Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default VoIP

hi guys. I'm with adam internet who have just released their VoIP option. 12c for untimed calls local and national and $5/mnth.

now this thread is not really about who does the best deals as i'm happy with adams service till now. what i want to hear from is those who use this as their means of telecommunication. Is there a way you can avoid line rental as well. the way i see it is telstra still get a large slice of the pie due to line rental. I realise optus can save me that apparently but thats not VoIP. I'm purely asking about voip in this thread.

either way its still cheaper than what i'm currently paying. the issue i have is a few dropouts. how does voip work. obviously i'd need to buy a voip phone. I've rung adam on numerous occasions when my ppp light goes out and they claim its not them so i may need a new modem as well (billion 5102s) or get my plug looked at.

who uses it and whats your opinion? Do you pay line rental?

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
hi guys. I'm with adam internet who have just released their VoIP option. 12c for untimed calls local and national and $5/mnth.

now this thread is not really about who does the best deals as i'm happy with adams service till now. what i want to hear from is those who use this as their means of telecommunication. Is there a way you can avoid line rental as well. the way i see it is telstra still get a large slice of the pie due to line rental. I realise optus can save me that apparently but thats not VoIP. I'm purely asking about voip in this thread.

either way its still cheaper than what i'm currently paying. the issue i have is a few dropouts. how does voip work. obviously i'd need to buy a voip phone. I've rung adam on numerous occasions when my ppp light goes out and they claim its not them so i may need a new modem as well (billion 5102s) or get my plug looked at.

Got Foxtel?

If so, internet can be accessed through Foxtel, eliminating the need for a telephone line.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Well if you are on adsl you still need a phone line, so you won't escape line rental. If you are on cable you can toss your phone line.
As to the quality it depends on the link you have, and most importantly on the type of hardware (ATA, router etc) that you have. The recommended minimum is 256k however If you have less than 512k you will at times get drop outs. The voice quality really depends on the provider you use.
I have tried engin, freshtell, and mynetphone and found them all to be very similar, have also tried a few others which were not so good. (rather not name the bad ones publicly, don't want anything coming back on this site).
As for the savings it depends on how many phone calls you make. Don't forget to add the $5/month, that's about 20 calls at normal rates plus the cost of any hardware you purchase.
In my case I was making a lot of interstate calls at one time and my phone bill dropped from $350.00 per quarter to less than $25 per month ($75 per quarter). A huge drop.
a couple of good sites to get you started are here:
http://www.voipchoice.com.au/
and here:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ go to the forums section and look for voice over IP.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
kremmen

Yep optus cable is good for it.

I have voip with IINET. It is pretty good, much cheaper than normal. telstra has a budget home phone line for 18bux or thereabouts. This also gives u a phoneline if ur internet dies.
Old 16-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

i'm on adsl2+ so speed shouldn't be a problem. my brother has it with internode and he raves about it. i wouldn't even have considered it except that i got an email from adam today telling me they now have it so i thought i'd ask around. cheers guys.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Well if you are on adsl you still need a phone line, so you won't escape line rental.
Stand by

The Bare facts about 'Naked DSL'

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
That's really interesting.
I'm currently on Optus cable and was looking into using VoIP until we bought a new house last month. Unfortunately Optus cable isn't available at the new place so this may be another option.