Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
akluck87
Starter Motor

Default manual driving test tommorow 10:25am

Hey mates, I am going for my manuals tommorow, and I need a few pointers to help me remember.

1. when stopped at traffic lights, should I keep the revs up and friction point on before take off?

2. how do you do a reverse park?

the reason i am asking is because I want to actually do good in the test, I have aced the clutch and everything, but I need to know the finer points. please send all replys preferably before 8am tommorow. Thanks guys, have a good one. andrew.

akluck87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluck87
Hey mates, I am going for my manuals tommorow, and I need a few pointers to help me remember.

1. when stopped at traffic lights, should I keep the revs up and friction point on before take off?

the reason i am asking is because I want to actually do good in the test, I have aced the clutch and everything, but I need to know the finer points. please send all replys preferably before 8am tommorow. Thanks guys, have a good one. andrew.
Do not balance on the clutch use the handbrake even when starting on a slight incline DO NOT roll back 1" bring it up to the friction point and release the handbrake As for a reverse park I can not put it into writing it just comes second nature to me I do it all the time and I don't think about it
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
rodderz

By your point in no. 1, do you mean riding the clutch? If so, no. It puts un-needed pressure on it and decreases the life of it, it's a bad habit to get into.

When I went for mine the thing was to always do a handbrake start, not sure if they still make you do that.

As for reverse parking, if you havent learnt yet best you get the olds to take you out for some practise before tomorrow. You most likely will have to do it, or a parellel park and they can be strict.

Always use ALL your mirrors, it'll make life easier for you and everyone else. It's a lot easier to line yourself up using them rather than twisting yourself all over the joint trying to see where you're reversing
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

1. Since your starting out, you usually bring the revs up first (to 1400-2000rpm depending on car) and then bring the clutch out to friction point. As you get more experience, you'll be able to bring the clutch up to friction point and add revs almost simulatenously, but this comes naturally with time so don't try to do it on the day of your test.
2. Just as you would in an auto. Pull up to the car alongside, put it in reverse and slowly release the clutch to friction point to get you going. Use the gas if the engine needs more revs (i.e. My Fiesta will shudder if I don't add gas, however a Falcon would generally have enough torque so that this doesn't happen). Also push the clutch in all the way if you need to slow down/control acceleration and never fully release the clutch!!! In reverse parking, I only need to use the brakes when I come to a complete stop, otherwise the car will slow itself when you push the clutch in.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you already have your P's and have done the driving test on auto only. Don't forget to think and drive like an L Plater when you go to do the test. Two hands on the wheel, stay under the speed limit, indicate for 5 seconds prior to changing lane or leaving the curb, always check your blindspots, always look out the back window when reversing and don't put your arm around the passenger seat to look out the back.

I did my manual driving test a couple months after doing my autos and I passed both first go. Surprisingly, they didn't make me do a hillstart but I had practiced my handbrake starts on the steepest hill of the area prior to the test anyway. Also, if you're quick enough you can learn to move off without using the handbrake and only rolling back 1cm (don't do this in the test though, it's just for convenience! :P). They don't expect you to use the handbrake when moving off from a start on a normal road, unless the road is at a decent incline or you feel comfortable doing it that way. The only thing the testing officer mentioned to me was to engine brake by downshifting to 2nd when slowing down instead of just putting it in Neutral and coasting once the revs dropped below 1000rpm. And I've been doing that ever since.

Good Luck
Old 19-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OH NO not another one being taught to get a license and not how to drive!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

you're asking how to do a reverse park and you've got your test tomorrow morning?

riiiiiiiiight........
Old 19-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

I think he means pointers on reverse parking, not how to reverse park.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should have practiced reverse parks before your test.. :

Shouldn't your driving instructor have told you about those points? Mine told me to always hand brake and never ride the clutch and we went through reverse parks/parallel parks from the first lesson. Has your instructor told you you're ready?
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluck87

#1. Take the revs up to the redline (6500 is a good starting point) then pop the clutch, works a treat.

#2. At appx 60kmh approach parking space from the wrong way, flick steering wheel whilst at the same time pulling on the handbrake. If all goes well you should do a neat 360 into the space.

On a lighter note, your asking 12hrs before a driving test how to do this?...

Gimmie a break!
Old 20-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how did u go ? u pass?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post