Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default I need some help here

Hi everyone

I'm having a bit a dilema in my life at the moment, I know it's a bit personal to be publicly posting on the forums but i'm hoping there are others out there who can offer suggestions.

I've got a big issue with my social life......it's non existent.

I'm 25 years of age and wound up with no friends what so ever. Through my school years I had a few mates, but they always seemed to want to know me only for what I could do for them. I was always the one who would chase them......rarely would i get a call from them, that sort of thing. So over the years i've broken contact with them because i'm tired of being used.

Nowdays all my life consists of is work....then home, and I really hate it.

My working environment doesn't allow me to mix with other people much and if I do they're not in my age bracket. Changing jobs is not really an option as it's my own business & i've got commitments.

This has made meeting women really tough as well. I'm at the stage now where I don't know where to turn. My family doesn't seem to be interested in helping out so i'm hoping some people here may have some suggestions for me.

Most people have a group of mates that do things together, i've never really had that and it seems the older I get the less oportunites I have. Doing everything on your own all the time really sux.

I'm looking for a new avenue to meet new people, and start enjoying myself, because i'm damn sick of my own company.

Cheers.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hmmm I hear ya.

Perhaps join a few clubs, hell your a ford driver right?? im sure there is a club for your model of car.

Go out to your local on a regular basis, have a meal and a beer or 2 and just start talking. Line up a few guys / gals for a game of pool etc and get chatting.

Perhaps do some charity work? Like going out into the city feeding ppl from a van?? this is free, you meet people (often youngins like you) and it gives you something to do that makes you feel good and costs nix.

If you want a special lass in your life, go speed dating. If you want to travel, there are heaps of companies that cater for singles or certain age groups etc.

Invite the neighbours over for a bbq?

Hope this helps.. this is just off the top of my head.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Yeah mate, i was in a similar boat, moved away after school but made heaps of job related friends, but when i moved back to the sunny coast all my friends had done the same, moved on...

But i found joining car clubs the best way to meet people.

Hell, even go do some courses at tafe! i have so many course related friends its not funny!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
Hi everyone

I'm having a bit a dilema in my life at the moment, I know it's a bit personal to be publicly posting on the forums but i'm hoping there are others out there who can offer suggestions.

I've got a big issue with my social life......it's non existent.

I'm 25 years of age and wound up with no friends what so ever. Through my school years I had a few mates, but they always seemed to want to know me only for what I could do for them. I was always the one who would chase them......rarely would i get a call from them, that sort of thing. So over the years i've broken contact with them because i'm tired of being used.

Nowdays all my life consists of is work....then home, and I really hate it.

My working environment doesn't allow me to mix with other people much and if I do they're not in my age bracket. Changing jobs is not really an option as it's my own business & i've got commitments.

This has made meeting women really tough as well. I'm at the stage now where I don't know where to turn. My family doesn't seem to be interested in helping out so i'm hoping some people here may have some suggestions for me.

Most people have a group of mates that do things together, i've never really had that and it seems the older I get the less oportunites I have. Doing everything on your own all the time really sux.

I'm looking for a new avenue to meet new people, and start enjoying myself, because i'm damn sick of my own company.

Cheers.
Woah this is my social life in a nutshell.

Did you hang in multiple groups in school? Or just good friends with someone from a different group?
If so contact one of your old mates from those other groups.

Just to catch up or something and see if they're the type of person you wish to hang around with.

If you don't have any contacts from the past then find a hobby. join a club involving that hobby and you'll fit right in with those people.

I'm only 18 and am seriously considering going back to my other group of friends. I took up guitar years back and have met a hell of a lot of people just through that.

If your musically minded start a band (even if you've never touched an instrument it's never too late). Then start gigging, you won't believe how many people you'll meet and best of all they'll respect you.

(One of my mates got sick of the same group I'm sick of and is now playing bass in a band and has many connections). Music really is an amazing way to meet new people.

WHATEVER you do don't go back to this group of yours.
It hurts but the truth is they don't respect you and people like that almost always never will.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Mate... i understand this...

For me, i got heavily depressed and suicidal... but i worked myself back out of it... and i am the same age as you...

Although you cannot do this, it worked for me... i had to leave my old job and move away... far away... like 6 hours south lol!

