Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Default Auto vs Manual

Fi.ES.TA -- what you have said below from the other thread, I didn't want to hijack the other thread any further, but I find driving auto boring (no offence, to the auto drivers once again) but driving in manual, I find it more fun to drive :evil3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
I absolutley hate autos i just dont feel in control at all
and yes you can get very distracted and day dream with having less controls to use.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
macou

I learnt to drive in Europe and autos are not common over there at all. I much prefer manuals for small cars, but find I prefer autos for the bigger cars and suv's. My fez is manual and I agree, it is more fun in a manual, but everyone is different and each to their own I guess.
macou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by macou
I learnt to drive in Europe and autos are not common over there at all. I much prefer manuals for small cars, but find I prefer autos for the bigger cars and suv's. My fez is manual and I agree, it is more fun in a manual, but everyone is different and each to their own I guess.

I reckon, germany people didnt even care about autos : my bad. And yeah, better off in bigger cars in auto but rare to see in manual such as these Falcons, si?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Give me a manual any day of the week. Manuals you really have to drive, autos you're just along for the ride, pushing the stop & go pedals.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like manuals. The Fiesta has a decent manual, the shift could be smoother and less clunky to accept gears, and a shorter shift would be wonderful (this gets fixed in two weeks) but it just seems more logical to me to drive a manual. The Fiesta has been given a horrible combo in terms of the auto. The 1.4L isn't a bad engine, and the four-speed auto is decent also, but together they let the package down. Bring on the 6-Speed DSG mated to a Ecoboost 1.4L with awesome fuel economy! But in saying all this, when you get a great auto they truly are wonderful. Driving an FG with the ZF 6-Speed auto shames most other gear boxes. The combo of torque rich engine and smooth transmission is seemless and pure extacy for a Ford man like myself. I'd buy an auto Falcon over the manual, but it's a different story with small cars. Europe agrees with me here, as only 10% of Fiestas sold in the UK are autos. America on the other hand loves autos. Each to their own, they both have pros and cons.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Interesting discussion here, people..

Rapid Typhoon, you sure have a valid point here. No wonder Americans likes to drive in autos, perhaps New York City is too much for them in manual? :P

If I were buying Ford G6E, I'd go on auto since I test drove one to Sydney and I loved it, though does 6 speed auto is too much, no?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
BruceT

I hate small autos. You have to work them so much harder. They usually have terrible economy compared with small manuals.

On the other hand, our 3.5 litre auto magna is great despite its age. Smooth acceleration and gear changes and reasonable grunt. The magna has an adaptive box as well and learns your driving habits, so it's a joy. A realxing drive for family trips.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Mike in OZ
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
I like manuals. The Fiesta has a decent manual, the shift could be smoother and less clunky to accept gears, and a shorter shift would be wonderful (this gets fixed in two weeks) but it just seems more logical to me to drive a manual. The Fiesta has been given a horrible combo in terms of the auto. The 1.4L isn't a bad engine, and the four-speed auto is decent also, but together they let the package down. Bring on the 6-Speed DSG mated to a Ecoboost 1.4L with awesome fuel economy! But in saying all this, when you get a great auto they truly are wonderful. Driving an FG with the ZF 6-Speed auto shames most other gear boxes. The combo of torque rich engine and smooth transmission is seemless and pure extacy for a Ford man like myself. I'd buy an auto Falcon over the manual, but it's a different story with small cars. Europe agrees with me here, as only 10% of Fiestas sold in the UK are autos. America on the other hand loves autos. Each to their own, they both have pros and cons.
Rapid T, what do you mean 'this gets fixed in two weeks' is it the clunky gears or long shift to short shift?
Mike in OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in OZ
Rapid T, what do you mean 'this gets fixed in two weeks' is it the clunky gears or long shift to short shift?
Hmmm, these geat shifts are already short shifted? :dunno:
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Keyan
Starter Motor

I suspect that the 1.6L engine just can't fit in with auto trans. I really don't think 1.4L engine is that cheaper to build compare with 1.6L.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Plus cars with auto tranny are more expensive than the manual.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in OZ
Sorry, that was a bit vague. I'm getting a short-throw shifter (same transmission) to make things a little bit keener.

As for the auto debate. Ford Europe only have an auto calibrated with 1.4L. There is no other auto in the lineup. That is until Ford US finish their ECOboost 1.4L/1.6L engine with 6-Speed DSG auto. We should see a decent combo around 2010/11 when the Fiesta gets its facelift.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Mike in OZ
Starter Motor

Quote:
Sorry, that was a bit vague. I'm getting a short-throw shifter (same transmission) to make things a little bit keener.

As for the auto debate. Ford Europe only have an auto calibrated with 1.4L. There is no other auto in the lineup. That is until Ford US finish their ECOboost 1.4L/1.6L engine with 6-Speed DSG auto. We should see a decent combo around 2010/11 when the Fiesta gets its facelift.
Rapid T, can you provide some details on the short throw shifter - are you fitting it yourself, if not who is doing it?
Mike in OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke_Fiesta
Fi.ES.TA -- what you have said below from the other thread, I didn't want to hijack the other thread any further, but I find driving auto boring (no offence, to the auto drivers once again) but driving in manual, I find it more fun to drive :evil3:
Too true, I was originally looking for a manual BA Falcon, but they were around the $18,000 mark compared to the autos at like $13K, plus trying to find one is impossible. So I walked into Ford and bought a new manual CL Fiesta.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Never really driven an auto. Except DSG Golf GTI and GT Diesel :evil3:
They are the only autos i think i would enjoy, as they're like manuals virtually anyway... but you still don't have to manually shift the gear-stick i guess.

learnt to drive in first a 68' beetle, then a gen-IV 2.0L golf, that had the easiest manual change in world, and there's something to be said by learning to drive manual, i reckon you learn more about traffic flow, how to get out of situations etc... but each to their own of course, i happened to be lucky that the golf manual was a dream to use, and i realise driving manual for some people is a little hairy.

It depends on the person, but i think if you want to drive small cars properly (i.e. keenly), you need a manual hands down...

:eclipsee_

I knew there was a perfect thread for that icon!!!
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Too true, I was originally looking for a manual BA Falcon, but they were around the $18,000 mark compared to the autos at like $13K, plus trying to find one is impossible. So I walked into Ford and bought a new manual CL Fiesta.
Happy with that, yes?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
doctamick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan
I suspect that the 1.6L engine just can't fit in with auto trans. I really don't think 1.4L engine is that cheaper to build compare with 1.6L.
I think that the 1.4L was used for the auto in an attempt to reduce the carbon emissions. In Europe, the cars are taxed based on their carbon emissions, hence the smaller engine. A 1.6L auto possibly would have pushed the car into an unsatisfactory tax bracket (compared to the 1.6L manual).
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Keyan
Starter Motor

doctamick, it dose make a sense if it relates with carbon emission. That's quite possilbe.
But I really doubt the if "1.6L auto" consume significantly more fuel than this 1.4L auto to make any tax difference, as the load on this 1.4L engine is much higher than 1.6 (less power/torque, need to work harder).
Like Yaris, the fuel consumption difference between 1.3L and 1.5L is only 0.1L/100km.
I don't know whether it is engineering issue or Euro emssion legislation, it is just my guess.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Happy with that, yes?
I'm still on my Ls (turning 18 on the 13th) so I've only driven it about 500km, it wasn't exactly what I was after but my parents wanted me to buy it and having the approval of your parents is always good. I'm getting rid of it after I get off my Ps for something much more powerful, looking at restoring a car over the next 4 years, looking at something with 400Kw+, maybe not so much but something still fairly powerful. I'm using the money I'm going to be saving on fuel from something like a Falcon getting to and from work, to put towards the restoration. Probably going to pick up another job too once I finish school.

I had been working over the last 3 years to afford a new car.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-09-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one in Europe buys Auto small cars, and if they do they are stung by high taxes as Auto small cars consume more fuel putting them in a higher tax bracket. But simply, no need to make an Auto on every engine when it won't sell.

Like Ive said many times, we have to wait for the Americans who are making a 6-Speed DSG. Europe may not like small Auto cars, but the Americans will lap them up. We will get this around 2011/12.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #21
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
I'm still on my Ls (turning 18 on the 13th) so I've only driven it about 500km, it wasn't exactly what I was after but my parents wanted me to buy it and having the approval of your parents is always good. I'm getting rid of it after I get off my Ps for something much more powerful, looking at restoring a car over the next 4 years, looking at something with 400Kw+, maybe not so much but something still fairly powerful. I'm using the money I'm going to be saving on fuel from something like a Falcon getting to and from work, to put towards the restoration. Probably going to pick up another job too once I finish school.

I had been working over the last 3 years to afford a new car.
So you said that you have a fiesta CL or something? Why get rid of it in the near future? Since it is fuel efficent!!! At the least, Im sure you'd be attched in no time :P
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
So you said that you have a fiesta CL or something? Why get rid of it in the near future? Since it is fuel efficent!!! At the least, Im sure you'd be attched in no time :P
I don't really enjoy the car, its too slow/small for my tastes and wasn't really worth my hard earned $18,000 I reckon. I'm still going to take it to the calder/heathcote drags though. I did have a bit of fun taking it up mount macedon though.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll grow to like it. In saying that, although I copped crap for buying a near new WP Fiesta Zetec for my first car it was a great car that I liked. Everyone thought it was a waste of money, should have gotten a crapbox bla bla bla. But my car was reliable, fuel efficient and a hoot to drive. But most of all it was what I wanted, within budget and I loved it. I guess the rule here is buy what you truly want, not what your parents want. As long as it's somewhat reasonable and not a stupid purchace, like getting an XR6 Turbo for your first car, not being able to pay the fuel bill let alone the repayments, and wrapping it around a tree! And because you were so broke you didn't get insurance! True story (not me).

