Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
BENNYMCGWIRE
Starter Motor

Post Replacing Driver Side Mirror AU III

Can someone please assist with instructions (diagrams, photos would be wonderful) on how to replace the Drivers side Power mirror on an AU III. Thanks,

Bennymcgwire

BENNYMCGWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

They are held on by three screws
Just pop off the triangular bit of plastic above the door trim and you should see the screws, usually shiny looking, I think one may be a bit lower but there is a pop off cover in the door panel above it
Then just unplug the connector
Been a while since I done an AU so might not be 100% correct but basically right
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

depends on what your replacing...just the glass or the whole assembly? if its the whole assembly, then as mentioned above. there is the black triangular plastic cover immediatly the other side of the mirror, and a small round "plug" just below that. remove these and the phillips head (X) screws will be revealed. if your just replacing the glass, push the mirror up and to the car as far as possible. get a flat blade screw driver of decent size and slide it in at the bottom corner that is now exposed....looking in you will see a small hole to slide the screw driver into. be sure that the screw driver is firmly against the back of the glass once in that hole and then twist gently holding the glass. it takes a little bit of effort, but the glass does pop off the motor. you should be left with a square-ish base. if the square-ish base is stuck inside the mirror (there will be 2 split plugs sticking out of the back of the glass) then you have actually broken a plastic peg that holds the base firmly to prevent the mirror flopping around. you'll need to buy a new motor....failing that, a new assembly. hope this helps, sorry i dont have any pics at the moment.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

got some pics yesterday....
to remve whole mirror assembly:

to just remove the glass:

to put the glass back in, line up the wire into the slot, the plastic pegs into the corrisponding holes and push firmly with the flat of your palm in the middle of the glass until the mirror clicks back into place. finally check that your controls work properly and that the mirror is seated firmly in position.
hope this has helped

Quote:
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Mosquitocoil
Starter Motor

au2sw that's an amazing pictorial guide. Thanks so much, I'll try this out in a day or two when I can find a replacement glass panel.
Mosquitocoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Mosquitocoil
Starter Motor

Easy as pie... the wrecker couldn't unscrew the whole mirror attachment so he snapped it off for me... which was enough for me to pry the glass off and swap it onto mine.

Thanks again for the tutorial.
Mosquitocoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
Cam
Stroking it...

Another question on this. I have a Silhouette AUII and need to replace a mirror assembly. I have taken the old one off and had a bit of a scour on ebay for a replacement. All the ones I have found are quoted as being "black". Now I'd like to think that the colour would match my car, but i am fairly sure I am going to have to get this sprayed aint I?
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

no probs mosquitocoil, glad to be of assistance.

black and silhouette are close enough in colour that you shouldnt need to worry about painting the cover.....i dont think it will be noticeable in any case, i could be wrong though...having never owned a silhouette.

Also, i have tried to put this in the tutorial section in aufalcon.com, but it never seems to load up for me....perhaps someone else can try it?

Quote:

Last edited by au2sw; 26-11-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
black and silhouette are close enough in colour that you shouldnt need to worry about painting the cover.....i dont think it will be noticeable in any case, i could be wrong though...having never owned a silhouette.
Hrmm, well could be worth a try. Anyone else tried this?
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Ay-You-Steve

Just the post I've been looking for ;) a job that I have to do tomorrow after some one left their bin over hanging the gutter
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Bluey262
Starter Motor

Thanks au2sw, I have to replace the mirror glass in my BA RH door, compliments of someone who either lost concentration, or was playing chicken. Came door to door with a Commodore going the other way at about 60kph. Fortunately only the glass broken, and a slight scratch on the paint on the back of the mirror. I spent ages staring at the bloody thing trying to work out how it's done.
I knew someone here would be able to help, a 2 min search and there it is in living colour. Thanks very much for going to the trouble of taking the photos and posting your step by step guide.
Bluey262 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
no probs mosquitocoil, glad to be of assistance.

Also, i have tried to put this in the tutorial section in aufalcon.com, but it never seems to load up for me....perhaps someone else can try it?
Send a PM to Russ (find him in the sticky sections atop the AU forum page) and ask him to do it for you.

I also am highly appreciative of this "How To", very easy to understand with excellent pictures.

Many thanks,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Are the AU side mirrors exactly the same as the BA ones?
GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
fordfreak22
Starter Motor

Default Re: Replacing Driver Side Mirror AU III

Thanks for the tutorial changed my mirror glass in 2 mins, cheers.
fordfreak22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Send a PM to Russ (find him in the sticky sections atop the AU forum page) and ask him to do it for you.

I also am highly appreciative of this "How To", very easy to understand with excellent pictures.

Many thanks,

GK
I agree GK well said. The more info the better. It will make the process a lot easier.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Very old thread but still worthy as always How handy is the how to section

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Absolutely a great help! I need to change my drivers side mirror glass as the wire clip has fallen out, so the glass is just hanging!!

Any idea how much a wrecker would charge for just the glass??
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
nudder12
Starter Motor

How much would a wrecker charge for just the glass???
If a wrecker would sell just the glass I'd let you know.
But I've called half a dozen of them and they all want to sell me the whole mirror assembly - starting at $50 - and refuse to just sell the glass.
All suggest to get a glazier to cut a piece. I haven't tried that yet. Still hoping to score a proper mirror...and just the mirror.
nudder12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
BAxlsUTE

Thanks for a great thread everyone. Just replaced driver's mirror on my BA ute after some nutter had a fit of road rage and kicked it off, not sure why, probably because I dared to use the same road he was using!

One thing.. the procedure for the BA is very similar, except that the inside door trim needs to be removed to access one of the screws. Also, the colour panel of the mirrors can be changed (i.e. if the 'wing' section of your mirror is the only part broken you can find a replacement of any colour and just swap your coloured panel over).
BAxlsUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
ba-wagon

I know this is an old topic, but I found it useful today - so thank you for putting it up!
Also, the coloured cover on my series 1 AU fairmont ghia is removable as well, so (as BAxlsUTE wrote), if your "coloured cover" is ok, and you can only get a different coloured replacement, you should be ok. You might even get one which has a scrape on the paint cheaper.
There are three clips which will be easy to see as they are fairly large and coloured the same as the cover. They are easy to undo too.
ba-wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Great thread, just one question. What would be the cause of my mirror not moving? I can hear the motor making the same sounds as if its turning, I took the mirror off and could see what looks like a little pin spinning but the bracket holding the mirror on doesn't move :S
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba-wagon View Post
I know this is an old topic, but I found it useful today - so thank you for putting it up!
Also, the coloured cover on my series 1 AU fairmont ghia is removable as well, so (as BAxlsUTE wrote), if your "coloured cover" is ok, and you can only get a different coloured replacement, you should be ok. You might even get one which has a scrape on the paint cheaper.
There are three clips which will be easy to see as they are fairly large and coloured the same as the cover. They are easy to undo too.
2016 and it just saved my day.....

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
brendan9000
Starter Motor

Thanks au2sw saved me and my BA as well!
brendan9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
sloth1

2018 and saved me as well just replace the whole passenger side mirror
sloth1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #25
Falconuteman
Starter Motor

Hey guys,

Just woke up to my drivers side mirror smashed off on the street 😂. Need to replace the whole mirror I think.

The photos are blurry and say photobucket and I can’t click on them maybe they’ve expired but the description is pretty good think I’ve got it; so the triangular trim is on the inside of the door and just pops off when you get something under it and there’s three screws to take off? Or is the triangle on the outside? I always get cautious with trip in case I go prying the wrong piece off and break something.

Cheers,

Sam
Falconuteman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #26
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Inside. 3 screws. One electrical connector. 10 mins
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
Falconuteman