Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
steambao
Starter Motor

Question Sudden loss of power at roundabout

So, I have a 2007 ford focus zetec and recently installed a cold air intake. Testing the effect of the CAI, decided to drive my car hard. All good so far, 1 litre per 100km fuel saving!

However, I reached a big roundabout and went through it at 60 to 70km/h. After straightening up I pushed on the accelerator only to hear my car go into that max 60km/h mode. Turned the car off, turned it on and was even worst. Pulled over to the side again, popped the bonnet. Everything was fine, no warning codes. And then the car worked fine.

I googled it and heard about something called PSP which cuts power if your vehicle corners at a speed enough to cause loss of traction. Is this true? I have a model with ESC though.

steambao is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
DeKa

Default Re: Sudden loss of power at roundabout

The first thing ESC does is cut the power, then uses differential braking on individual wheels to pull the car back into line if necessary. I'd say you went too fast, exceeded available grip, and the ECU activated the ESC. If you had have waited a fraction of a second, you would have had normal power return.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There should have been a warning light come on in the instrument panel to show the ESC was operating There is one on the LT I have and if I turn a corner with a drainage grate in the road the tyre slips and triggers the ESC
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
steambao
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
The first thing ESC does is cut the power, then uses differential braking on individual wheels to pull the car back into line if necessary. I'd say you went too fast, exceeded available grip, and the ECU activated the ESC. If you had have waited a fraction of a second, you would have had normal power return.
Sorry Deka, I made a mistake. I have a car WITHOUT ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
There should have been a warning light come on in the instrument panel to show the ESC was operating There is one on the LT I have and if I turn a corner with a drainage grate in the road the tyre slips and triggers the ESC
Pretty sensitive! Do you notice the ESC affect your car after you straighten up?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steambao
Sorry Deka, I made a mistake. I have a car WITHOUT ESC

Pretty sensitive! Do you notice the ESC affect your car after you straighten up?
If you have ESC, and end up in a situation in a roundabout as described, you will find that the ESC straightens the car up before you even have a chance to do anything.

In your case however, I can't comment why you lost power as you don't have ESC.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May be worth checking all fluid levels - particularly Trans Fluid.

I say that as it reminds me of an issue I had with my AU Falcon after fitting trans cooler- no drive on/after cornering. (Auto) Trans Fluid level was low, so going around corner was enough so that pickup was 'dry'.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Get yourself a bluetooth scan tool and Torque Android app. Read the scan code.

Last time I had reduced power mode is when the TPS went under warranty

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
steambao
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Get yourself a bluetooth scan tool and Torque Android app. Read the scan code.

Last time I had reduced power mode is when the TPS went under warranty
A What? Just did a search on OBDKey... This looks awesome! Online looks expensive, where did you buy yours from?
Old 19-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They seem to go under $100 for the plug in versions not Bluetooth however

http://www.chinavasion.com/car-diagnostic-tools/
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
steambao
Starter Motor

Ok. So a few months later, all seems well. I recently bought a OBDKey and leave it in my car. So today, low on fuel (61km left on tank), on the way to petrol station, take a regular corner, REV hard after straightening up and BAM. Torque gets limited to 2k. Speed limited to 60km/h also. However, going up a hill speed limited at 15km/hour because Torque limit to 2k comes first (all gears).

I thought, maybe it is because im low on fuel. Manage to crawl to petrol station (thank god its 12 midnight). Pump her up to half (nice BP ULTIMATE). Start car, still limited. Struggle up another hill, for 5 minutes, still limited. Stop my car, have a look around, wait 5 minutes. Turn car back on again and it's back to normal.

However, during the limited time, using my OBDKey, I checked for ECU code errors - nothing. My Short Term Fuel trim is -15% (Intake manifold preasure 4.7psi). I'm not sure if that is the reason why I got speed limited, or whether it is suppose to happen when ur car is in limit mode.

Weird cos I got no ESC on my car, and took the corner slowly this time.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be taking it to get looked at mate.

You might have an issue with your gearbox, throttle sensor, anything really.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I was just reading a post on another forum from someone with a Jeep Cherokee with the same problem (or at least the same symptoms). They said they replaced the throttle position sensor (TPS) and the issue was resolved. It might be a worth a try and apparently was an easy job as well (on the Jeep at least)

It can be tested for faults, try the link below .....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4489318_trou...ps-sensor.html
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
steambao
Starter Motor

If its near the throttle body, then I have a feeling I might have knocked it when installing the CAI. Will check it on the next weekend im free, a long with replacing my thermo sensor!! So much to do and so little time :(

Thanks guys for the help!
Old 23-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Yeah, its easy to do, make sure the electronic connection into the throttle body is secure and clipped in all the way.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

This is the only pic I could find of what the TPS looks like, this pic is with the throttle body dismantled, but it should still give you an idea of what to look for

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post