Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Identity theft

Keep this thread updated BENT. I'll be keen to know how this all unfolds.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
It sounds as though you got one of the best coppers who has gone over and above his duty. The law dictates you are innocent till proven guilty but situations like seem to be just the opposite. It can be enormously frustrating having to defend your innocence. Hang tough and keep your chin up.
He was fantastic, took us straight into an interview room and started making calls.
At no point did i feel as though he didnt believe what we were telling him, the first person in this whole situationl to be non judgemental, except for you guys obviously.
He even wrote his first name on the report card and said i only give it to descent people, i walked away feeling comforted that he was in my corner.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
I haven't read the thread again until now, others have offered prbably better solutions, and it looks like the police option is helping.
In regard to the quote, my thoughts were on having a legal opinion on your side ao that you know you're going about it in the best way to protect you. A solicitor may have offered advice as given by our other posters on the thread, I don't know; but at least now things are happening.
This whole ID theft bizo is bloody scarey when you think about it!

Good luck mate.

Ed
Cheers mate, sorry if my post sounded short, i didnt mean to come across that way i was just in complete bewilderment that i may have to go to that extent to defend myself over some other campaigners handy work.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Just read your situation and it feel for you.

My understanding is that with any new Telstra Mobile contract, you are required to provide a copy of your drivers licence, which the Telstra store will photo copy and attach to your contract.

I would try to get a copy of the contract & specifically the page that has you license on it.

This may help sort things a bit quicker.
Unfortunately the Police said people can make fake licences quite easily and is probably how it was done, how/why they chose my details is beyond me, i've never lost my wallet or anything and never put that stuff on the net.

What made him most surprised was that Telstra dont even check that the address given is legit as the address on the contract isnt even valid, infact the street in question doesnt even exist in the whole of SA.

Its a scary thought that someone can take on your identity with bogus i.d. make up a bogus address and rack up debt in your name without anyone actually checking up on the details given.
All they had to do was Google the address and alarm bells would have gone off.
To then lump an innocent party with it is disgusting and should be amended through law.
With the current climate of hightened security and some unsavoury characters getting about, its surprising that they could be communicating via mobile phone with someone elses identity and effectively under the radar.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Keep this thread updated BENT. I'll be keen to know how this all unfolds.
Will do Shav.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #36
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Unfortunately the Police said people can make fake licences quite easily and is probably how it was done, how/why they chose my details is beyond me, i've never lost my wallet or anything and never put that stuff on the net.

What made him most surprised was that Telstra dont even check that the address given is legit as the address on the contract isnt even valid, infact the street in question doesnt even exist in the whole of SA.

Its a scary thought that someone can take on your identity with bogus i.d. make up a bogus address and rack up debt in your name without anyone actually checking up on the details given.
To then lump an innocent party with it is disgusting and should be amended through law.
With the current climate of hightened security and some unsavoury characters getting about, its surprising that they could be communicating via mobile phone with someone elses identity and effectively under the radar.
I'm hearing you....

Telstra also have an internal Fraud Team, so it might be worth going down that path because if they have grabbed your identity, they will have grabbed others and I'm sure Telstra would like to shut that down.

Having been in a sales environment most of my career, I can tell you the pressure of a sale after sale is real and I will bet that most salespeople won't google an address to check if it's legit (particularly if they have enough info to proceed). It's not really their fault, but unfortunately it still happens.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
The Ratbag side of me would have said. Knock yourself out, I'll wait for you to serve the summons on me

But as others have said, good result so far and keep us informed.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #38
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

To then lump an innocent party with it is disgusting and should be amended through law..
Unless im missing something to be fair it isn't Telstra that has dumped the debt on you, it is the debt collector who has tracked you down and is saying the debt is yours.
Telstra has a customer with your name, an address, some other id and sold the debt. This shark has then gone searching for someone they can pin the debt on you are the bunny. That is why you don't give them any identifying details as you'd find them added to the file as further proof the debt is yours.

Good luck getting it resolved.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

An address means nothing, My address I use for everything does not exist. Its on my drivers licence, rego, bills, I use the address that does not exist for everything.

In saying that, I still get my mail and everything delivered to this address. Vic roads has sent me something saying to update my address because it does not exist.

