Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
bdesigns
Joy Ride

Default Battery still draining - bluetooth?

Hey everyone!

Just hoping if someone can give me some insight to this issue before i spend anymore money.

My car is a Ford Fiesta 2009 WS.

Around 2+ years ago, I hit a speed bump at high speeds. After that, my electrical went all weird. Bluetooth stopped working, and my radio sometimes wont turn on. My headlight will pop after 2 weeks of a new globe alternating between the left and right one.

About 6 months after that, my battery started to become weaker, and got worse over time. It got to the point where my car will run flat after 3 days of not driving. (This was not so much of an issue then because i had to use my car everyday).

A year ago, i finally got around taking it to the electrical mechanics. He did a full check, and i ended up spending about 900 on a new alternator and battery. After that, my headlights are fine and my radio works. (bluetooth was still dead).

A month after that, my car started to die again, and like before, it started getting worse and worse. Now, if i leave my car inactive for more than 2 days, it dies. (which is bad since i work at home now).

Last week, i took my car to the mechanics to get my car serviced, and i just mentioned the electrical problem i had. He was kind enough to test the voltages and he said it looks fine.

So i am pretty confused on whats going on here. The only real i can see thats still not working since the beginning is the bluetooth. Could that be draining my power? I occasionally get this ABS malfunction msg but i was told it is because my battery is low on power.

Does anyone have any insight to this issue? Are there any recommendations on electrical mechanics?

Thanks!

-Bryan

bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Pursya

Default Re: Battery still draining - bluetooth?

I wonder if Ford can download the ECU and see if there is any electrical spikes.
Certainly sounds like the bump has dislodged something that is causing variable voltage.
Failing that you may need to get an auto electrician to hook up something to record the voltages as you drive around for a couple of weeks. No idea if such a device exists.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Swoopdown

If the eletrical mechanic checked/sold you new battery and alternator, after a month it died then take it back to them and have them redo the checks or refund you the money.

Get them to list exactly what they have done, as well as for anything done to your car.

when you the mean the car dies.. do you mean wont start because the battery is flat?

Had a quick search on some UK forums:
Does an engine fan or footwell fan come on after youve turned the car off/shut the door (temp sensor)?

Checked any of the plugs into the fuse box?

Do you have any sound systems installed? Is the bluetooth factory installed?

Hope it goes well
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
bdesigns
Joy Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya
I wonder if Ford can download the ECU and see if there is any electrical spikes.
Certainly sounds like the bump has dislodged something that is causing variable voltage.
Failing that you may need to get an auto electrician to hook up something to record the voltages as you drive around for a couple of weeks. No idea if such a device exists.
Thanks Pursya! I might see if i can call them to check. I thinking taking it to Ford would be last resort since im pretty sure they will charge a heap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopdown View Post
If the eletrical mechanic checked/sold you new battery and alternator, after a month it died then take it back to them and have them redo the checks or refund you the money.

Get them to list exactly what they have done, as well as for anything done to your car.

when you the mean the car dies.. do you mean wont start because the battery is flat?

Had a quick search on some UK forums:
Does an engine fan or footwell fan come on after youve turned the car off/shut the door (temp sensor)?

Checked any of the plugs into the fuse box?

Do you have any sound systems installed? Is the bluetooth factory installed?

Hope it goes well
Thanks Swoopdown!

Yea, its my bad that i didnt fix the problem right away. To my memory, i had a solid year of intense work which didnt allow me to live without the car. I do recall that the battery and alternator i bought was of good quality and they have good warranty on them, so hopefully it still applies.

When the car dies, i mean the battery becomes flat.
Everything is stock in my car including the bluetooth. My car is currently flat at the moment, but i am pretty sure that a fan turns on after my car is turned off. Ive always thought it was just 'cooling' down.
Could this be the problem?

I havent checked the plugs, but i would be sure the electrician a year ago would of checked that first?

Thanks!

-Bryan
bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Swoopdown

Totally understandable. But I think for now you grab a new battery and see if it lasts another year. If it gets flat within a week or two iam pretty sure you can exchange it for a new one or money back at Kmart. Then you know its not the battery.

Had a quick google with your title thread:
I saw the engine fan, Its not a problem if it cools down the engine, the issue seemed to be that it stayed on for a long time and sometimes turned back on/off later.
Another one said that if you have a multimeter handy you can check the amps via trial and error removing different fuses (this may identify the circuit that maybe casuing the issue) Also check all lights dont stay on when car turned off.
Another replaced the factory headunit with aftermarket one.

Bad Battery terminals are pretty easy to spot and cheap to change but doesnt seem like your issue.

If you find the problem, just call up Ford(s) and ask for a quote on a service, parts etc. Depending where you live there might be a wrecker as well you could go to salvage some parts and a local mechanic could help you out.

Last edited by Swoopdown; 15-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
dosho
Starter Motor

Hey guys, my son borrowed my fiesta wb and when we got it back it sat for a while. Went to use it one day and the battery was totally flat. Turns out he had a fm transmitter in the acc plug which I might add is live ignition on or off. Hope this may help.
dosho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: