Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Leaking Radiator

I bought a new radiator a few months back and through my own stupidity managed to puncture one of the side tanks. I brought it to a local rad place and the guy patched it up, but it's leaking again now. I have 2 options available to me right now.

1. Have the side tank repaired - I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was $70 odd.

2. Buy a new radiator.

Obviously I'd much rather save the cash and have a new tank put on it, but if it's just going to start leaking again, would I be better off just buying a new one and being more careful with it this time and possibly selling the damaged one?

I'm looking your way Blueprint
Everyone's input is welcome.

Thanks for your input.

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I bought a new radiator a few months back and through my own stupidity managed to puncture one of the side tanks. I brought it to a local rad place and the guy patched it up, but it's leaking again now. I have 2 options available to me right now.

1. Have the side tank repaired - I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was $70 odd.

2. Buy a new radiator.

Obviously I'd much rather save the cash and have a new tank put on it, but if it's just going to start leaking again, would I be better off just buying a new one and being more careful with it this time and possibly selling the damaged one?

I'm looking your way Blueprint
Everyone's input is welcome.

Thanks for your input.
plastic or metal tank ?
one can be soldered and the other glued with high temp epoxy but in the mean time drop a raw egg in a cold radiator and go for a drive of at lease 20 minutes.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're plastic tanks on the side. If it's gonna just be glued in, what are the chances of it holding up better than the patch job that was already done?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i had my ea, i had a similar problem, except the tank had basically worn out lol....anyway, i took it to natrad and they pulled the old tank off, flushed it and put a new one on, i think it was about $60 but that was a few years ago now, so it should be possible, good as new afterwards
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If you want to patch it yourself use JB weld. http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
not cheap but it is the next best thing to getting a new tank or radiator (which I would recommend you do).
Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Forget the bloody glues and plastic welding, none work and i should know... tried everything on the market with all failing in service... plastic welding will not work due to the material type, Polymide 54 from memory... it has Fibreglass through it, and has such a high melting range, it can burn before it melts... i am also a plastic fabricator, so i've tried...

Get a replacement tank, but go the ADRAD way...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What sort of price am I looking at for a new tank? I think I was told about $70 the first time but can't remember exactly.

What are the chances of the new tank failing? Is it just as strong as the old or will the seam where it meets the radiator be weaker and prone to leaks?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
What sort of price am I looking at for a new tank? I think I was told about $70 the first time but can't remember exactly.

What are the chances of the new tank failing? Is it just as strong as the old or will the seam where it meets the radiator be weaker and prone to leaks?

Thanks.
Depends the core type... if it has tabbed headers and its aluminium, then it has a higher chance of failing in the not to distant future... coper tabs are stronger than alloy... but copper heards with a seperate stainless tabbing grips are the strongest all round and will not fail easily.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its an ADRAD copper core, which of the types you mentioned is it more likely to be?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Well its an ADRAD copper core, which of the types you mentioned is it more likely to be?
Well if memory serves me right... should be the tabbed header... it wont let you down mate.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that blueprint. You're a legend. I'll take it down to the local adrad place this week. Does $70 sound about right to you?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

To be honest, its pretty cheap... normally around the $140 from us, but thats a full service, 2 new seals, complelty cleaned and repainted...
Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this radiator is only about 3 months old. Does that make a difference? Like I said, I can't remember the amount I was quoted.

If it's going to be $140, I'll probably just pick up a new one for $220...

EDIT: I'm guessing that price would include you having to pull the radiator from the car? If so, I'd be doing that part myself, so all that would have to be done is replace the tank.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Just remember 1 thing... we are in the bush, freight is a killer...

If its only 3 months, then i'd do it cheaper... i'd look at around that price for only a tank change and external cleaning.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

70 or 140 ?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Well if memory serves me right... should be the tabbed header... it wont let you down mate.
Spot on there they usually have a 2 piece grip plate as well but adrad is the way to go from my experience.. Where abouts are you maybe i can help you out as i work as a radiator repairer in the essendon area..

Last edited by FC-351; 10-03-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: incorrect info
VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the south east. Essendon is a bit of a hike. I don't know if I'd be able to get anyone willing to give me a lift all the way there. What sort of prices am I looking at if I brought the car down there (not just the radiator)?

Last edited by JMO; 10-03-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
VIBEBA
huh???

i cant remember off the top of my head but i can look into it and get back to you ill also get a price on a new tank if you are interested i may be also able to come and fit it myself..

VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #19
sooty43

You can purchase a brand new AU6 radiator in moorabin for $130. cash. PM me for the details.
sooty43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooty43
You can purchase a brand new AU6 radiator in moorabin for $130. cash. PM me for the details.
What sort is it?... if its not ADRAD, then it simply wont last...
Old 13-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm bringing the radiator down to the NATRAD place tomorrow. Some of the transmission fluid leaked out of it, a few hundred mils. Am I going to have to top it up or is it nothing to worry about? It wasn't a problem last time as I got a service done on the transmission a few days later.

If I do have to refill it, what type of fluid am I going to need and how do I get it in?
Old 13-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Good to hear you are taking to a proper place radiator place :P as for the fluid... just match what was put into it at last service and ask them how to top it up :P
Old 13-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will the amount lost be a problem? Is it alright to mix different brands of fluid? I could give the trans place a call but they'd probably tell me to bring it in and charge me for it :(
Old 13-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Will the amount lost be a problem? Is it alright to mix different brands of fluid? I could give the trans place a call but they'd probably tell me to bring it in and charge me for it :(
I've always mixed and never had 1 issue... and i've been owning and driving cars for over 8 years... :P
Old 13-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #25
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What type does it take normally? Did a search and it says TQ95 or 95LE. Which should I buy and is it alright if the two are mixed?

I also read that the tranny is sealed because people were putting Dextron III in there. If the trans place was to have put that stuff in, is it still alright to mix?