Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Subaru forester running costs

Warning: Rant

In 2009 I decided my NF fairlane was beyond economical restoration. First car I looked at was the falcons, but they were rubbish. The cars the dealers showed me looked like they had come from a $ shop and the service was appalling.

So I could get a hilux V6 auto xtra cab for 31500 but they only had a single cab workmate to test drive. It was appalling. I later found out the SRs ride a lot better.*&^%...

So I looked at other stuff and eventually settled on a subaru forester manual X. Hated the car soon after buying it. In retrospect one of the worst decisions I've ever made, and it's got solid competition for that.

So a couple of years ago after a particularly painful service bill (1200!) I built a spreadsheet to try and work out how they could possibly justify the $ (hint: they couldn't, I got ripped off). So just for fun (cos I have a weird sense of fun) I added the data for m EL falcon. Incredibly the EL was cheaper to own and run than the subaru, despite $200/yr extra rego ad 20%more fuel. I did not include depreciation or finance.

So 6 months ago the 125k service which includes cambelt is $1800! Then the air con starts playing up. The other day car stops dead no clutch, slave cylinder, $350. Now they want $2100 for a clutch.

Utter garbage. Awful ergonomics, no bottom end, pitches, ordinary seats. Just a horid car. The only area it is superior to the falcon is wet weather adhesion.

130k and it's borderline beyond economical repair. Money pit.

My 2 falcons do break down. About $500/yr for repairs, but the service costs are so cheap that it totally wipes out fuel and reg savings on the forester.

I'll never buy a subaru again, and I'll probably never buy a new car again. I think next time I'll get an XB or something (LTD?) and restore it.

Stick to your falcons. Great cars.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Subaru forester running costs

sorry to hear. Yes I admit the Subaru's cost more to maintain. But I found them more reliable than all my previous Fords I owned. I have the SH Forester (2012) and find all I have to worry about in that car is yearly servicing costs and fuel. Had it 4yrs now, no issues. Sure its no power pack but for what it does it does well and without no complaints.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, funny story, about 6yrs ago we bought the Wife a 2010 Camry Sportivo, old mate across the road comes over for a look that afternoon and mentions how his Mrs wants a newer car, so I mentioned how the dealer we bought ours from had another in dark grey, nah he says, I want a Forester XT.
So a few weeks later he and his brother fly to Qld to pick up an 08 Forester XT with 80k's on the clock, one owner, full dealer history for the tidy sum of $24k plus travel expenses.
They drive it home and he cant stop gloating about how fast it goes and would I like to line him up in the Camry.
Now me being a car guy, and handy with Google, takes a look online in his absence and discovers that those engines have a nasty habit of going bang.
So one evening I mention this to him, nah he says, that's not true, these things are bullet proof, its a Subaru.

So about a week later I arrive home from work and im half way through my first tin of Jim Beams finest when a flatbed tow truck comes crawling up the street with a very familiar grey Subaru Forester on the back.
I watch on as they unload it and I make my way over.
"What happened guys" I asked, "engine went bang" says old mate, "bugger I says, that's out of the blue and unexpected yeah"
"Don't suppose you want to line me up now then hey"
At this point the Towie says something which I still remind old mate about 'til this very day, he points over at the Wife's Sportivo and say...Shoulda bought one of those, bloody bullet proof...

Cost him $7k to rebuild it, which he cleverly loaded onto his mortgage along with the original purchase price, some $32k in total for a 6yr old Forrester.
We never spent a dollar on the Camry apart from do it yourself services and a new battery, owed us $14k.
They're still driving it and it now sounds like a chaff cutter.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's kind of a long held myth that Subarus and good cars that will go forever. It's certainly not been my experience as a mechanic.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
It's kind of a long held myth that Subarus and good cars that will go forever. It's certainly not been my experience as a mechanic.
My experience has been similar as an auto electrician, they crap out AC compressors left right and center and the replacements aren't cheap.

I call them the Japanese Daewoo, they're also a pain in the *** to work on.

Early 00s Forester XT would make an interesting project car though but they seem very overpriced.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-02-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post

In 2009 I decided my NF fairlane was beyond economical restoration. First car I looked at was the falcons, but they were rubbish. The cars the dealers showed me looked like they had come from a $ shop and the service was appalling.

So I could get a hilux V6 auto xtra cab for 31500 but they only had a single cab workmate to test drive. It was appalling. I later found out the SRs ride a lot better.*&^%...

So I looked at other stuff and eventually settled on a subaru forester manual X. Hated the car soon after buying it. In retrospect one of the worst decisions I've ever made, and it's got solid competition for that.

So a couple of years ago after a particularly painful service bill (1200!) I built a spreadsheet to try and work out how they could possibly justify the $ (hint: they couldn't, I got ripped off). So just for fun (cos I have a weird sense of fun) I added the data for m EL falcon. Incredibly the EL was cheaper to own and run than the subaru, despite $200/yr extra rego ad 20%more fuel. I did not include depreciation or finance.

So 6 months ago the 125k service which includes cambelt is $1800! Then the air con starts playing up. The other day car stops dead no clutch, slave cylinder, $350. Now they want $2100 for a clutch.

Utter garbage. Awful ergonomics, no bottom end, pitches, ordinary seats. Just a horid car. The only area it is superior to the falcon is wet weather adhesion.

My 2 falcons do break down. About $500/yr for repairs, but the service costs are so cheap that it totally wipes out fuel and reg savings on the forester.

I'll never buy a subaru again, and I'll probably never buy a new car again. I think next time I'll get an XB or something (LTD?) and restore it.

If you're planning to restore an XB then have a crack at doing the timing belt yourself. The full belt kit with tensioner etc plus water pump retails between $650 and $1000 at repco. Or can be done cheaper if you want to just do the essentials.

And if you plan on owing an XB and intend to have a mechanical workshop do your repairs you are in for a world of hurt!
Old 19-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

The boss got the cam belt done at the dealer for 1800. Water pump and service was done at the same time.

I can rebuild an XB falcon blindfolded with both arms and one leg tied behind my back standing on a ladder juggling burning chainsaws, although that's not the recommended method...

It's the body and sourcing some parts that scares me. When I was young you could buy falcon bits in the supermarket, now you need to drag a dead horse 20 miles though 6' of snow with a bag of gravel on your back to find bits for them...
Old 19-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have yet to drive a Subaru that does not make my back ache; the seat squabs are simply too short so I feel like I am always balancing on the edge of narrow bench. It may have something to do with being a 6ft tall "lollipop figure" with short arms, short body and very long legs per attached pic (This pic is exaggerating the amount of hair I have) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lollypopman2.jpg (11.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 19-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I have yet to drive a Subaru that does not make my back ache; the seat squabs are simply too short so I feel like I am always balancing on the edge of narrow bench. It may have something to do with being a 6ft tall "lollipop figure" with short arms, short body and very long legs per attached pic (This pic is exaggerating the amount of hair I have) .
Do not want to alarm you but I think your toes have fallen off.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

He’s been a chorus line understudy for years because of those legs; got the can-can nailed.

Have seen cheap Forries, one fettled right and with a lift kit would be a good adventuring vehicle. “Claire’s Footsteps” flogged one up around Broome and central Australia three up without major issues.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #11
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
If you're planning to restore an XB then have a crack at doing the timing belt yourself. The full belt kit with tensioner etc plus water pump retails between $650 and $1000 at repco. Or can be done cheaper if you want to just do the essentials.

And if you plan on owing an XB and intend to have a mechanical workshop do your repairs you are in for a world of hurt!
Timing belt in an XB. the old 250's have chains. Crow timing chain and gears $160.00 and water pump $45.00. Easy to change.
Old 19-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Timing belt in an XB. the old 250's have chains. Crow timing chain and gears $160.00 and water pump $45.00. Easy to change.
I meant if he was good enough to work on an XB then a cam belt on a Subaru is a snack. They are easy. Paying $1800 for a workshop to replace it ain’t very smart or sensible shopping around.

And thanks for the tip on the XBs. I don’t know much about them.
Old 20-02-2020, 02:17 AM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up everyone.
My daughter needs a new car for country driving and some off road.
Narrowed the field to Suzuki Grand Vitara or a Forester.
So it looks like a GV, I had one of these about 10 years ago in a V6, great car.
Old 20-02-2020, 05:22 AM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
My daughter needs a new car for country driving and some off road.
Narrowed the field to Suzuki Grand Vitara or a Forester.
Invest $10 and get the harsh objective reviews of both vehicles at https://dogandlemon.com/content/do-you-know-what-buy at least you will know what often goes wrong with the vehicles your interested in and the Vitara has changed over those 10 years. Also read the free sample review. Use the other of the 3 reviews for $10 for one of your existing vehicles as proof of how accurate they are. Ignore his crazy portrait and video they are not up to the high standard of the reviews.
Old 20-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Shorten the legs, add toes and lengthen the arms and that could be me. Got the torso right.

We tried all the small suvs and most were horrendous inside. The nissan and the subaru were the least uncomfortable for us. I was never going to buy a nissan.

We are always wise in hindsight. We tested a hilux, but they only had the workmate which was an absolute buckboard. The dealer told us all hiluxes were like that. Later we met a couple with teh same prolem and had switched from a workmate to the xtra cab sr I was looking at. Same price as the forester! Chalk and cheese. If I'd known what I know now have bought the SR and been happy all these years. A do everything vehicle.

