Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Can someone inform if Ford released aTechnical Services Bulletin in regards to the FG mk2 and SZ Territory ICC touch screen display failing after the battery is disconnected with out a back up supply of power. I have searched but these bulletins are kept under wraps and not accessible to the general public.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Also keen to know about this. Have had many fail and then repaired at exorbitant cost by a monopolistic outfit.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
hellrc5

I guess is is something simple but it was a lot of effort to figure it out and those guys priced their $2 solution just under the wreckers price... but if anyone has some information what actually fails in those ICC units we could come up with a more competitive repair price

Sent from my Note7 FE - Flames Extinguished edition
hellrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to know if the dealerships are supposed to guard against this happening when they disconnect the battery to work on the vehicles or do they risk it and hope it still works when the ICC is powered up again?

Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestr75 View Post
I would like to know if the dealerships are supposed to guard against this happening when they disconnect the battery to work on the vehicles or do they risk it and hope it still works when the ICC is powered up again?
Replaced a battery in a FG2 this weekend. Same car had some work done about 6 months ago and the ICC failed completely and didn't turn back on. I made sure that a power supply was connected so the ICC didn't lose power during the change.

Quote:
I guess is is something simple but it was a lot of effort to figure it out and those guys priced their $2 solution just under the wreckers price... but if anyone has some information what actually fails in those ICC units we could come up with a more competitive repair price
I'm no electrical engineer / genius but I'm told it's a diode of some kind in the screen assembly. Having said that, a taxi I regularly service has 912000KM on it and is nearing 8 years old and has never had a problem with the screen. It may have something to do with cold start up / shut down or sitting idle for a long time, or maybe even the placement on the dash where it is subjected to or could be subjected to high temps.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
Lunch
Wait, what?

Mine failed while Ford had my car, they covered the $2k+ repair bill. Now I won’t touch the battery, just in case, i’ll Leave that for them
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least Ford fixed it for you. Was you car still under warranty?

Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Lunch
Wait, what?

No, was out by about 18 months, the thing is, they had my car for about 5 weeks with the head off it prior to the ICC failing, they realised the day I was set to pick it up, I’m guessing the battery was disconnected for majority of that time.
I do recall being told the reason but I can’t remember what it was, what I do remember is the general manager saying it’s a semi common thing and they only expect it to become more regular

Edit: I just went through my recorded info, it happened in November 2017, I was told there’s a chip in the ICC that fries when battery is disconnected for long periods or when the car is jump started.

Last edited by Lunch; 09-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so how does one restart a flat battery without jump starting, if this happened to your car could you then charge RNMA or similar with damage
Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure but definitely a good question. Who is responsible? Ford for a "faulty screen" or repairer for jump starting??

Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
hellrc5

It did not happened to 2002 to 2011 icc s so i am leaning towards bad design plus jump starting a car is not an out of this world thing

Sent from my Note7 FE - Flames Extinguished edition
Old 09-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

From reading the "monopolistic outfit's" website, the bad chip is in the LCD screen.

A mate at work who bought his XR6T-LE from the same "batch" that mine came from had his go blank (he couldn't remember what might have caused it - but Ford charged him over a grand to fix it). My battery change 5 years ago went smoothly, but I'm probably due for another one soonish. A real worry.

If anyone has a broken LCD panel, which they have lying around because they "upgraded" to a 3rd party ICC to resolve it, I'd be interested in looking at it if it's near Canberra. It needs to be blank and not stuck on the spash screen. If it's just an underrated power regulator, which works ok with FoMoCo's cr@p batteries that don't charge much over 12v - but with a good new ~14.7v battery blows it, then I'd share a how-to to fix them.

I know the alternator puts out 14.7v but all the caps in the screen are charged by the time the engine is started, so a badly picked regulator might not be stressed as much as connecting up a full battery to a drained ICC unit. Of course it might be some other chip that goes which is hard to source.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #13
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Its an interesting discussion to me, does anyone know if it only affects a particular date range, or has a particular cause, or just a random fault? I guess that's why you are looking for a TSB.

Frightens me a little, as I have disconnected the battery on my Jan 2016 SZII for up to 16 weeks while I was away overseas, and several shorter periods, just to save the battery going flat. It has always reconnected perfectly, no problems.

Any more info is appreciated.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #14
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It shouldn't affect SZII - these use a totally different ICC with SYNC2. The bit that fails is the front display module (FDIM - the touchscreen) in the ICC.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did some reading on these a while back and it was said they were made by Sumitomo.

It would be interesting to know if the entire module dies, or just the actual touch screen itself. If anyone has one with a blank screen, check to see if the FDIM shows up on the MS-CAN bus.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceteam View Post
It shouldn't affect SZII - these use a totally different ICC with SYNC2. The bit that fails is the front display module (FDIM - the touchscreen) in the ICC.

