Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Why People Buy Camry's..

A girl I work with just bought a Camry Altise 2015. I asked her why?
$27,990 drive away. Guaranteed buy back of $11k after 4 years, 0% interest rate,5 services of $140ea. Roadside assist. etc. Ford need to look at how to sell cars. If Toyota and others can do it, so should Ford?? Servicing is half the Focus price, Ford dont have guaranteed buy back after 4 years. Does Ford have a marketing department?????? Okay, rant over, FF members will say I am knocking Ford again. But, Ford need to look at why their cars aren't selling...

Last edited by csv8; 12-02-2016 at 11:06 AM.
7 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: Why People Buy Camry's..

Toyota knows the car will be fine when they get it back because they would only use it to drive to their weekly devonshire tea party or pop up to the arts and craft shop to pick up some new wool for a cardigan they are making.
I have only ever seen one Camry out at Wakefield Park Raceway and I think it was a hire car.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder what the average age of a new Camry buyer would be?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

From what Ive read they're generally ex turbo owners because of the 5 sec quarters they run standard.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
From what Ive read they're generally ex turbo owners because of the 5 sec quarters they run standard.
its as though you don't know your white goods! aurions do it in 5 seconds. they have the big bad v6
Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It goes from A to B and has a reputation of not giving any grief. If you are just after transport then isnt that perfect?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people buy Camry's ? The answer is in how they drive them....totally....Brain Dead !
Old 12-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
c_foz
Ford Performance Club ACT

My manager is one of those people. People buy camry's because they just need to go places and have no interest in how they get to places.. Stay alert around boring cars on the road because the people driving them are much less likely to be alert and focused etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Trump
bitch lasagne

Edit: wrong thread
Old 12-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Makovic

Taxi Drivers/Fleets use Camry Hybrids because of their low running costs, such as regenerative braking and 6lt per 100ks. No gearbox repairs. No rear axle servicing. Fewer parts to fail. Extremely quiet and extremely boring vehicles.

Thinking is the hardest work, and that's why so few people engage in it. Henry Ford
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
How does the old saying go again?

'Camry is the car of choice for people who have given up on life'
My Father in law was boasting to me that the dude he just met standing beside him owns a Camry as well and he pointed out that my wife owns a Camry as well, well I and to correct him that it was in fact a Aurion, then the subject started with, boy do they sure go well, I just walked away.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
It goes from A to B and has a reputation of not giving any grief. If you are just after transport then isnt that perfect?
Precisely.

Do we need to also question why people buy anything they do?
is the question being asked because you don't agree with their decision, the same could be said about anyone's decision to buy anything they have. A number of factors come into it and usually tailored to that individual/family. I wouldn't buy a Camry but I wouldn't degrade anyone who does.

I do agree though that across the fleet, Ford need to better invite people to look at their cars and buy them. Incentives are not there for average buyer.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makovic View Post
Taxi Drivers/Fleets use Camry Hybrids because of their low running costs, such as regenerative braking and 6lt per 100ks. No gearbox repairs. No rear axle servicing. Fewer parts to fail. Extremely quiet and extremely boring vehicles.
Taxi owners also get cheaper leases on hybrid Camrys as part of a govt backed green initiative.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
superyob
Banned

I don't know if Ford really cares about how many Camrys are sold in Oz. They can't see over the mountain of top selling F trucks they sell in the US maybe?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

We have a family friend who I look up to and he told me he bought a new car. Went out the front expecting some thing good and it was a bloody white Camry. Said he bought it coz it was easy to park. I lost a hero that day
Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Precisely.

Do we need to also question why people buy anything they do?
is the question being asked because you don't agree with their decision, the same could be said about anyone's decision to buy anything they have. A number of factors come into it and usually tailored to that individual/family. I wouldn't buy a Camry but I wouldn't degrade anyone who does.

