Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
rusty_
"GTXTOY"

Default Speeding fine but wrong rego

Hey not sure if im posting this in the right place, but a couple of days ago i got a speeding fine but noticed the registration was incorrect. I spoke to the Civic compliance people and she told me to write a letter in. Im not too great with words and dont want to pay a fine that doesnt have the correct information on it.

Has anyone had this problem before?
or know what to say?
and what my outcome should be?

Old 27-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have known a few blokes who got out of speeding fines by sending a lettter questioning the validity of the fine stating that the speeding ticket is not for a car they own
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
rusty_
"GTXTOY"

ah yea thanks for that, by the sounds of what you and some of my friends say, i can get out of this. just need good wording in the letter. hopefully someone pops up and says what they have written
Old 27-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just keep the letter simple by saying the rego as stated is not your vehicle therefore you are returning the paperwork to the sender. I wouldnt offer anymore information.
Years ago, I was in court for speeding and when the police prosecutor read out the details, he had my rego plate details wrong. I made mention of it to the Magistrate and he dismissed the whole fine.
I remember the cop secretly saying to me afterwards "I'll get you one day, so look out". :
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and keep a copy of the letter and when you sent it
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

if you know that it was you that was speeding and it is merely an administration error - just man up and pay the damn fine already.

all these threads where people can't handle the consequences of their actions are getting rather tiresome.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
rusty_
"GTXTOY"

thanks brnoxr, im glad you got out of it. i wish we had a voice recorder everytime we spoke to police, i wonder how long they would have a job for.

yea well if they can write out wrong information then wheres the justice of that. police these days think there gods, and everyone is a criminal. so if it was or wasnt me, and i can get out of a fine, i will.
Old 27-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if you know that it was you that was speeding and it is merely an administration error - just man up and pay the damn fine already.

all these threads where people can't handle the consequences of their actions are getting rather tiresome.
Why should he man up if he doesn't have too? People like you prydey should seriously just keep their mouths shut.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_
Hey not sure if im posting this in the right place, but a couple of days ago i got a speeding fine but noticed the registration was incorrect. I spoke to the Civic compliance people and she told me to write a letter in. Im not too great with words and dont want to pay a fine that doesnt have the correct information on it.

Has anyone had this problem before?
or know what to say?
and what my outcome should be?
Was it an on the spot fine or did you get it in the mail.?
How much of the rego was incorrect?
Old 27-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
Why should he man up if he doesn't have too? People like you prydey should seriously just keep their mouths shut.
hey i've got broad shoulders, fire away!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Chopped
as in chopped

I'm pretty sure they changed the law a while ago which now allows them to correct the mistake and re-issue the ticket.

I got off a ticket in the early nineties due to two different dates showing on the ticket. I then got a ticket in the early noughties which had incorrect spelling of the street name. I tried the old letter trick and got one back about a month later stating they had the right to correct the mistake and re-issue it.

At best you could delay the inevitable by a few months.
Old 27-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
at least people like prydey try to look at things from two sides and not just the one that helps them
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you prydey, do the crime, pay the fine.
If it was you then they will just re issue the fine with the correct rego, if it wasn't you then take it to court.
I got a parking ticket in Tassie on holidays recently, I paid it, now I've just got a speeding ticket from a camera also in Tassie I didn't know about in a hire car, I'll pay that too.
Maybe I just have different morals to some other people.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I'm pretty sure they changed the law a while ago which now allows them to correct the mistake and re-issue the ticket.

I got off a ticket in the early nineties due to two different dates showing on the ticket. I then got a ticket in the early noughties which had incorrect spelling of the street name. I tried the old letter trick and got one back about a month later stating they had the right to correct the mistake and re-issue it.

At best you could delay the inevitable by a few months.
Yes they have changed the law

I got a fine 12 or so months ago and theofficer put it down as being $2005.00 not $205.00 i thought woo hoo i may get out of this one even though i knew i was speeding 68 detected speed fined for doing 65 in a 60 zone

the officer turned up at my door 2 days later to re issue the fine

I say just pay it now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dont know about VIC but in NSW they obviously record everything - including what you say while you're in your car as the HWP wear microphones on their shirts that record conversations. So if its been issued by a HWP unit I would say you are going to pay it one way or another.
Old 27-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Pro Tip: Do something like this:

Old 27-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please God save us from all the do gooders.