The street name and number are correct but my suburb and postcode are not. If you put my address into a GPS, you would not be able to find it.

So as you can see its pretty easy to make an address up and use it. Also I never understood why companies use utility bills as proof of address. I work for a utilities company and it would be very easy to change someone address, redirect the invoice to another address and then change the persons address back.

But in your case, hopefully everything gets sorted. Its good you went to the TIO, they will help you out hopefully.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not give you details to the debt chick? I'd give details, then I'd also do face to face meeting, request every detail of the so call account i apparently created and copies of id used to create the account be presented to me in the meeting.

Record the conversation, put it all in writing.

I did a similar thing when an insurance company accused me of running into some car, in an area I've never been.

2 phone calls, 2 well worded letters using a bit of legalese wording (I work with contracts daily) I got a call to say they are not pursuing the matter.

No stress.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why not give you details to the debt chick? I'd give details, then I'd also do face to face meeting, request every detail of the so call account i apparently created and copies of id used to create the account be presented to me in the meeting.

Record the conversation, put it all in writing.

I did a similar thing when an insurance company accused me of running into some car, in an area I've never been.

2 phone calls, 2 well worded letters using a bit of legalese wording (I work with contracts daily) I got a call to say they are not pursuing the matter.

No stress.
You've got to be joking, even the Police said not to give them any more details than they already have, as has been said, they just add the details you give them to the debt and bury you further in it.
She asked for my full name, i gave it, she said perfect, she asked for my address, i gave it, she said perfect, she asked for my DOB, i reluctantly gave it, she said perfect, all the while tapping away at her keyboard, i could hear it clear as day.
She asked for my License number and i refused, she turned from an angel in to the devil and began to threaten me and got so worked up she couldnt even get her message across, in the end she said for God sake just give it to me. What do you think she was typing as i answered...
I shouldnt have given my DOB but thought i was doing the right thing by trying to clear my name and help them on the track to the right person.
Bit hard to do a face to face with an off shore call centre ande a QLD debt collection agency when you live in SA.

I have sought an itemised copy of the supposed account which was to be forwarded by Telstra to my Email account, the Police asked for the same, we are both still waiting.

Telstra dont want to help me out, they got paid by the debt collector and now they want the debt collector to get paid, if the debt gets reversed to Telstra they lose.
The whole system is designed to screw over innocent people and to gather the evidence required to clear yourself means digging the hole deeper.

Yeah, ill stick with the Police advice but thanks anyway..
5 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Currently on the blower to Telstra, just been given the bogus email address they used for the account to keep for my records.

Was supposed to be rang back by the case manager in 24-48hrs from tuesday afternoon, still waiting, they've resubmiitted the request.

Account was opened over the phone.

Spoke to a fella who had the same thing happen to him and thought it was great that i was doing my own detective work, he sounded excited to be helping me.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #43
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take chill pill.....sorry to upset you.

Looks like you got it under control...
Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #44
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll throw a bone anyway, I feel like helping out.

Given you had a cop, ring for you, they probably already peg you as scared, so they will likely keep hassling you.

The trick is to get on the front foot and be assertive but cooperative, the first phone call, she is short and nasty because she expects resistance, and she got it, then cop rings, she knows you are on the back foot and weak.

If she rang me, I'd simply cooperate, of course I want to clear the debt, immediately she would thaw, guard would go down, BUT I just need details, I also need proof of your authority, I'm on your side. BUT I don't want to clear a debt with you only to have Telstra come after me. It all need's to be in writing for my tax records, account details, recording of account being opened, bills, debt collector's authority, before I pay, need to claim it all on tax you see.

Then when you have it all it will be easy to refute.

If at that point, it's still as struggle you have all the evidence, you can enlist help from an expert.

But hey what do I know, she is obviously scared of the cop, who might go interstate and arrest her.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I'll throw a bone anyway, I feel like helping out.

Given you had a cop, ring for you, they probably already peg you as scared, so they will likely keep hassling you.

The trick is to get on the front foot and be assertive but cooperative, the first phone call, she is short and nasty because she expects resistance, and she got it, then cop rings, she knows you are on the back foot and weak.