Once here (start of the year) i pulled my finger out and have started doing things to improve myself. I am a local at a particular pub and they know my drink of choice (water)... i am becoming the Scout Leader in town (old one has to resign due to work)... I am also a CAMS Trainee Racing Official...

You are in Sydney... the amount of things Sydney can offer far out weighs what is on offer in Bathurst, yet i can manage to find them...

Your biggest hurdle might be the same as mine... inwhich you dont want to try and meet people by yourself, you feel more comfortable in a group, instead of being alone and people follow you. You need to over come this... i did and i am much stronger because of it... i have people wanting to know me for good reasons and who are wanting to help me out...

PM me if you wanna chat some more mate.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Come sit on uncle bastards knee, and he will make it all better.

Now, your friends, are idiots. Murder them all, place them in a large box, and ship it to Barrack Obama with postage due.

Who cares if your work mates are older, some of us old people are cool. Old people also have daughters. If you aren't familiar with how procreation works, you have scant little need of friends, or women.

Try masturbation. Its usually less disappointing, and your hand never demands that you share your feelings with it.

There. All Fixed. Go play in the traffic, theres a good lad.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

start smoking. with the new smoking laws you have to go outside to smoke & you can talk to all the other people in the same boat. offer a ciggie to someone who looks like they know a good time and the next thing you know you're the life of the party
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
start smoking. with the new smoking laws you have to go outside to smoke & you can talk to all the other people in the same boat. offer a ciggie to someone who looks like they know a good time and the next thing you know you're the life of the party
I like it! Mr and Mrs Intensive Care 2008!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

There's a simple 2 step program to making friends:
Step 1:
Turn the computer off
Step 2:
Go somewhere that isn't near your computer.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

If you are wanting to meet people and make friends...why not go on an AFF cruise. Users post up cruises all the time. It is a great way to meet like minded people.
I have met some brilliant people off the Forum.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
orsm8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Buddy, The main thing i have learned about women is that they like to talk but also like a man to talk to them about things that interest them. My experience is that you ask the what they like to do after work, Ask about her family and listen to what they say. Most women want somebody who will listen understand but share some time with them. I have a number of male friends but most of my friends are women. Most guys can be scared of women the best thing is not to be scared of the and lastly respect them. Most guys meet the opposite sex through work or other activities. Good luck
orsm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Bollocks! All you have met is the AFF Cadre of frauds, suckholes, ricers, cavemen and the mentally infirm. Dont deny it, you cant change the laws of the internet.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

You are correct Mr Bastard...and they are all really secret Barina drivers...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

I'm with Blueprint - I found a big hole and often find myself slipping back into it again. We have to climb out, we have to see the light, and as we control everything around us (What the Bleep - Down the Rabbit Hole, funny name serious documentary you must watch it) we have to get ourselves into the right frame of mind.

The cold truth is, the older and uglier we get the less oppurtunities we receive. The girls you remember winking at you in school are all married now, so you're dead right to notice you're getting a lot less attention than you used to. This - is - normal.

Its also important to point out - that the busiest city, with the most people and action going on around you, are the loneliest places to be when you're on your own. You could find new mates in Bathurst, run into some fellas at the pub etc.; whereas in Sydney you'll see groups of people enjoying themselves and feel even more alone.

Now who's in the box to Obama with postage due?

Look, just listen to everything Sourbastard says, define your personaility and work out exactly who you are, then go along to car meets and take yourself along to things YOU want to do, and you'll find other non-desperados doing the same thing and welcoming you in. Its pretty simple really. Now Uncle Bastard, panda style this time?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
There's a simple 2 step program to making friends:
Step 1:
Turn the computer off
Step 2:
Go somewhere that isn't near your computer.
best answer yet..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
If you are wanting to meet people and make friends...why not go on an AFF cruise. Users post up cruises all the time. It is a great way to meet like minded people.
Geez louise is spot on there champ
i need to meet more people to : a lot more women hell yea!(dont tell the wife)sorry i got of track thinking of women ,geez louise is right
cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
Geez louise is spot on there champ
i need to meet more people to : a lot more women hell yea!(dont tell the wife)sorry i got of track thinking of women ,geez louise is right
cheers pat
you met me at a servo. Is your life enriched yet?