Bit late to mention the first bit though hey?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think you'll grow to like it. In saying that, although I copped crap for buying a near new WP Fiesta Zetec for my first car it was a great car that I liked. Everyone thought it was a waste of money, should have gotten a crapbox bla bla bla. But my car was reliable, fuel efficient and a hoot to drive. But most of all it was what I wanted, within budget and I loved it. I guess the rule here is buy what you truly want, not what your parents want. As long as it's somewhat reasonable and not a stupid purchace, like getting an XR6 Turbo for your first car, not being able to pay the fuel bill let alone the repayments, and wrapping it around a tree! And because you were so broke you didn't get insurance! True story (not me).

Bit late to mention the first bit though hey?
I still haven't heard the end of it, my Purple Fiesta gets me a bit of grief from every man and his dog haha. I'll be parking right next to assorted Falcons/Commodores at school soon.... I might as well as be wearing a pink skivvy, a scarfe, tight black skinny jeans, talk with a lisp and talk about the key swapping club I was at last night.

I was looking at manual BA Falcons, then this nice EL XR6, nothing too powerful, one stage a JZA80 Toyota Supra or a 1996 Nissan 300ZX but the insurance was a fair bit too high for me, I can't afford $3500 a year for comp insurance. The thing is, getting a car you don't want means you wont respect it, even if you spent your own hard earned on it, which ultimately means you're going to be doing stupid things in it. I predict that I'll be selling this thing, shorter than my P plate period and taking a nice punch to the face on depreciation.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I still haven't heard the end of it, my Purple Fiesta gets me a bit of grief from every man and his dog haha. I'll be parking right next to assorted Falcons/Commodores at school soon....
Just to clarify I was meaning more I got grief for spending over $10,000 on a car when most were buying $500 cars.

Quote:
I might as well as be wearing a pink skivvy, a scarfe, tight black skinny jeans, talk with a lisp and talk about the key swapping club I was at last night.
My mates drive cars that shame my Zetec performance wise. A FPV Tornado ute, Commodore SV6, WRX STI, a pimped out Subaru Liberty. I cop so much crap for driving a 'hairdresser car' but they're my mates, that what we do and they respect and like my car. If you need a car that either blends in with the crowd or upstages everyone, and feel weird driving your Fiesta, WTF did you buy one, let alone a purple one? When I park my Zetec next to my mates cars, or any other car (parked next to a black Hummer yesterday) I stand tall because I don't need a car that weighs ten ton and is the size of a boat to feel like a man. I'm betting the Hummer driver needed to impress the ladies somehow and was lacking elsewhere!!! :evil3: :evil3:

Quote:
I was looking at manual BA Falcons, then this nice EL XR6, nothing too powerful, one stage a JZA80 Toyota Supra or a 1996 Nissan 300ZX but the insurance was a fair bit too high for me, I can't afford $3500 a year for comp insurance. The thing is, getting a car you don't want means you wont respect it, even if you spent your own hard earned on it, which ultimately means you're going to be doing stupid things in it. I predict that I'll be selling this thing, shorter than my P plate period and taking a nice punch to the face on depreciation.
I'm so lost? You bought a Fiesta, a purple one, knowing you'd need a hoon-car to feel good about yourself and your car, only to sell your brand new car, and cut your losses?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #26
Fi.ES.TA

I am also stunned why you would buy a car that you clearly hate
and cant wait to be shut of.The mind boggles.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

To shut my parents up, they're always on my back about getting a new car, they wouldn't drive me to dealerships or private sellers who were happy for me to check out the cars they had.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish i'd brought the cheap but good little car, and kept it for a few years, when I look back to when I was younger. Coulda brought a new SS or XR8 easily with the money i'd have saved a few years later. (ie $2500 a year insurance, 10-15k mods like engine, suspension, stereo, mags etc etc)

You cant tell em though...

He'll have to learn the hard way like most of us did.

So hurry up and sell it dude, so you can put your cash into a money pit. Been there done that.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #29
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends. Buying a $3000 car can work for you and against you. I spent $15000 on my WP Zetec which is a load (to me anyway) for a 17 year old. But in saying that I worked my freaking *** of to pay it off (had a $7000 deposit saved) and it was reliable, cheap to run and insure. Not to mention safe, I'm a massive supporter of ABS brakes which I would not have had on the other cars I looked at. In the time most my mates were onto their third or fifth I still had my WP, that was paid off.

Everyones different I suppose. You just gotta have your mind set on the bigger plan and not just a few months. That and prepair