I think you are right as I have not seen or heard of an Sync2 screens going blank. It seems like a common enough problem though that Ford would issue a TSB for the issue. Have seen a few posts and pages mention there is one but no actual proof one does exist.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
I did some reading on these a while back and it was said they were made by Sumitomo.

It would be interesting to know if the entire module dies, or just the actual touch screen itself. If anyone has one with a blank screen, check to see if the FDIM shows up on the MS-CAN bus.
Good point. I had read "they" wanted the TFT LCD part back for exchange, but upon more research, that whole component is the ICC. Looking at the schematics, you can tell if the whole unit is broken by testing the 8 buttons (temp-, temp+, fan-, fan+, air-dist, AC, auto & demist) since they go through the ICC and out the CAN bus. If they don't function, the entire ICC is shot.

I pulled off the cover of my ICC today to take a picture. I'm thinking the +12v wire is a candidate for some big-fat voltage regulator (a few amps?) I can add in to protect it from any spikes (the yellow wire on the end):

I can see in the bench test picture of the "exchange" web-page (with 8 LCDs) they have a plug with 4 pins connected. Those would be the +12v and ground, with CAN-H and CAN-L.

I've made a picture, with the connector and each wire's function:

Here's one of the ACM too (I'm thinking of mucking around and disconnecting and grounding some wires to remove the annoying hiss from the audio unit):

I'm pretty sure the +12v is constant too (not going through a relay, but it does go through a couple of fuses). Which makes sense that simply connecting up a fully charged battery (or a started car for a jump-start) will immediately send through the killer voltage. My thoughts are still with the LCD (or its backlight) drawing more current than can be handled by a voltage regulator, once the caps are fully discharged and power is reapplied.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That photo is the top of the FDIM. If you pulled the entire ICC out, there's basically 3 parts to it. FDIM at the top, which is the touchscreen, Audio Control Module at the bottom which is radio, CD, amplifier (not sub amp) and then the front panel controls.

I think most of the front panel controls will still operate even with a faulty FDIM as it just passes the CAN signals through.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
JasonACT
Away on leave

Quote:
...and then the front panel controls.

I think most of the front panel controls will still operate even with a faulty FDIM as it just passes the CAN signals through.
Do the front panel controls have their own circuit board with IC's and things? I could see down the back there was a ribbon cable from that area going to the ICC (I think) but it was more than 4 wires which is all that's needed for a CAN interface [refer back to the test bench comment], leading me to think the ICC handles those buttons. But I didn't pull the whole thing out (if it ain't broken, leave it alone!).
Old 10-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #20
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I'm kinda curious as to why people are taking cheap shots at the "monopolistic" company that refurbishes these units.....
Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #21
JasonACT
Away on leave

By all means, please read on...

http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/showth...29#post6317129

It's more of an expensive shot, if you asked me.

Last edited by JasonACT; 10-08-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: (and) Why wouldn't anyone want a cheap solution to this?
6 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #22
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front panel is a PCB and connected via a multi conductor cable to the FDIM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
JasonACT
Away on leave

Thanks raceteam. One day soon I will call it the FDIM (it's just that the schematics seem to call that the ICC and the other parts the ACM).

My other issue with these companies that provide a solution to this problem is this post (Google cache seems to show it better, I think their site is dying):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

Apparently the "We" in "We need to find a solution" isn't the general forum browsing public, but the company. Yet, the request being made there offering to "help" is so he can get information on something someone else has put effort into.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #24
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect it's called the ICC in the wiring diagram as the entire unit (FDIM, ACM, switches) works together, and I think was only available as a single combined unit from Ford. However if you plug in a scan tool the FDIM and ACM show up as individual modules.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
hellrc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post

Apparently the "We" in "We need to find a solution" isn't the general forum browsing public, but the company. Yet, the request being made there offering to "help" is so he can get information on something someone else has put effort into.
I think unfortunately you are right about the one way nature of the community support. In return for cheaply engineered solutions the community get ransom like prices
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #26
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. I have heard of this issue. Happened to my Cousins FG but on my ute I've disconnected the battery many times without any issue. Fingers crossed.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #27
JasonACT
Away on leave

So, I might have been busy on eBay looking for cheap things for sale.. I think I'm done though now.

I have an FG (not a MK2 [nor a MK1 according to some, apparently, just an FG]) ICC. $100
I have an FG MK2 ICC. $330
I have an FGX ICC. $600

The FG is just a low level LCD one... I was able to "record" the CAN-BUS from my car and get it to show a lot of stuff on the screen when playing back the raw data into the unit. I'm kind of done with it now though, climate controls showed up nicely, but I didn't get any radio things to display. This was a dirt cheap unit - so no great loss, I may come back to it later.