I am just wondering if all you pious holier than thou wowsers actually practice what you preach.

If your car breaks traction in the wet or on gravel do you immediately pull over and order a tray truck to take it to the impound yard?
If you notice you have exceeded the speed limit do you write a letter with a cheque enclosed to the transport department?
If you get mud on your windscreen do you defect yourself?

If you are not seen by anyone else is in not illegal?

Or are you just hypocrites and the law only applies to others......

The law is the law and there is due process. The same laws that denote the speed limit and penalties also denote the infraction process and if the process is not followed then that is no different exceeding the limit, it is not lawful.

As a community car enthusiasts do not need to fear the rabid car hating Scrubys of the world for there is far more danger from within...........

As far as morals, the guys who crashed the aircraft into the twins towers, the guards at the various gas chambers and work camps throughout history, the members of the Spanish inquisition, the crusaders of the middle ages etc. all had extremely strong moral values.

They thought they were doing the right thing for a better world.

Others may disagree.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Pro Tip: Do something like this:
I remember that one. An oldie but a goodie
Old 27-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Please God save us from all the do gooders.

I am just wondering if all you pious holier than thou wowsers actually practice what you preach.

If your car breaks traction in the wet or on gravel do you immediately pull over and order a tray truck to take it to the impound yard?
If you notice you have exceeded the speed limit do you write a letter with a cheque enclosed to the transport department?
If you get mud on your windscreen do you defect yourself?

If you are not seen by anyone else is in not illegal?

Or are you just hypocrites and the law only applies to others......

The law is the law and there is due process. The same laws that denote the speed limit and penalties also denote the infraction process and if the process is not followed then that is no different exceeding the limit, it is not lawful.

As a community car enthusiasts do not need to fear the rabid car hating Scrubys of the world for there is far more danger from within...........

As far as morals, the guys who crashed the aircraft into the twins towers, the guards at the various gas chambers and work camps throughout history, the members of the Spanish inquisition, the crusaders of the middle ages etc. all had extremely strong moral values.

They thought they were doing the right thing for a better world.

Others may disagree.....
Here here!

If someone was on trial for murder or something I am sure the paperwork would be right. I am sure if the ticket mistake you received had another 0 on the fine amount we would all jump up and down about it and rightly so.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
TadKa
Wait? What?

I had a wrong date on a ticket once. It was definitely me and I was definitely speeding but no way was I paying that fine. It wasn't a big deal they went back to the details set up on the camera that day and all tickets were cancelled.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #21
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I think Rusty is in the right.Ok he admitted he did something wrong, but the details were incorrect. When you go to the supermarket, & it scans differently, do you just pay it? or do you inform them of the problem. Usually they're policy is to give you the purchse price in refund, & give you the item for free. Why? Cause they stuffed up.

Prydey, your point is fair enough, but its the principle of the thing. Details were wrong, & in the governments, opinion they may agree with Rusty. Certainly be different if it was all correct. Then its just pay the damn fine! Flappist, right on the mark.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_
thanks brnoxr, im glad you got out of it. i wish we had a voice recorder everytime we spoke to police, i wonder how long they would have a job for.

yea well if they can write out wrong information then wheres the justice of that. police these days think there gods, and everyone is a criminal. so if it was or wasnt me, and i can get out of a fine, i will.
I for one couldn't care less if you can get away with this or not, but in my opinion, and my opinion only, you are just another example of everything that is wrong with brat kids today, (before I am accused of lumping all kids into the same basket, read what I said) To break the law and get away with it is one thing, to justify it with this tripe is completely another.
ps Fair call prydey, I'm with you
Old 27-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

My opinion is, write a letter and see if it can be waivered. As far as I'm concerned, if they stuffed up, there bad luck. We pay enough taxes keeping our cars running, without coughing up anymore revenue for them.

