Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 24-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #61
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
For every Kiwi that comes over here the I.Q goes up in both countries...Lol....
haha lol!!!!!!!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #62
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_KiWi
Maybe when people run 9's and 10's they will understand, Calder Park and Heathcote are for anyone 9sec VL's or 22sec Lasers. spool or no spool, VL's spooling are like 14sec BA's doing massive burnouts on street tyres.

: :eclipsee_
We might be doing massive burnouts on street tyres but at least we have our pride
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #63
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

I love you all. especially Chris,

Simon
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #64
Chris
AFF.com.au

see you tonight garden gnome :
Old 26-06-2005, 02:36 AM   #65
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Infact don't even do a burnout just stage for f*ck sake....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #66
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I agree that on a busy night that staging for 6-10 second only wastes time when people are trying to get more than 2 runs in. At Willowbank on Wed the 22nd this month I only just got in a 3rd run for the night. It takes me around 2 1/2 hours to get to the track if traffics good. If it's not a busy night then fine stage for 10 seconds. But if it's a packed night run it to the lights!

Yes i saw that VL. On one run he staged, stuffed the start, put his foot on the brake again and then launched only to get boost at about 1/3 track. he posted a low 13 that time. What a joke. Easy 11 second car if he set it up right but you'd hate to drive it on the street.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #67
Aussie Pete

Okay, it's good we're focussing again.

There's two issues that get me going with this stupid idea of having a car spooling up.

1. The time it takes means they waste someone else's run. At some street meets others have paid their $70 and want more than two runs for their money. It's a production line and either get your stuff together or get pelted I reckon.

2. The big one which I didn't want to mention until now. And it's about safety. A car lines up on a street meet start line and goes on the green to run an average 15 second pass at maybe 95mph. Meantime, a w@nkmobile sits there spooling up for 10 seconds and gets down the strip at 130+mph. What if something goes wrong during the run. Now we have two cars with a closing speed that is at least 35mph if not more. Drag strips are set up narrow and the premise is that speeds will be similar or if there's a significantly faster car they'll be ahead.

On point 2 I think the organisers of these events have failed to do a risk analysis and do some common sense thinking.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #68
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Point two is a major safety issue I would think. The way my cars currectly setup it feels odd. With the correct stall speed the faster car was infront. Now with my incorrect stall speed I am usually slower to the 1/8 mark and faster by the end. I chase em down Choosing stall speed is painfull and a pain if you get it wrong.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #69
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
2. The big one which I didn't want to mention until now. And it's about safety. A car lines up on a street meet start line and goes on the green to run an average 15 second pass at maybe 95mph. Meantime, a w@nkmobile sits there spooling up for 10 seconds and gets down the strip at 130+mph. What if something goes wrong during the run. Now we have two cars with a closing speed that is at least 35mph if not more. Drag strips are set up narrow and the premise is that speeds will be similar or if there's a significantly faster car they'll be ahead.

On point 2 I think the organisers of these events have failed to do a risk analysis and do some common sense thinking.
I seen this about 6 weeks back, when a brown VL turbo crossed lanes lost control, there saying because they let him run with slicks but no front runners.
at 130mph must have got to light and skatey in the front.
It was lucky the car had already gone through the finish line..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #70
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
I seen this about 6 weeks back, when a brown VL turbo crossed lanes lost control, there saying because they let him run with slicks but no front runners.
at 130mph must have got to light and skatey in the front.
It was lucky the car had already gone through the finish line..
The joys of running too little pressure in the rears. Fun ;) I find I get a slight wobble if I run them too low. If I run the appropriate pressure it's not an issue.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #71
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
there was a VLt at wilowbank last wed that was just a joke!
And then there was the SubZero soarer... ran a 9 or something, but him and his mate in the blue datto ute both spent forever spooling.... I was convinced they'd broken something..... and after all that time spooling they didn't exactly hit hard off the line either....

Bish
Old 30-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #72
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
The joys of running too little pressure in the rears. Fun ;) I find I get a slight wobble if I run them too low. If I run the appropriate pressure it's not an issue.
A full slick isn’t allowed to be used unless front-runners are put the front of the car.
Calder has been a little slack in enforcing this; it’s an ANDRA regulation.

Old 30-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #73
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

in regards to yous paying out on the 10 second XRT's. these cars are making huge amounts of power, very impressive IMHO. much more so than the "stock XF carby auto GL pack" darting off the line next to them.
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:00 AM   #74
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2XLSV8
I agree that on a busy night that staging for 6-10 second only wastes time when people are trying to get more than 2 runs in. At Willowbank on Wed the 22nd this month I only just got in a 3rd run for the night. It takes me around 2 1/2 hours to get to the track if traffics good. If it's not a busy night then fine stage for 10 seconds. But if it's a packed night run it to the lights!

