Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
AUutility
Starter Motor

Default Misfire on Cylinders 1 & 6 in AUlll

My AUIII ute has dropped cylinders 1 & 6, I have replaced coil pack, plug leads and tried new plugs, still the same, no spark getting to 1&6 leads, I am now thinking it is the electrical lead that plugs into the side of the coil pack which has the negative primary connections for 1 & 6 on one conector, how do I check that lead, am I on the right track? It was was running fine around the time the problem suddenly started but did mysteriously appear to have lost some coolant no warning lights and seems to be holding coolant since and everything else appears fine, albeit running on 4 cylinders.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Andy

Last edited by AUutility; 17-12-2011 at 10:39 AM.
AUutility is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Misfire on Cylinders 1 & 6 in AUlll

1 and 6 would be using the same part of the coil to fire (both reach TDC at same time, wasted spark system, one big coil pack with 6 terminals) so if its both of them I'd say you're probably on the right track- coil, module (if it has it- not sure on the AU), wiring and I suppose ECU would be the order I'd check them in.

I'm sure others with more experience will have further input.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one thing i`m thinking , the leads on the coil pack end can be a little fiddly to get them on properly, it might be worth double checking they are connected properly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
one thing i`m thinking , the leads on the coil pack end can be a little fiddly to get them on properly, it might be worth double checking they are connected properly.
If he's replaced the coil pack the leads probably would have been fitted out of the car anyway? When I replaced mine I made sure I pushed the lead connectors down hard (coil pack resting on the ground) while the pack was out of the engine bay, then gave them another grip from underneath once it was mounted.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe, but he does`nt say that he changed them at the same time, if he was fault finding he may have bought one or the other first then tried another item when the first failed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
AUutility
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will go back and check the leads on the coil pack again. The leads were fitted with the new coil out of the car so fairly sure we got a good fit but worth checking again. I'm thinking it is something more deep seated in the electrical system, perhaps ECU, sensor or faulty connection somewhere in the wiring loom that carries the 4 pin plug to the side of the coil, one of those pins carries the negative primary connection for 1 & 6? Next stop maybe a trip to the local ford dealer to plug into analyser.
AUutility is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post