I do agree though that across the fleet, Ford need to better invite people to look at their cars and buy them. Incentives are not there for average buyer.
Agreed as well... Not everyone is into cars like the people on this forum... It doesn't mean they are brain dead or a menace, it just means they want something to get them from A to B reliably, safely and comfortably.. A Camry, whilst boring as bat **** and a waste of space to someone like me, would fit that bill perfect.. and With cheap servicing, decent finance and a good buy back it will tick the box's of a lot of people who couldn't give a toss about cars

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The wife has a Sportivo, bought it at 4yo with 80k on it, in the 18mths weve had it i've changed the oil and filter twice and replaced the cabin filter, thats it.

I bought a BF3 wagon 5 months ago with 90k on it, has a clunk in the rear, clunk in the front, ive replaced the window switch surround which just collapsed one day, the passenger switch is dodgy too. The drivers multi switch doesnt always operate the passenger side window.
Its also full of rattles, the plastics are all loose

Both cars were one owners with full history, both cars have done interstate trips in our posession, both soaked up the k's.

Say what you like about Camry's, but in every department apart from outright pace, they leave the Falcon for dead. If we'd bought the V6 it would cover all NA bases.

Sorry for my unbiased, educated and proven opinion.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As it has been said - cars are not everyone's life, but...

When I was younger (gee, I sound old now) - all I wanted was something a bit faster than an I6 Falcon...fast forward in time, I've enjoyed the fruits of a turbocharged falcon and more recently an 'angry' windsor in my T2. In saying this, I must admit hopping in a Prius taxi some time ago...I could not believe how quiet they were. Perfect environment for engrossing yourself with what's on the radio haha.

Maybe I'm getting old and my perspective is changing...I do recycle and try to offset my carbon footprint by driving my wife's car every now and then, but am finding it difficult to decide on 'what's the perfect car for me?'

Do I want a daily that returns great economy, with all the mod-cons of trouble-free *read, potentially boring* motoring? Do I want something more 'agricultural' that lumps away at the lights or spools up and throws me back into my seat?

From this, I don't question why people buy certain cars - after years of living close to the heart of the city, I come across all makes and models (bombs to the exotic) - it's the attitude of drivers (as it has also been said) that gets my attention more often than not.

To the OP - I think it's a valid point...Toyota have already got the reputation and brand to live off - cheaper servicing and guaranteed 'buy back' deals are the next level in strengthening their market share - leading by example and maybe something Ford can consider instead of wasting a whole TV advertisement on loan car offerings during services.

/flamesuitready
Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
This is so, because it has the Toyota badge...

Anything with a Toyota badge is perceived as ultra reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Servicing is half the Focus price,
Last I checked, Toyota still has its servicing schedules at 6 months/10,000kms, whereas Ford has it at 12 mths/15,000kms. Also, Focus is not a direct equivalent to a Camry.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #20
Makovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I don't know if Ford really cares about how many Camrys are sold in Oz. They can't see over the mountain of top selling F trucks they sell in the US maybe?
Design criterion for the Mazda BT50 facelift into a Ford Ranger was, according to Ford's own polling, that Australian buyers wanted a vehicle that looked more like a truck.

Here's a thought for Ford, the F Series look more like a truck.

Thinking is the hardest work, and that's why so few people engage in it. Henry Ford
Old 12-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Yeah.... How dare anybody have an opinion . Oh the audacity!

Here's an idea.

Let's all become brain dead sheep and go out and buy fridge white Camrys. That way everyone can drive the same cars and have the same opinions and we can all be happy and pat each other on the back and live happily ever after.

Oh, the irony!!!!!!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Yeah.... How dare anybody have an opinion . Oh the audacity!

Here's an idea.

Let's all become brain dead sheep and go out and buy fridge white Camrys. That way everyone can drive the same cars and have the same opinions and we can all be happy and pat each other on the back and live happily ever after.

Oh the irony of your post. Heard of the pot and the kettle story. You're the star of it.

