Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Flags Of Our Fathers Movie

This is a great war movie. Eastwood and Speilburg have made a great movie on the raising of the flag on IWO JIMA and what happened to the flag raisers. I have seen the Memorial in Arlington and if you drive around the Memorial anti-clockwise, it gives the illusion the flag is being raised.
Battle scenes are graphic and well done.
I would give it 4 out of 5.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
satria
FOXWHO

i have NEVER fallen asleep in a movie at the cinemas......NEVER.

i lasted about 30mins until i was (uncomfortably) snoozing for however long the rest of the movie went lol

*cough* great movie *cough*

PS: i love war movies, so this one imo was crap :P
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm I have been holding off seeing this one as movies directed by Eastwood do seem to be a snoozefest. Also from the reviews it seemed there was a lot of "back story" and not many fighting scenes - is this true?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. Its the story of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima and what happened to them. The battle scenes would be 50% of the movie. The book is a good read, film follows the book, so read the book first. Which is what I did. I was pleased with the movie.
Its a true story which is what I like.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
kooky
WRX terrorist

I found it very entertaining

Also saw "the Prestige" last night, great flick ;)
Old 14-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been to that Marine Corps memorial (it's proper name) and it's worth a visit as is the rest of the rest of the memorials, buildings and museums in DC.
I wasn't aware of that fact you mentioned. I do remember it was a very very long walk to get there from the National Mall especially on a hot summer day.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Saw the shorts for it last night, looks like its worth a watch... but not sure if it's the kind of film i want to see at a cinema. Certainly a story that i want to learn about.

Might wait for it on DVD and watch this one at home.
Old 14-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon
I have been to that Marine Corps memorial (it's proper name) and it's worth a visit as is the rest of the rest of the memorials, buildings and museums in DC.
I wasn't aware of that fact you mentioned. I do remember it was a very very long walk to get there from the National Mall especially on a hot summer day.
I only know that because I went on a tour and the tour guide showed us.
It is quite eerie to see it.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

I went and saw it because my girlfriend wanted to, originally i asked to see jackass or something, but im glad i went,it was a great movie, i was expecting it to be boring as i knew noting about it, but a good watch. A little long winded, but not bad overall, still would have preferred jackass though, or saw

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

A little long winded, though I went and saw it with my brother in Southbank last weekend, and we both enjoyed it very much. I think it is a movie that you would need to know the background to to get the full story out of it, if that makes sense.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post