Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Europe to Australia Windscreen Carriers

I was excited the other week to think I’d finally assembled all parts for a repair to one of my bent Citroëns. Then realised “I need a windscreen”. It’s laminated, athermic, sensor and twenty years out of production. Nothing here worth paying a high used part price for, no new stock either.

It’s presumable that others ship various screens as one-offs out of a European port, and wondering if there are established channels for doing this. A quick Google revealed nothing of substance or recent.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Europe to Australia Windscreen Carriers

have you looked at the specific model thru online groups (fuzbook etc) ?
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I fail at the first hurdle there, no Faceache. I’ve crossed paths with most involved around this model; it’s nothing special, just a sentimental repair.
Old 24-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I fail at the first hurdle there, no Faceache. I’ve crossed paths with most involved around this model; it’s nothing special, just a sentimental repair.
Independent windscreen repairer ?? NOS. ??

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Gladwrap?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

No windscreens and just wear safety glasses
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I have a friend that has been in the windscreen game for over 30 years, I remember him telling me that they used to cut laminated screens down to fit other applications, they just matched the curve with a common screen and cut it to suit, might be an option?

You might just need to contact one of the larger screen replacement companies, im sure they would have heard of this process before.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If I really get stuck, that is a route I’ve heard of. I could also have the local windscreen fellow cut a used one from the only wreck I’ve seen in years (but it’s an earlier screen, no sensor and just straight laminated). That would be my cheapest option at $130.

I’d honestly like a new screen of the correct type, there is stock in France and only a fool would just ship one. (Two or three being the logical choice.) The cling wrap option sounds good but I have some lingering concerns. For one, postage stamps don’t stick very well to it.
Old 24-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #9
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

What model is it I can ask my mate, he now works in the warehouse of a very large windscreen supplier, he might have a option for you
Old 25-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #10
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Here is a heap of Citroën windscreens in Australia, not bad pricing either
https://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.au/brand/~-6183
Old 25-05-2021, 01:47 AM   #11
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I have a friend that has been in the windscreen game for over 30 years, I remember him telling me that they used to cut laminated screens down to fit other applications, they just matched the curve with a common screen and cut it to suit, might be an option?

You might just need to contact one of the larger screen replacement companies, im sure they would have heard of this process before.
Yeah, I saw that on s14e04 of wheeler dealers when they were doing a 1973 Saab 96 and couldn't get a windscreen. They matched the curve and contour from a local car (chev 2000s impala) and had it cut out to fit. You need access to a massive warehouse of windscreen choices to find a match though.

For a windscreen to be safely shipped it would need to be in a crate and surface freight still has risks depending on loading/unloading, crane, rough seas etc. Would be an expensive and slow risky purchase even if you would find a vendor willing to try - they may refuse due to assuming you'll want refunding if it arrives damaged so even selling one is a risk they might not wish to make.

Last edited by oldel; 25-05-2021 at 01:54 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 05:40 AM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d assume a carrier who agreed to transport properly packed glass would have an insurance policy available, supplier liability would cease at handover to logistics. There’s no overt hurry so I’ll keep sniffing until something comes up; quite possible another Euro car owner or piecemeal importer is in similar shoes and looking for shared crate space.
Old 25-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tried Ralph Moore Autoglass?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They are no Moore.
Old 25-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #15
ESPJG32

I have been down this path and it was successful. I needed some heated windscreens for Targa Tas cars.....it was a special order and I had to buy 20 screens to get them made, the company that made them packed them in a special thick cardboard box, ten screens in each box, they placed a thin layer of plastic between each screen and taped 10 screens together in each box - so we really had a thick slab of glass that was probably 75mm thick, properly packed and airfreighted from the UK....not a single screen was broken,,,,although I did expect some breakage.
I think the more screens you can order the thicker the slab will be the better chance of success....not sure I would trust sea freight...containers do get some very rough handling at ports and I have heard of significant glass breakage in sea freight....insurance would be a must. someone I know recently imported some small knocked down/flat pack buildings....not a single piece of glass survived....about $10k worth of glass went into the skip bin.
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my cousin's , mothers ,husbands , sister's, daughter,s , friend is coming from Europe soon, i think. let me know what your after, maybe we can do a deal.
(theirs a guy in penrith, batt st that has citrons in his yard) have you tried him?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, I know him, know of the stock there. Just that I prefer to look elsewhere. ;-)
Old 26-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
hayseed

I've got a Feeling that there's someone around Richmond/Windsor who custom makes Automotive Glass..
may work out cheaper than paying International Freight.. maybe..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post