So, how about you read my post and actually comprehend the post.
Where did I say that we all have to buy Camry's?
Opinions are welcome, never said otherwise, but it is also anyone else's right to buy any car they feel like based on their circumstances without the need for small minded individuals to criticise them.
It'd be like someone else labeling all Falcodore drivers as bogan drunks that cannot string two words together and have an average IQ of single digits. No need to judge someone based on their car.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

https://www.facebook.com/Attackcamry/
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #24
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...shelby-gt500/?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #25
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two reasons :

1) Reliable
2) Cheap (to buy, maintain and run)

People who buy Camry's want a car to get them form A to B and nothing more. They're not "car people" who are looking for style, speed or big burnouts. They just need a form of transportation and nothing does that better than a Camry.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Old 12-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #26
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Opinions are welcome, yet you and several others continually deride my opinions when I post them.

Hypocrisy is alive and well in this place.

We only question you because you attack anyone who thinks differently. A lot of what you say I agree with it. But you love to start an argument. Best I've ever seen on a forum
Old 12-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Toyota knows the car will be fine when they get it back because they would only use it to drive to their weekly devonshire tea party or pop up to the arts and craft shop to pick up some new wool for a cardigan they are making.
I have only ever seen one Camry out at Wakefield Park Raceway and I think it was a hire car.
really .... you think ?
i think its more that people buy them because they know these cars have a bit more effort put into making the cars last longer overall before they need to have repairs done,
if you go back to earlier days and look at how toyota built their cars , a 4 cylinder toyota had bigger bearings in the gearbox than holden v8 , guess which gearboxes failed in short time(hint not the toyota),
you only have to look at the way they are put together to see the whole philosophy of how they build cars is different to many other brands .
look at an early pulsar to a corola , pulsar had cable clutch , corola had hydraulic .
even looking at odd things like a washer bottle for example, the washer bottle in my lexus holds 5 litres of water from memory, the one in my falcon holds about one, there is that build philosophy thing again.
got a small tool kit apart form your basic jack and spare ? my lexus does.

obviously no vehicle is perfect , but , generally toyotas by the numbers are very reliable and attention to detail in the build is good , this is why people buy them imo.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #28
superyob
Banned

[QUOTE=Wretched;5587201]
It'd be like someone else labeling all Falcodore drivers as bogan drunks that cannot string two words together and have an average IQ of single digits. QUOTE]

Th' cat n the h..

Dammit! I knowed there would be vocabulistic consequences for my auspiciously propitious choice of vernacular..., no wait, vehicular intention...
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #29
Carrion

Thumbs up Re: Why People Buy Camry's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Best FB page ever.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The wife has a Sportivo, bought it at 4yo with 80k on it, in the 18mths weve had it i've changed the oil and filter twice and replaced the cabin filter, thats it.

I bought a BF3 wagon 5 months ago with 90k on it, has a clunk in the rear, clunk in the front, ive replaced the window switch surround which just collapsed one day, the passenger switch is dodgy too. The drivers multi switch doesnt always operate the passenger side window.
Its also full of rattles, the plastics are all loose

Both cars were one owners with full history, both cars have done interstate trips in our posession, both soaked up the k's.

Say what you like about Camry's, but in every department apart from outright pace, they leave the Falcon for dead. If we'd bought the V6 it would cover all NA bases.

Sorry for my unbiased, educated and proven opinion.
Agreed 100%

I got out of my Audi A3, 4 years of nothing to do, 140,000kms on the ODO bought it at 90,000 km, I just changed oil and maintained.

Buy F6 R-spec with 54,000kms on clock, mirror rattles, suspension knocks, brake shudder, auto shift cable broke, spotlight bezel fell off, rust in back of boot... 6 months of ownership...

At the end of the day Ford Australia and Falcon dead because they are simply a POS car maker making POS cars, its fast as all get out but a complete bomb.

Back to Audi for me shortly.

Love my classic Fords but dam newer falcons are just crap, never again, it's just a complete head F.....K owning one of them.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread