Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Default Intake Mod.

G'day guys,
been a while since I last posted on here but hey here I am lol.
Well if all goes to plan (fingers crossed) I might get my hands on an AU within the next few weeks, just waiting for the green light on a few things. I'm really wanting to get my hands on the G&D C.A.I but unfortunately with the price, conversion rate, Air Freight I'd probably be better off concentrating on something else so have bit the bullet and getting a set of Pacemakers and exhaust work done instead. Hopefully at a later date I'll be able to afford one of the C.A.I Bad boys. I've been over to the workshop on aufalcon.com and printed out the Airbox Mod, got the prices for the parts needed but what I was wanting to know is the intake pipe refered to in the article and the hose refered to, one in the same? as I see the hose cost $12.30(AUS) but at the end of the article it has BA intake pipe $90.00? I got a price for the hose from the local Ford Dealer and it's $36.00(NZD)
Thanks very much for the help guys and to all those who post here. _2:

Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
canuk7

Default intake mod

yum-yum, i have just done that mod and it seems to work well. the intake & the hose are different. the hose is the small diameter rubber hose that goes from the back of the rocker cover ( by the firewall ) to the opening in the b.a.intake. The b.a. intake of course is the whole part going from the throttle body the air box. I checked with ford and they quoted something like $115 for the intake, so i got one from the wrecker for $40. As for the small hose ford did'nt seem to know what i wanted, so i bought the hose at auto barn for $3( heater hose). Hope this answers your question and good luck with the mod!
canuk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk7
yum-yum, i have just done that mod and it seems to work well. the intake & the hose are different. the hose is the small diameter rubber hose that goes from the back of the rocker cover ( by the firewall ) to the opening in the b.a.intake. The b.a. intake of course is the whole part going from the throttle body the air box. I checked with ford and they quoted something like $115 for the intake, so i got one from the wrecker for $40. As for the small hose ford did'nt seem to know what i wanted, so i bought the hose at auto barn for $3( heater hose). Hope this answers your question and good luck with the mod!
Thanks very much for the response canuk, that makes alot more sense. Drove to the nearest city centre today and there's a Ford wreckers there and thought I might be able to get everything on the cheap, to my amazement, they had 1 EF Air box lid, had only 2 AU's to wreck and no BA's at all: so much for going cheap. Never mind I'll be trying to get what's needed and hope to get everything up and running :
Thanks again.
Old 23-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Just be aware that the ba intake pipe does not maintain as much suction in the engine so rear oil seals (like mine ) tend to leak.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Im just wondering if that hose from the rear of the rockercover to the intake pipe really needs to be there at all , i know it has to do with pollution standards/laws too i think , but would there be any harm done by blocking the hose with a big ball bearing ( so it still looks connected ) ??? , without doing any damage to the engine ??? .. Just makes me wonder as the amount of heat that comes from under the rockercover through that hose into the intake makes the air and intake pipe hot as hell , it sure would cool the air down a bit if it was plugged off ? , just a though , any suggestions ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
LOWAU

take the pipe off the intake....good.

put ball bearing in it.....baaaaaaad.

if you want to, just get a 'T' connector run another hose down the engine bay, The one that goes to the intake, tape up the intake part (where the hose connects) then slip the hose on again, looks neat and legit.

but thats your breather pipe so if you think of it.........breather.......do not block.

my mate blocked it on his 253 and suffed half of his oil seals due to presure build up.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
take the pipe off the intake....good.

put ball bearing in it.....baaaaaaad.

if you want to, just get a 'T' connector run another hose down the engine bay, The one that goes to the intake, tape up the intake part (where the hose connects) then slip the hose on again, looks neat and legit.

but thats your breather pipe so if you think of it.........breather.......do not block.

my mate blocked it on his 253 and suffed half of his oil seals due to presure build up.

no worries ;) - i was wondering about pressure build up , i knew in a dirty ol' v8 half leaking anyways it was doable np's , but yeah i like that idea of using a T piece inbetween / bloking the intake end and running the bottom of the t down to tthe bottom of the engine bay undert the car ;) . cheers , thats the next thing to be done .

Old 23-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Better still, do not block it at all. Modern engines are designed with EPA rules in mind and legally it is just not worth messing with them. I'd rather spend $10,000 on mods then the same in fines for an EPA infringement.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

usually on turbocharged vehicles the breather when into an oil catch can ... mainly cos of blow-by and excess oil going back into the intake .. you could run it to a catch can and empty the oil out every so often ... sometimes people put an mini K&N filter on it ... but you do get a bit of oil spray out of it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol , true , but the worst they can do ( if they did happen to look and notice it ) , the worste they can do is throw a letter at ya telling you to take it down to the main epa depo in Altona (been there - done that with my XE..lol) - if u fix it there and then - then there is no need, besides if you carryed a spare non cut hose without the T-piece in it in ya glovebox then you could easilly just change it back infont of their face . Sure would make a huge difference getting that hot air ouf the intake, have you ever pulled that hose off and felt the heat coming out of it !, its stinking hot, enough to wreck a nice cool airflow..

Im not advising anyone else to do it ;) - what you do is up to you , but as Casper stated it is against the EPA laws.

Makes me wonder if there is even another legal place the hose could be run to (into the manifold - burn that tadd excess oil thats in the air off as smoke ?????) ????? anyone know of somewhere else legal to connect it to other than the intake ?? , must be somewhere , there is enuff pollution gear on them these days so u'de think so!

Old 23-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

im thinking even like the old setup on my xe with the shaker years ago, the hose from the rockercover ran to the side of the blue housing around the bottom of the skaker ( to the outer part of the air filter ) - that blue part was almost like what u can call an airbox sorta these days for those who dont know what im on about .. anyways .. that setup allowed that hot air to mix with the larger volume of colder air in the box/shaker suround, making the box a tad warmer and the air a tad warmer , but the end result of air was not as warm as injected right near the intake/throttle body like on these newer cars , due to the larger volume size of air in the airbox being allowed to mix with the hot air - compared to just throttling all that hot air straight into the main small volume intake pipe near the throttle body - where the ratio of cool air is less ( i hope i described it clear ??) . Yeah u'de get a dirty filter more often prolly (but even then they had a bit of foam on the end of the hose so it didnt spray all over the filter ) .. maybe running that hose to the airbox on the intake side of the filter ( near where the main snorkel connects ) .. maybe this is possible and legally , maybe it could have some advantage ????? , i dunno ... maybe maybe ..lol , any ideas anyone else ? .. It really is alot of heat generated from that hose , so it would have to be some kind of bonus to run it elswhere to produce a cooler source of air ??

Old 23-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

By the way , im not looking at doing something like this expecting power gains or anthing ! - i just want to see if the running smoothness and economy of the engine can be settled down a bit/ overall light improved ;)

Old 23-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

it is both crazy and amazing that that could make sense... lol i'm lost...but that doesn't take much after "this is a steering wheel and here is the gear stick".
Old 23-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

LOL I gotta keep a better track of the threads I start. Thanks for the replies everyone, although most has gone right over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Just be aware that the ba intake pipe does not maintain as much suction in the engine so rear oil seals (like mine ) tend to leak.
so would there be an alternative to the BA intake? besides the one already on the car.
Old 24-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Maybe something else im thinking about contructing out of fibreglass ( to rid the heat off the main air intake pipe ), is like an insulated sleeve ( 2 thin layers of fibreglass with a cool insulative inbetween the layers ) that will slip over/bolt on over the whole air intake pipe ( after the airbox ) and follow it right around to near the intake. I want to create this sleeve so it has like at least a 1cm airpocket around the main intake pipe inside the tube i make , seal the end of the sleeve i make to the outerside of the intake hose ( after the box ) and run some venting from one of the front pods or something into the sealed end of my sleeve ( to force cool air down the sleeve around the main air intake pipe ) .. and leaving the end of the sleeve open slightlly to allow the air to pass through (which that excess air under the hood from the tube might help keep it a bit coolder under engine bay too , alllthough thats just a bonus it that happens too !, allthough i wouldnt expect too much from this mod for that percific reason - its not a bonnet scoop ! ). Sound like a good idea ?

Old 24-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
SIKSIX
Its gone V

yeah i you got a life sentence in prison with nothing else to do, lol. :
dat would be good but if you like run the airconditioner lines though it then you would have a refrigerated intake.....mmmmmm.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
dat would be good but if you like run the airconditioner lines though it then you would have a refrigerated intake.....mmmmmm.
lol , that passed my mind too , but it sorta defies the logic/reason of it all . To get the pipes from the aircon cold you'de have to have ya aircon ON which would load the engine a bit more (- power) thus eating away any slight power increase you might of gained from the sleeved intake mod alone without the extra pipes/lines . would probably work a treat if the aircon wasn't driven off the engine ! .

Old 24-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
SIKSIX
Its gone V

you said it your self.

"would probably work a treat if the aircon wasn't driven off the engine ! ."

well theres your next project lol.
Old 24-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What's it attached to and what did you use to attach it?

I can imagine how you would get more airflow as the air is deflected off the flap, onto the underneath of the bonnet and into the snorkel. Good one.

I reckon Casper has the idea though, 2 dyno runs will confirm it.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #20
SIKSIX
Its gone V

i used 2mm stainless (i work in a food factory), and just used self tappers, and painted it black.
Old 24-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
What's it attached to and what did you use to attach it?

I can imagine how you would get more airflow as the air is deflected off the flap, onto the underneath of the bonnet and into the snorkel. Good one.

I reckon Casper has the idea though, 2 dyno runs will confirm it.

GK
Thats actually the other mod me/we did your on about ( the small flap for the intake ) , its attatched to the main chassis just infront of the snorkle , i made/folded like a type of compressed clip lip on mine so it clips on, nice and snug tight fitting too , I've checked it a few times since and it hasn't moved a thou' ..lol , took a bit longer to fold the clip mechanism right but i didn't want to have to drill & screw it onto the chassis ..... <-- thats the 'OMG - it actually worked a bit' mod/thread ... lol

This mod im on about here is a totally different mod more along the lines of keeping the whole intake pipe cold right up to the intake manifold. ;)

sorry about there being 2 threads on C.A.I mods but this thread i didnt start , and this thread sorta merged into this from the above yak yak being more along the lines of this kinda intake mod ..lol cheers ;)

Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #22
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

I have a BA intake for sale for $50 only used a couple of time if anyone is interested PM me. I dont need it as I have the 3 inch mandrel bend set up simmilar to the Jim Mock setup.