Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Holden Kills Off Statesman

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25778F00312C69

Caprice takes over as GM Holden’s long-wheelbase representative

31 August 2010

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS

HOLDEN will discontinue its oldest nameplate – the Statesman – with the introduction of the WM Series II facelift this month.

The dropping of the Statesman badge will also see the VE long-wheelbase sedan’s range halved to just two models.

Taking a downmarket dive will be the WM Series II Caprice V6, replacing the outgoing Statesman V6 as the base model.

Coming in at $61,990, it will actually cost $2000 less than the cheapest Statesman in the old range, and a sizeable $9500 under the existing Caprice V6.

Furthermore, Holden has slashed $5500 from the price of the Caprice V8 flagship, which is now $69,990 – or $2000 more than the outgoing Statesman V8.

The V8 will also be taking a leaf from the VE Calais by adopting the V-Series “sports luxury” branding.

According to Holden’s sales, marketing and aftersales executive director, John Elsworth, the change “reflects detailed customer feedback” and makes for a simplified walk-up process for existing Calais owners.

“Market research consistently told us that the Caprice nameplate, with its definite sports luxury character, appealed to a far broader customer base,” he said.

“We believe that presenting a choice of two models which share the same strong brand appeal but differ in specification will now make the step up to Caprice from its short-wheelbase siblings, such as the Calais V, a more natural move for many buyers.”

Holden2010 Caprice center imageLeft: Holden Caprice Series II. Bottom: Holden WM Statesman.

Holden has not yet released full WM Series II specification, technical and pricing details (that comes at the September 10 media launch), other than the Caprice V6’s 3.6-litre direct-injection SIDI V6 will offer 210kW of power and economy of 9.9 litres per 100km – a four per cent saving over its MY10 equivalent.

Meanwhile, the Caprice V8 V-Series will employ a 260kW version of the Chevrolet-sourced 6.0-litre Gen-IV V8 with AFM (Active Fuel Management) cylinder-deactivation technology.

However, that is 10kW less than the existing V8 engines, which may be related to a two per cent reduction in fuel consumption (12.3L/100km). Being E85 bio-ethanol ready, there is also a CO2 reduction.

As before, a six-speed automatic gearbox with ‘Active Select’ facility is the only transmission choice on offer.

Exterior changes are slight, limited to minor alterations to the front and rear sections, different trim, and three new colours – Alto Grey, Mirage Glow (beige) and Sizzle (bright metallic red) – for a total of seven choices.

Inside, both Caprices boast Holden’s new touch-screen centre console, dubbed “iQ System”. Among its attractions are multi-media applications such as mega hard-drive storage, Bluetooth/iPod/MP3 player/USB flash drive connectivity, fancier sat-nav with traffic info, and a rear view camera.

The V8 V-Series adds a sunroof, Nappa leather upholstery, dual-screen rear DVD player (that can also play through the iQ system when the car is stationary), Bose audio and Holden’s tri-zone climate control system.

With the Ford Fairlane dead since December 2007 and just the ageing Chrysler 300C to contend with in the under-$100,000 Upper Luxury segment, Holden is currently enjoying a 75 per cent market share.

However, while Caprice sales have risen slightly in the first seven months of this year, the Statesman’s volume has fallen by almost 30 per cent over the same period, no doubt prompting Holden to cut it loose.

The Statesman was first released in July 1971 with the radically styled HQ series Holden range.

Based on the Premier, but built on the HQ wagon’s 2895mm wheelbase – something GMH neglected to do with the disastrous HK/HT/HG Brougham from 1968 – it was meant to tackle the then-popular and profitable Fairlane.

But the first-generation Statesman never achieved its volume targets, despite the introduction of the lavishly equipped Caprice at HJ Holden facelift time (late-1974), decent dynamics with the Radial Tuned Suspension-equipped HZ (late-1977), and almost completely reskinned WB (April 1980).

Strangely, the latter’s popularity grew only after its demise, prompting Holden to try again with the VN-derived VQ Statesman (and Caprice) in early 1990.

This time, real sales headway was made, setting the scene for the third-generation, WH Statesman to finally depose the floundering AU Fairlane from 1999. It also became part of a 97,000-strong export deal through subsequent variations.

By the billion-dollar VE/WM’s introduction in August 2006, the long-wheelbase Holden only had the unexpectedly resilient Chrysler 300C as a serious rival.

But Holden’s decision to differentiate the Caprice from the dowdier Statesman with a sportier-luxury vibe back in the WK days of 2003 helped to seal the latter’s fate, as it took over the old Fairlane market (as well as disenfranchised Toyota Cressida-style buyers) as the retiree’s choice.

Old 31-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm so the Caprice is the V6 and the Caprice V is the V8 with some minor spec increases. I was expecting the Caprice V to be a new level in luxury above the existing Caprice.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think you will find that the 'new' Caprice is actually the old Statesman with some Caprice bits and the Caprice V is the V8 with all the fruit. Just a badge shuffle really. Although I reckon they should give the 'Caprice SS' a go.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also noticed no self-park sensors as seen on the Grange spy shots.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
290v
290v

Default Holden deleting Statesman from its line up

Holden Caprice V-Series Replaces Statesman
by Brad Leach - 31/08/10
As part of the new WM Series II range, Holden has deleted its historic Statesman model – replaced by the Caprice V-Series.

The ‘V-Series’ label signifies Holden’s premium lineup and the new Caprice V-Series has the luxury features demanded by Statesman buyers.

With 18-inch alloy wheels, the long wheelbase Caprice V-Series comes loaded with the upgraded Holden-iQ infotainment system (including satellite navigation and Bose audio), full Nappa leather interior, twin-screen rear DVD players and tri-zone climate control air conditioning.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought the Statesman was placed below the Caprice which was the 'top of the line' model in line with the LTD?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
I always thought the Statesman was placed below the Caprice which was the 'top of the line' model in line with the LTD?
I second that
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=caprice
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

"The ‘V-Series’ label signifies Holden’s premium lineup"

Yeah right.

I don't know if it's just me, but their "V Series" means nothing to me after they plastered it onto a bunch of el cheapo "Omega V" models to try and move base model stock. It ruined their "V" brand in my eyes.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline

Yeah right.

I don't know if it's just me, but their "V Series" means nothing to me after they plastered it onto a bunch of el cheapo "Omega V" models to try and move base model stock. It ruined their "V" brand in my eyes.
I agree.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline

Yeah right.

Same, I always wondered what was up with that.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say it will work. caprice sounds a lot better than just a statesman. the 'V' bit, does nothing for me. sounds gay! like ya talking rubbish.
Like as if i said to someone, i have a SS V

And the falcon G6E it sounds stupid to.
I would prefer it called a Fairmont any day.
If ya tell someone, i have a G6E falcon. the average aussie would not know what the hell you are talking about.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol Fairmont was nearly the death of that range, G6E has brought some life back into it, just like Caprice / Caprice V will do okay for Holden.

I like the look of the Caprice, the little wheels and ugly grill looked terrible on statesmen..

Nows the time to buy a runout VE Caprice AFM V8, 53 kay will get you a newy.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Pity HSV have completely ruined the look of one of the toughest cars around by putting that absolutely stupid looking front end on the Grange.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
WMD351
Size it up

Interesting story, a friend of mine was at a car show when the VE statesman was brand new and he said to the guy at the holden booth "So thats the new statesman hey" and the guy replied "No it's the caprice. We don't do a statesman anymore."
I kept an eye out and I didn't see a statesman badged one on the road until about 6 months after the caprice was released.
Was this in the offing for a while now?
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post