If she rang me, I'd simply cooperate, of course I want to clear the debt, immediately she would thaw, guard would go down, BUT I just need details, I also need proof of your authority, I'm on your side. BUT I don't want to clear a debt with you only to have Telstra come after me. It all need's to be in writing for my tax records, account details, recording of account being opened, bills, debt collector's authority, before I pay, need to claim it all on tax you see.

Then when you have it all it will be easy to refute.

If at that point, it's still as struggle you have all the evidence, you can enlist help from an expert.

But hey what do I know, she is obviously scared of the cop, who might go interstate and arrest her.
Havent heard a word since, she must know im in hiding.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Take chill pill.....sorry to upset you.
Lol, after the 6 weeks i've had you wouldnt get consideration.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #47
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Post some info on public forums that Telstra staff read.

Does Telstra have a public forum? ie Vodafone has http://community.vodafone.com.au I posted something on there a few weeks ago about an excessive old charge and got a phone call from Vodafone the next day cancelling the excessive charge.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #48
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Back in 2008 the same thing happened to my Grandmother, plus a little more.
Someone started a dial up internet account with Telstra in her name - using the wrong first name, and the wrong date of birth. She was in a nursing home at the time, with mild dementia, so she knew nothing about it.

They then used the account to set her up for online banking and swipe $70,000 from her savings. They were also caught on security cameras in the local bank making withdrawals, with a completely wrong signature.

I couldn't believe no one ever questioned these things? Wrong name, wrong date of birth? Really?
Then again, I often give my name over the phone and in person, and people still get it wrong.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

@ Feathers
70k that is insane, makes my problem look insignificant really.
Were you able to get the money back, im assuming the bank would be at fault for not being more diligent.

It really should be a warning to everyone about how easy it is to become wrapped up in something like this, there are some mongral people who breath the same air we do.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #50
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing which I did not mention.

If you have personal details on Facebook or any other social media (not sure how others work) such as your full name, date of birth, it is not hard for others to use this information. Even if you have everything private and only your friends can see date of birth, email address etc, change it so no one can see this info.

One of your friends may forget to logout in a public place. Someone comes along and gets your details, or even a so called friend passes the info on. Most people love using social media, but basically it open your life up to some pretty bad people.

Lots of people do not turn off there location on Facebook, so when they check in the address is shown on Facebook. Not hard to get someone home address using Facebook.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #51
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

I was speaking to a Telstra call centre person a few minutes ago and mentioned this case to her.

Two things that she mentioned:
- Once the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (ie TIO) gets involved, phone companies change their attitude and start paying attention.
- If someone has set up an account over the phone then there will be voice recordings. I doubt that they'lll let you listen to them, but be aware that recordings will exist.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #52
monzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The Ratbag side of me would have said. Knock yourself out, I'll wait for you to serve the summons on me

But as others have said, good result so far and keep us informed.
Had a mate who didn't do any thing about a wrong account and six months later had at sheriffs officer at the front door ready to take his house contents away with him.
He had to pay [including court costs] on the spot to stop the sheriff doing his duty.
Old mate didn't know that the account went though the court system with out him being notified. Not usual, but it does happen. Then again maybe he didn't do any thing about the summons either.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
Had a mate who didn't do any thing about a wrong account and six months later had at sheriffs officer at the front door ready to take his house contents away with him.
He had to pay [including court costs] on the spot to stop the sheriff doing his duty.
Old mate didn't know that the account went though the court system with out him being notified. Not usual, but it does happen. Then again maybe he didn't do any thing about the summons either.
The post that I quoted mentioned that the Street didn't exist, hence my evil side would have said deliver the summons to the address on the account
Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #54
nz13boy

Sheeze, sounds like a whole lot of drama yourve got going on. Sounds like your on the right track to hopefully getting it sorted.

Have you checked your credit file to see if they have "brought" anything else under your name? Like a car?.......lol.

$2k is a lot to rack up in 3months.

Im betting they probably ordered iPhones or something similar rather then make two grands worth of phone calls.
Old 13-07-2015, 04:15 AM   #55
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
@ Feathers
70k that is insane, makes my problem look insignificant really.
Were you able to get the money back, im assuming the bank would be at fault for not being more diligent.