And yes, people can call me Scrooge McDuck or a worm trying to weezle out of things like this. Doesn't bother me. At the end of the day, I pay rego on 6 vehicles a year, along with all the other associated rip offs (AKA taxes) involved with running a car, so if I can weezle out of a couple of hundred dollar fine, I would.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

You will almost definitely get off if you follow this advice, which holds true in Victoria at least as late as last year - but first an important note: Is it worth it? If you've got a full licence with plenty of points on it then just pay the fine and go on your way. If you stand to lose it or th fine is too high for you THAT'S WHEN you should worry about trying to defeat the fine.

Alright, with no further ado:

The law, at least for Victoria, says something along the lines that any mistake made by the officer that throws question to the validity of the charge/fine etc automatically makes it invalid (except you need to point it out / challenge it).

DO NOT write a letter to the police about their mistake. You are under NO OBLIGATION to do so. All you will be doing is giving them a chance to correct their mistake, re-issue their ticket (or in the case of it being a charge not a fine, that big stack of paperwork (charges, brie of evidence, etc) some of us are familiar with for other driving offences). Instead, challenge the fine (take it to court). All you need to do is wait until you're in the courtroom, produce the paperwork with the mistake on it and challenge them on it. Your case will be thrown out and they will not be able to charge you / fine you, nor will they be able to correct their mistakes and try again.

Note that is from the best of my understanding from the defence on one of my driving offences in Victoria last year. Make double sure that I am correct before attempting it, but definitely hold out on the letter to the police.

Also, you can garner some vital knowledge to winning againt the police from TrafficLaw.com(.au?), and finally consult with your lawyer or representation ahead of time. Using the internet as your sole source of law consultation isn't wise I could be wrong about one or two small details, (though I am pretty sure of myself), which may make or break your case. So make sure!

Edit: 20 over in Vic is a stiff fine, but won't even get your car confiscated and unless your licence is hanging by a thread I'd seriously consider paying it.

Remember that to save the money you'd lose from the fine you initially need to outlay more, so if you're broke you may not be able to afford challenge it (though it's surprisingly within most people's reach).

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 27-02-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
rusty_
"GTXTOY"

nice to see everyones opinions. just to let you know, i wasnt hooning or anything. just happened to be driving down a highway with noone else in sight doing 100 with the sunset in my face when unknowingly it was a 80 zone. im not fussed with paying the fine, but i dont want to pay a fine that has the wrong rego, that also doesnt exist. (vicroads rego check)
im going to write the letter, and let you all know how i go.
Old 27-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
Kamshaaft

Read My Post First Mate!
Old 27-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

rusty

I'm with prydey as well. You were speeding and you got caught. Just pay the fine and stop wasting your time (writing the letter) and whoever has to deal with it (no matter what the outcome) trying to weasel out of it over a minor clerical mistake.

If you still want to write a letter use the "...driving down a highway with noone else in sight doing 100 with the sunset in my face when unknowingly it was a 80 ..." defense instead. And whatever you do do go paying lawers and clogging up our cousts with this minor crap.
Old 27-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #28
Kamshaaft

Besides, there's the moral & maturity issue. If you did do it, you should be able to face up to the consequences. It's not so bad though if it was unknowing, as you claim - you didn't mean to do the wrong thing, though you should claim responsibility.

But talk is cheap (aimed at us riding the easy path on the back of the bandwagon) when you're on the other side of the firing line. Most of us would seek to beat a traffic fine if we knew we could, no matter how much we did or didn't intend to commit the offence/s.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 27-02-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 27-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
rusty_
"GTXTOY"

thanks for letting me know mate, im going to speak to my lawyer who is a family friend in the next couple days then and hopefully get this all sorted out. like i said, i dont mind paying, but who orders a pizza and wants to pay if its got the wrong topping?
ive rread one good thing from that site,
"the infringement notice cannot be wrong because it then fails to comply with the law, it is invalid."
Old 27-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I have mixed feelings about this I guess. My head says that you should pay the fine as you were caught speeding, yet I think i'd be more likely to challenge it if I was actually in the position you're currently in though.

Some good advice in this thread, good luck.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post