others, I perceive a brand snobbery. Some people wouldn’t dare buy anything that isn’t European. Their loss !

As for my own bias, I certainly have on occasion questioned why I have a such a strong bias towards Ford. I guess for me, Ford connects me to my father who passed on a number of years ago. He taught me the value of brand loyalty and supporting the local community where possible. I certainly feel great about having two cars in my driveway, that are built within 15 kays of my home!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #32
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
If that was the case though, would you start a run of tatts for Holden? If that’s what you’re referring to in your sig? LOL!

GK
no chance in hell!! I've been a ford boy for a long time, the tattoos are also animals, not cars, they just have that representation. Imagine a commodore or something tattooed on my arm! Hideous. It just worked out that ford has named it's most iconic brand in Australia(falcon) after a bird of prey, it's limited edition XC coupe after a snake, and codenamed it's latest V8 after a breed of canine. It all sort of ties in.
I just felt obligated to tyre kick as many cars in the yard as I could. I was 18, I figured I may as well drive the monaro, V8 Holden utes, SV6, etc. The only realistic cars affordable where XR6's and SV6's and a clapped out VX SS.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Hi,

A good mate of mine just bought a holden ssv, with absolutely no regard for the gs fpv? Bought it over the weekend, brand spankin new.

Surely brand loyalty doesnt prevent people from being reasonable?

Surely even ford fanatics would at least test drive whats on offer from holden/hsv? No doubt he bought a nice car but he absolutely laughed off my talk of this supercharged 5.0 from fpv

Holden must have the best new car salespeople at the moment to make people still buy their v8.... Maybe they head hunted all the old ford salesmen who were able to move the old 5.4s?
So hang on, you mean to say that someone bought a car that suited them and it WASN'T a Ford?

I'll call ACA
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #34
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

While I personally would test drive both, I guess he found what he was after and it fitted the bill to his needs.

While I would still love an XR8, I ended up with my VY. Sure it doesn't handle as well (even compared to my AU), but it fit the bill for me, being black, manual and a v8 engine that could be easily modified, resulting in good bang for buck.

I'll end up in a ford again, just not sure when yet
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he didnt test drive or even look at a S/C FG it was NEVER an option....

Brand loyalty exists everywhere, this thread it pointless.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If he didnt test drive or even look at a S/C FG it was NEVER an option....

Brand loyalty exists everywhere, this thread it pointless.
Correct.. You cant force people to like something even if its a good thing.. We have had great cars in the past eg. F6 which have done nothing to the competition in regards to sales... Its simple people buy what they follow.. Just like when HSV had the better car we all bought Fords..

Id have an SSV ute for 40 kay but thats about where it would end..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a while ago a mate asked me what sort of car he should get to replace his trusty el as he had some money to burn, i told him what i liked but i did`nt want to put ideas in his head as this might be his last purchase for many years to come, as he`s not well off he should test drive as many cars as possible, different brands etc,
he took an bf2 xr6 six 6a for a run .......the very first car and bought it straight away, i drove it , its a ripping car and goes like a rocket, but i was gobbsmacked the very first car he drove
Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #38
hiper
[HIPER-8]

i didnt test drive the competition... didnt even test drive a 6T.
i was after a Bseries in good condition, preferably a V8.

i found one (,drove it) and bought it and still love it.
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
dylancox

Maybe the bloke just likes having a motor that 6ft tall, rather than a 5ft tall one one stilts..
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
no chance in hell!! I've been a ford boy for a long time, the tattoos are also animals, not cars, they just have that representation.
I get it. I guess the tatts being animals makes their significance a little cryptic too!

Quote:
Imagine a commodore or something tattooed on my arm! Hideous.
Indeed! Such people would need professional help! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #41
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my WP Fiesta without test driving others, then again in 2009 as a WS Fiesta, I knew I had the best small car both times. I’m Ford blind, and to be honest couldn’t be bothered testing any other type of car. If I won lotto tonight (here’s hoping) I’d buy Ford. I guess I like Ford too much to bother with the competition. VW has tempted me however...

Last edited by dannyhilton; 02-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #42
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

personally im the same... wouldn't buy a Holden and couldn't be stuffed driving something I will never have in my driveway .
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #43
buggo
[BU66OS]

I didn't test drive any other cars when I bought mine. I felt that it satisfied me enough to justify the cost, and that's really all that mattered. I'm sure if I spent all my weekends looking at 20 cars a day I would have found a better one, but it doesn't bother me, what I don't know can't hurt me sort of thing.
And I certaintly didn't consider a Holden

BA XR8 Manual
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People have a mentality when purchasing a car.
Some will consider all options while others will say, 'I want this' and they'll just go for it.

Talking in the office today with a co-worker, she said that she hates Fords because her father hates Fords. She could not give my any other reason than that.

People are brought up in a household and are often conditioned to think a certain way whether it be a sporting team, car brand or political party.

What actually can change minds in relation to motor vehicles is when people get out of their train-track mentality and test drive the car they'd 'never touch'.