It really should be a warning to everyone about how easy it is to become wrapped up in something like this, there are some mongral people who breath the same air we do.
Yeah, we got it all back. Telstra were less than helpful. They wanted to speak to my Grandmother (Dad had power of attorney) even though she had no idea what day of the week it was. We kept receiving the bill for the internet service for months afterwards, but eventually (I guess after the police got involved), that stopped and we didn't have to pay anything.

Then we went through her bank statements and found all these withdrawals, so the bank were called to put a stop on that, which they did, and launched their own investigation.
The bank reimbursed the money, which made them the victim, and they either claim it off their insurance (usually), or chase the money from the offender.

When we took all the documents to the police and they started looking into it, they found it was a 30-something year old Asian woman who had only a month earlier been released from custody for similar offences.
We never found out what happened after that, as once the bank took over the debt, that was the end of our involvement.

Moral is that not only do you need to be careful online, but that your mail is vulnerable as well.
We can only assume that is how this person got my Grandmother's details.
She didn't have credit cards, or ATM cards, didn't use phone banking, didn't own a computer.
She was mentally ill (prior to the dementia), and part of her problem was that she was paranoid that people were out to get her, so she would never willingly share personal details - she went by an assumed first name rather than her legal name, or have anyone in her apartment. (Hell there were times she wouldn't let ME in!)

At some point we needed her Medicare card, and only found an expired one.
So the new one should have been sent out, but we never found it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 13-07-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #56
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
I was speaking to a Telstra call centre person a few minutes ago and mentioned this case to her.

Two things that she mentioned:
- Once the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (ie TIO) gets involved, phone companies change their attitude and start paying attention.
- If someone has set up an account over the phone then there will be voice recordings. I doubt that they'lll let you listen to them, but be aware that recordings will exist.
If you request the call recording when you signed up they must supply a copy, the voice recording is part of the contract. It is exactly the same as a written contract except it is verbal and you are legally allowed to have a copy, listen to it etc.

If they denied you a copy, it would be like going to the phone shop signing up and them refusing to give you a copy of the contract you signed.

The reason why they listen to complaints through the TIO is that there is a dedicated team who deal with TIO complaints. Also if contact is not made within a certain time frame it gets escalated to the next level costing Telstra more money. Basically they look at it, will it cost more money to fight it or just throw money at this customer so we will be better off in the long run.
Old 13-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #57
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Still havent heard back from the Telstra case manager, thats 6 days since the Police and i asked to be contacted.
Still havent recieved the itemised bill to help defend myself and clear my name.

I might make a call to some media outlets, squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.
Worked for me once before, went through a crap experience with work cover where they wouldnt let me talk to anyone about my case, kept changing case managers, cutting off my income support etc.
I got on the phone on live radio with Leon Byner after he had some w/c rep banging on about w/c cheats and within 15 minutes i had the head of NRMA calling me.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #58
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leon does seem to get results - amazing how the red tape someone might be tangled up in suddenly disappears when he takes up their cause.

Just outed myself as a AA listener...I best head off to bingo now.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #59
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The threat of bad media exposure does wonders to a business as big as Telstra's. 6 days for a fraudulent case without correspondence is far too long. This needs to be dealt with now.

If the radio doesn't work, ACA or Today Tonight will no doubt look into it for you. It's a sham for any business to open an account with poor ID details and not do their background research. So exposing this issue to the public will no doubt do a lot more damage than wiping the debt and BENT's name clean.

Of course this should be a last resort after you have exhausted all other areas.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #60
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
The threat of bad media exposure does wonders to a business as big as Telstra's. 6 days for a fraudulent case without correspondence is far too long. This needs to be dealt with now.

If the radio doesn't work, ACA or Today Tonight will no doubt look into it for you. It's a sham for any business to open an account with poor ID details and not do their background research. So exposing this issue to the public will no doubt do a lot more damage than wiping the debt and BENT's name clean.

Of course this should be a last resort after you have exhausted all other areas.
Trouble is you couldn't trust ACA or Today Tonight (is the latter still on?) to not do a hatchet job on you all the while making you think they are on your side.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post