The FGX was delivered next. It has SAT NAV (and the SD card, SD/USB sockets, loom etc.) but I'm yet to trace the wires to get it to light up on the bench. I don't have the schematics of the plugs for the FGX - I didn't think I'd ever need them when I got hold of the FG schematics. Damn!

The FG MKII ICC came today. It seems to have a newer firmware than mine, so that's good. Played back the CAN-BUS recording from my car and I got shown everything I had done in my car the day I took the recording! Climate and radio, including my tuned ACT stations.. Nice.

The FG & MKII has almost the same buttons circuit boards. It has no IC's! The button's wires go into the unit's screen box and are processed by the CPU in it. The FGX has a completely different circuit board for buttons, and it does have a small CPU on the board - and it would seem, all the wires do not go into the screen's box.

To my surprise, the MKII unit has SAT NAV too! It came from VIC, but the last address searched was 3 streets away from me as well - what are the chances? Seriously, it had my street showing an inch away from centre screen. Anyway...

I have some questions.

Did I read somewhere the MKII screen in the higher models (with SAT NAV) are less likely to break?

Somewhere I think I read the FGX ICC is somehow larger and won't fit in an FG without grinding down something, is this true (ignoring the radio plugs, which I'm considering addressing by keeping my coded radio unit part)? It doesn't seem any different in size?

What does Sync2 on the FGX give me over the high-end FGII units?

I'm yet to decide exactly which direction I'm going to go next with all these bits and pieces, but I don't mind the idea of getting the FGX screen+buttons working with the FGII radio (using a translation CAN-BUS device, which I've already half built).. Might be a way of addressing these broken MKII screens, while at the same time bringing on more features.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #28
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
The FGX was delivered next. It has SAT NAV (and the SD card, SD/USB sockets, loom etc.) but I'm yet to trace the wires to get it to light up on the bench. I don't have the schematics of the plugs for the FGX - I didn't think I'd ever need them when I got hold of the FG schematics. Damn!

Did I read somewhere the MKII screen in the higher models (with SAT NAV) are less likely to break? No, they are just as susceptible.

Somewhere I think I read the FGX ICC is somehow larger and won't fit in an FG without grinding down something, is this true (ignoring the radio plugs, which I'm considering addressing by keeping my coded radio unit part)? It doesn't seem any different in size? Not that I am aware of.
Answers in-line above. If you want the pin-outs for the FG-X they are in our tech portal or you can PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceteam
It does affect FGII and SZII - only the FG-X units (and the corresponding Territory build dates) use the updated unit.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #29
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It does affect FGII and SZII - only the FG-X units (and the corresponding Territory build dates) use the updated unit.

SZII is the corresponding build date to FG-X. SZII uses Sync2, not the Sumitomo system.
Old 28-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #30
JasonACT
Away on leave

I tried to remember some of the words I had read about the FGX ICC being too large for the FG/II..

I can see the ACM in the FGX ICC sticks out a bit more than the FG ICC and the left and right metal brackets are different to allow it to hang out the back some more.

The FGX FDIM's mounting holes are also in a slightly different place, and it doesn't quite fit in the space for the FGII 8" screen. I'm sure the entire upper section can be swapped over, but that's not an option for me because I'll have a piano black bottom and a silver top, which will be horrid. The FDIM is close to fitting though, so a bit of trimming of the plastic and a couple of holes drilled in the FDIM's backet might solve that?

I've measured the voltages around the FG2's FDIM circuit board where the power regulators are too. There's a couple in there. Should come in handy if my screen should go pop. Interestingly, when I reassembled it all, the next time I plugged it in I was greeted with a message across the screen I have never seen before: "Thermal Shutdown" which disappeared and I've not seen again. I'm thinking the newer firmware tries to avoid the problem of the screen dying.

I've pretty much decoded everything in the CAN BUS I can think of on the FGII ICC (Radio, CD, CD-MP3 <- that's complicated!) and have moved on to the Sync 2 screen...

I've got it to power up, no easy feat given I don't have a FGX CAN BUS recording. It's not a "Medium Speed" bus either, it runs at the same speed as the FG's main CAN BUS. It's not a very cooperative screen either, the two others mostly worked independently and menus were available and working.. The Sync 2 seems to be waiting for CAN messages before it'll let me do anything more than see how hard to press for the touchscreen to detect it. It's surprising how hard you need to press on these screens. I didn't think it was working at all at first, until I pressed much harder than I need to on my FGII.

Anyway, the Sync 2 CAN BUS mystery continues. If anyone has details of the raw data going on in the FGX's 3rd (HS) CAN BUS, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it!