Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 27-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question '93 Telstar TX/5 Ghia 2.5 V6 Water pump leak

Hi guys, I have been around for a fair while now but haven't posted anything to date as I have had a pretty good run with my TX/5 until lately.

The engine has sprung a water leak and as fast as I pour water into the filler it runs out just under the water pump.
At least that's where it looks like it is coming from. I confirmed this by using an inspection camera mainly because it can't be seen without one.

I am wondering if there is any easy way of getting into the water pump on one of these V6's? There isn't much room between the engine bay wall and the end of the engine where the pump is situated.

I have always done all of my own repairs, but this one looks like it might have to go to the shop unless one of you good people can advise me otherwise.
I look forward to hearing/reading your views on this.

P.S. Is there anywhere that I can download a workshop manual for this model Telstar TX/5? I believe it is the same engine as used in the '93 Mazda 626.

Cheers
Wayne

Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Samy82

Default Re: '93 Telstar TX/5 Ghia 2.5 V6 Water pump leak

It will be very difficult because of the lack of space... I reckon if you support the engine with a jack and take off the engine mount it might help you manoeuvre with a bit more space. I've not had to deal with this exact care unfortunately.
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thanks for your advice. I did think that if it weren't for the engine mount being in the way, the job would be a bit easier.
I have a trolley jack, so I might make up a brace that I can bolt onto that end of the engine and then jack it up a bit or enough to take the weight of the engine and see how I go for space.
Once again, thanks very much for your input.
This forum is always a good source of information
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

A trolley jack and decent block of wood on the sump is all you need. The engine can be raised / lowered quite a bit to help with access.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Samy82

Yep diffenitely agree with smally, just a block of wood with the trolley jack will do the trick.
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Default Re: '93 Telstar TX/5 Ghia 2.5 V6 Water pump leak (SOLVED)

Thanks guys You have been most helpful. Now that I think about it, it is a very simple solution that I'm sure will work well.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your TX5 manual may be a bit harder to find. I have been looking for one for some time. Even the public libraries don't have them. The nearest 1993 Telstar repair manuals I could find in libraries were in SA and Perth and they will not lend them. NSW libraries simply do not have them. Why am I looking in Libraries? because the last quote I got on a AX Telstar repair manual was $98. Workshop manuals go up dramatically from there.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thumbs up Re: '93 Telstar TX/5 Ghia 2.5 V6 Water pump leak (SOLVED)

Thanks for the tips on the manual.
I had been checking the Eastern Libraries to see if they had one but you're right the cupboard is bare.
I believe it is possible to get a copy from Haynes in Scoresby, but they are expensive. I think I might follow that lead and see what comes up.
Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Wayne