A bloke I play tennis with has had an AU and BA. Before then, he had grown up with Holdens and had been told that 'Fords are crap' but after getting into one, he was genuinely surprised and in his opinion, the Ford product at th etime was above any Holden at the time.

He still regards Holden as a nice car for the price, but has stuck with Fords until a couple of years ago when he went for a VW Passat. He would never have considered it until he drove it, and loved it.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #45
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I find this a very interesting Post.
Im a big ford fan but only recently owned a VY SS Commodore. I dont entirly hate Holdens. But I truly hate the HSV range.
When I traded in my 2 cars too buy a V8, I was hell bent on a XR8 but back then is when the BA was in my price range. After testing driving a BA 8 Auto, I was honestly sickened by its performance. The saleman trys to get me into a VZ SS and after explaining to him Id feel more comfortable licking lemons then getting into a Commodore, once I drove it I was in love.... Unfortuantly it was still a little outside my price range so had to settle for the VY SS. I must say that was a good car! Decent interior, truly sensational performance (13.6 1/4 mile stock standard) and just solid car.
So my answer would be No, you will never catch me in a HSV for all the money in the world, but if I had to pick between say a BF XR8 or a VZ SS..... I think I would go VZ honestly....

(Still rather the EL over them all though..... )
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #46
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old man is a mechanic and has told me that if i buy a holden of any sort ( more so the v6 ) he will never work on it

saying that i dont like the holden anyway so he didn't have to worry with me

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #47
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
He chose the SS, like he/anyone is going to buy a car that doesnt make him happy and if the SS makes him happy then so be it. Dont see the issue.
Agreed. How maybe people with brand loyalty test drive holdens before buying a ford. I know I have never test drive any holdens. I've always gone straight for the ford. Even when I wanted a small car. I just drove the Focus and never considered the Astra.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #48
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Test drove 2 XR6T's before buying the Typhoon, I didn't test drive the Typhoon before I bought it as I knew straight up it was what I wanted and the price was damn good. No other cars had even entered my mind at that time. Now if the wife was serious about another V8 (She was devastated when I traded the XR8 for my Foon) in replacing her XR6 I would buy a HSV in a heartbeat. No brand loyalty with me even though my last 3 cars have been performance Fords.

My first Ford was my XR8 and that came about through my old man telling me not to bother coming home if I bought the SS I was looking at
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok few things here firstly my sister in law has "holden dealer team logo with the hellmet/lion plastered accross her lower back can't say it is something I even think was remotely intelligent, and as for test driving cars I for one have alot of difficulty convincing a car yard to let me test drive anything, I tried to test drive a commodore once but the sales guy was more interested in my finances than in selling me the car, was so confident that once my finance was "approved" then we would go for a test drive so confident was he that once I drove it I would buy it, his treatment of me and assumption that I couldn't afford the car soured me on the dealership and holden in general who remember I will need to have an ongoing relationship with for servicing and warranty work if required, no matter how good the car is if its serviced by people that I have no trust in then the ownership experience will be crap. There is more things to consider besides which car is fastest.

Case and point I recently purchased a jet ski in my local area I got two choices seadoo at one dealer and kawasaki at another I felt more comfortable with the kawasaki dealers than the seadoo dealers and as above ongoing relationship and all I bought kawasaki.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #50
kezzer

Haha, funny thread... HULK_BA having a swig at "brand loyalty"
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=132032 he shows it in all shapes in sizes on that thread.

Sorry if posting off a holden website isn't allowed here lol
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Agreed. How maybe people with brand loyalty test drive holdens before buying a ford. I know I have never test drive any holdens. I've always gone straight for the ford. Even when I wanted a small car. I just drove the Focus and never considered the Astra.
Same here, that and the Astra isnt even in the same league.

I swear this thread is just here to set up a fist fight.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 02-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #52
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Hi,

A good mate of mine just bought a holden ssv, with absolutely no regard for the gs fpv? Bought it over the weekend, brand spankin new.

Surely brand loyalty doesnt prevent people from being reasonable?

Surely even ford fanatics would at least test drive whats on offer from holden/hsv? No doubt he bought a nice car but he absolutely laughed off my talk of this supercharged 5.0 from fpv

Holden must have the best new car salespeople at the moment to make people still buy their v8.... Maybe they head hunted all the old ford salesmen who were able to move the old 5.4s?
i dont see anything wrong with this , i buy fords without looking at holdens , i find it hard to get ford to take my money sometimes , i figure getting knocked back trying to purchase a ford that i want , is hard and time wasting , why get F### around at holden as well . and yes i have been to holden and been ****ked around with no test drive just as much as ford . pleeeeaaase !!! the last car i bought online , simply made an offer on the net , then went and test drove and picked it up , that was after walking into dealers and trying to make enquiries and even order a car , only got the our holdens are better than fords off holden dealers , with no offer of test drives or call backs with prices even after asking for a price .
I CAN TOTALLY SEE WHY HE BOUGHT HIS SSV he probably walked in, seen his car and got offered a test drive and a price .
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #53
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Same here, that and the Astra isnt even in the same league.

I swear this thread is just here to set up a fist fight.....
Nothing unusual considering the OP
Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Closed Thread