The suzuki is probably a better choice than the subaru if only because parts and labor are a bit cheaper but if you wanted it for the bush the petrol great wall dual cab utes are on atm for under $20 2wd and a couple of grand more for 4wd. I've spoken to a LOT of owners and 90% are really happy with them. They are a truck though...
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
TripleJ85

Interesting thread - I had a similar experience.

Bought a BA E-Gas at 2 years old / 45,000km ex-telstra and drove it for 10 years. Obviously in those years, the benefit of LPG decreased significantly. Most of the issues I had with the car were LPG related but realistically, it served me well and was cheap to run/own. It was awesome on long highway trips both in terms of comfort and cost.
I didn't get much back when I sold it, but see it around from time to time - glad to see it lives on.

I replaced it with an SG Forester X manual - it was my parents car - my old man is having issues with his feet so didn't want a manual anymore.
Ergonomics were pretty poor (I'm a tall guy), road noise was pretty bad, economy wasn't the best. It did hang on to the road nicely in the wet, and served me well as a moving house mule.
It was reliable enough, I guess but servicing costs were pretty steep. I was looking down the barrel of a few grand in servicing costs (new clutch alone would have been $1300 fitted), and decided to move it on. Sold easily for a good price (reputation working in my favor).

I'm driving a 2 year old Skoda Superb wagon now - and so far so good. Nice to have the comfort back that I missed from the Falcon - I'm really not onboard with the SUV craze.
TripleJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

E-Series was the pinnacle as the boot had a carpet or plastic liner on the inside, which afterward disappeared. Ah, decontenting.

I also remember Hilux workmate of 2009 vintage, used them on mines and remember thinking 'people actually buy this with their own coin?' Always loved it when I got a 105 diesel or 75/79 instead.

Interesting Suby discussion, I've always had a soft spot for them after the mates had them and would rally sections of the dirt roads north of Lancelin looking for surf. My plodding Cruiser was way slower...

Another mate can't stand them, the seat comfort just kills it for him. Driving the GOR with him in Suby in front, the Terri would reel in the supposedly great handling Suby on every corner. An XV I test drove felt quite nose heavy and understeery compared to the Terry. My soft spot for them evaporated when I watched a guy do an engine rebuild on YT of the Suby boxer engine - right down to pulling the block casting in half. It was like automotive yoga.

In comparison, the dumb, simple Aussie I6 will just keep on going. And be pretty cheap to maintain in today's times.

Must admit the BFIII wagons look like a smart buy if you can find a good one - they recontented it a little (black carpet) and a low k petrol would last forever without the Terri's constant suspension work.

If your fantasy is an XB, mine's a 60 series Cruiser. Ah, leaf springs.

Otherwise, Camrys, as stated. I think the RZ model of the last Aussie ones 'brings out the bad in Dad'... Have no idea how cheap long term hybrid ownership would be, but taxis are doing Falcon kms on them.
Old 21-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

I've just always thought XB's are secksy,and those first LTD's also. I forget the series but they had louvered covers on the headlight which opened, I think vacuum powered?

OT I don't suppose anyone knows of the top of their heads if teh XB era fairmont and fairlane could be had with a 250? and air ? I think the LTD was V8 only...

Anyway we have 3 cars between 2 people and I'm looking at getting a bike on teh road so something has to go, and the boss doesn't seem keen on going back to driving the EL, which would be the logical solution.

Oh yeah, 60 series... my back and teeth would not stay in place. Eesh. How long since you actually did some distance in one?
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
MercuryT
Banned

Sorry for your awful experience.

I've only ever bought once - but never again.

My issues were nothing near as bad as yours (Mazda 3....good car I just hated everything about it a month after.....seeing the car I sold regularly which i loved just added insult to injury)

It's a really crap feeling knowing you've made a bad decision, lingers constantly so I just bailed and lost heaps.......
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Guzzi the XB Fairmont could be had with a 250 I6, maybe, maybe the early ZF Fairlane Custom too (not sure about ZG).

XA Fairmont could have 250s as well, and 2502V. Apparently a few early XB Fairmonts left the factory with the 250 2V, those would be very rare today.

XC Fairmonts had the crossflow, don't think the Fairlanes had a 6 by then?

Maintaining a 250 Fairmont today would be easy. So easy with the simple carby and far less electrical gremlins (unless it's been butchered over its life). My young one loves XBs like you do, he reckons they are the best looking. I'm lucky enough to have an XW, glad I saved that one from back in the day.

For AC, I believe yes, there was a factory fit AC and a dealer fit AC. You might be able to find some sort of pack to fit it?

There was that auction that is a topic here currently...

