Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
rastus1
Starter Motor

Default LW Focus Gearbox Faults

I have an LW Focus Tend 2 litre with a powershirt gearbox, purchased Dec 2011. It now has 2100 ks on the odo and on 3 occassions has shifted into nuetral whilst driving. Went back to the dealer 2 weeks ago for a "re-flash" of the gearbox. Today shifts into nuetral while turning right against highway traffic , no drive, no go and almost run over by a b double doing 110 as a result!!! So close to being flattened.

Has anyone had similiar issues?

Contacted the dealer this afternoon and the car booked next tuesday, being the first opportunity for them to look at it. The service bloke admitted no idea about the problem. Have looked at US forums and this shifting into nuetral fault appears to be but only one, of reported problems with the powershift with Ford US aware of all the different faults.

Also the Focus badge on the tailgate was not attached correctly, and all the doors particularly on the nearside are misaligned. Dealer had me take it to their panel shop and the owner there said, wow this is not acceptable for a new car. So far Ford have not OKed repair at their expense and the ownership experience is not proving not positive!

Previous car a Hyundai Getz 8 years old, now owned by my daughter and nothing on this car has ever gone wrong, just regular service. The finish and fit on the Getz is better at 8 years old than on this new Focus. Will let you all know how this turns out and maybe of help to others. All the best.

rastus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Pete A
Boss 260

Default Re: LW Focus Gearbox Faults

We've had the Titanium since October 11 and have had no such problems. In fact no real problems at all. The 6Sp auto takes a while to get used to and has had some upgrades to improve drivability but it is a DSG box, so a bit different. Certainly no problems with going into Neutral. THis is dangerous and dig your heels in for a new box. Give them 1 chance to fix it and then demand a new one.
Good luck. Panel fit on the Titanium is also quite good.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
rastus1
Starter Motor

Thanks Pete A. Last week took the car to the dealer. They reprogrammed the gearbox with a newly developed update from Ford. Apparently the dealer was taking direction from the experts in Ford Aust. throughtout the reprogram.
The result? Like night and day. The gearbox now works like a dream! Smooth, no noise, no shifting into neutral, up and downshifts decisive and seamless and the car just seems so much more responsive. In sport the box will now change down going down hill by merely lifting off the accerator, no need to brake. Fuel consumption has improved from 6.9 l/h to 6.1 only driving around my regional town.
Today the dealer also realigned the doors. The car now looks shmick with doors that fit! We just kept at the dealer to fix the car, they also seemed more friendly when we told them how great the car felt with the gearbox upgrade and they immediately let Ford know. Hopefully now all good, these new Focus cars are really very fine motor cars. Cheers.
Old 18-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
jonohoang

We currently have an issue where there is a rattle/vibration at low revs and lower gears.

2012 Focus Titanium

I have read on the below forum that this noise will improve, as the clutch is running in.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=281594

I am not sure if I should bring it in, or just wait? Car is currently at 5000k's.

Any advice on what I should do guys?
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
rastus1
Starter Motor

Jonohoang, take the car back to your dealer and get them to reprogram the gearbox under warranty. The clutches should have run in by now.
Ford are well aware of the various issues with the powershift belief me.
Good luck mate!
Old 19-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
jonohoang

Thank you will see how I go.
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post