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go join a footy club a mingle with the guys after traings and after games

but dont join a soccer club thats gay
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
you met me at a servo. Is your life enriched yet?
Mine was after meeting you, every one has a "special friend" .
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
You could find new mates in Bathurst, run into some fellas at the pub etc.; whereas in Sydney you'll see groups of people enjoying themselves and feel even more alone.
Mates yes... friends... well there is only 1 that i can a proper friend... I am yet to actually have any local friends come around, or hang out with them on a regular basis... i also know it takes time...

How about this for a gain from simply getting out there and talking to older people.... I started talking to an older guy when i first started visiting my local... i know his wife and kids (kidsare older than me).... he old guy has offered to help me out next time there is an AFF cruise to bathurst by opening up the back and front of the pits, plus open up the back road for us... and even to get the track closed for half an hour for photo opps on the grid!... and on top of that... he wants to give me his spare pass to the 1000 this year and get me up into the control tower at to watch the fire works (also wants me to bring a friend)... All that because i was polite to him and always enjoy'd a laugh with them... they are really misunderstood people, but once you get to know them and show them respect, they respect you in return and are always happy to share their time with you...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Mine was after meeting you, every one has a "special friend" .
That was different. We had Sexy Time©

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
That was different. We had Sexy Time©

Really ?
I wondered what that smell was...chloroform..... :
Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #23
Duke
The Duke

Bastard, you crack me up.

Au2Falcon - there's plenty of good replies above, I think most of us have been where you are. The fact is, it'll pass, things will change in time. But if you can't wait for change to come to you, - then make things different. Change some of your habits, get out and about and let people get to know you.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #24
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

AU2Falcons mate, I feel like I'm in a similar situation, All the mates are married or nearly married (we're all 25) and i have wasted a lot of time chasing a girl who i could never have but thought i could. OK maybe 'have' isn't the best word to describe it but you get the idea....Can get one down sometimes...
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Nothing wrong with making older friends. I'm 20 and all my friends are 30+...gained them through work. And I dare say, I much prefer the company of older folks. More down to earth, etc etc.

You'll be right mate, there are far worse things in the world. Go down to your local, get some dutch courage into ya and meet some people!

I think the best start would be an AFF cruise!!

EDIT:

And women, you don't want them. They'll drag you down further...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #26
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Nothing wrong with making older friends. I'm 20 and all my friends are 30+...gained them through work. And I dare say, I much prefer the company of older folks. More down to earth, etc etc.

You'll be right mate, there are far worse things in the world. Go down to your local, get some dutch courage into ya and meet some people!

I think the best start would be an AFF cruise!!

EDIT:

And women, you don't want them. They'll drag you down further...

Well said except for the last part, when you meet the right one you will know why. ;)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #27
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Well said except for the last part, when you meet the right one you will know why. ;)
At the risk of going off topic here....After every girlfriend I've ever had cheating on me, I don't have much of a reason to believe otherwise.

Another way, as lame as it may seem...is something like myspace...I've met good people on there...Just don't put too much stock into a networking website...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #28
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Come sit on uncle bastards knee, and he will make it all better.

Now, your friends, are idiots. Murder them all, place them in a large box, and ship it to Barrack Obama with postage due.

Who cares if your work mates are older, some of us old people are cool. Old people also have daughters. If you aren't familiar with how procreation works, you have scant little need of friends, or women.

Try masturbation. Its usually less disappointing, and your hand never demands that you share your feelings with it.

There. All Fixed. Go play in the traffic, theres a good lad.
I'm sorry but every one of your posts is awesome.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #29
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
... and even to get the track closed for half an hour for photo opps on the grid!...
There's no denying old people clearly suck, their deaths being more frequent than hours blatant proof alone; however they tend to suck a little less if you can milk a pub, secret burlesque, or private Bathurst track session out of them. Are you with me people?

Back to serious input - start to enjoy your own company. Might sound wierd, but Saturday night with a couple of work mates for a friend of mine in Canberra is the loneliest night of the week for him; but the same night online or just watching telly on my own here in Adelaide isn't a big depressing hole in my life anymore. Infact, these days I don't proactively go out - I get dragged out, (and soak up every bit of it) - but I'm not sad if my buddies are having a quiet one.
Old 13-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #30
Campo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I'm sorry but every one of your posts is awesome.
And why are you sorry about that?
Campo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post