Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
amlohac

Default Snow chains

Ok whats the deal with a GERMAN car not being able to use frigging snow chains? I read in the manual that they should not ever be fitted to the car? WTF?

SO i rang ford, i asked why they said "cos it says so in the manual"...... not happy with that response. So i asked for a techinical reason, the woman on the other end said "we arent a technical department" so i asked them to transfer the call, that was dificult obvisously cos it took half an hour.

so im talking to this dude, he basically said "You cant use chains on the focus? really?...... hang on"...... on hold again for 20 minutes. He comes back and says that the wheel bearings cant support the extra weight and force of the chains on the tyres, and that if you put them on there i run the risk of loosing the whole wheel.

Does that sound right to any of you? Does this not confuse all of you? Doesnt europe have alot of snow?

amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Maybe it buggers with the DSC or something?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Doesnt europe have alot of snow?
Maybe they use studded tyres like they do in the WRC :P

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Trevor 57
is now there

Sounds a bit suss to me, there are plenty of front wheel drive cars in the snow fields ever year, I reckon if you put them on right and don't drive like an idiot or for too far then you won't have any problems.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I doubt snow chain's themselves would add that much extra weight to make the wheel fall off or stuff the bearing's, sound's like BS to me.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
sbrodka
Starter Motor

amlohac,

On page 182 of my Focus Owner's Manual there is a whole section on Snow Chains clearly indicating that there is no problem with its usage. Standard (and common sense) requirements apply such as: apply only to the front wheels, do not exceed 50km/h and remove them immediately on snow-free roads. Manual also mentions that ABS will operate normaly.
Regards,
Steven (new Zetec)
sbrodka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
amlohac

I have a 2003 zetec. Not one of the new models sorry i should have mentioned that. And i guarentee you that the manual states that at no point are chains to be fitted to the car.

I do agree with you all, it sounds bloody stupid and surely if you dont drive like a mental person (not that you would when driving in the snow unless you had a death wish) it would be fine to fit them? I really couldnt get a straight answer from Ford Aust. Like i said the guy i talked to was stunned to find out that you shouldnt fit chains.

oh well! Guess ill just be driving my mates Rexy up there again even weekend!
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Focus_RS
Starter Motor

I have fitted them to my 2004 Zetec once heading up to Mt Hotham.. didn't have any problems during or after I fitted them (besides my hands going numb in the process) but i guess it's a case of use at your own risk... just don't drive like an idiot i guess?
Focus_RS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Try ffoc.co.uk?