I was last in a 60 in 2007, so a lot of it is memory. I'd drive multiple day work missions like Perth-Esperance-Albany- Wheatbelt & any offroad in the thing. It was never as nice as the seating in our Falcons, but I was young and it was a good job, so a sore back after 5 hours was OK at the time. Also did all round southern Oz in it, towing. These days maybe I'd want one for bi-yearly trips with beach work. Out of interest, I didn't find the 105 or the 79 series much more comfortable than the 60; and the 2009 Hilux worse.

Last edited by Sprintey; 21-02-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SWMBO has an '04 Subby Outback wagon, done over 300,000 only regular service, she does NOT look after or care for it. Neighbours kid came over and washed it for some $$ first wash in 7 years.... F if I'll drive it, cannot get comfortable but she loves it, Loves sharing it too, with posts and other cars bumpers in car parks..... Its only got the smaller motor whatever that is.
Old 21-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subies cost a bit in maintenance no doubt, something I never considered when I bought my WRX.

I recently forked out more than what WRX is insured just in servicing but fairly confident it will make it to 300k kays on original motor and gearbox if I keep it that long. Currently going strong at over 220k kays.

Flogged daily and the only real problem I ever have ever had was the security system and now have some buggered synchros which I can deal with.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #23
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
SWMBO has an '04 Subby Outback wagon, done over 300,000 only regular service, she does NOT look after or care for it. Neighbours kid came over and washed it for some $$ first wash in 7 years.... F if I'll drive it, cannot get comfortable but she loves it, Loves sharing it too, with posts and other cars bumpers in car parks..... Its only got the smaller motor whatever that is.
My Sister has had a couple of Outback Wagons, & Loves them .. The first one had almost 500k On It when she (very begrudgingly) retired It & got another. It got Written Off in the Canberra hailstorm a few Weeks ago (with i think 250K).. Now on the Lookout for Number 3..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just wondering why it cost $200 per year more to register a Falcon over the Subaru.
As for the Ford vs Subaru, I would rather replace broken Ford door handles than engines any day. Glad someone mentioned the timing chain.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rego in South Oz ...I think depends on number of cylinders a car has.
Old 22-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just wondering why it cost $200 per year more to register a Falcon over the Subaru.
As for the Ford vs Subaru, I would rather replace broken Ford door handles than engines any day. Glad someone mentioned the timing chain.
In NSW rego goes on weight, QLD (where the OP is) is on the number of cylinders.
Old 22-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
rego in South Oz ...I think depends on number of cylinders a car has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
In NSW rego goes on weight, QLD (where the OP is) is on the number of cylinders.
Thanks..FYI... When I first transferred the panel van rego to Vic, they rego ed it as a station wagon (6 seats), on noticing this and explaining it was a panel van (3 seats) rego cost was reduced by $140.
So I reckon Vic is based on passengers (seats) though they will never admit that.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Thanks..FYI... When I first transferred the panel van rego to Vic, they rego ed it as a station wagon (6 seats), on noticing this and explaining it was a panel van (3 seats) rego cost was reduced by $140.
So I reckon Vic is based on passengers (seats) though they will never admit that.
My F100 only cost $500 odd to register in 2016, I live in boganistan and get rural discount, it was still about $200 cheaper per year than my Focus.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #29
borough

Back in early 2015 I traded my AU ute for a Mitsubishi Triton and I regretted doing it. I looked at FG X utes at the same time, however the dealer was adamant that a child seat could not be fitted to the Falcon. The Triton had issues from day one, a squeak in the back seat every time I went over a bump drove me nuts, rust on the head board and latter I found rust on the doors. I had to fight with the dealer to get the rust fixed, which was finally done. The service and running costs of a Triton are very high, the average service cost was about $800 and it used 10L/100k. Next it started to blow black smoke under acceleration, the dealer said that it did not, however when I had the reversing camera on I could see the smoke. Forget about comfort, after driving the Triton I had back pain. Then one day I drove my wife’s FG XR6 to work. It was like chalk and cheese, my back wasn’t sore and I didn’t feel worn out. The Triton has been traded for a 2014 FG X with 70,000km, now I enjoy driving again.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #30
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah, I have never been particularly impressed with the Forester. I had one between 2010 and 2012 on a company lease and could not wait to get rid of it. I really disliked its softness and vagueness on the highway.

While I have a soft spot for the XA/XB/XC, even the base model six cylinder is getting expensive to source (one example was $22K on car sales).

In my view, a better option (if funds permit) is a BF or FG series. I have seen base model XT FG for $7.5K, and at 108K km it would have considerable life left in it. Taxi drivers run these things into the ground around 700K km.

If reliability is a major concern, another option is to hunt and find a reasonably maintained Camry. Oldies loved these cars, and there is a steady supply of them coming into the market that have only done 5-8K km per year. If it has dealer stamps in the maintenance book, it is a bargain.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post