Yes i saw that VL. On one run he staged, stuffed the start, put his foot on the brake again and then launched only to get boost at about 1/3 track. he posted a low 13 that time. What a joke. Easy 11 second car if he set it up right but you'd hate to drive it on the street.
The white VL we are talking about here yeah. I ran him on the last run and by the time he had finished spooling her up and left the line I was past half track . Such a tough street car that one, pulled at 2.8 60ft on a 7.555 reaction time.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:51 AM   #75
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

Quote:
A full slick isn’t allowed to be used unless front-runners are put the front of the car.
Calder has been a little slack in enforcing this; it’s an ANDRA regulation.
Calder isnt Andra (and i hope never) but yes Mark have seen some very skatey cars on slicks with no front runners.

Brendan, i get skatey if i go to 10psi im not making enough power to need 10psi so definately not going back there

Simon
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #76
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-steve
in regards to yous paying out on the 10 second XRT's. these cars are making huge amounts of power, very impressive IMHO. much more so than the "stock XF carby auto GL pack" darting off the line next to them.
Yet they still run the same time as the "stock XF carby auto GL pack" after they spend 10 seconds spooling and 10 seconds ACTUALLY running the pass.

There's no dought that these cars are making serious power... they have, however, lost the plot when it comes to drag racing.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #77
geea
Turbo God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
Yet they still run the same time as the "stock XF carby auto GL pack" after they spend 10 seconds spooling and 10 seconds ACTUALLY running the pass.

There's no dought that these cars are making serious power... they have, however, lost the plot when it comes to drag racing.
At the moment my car is the only XR6T running 10's, (the C&V car has been put back to stock). I have never spent 10 seconds sitting on the start line and my car actually runs slower when i try to spool it up. I can get off the line with any other car if needed. I usually take 2-3 seconds as i'm not usually interested in the car next to me, i'm more interested in my set up. That being said i can race if needed. I usually find that i'm up against cars that are 3-5 seconds slower.

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #78
Mr Turbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geea
At the moment my car is the only XR6T running 10's, (the C&V car has been put back to stock). I have never spent 10 seconds sitting on the start line and my car actually runs slower when i try to spool it up. I can get off the line with any other car if needed. I usually take 2-3 seconds as i'm not usually interested in the car next to me, i'm more interested in my set up. That being said i can race if needed. I usually find that i'm up against cars that are 3-5 seconds slower.

Agree Craig, I never had and never will race the guy next to me... I dont care if i can beat him or not, but all i care is about me getting a good time.

Rob...
Mr Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #79
Chris
AFF.com.au

Hey Rob, Craig,

Your cars are a little different. I have seen both you guys run your cars, and I dont think you fit into the category being scrutinised here.

Both your cars are beasts.

Christo.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #80
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geea
As Chris said, you are the exception. It seems the larger engine capacity meens that it's not necessary to give it all the time. I am sure if needed you would cut a decent light. The mega KW VLs and a couple of the rotisseries can't say that.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #81
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Okay, I'm going to stir up a hornets nest but something has to be said.................

..........Let the flaming begin but facts are facts. Tell the truth and the whole truth or keep your times and your claims to yourself. :
He He He Go Pete, interesting thread.
I have nothing against cars running boost(check the signature). I don't believe you are having a go at geea :sm_headba and the like.
I know exactly what you mean. VL's etc that sit there spooling up after the lights have come down!
It's not like they don't know the lights are going to come down after the burn out, why not start spooling up then?
At street meets everyone pays thier money so I guess it's fair that people do what they like.
And as far as beginners go, hey take as much time as you need we have all been there.
In pure drag racing terms the first to the line wins, it does not matter what times are run(allowing for breakouts).

Personally I've dragraced street cars for more years than I care to admit. After getting the best time out of your current ride what then?
Then you have to improve your own performance, reaction time!
Often I've come up next to a car I know is more powerful, so I race the driver off the line.
In fact anytime I'm at the line on a dragstrip, it's the final of the nationals and I need to cut a good light to take out the final and win on points for the year. Hey I can dream!!

When the flag drops the bull stops!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:11 AM   #82
SpoolMan

HI Stu, is the Van ready for Heathcote?

Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #83
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
HI Stu, is the Van ready for Heathcote?
Gidday Mark, not looking good for Heathcote.
I pulled a head off this week, broken piston #8 again but also beat the bore up.
I'm rough enough to rebuild it again but am having no luck tracking down one piston to suit.
I'll keep you posted :
Old 02-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #84
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

why dont we, instead of racing the cars, just stand in the staging area, and press a button on green, therefore measureing ppls reaction time, if thats what your concerned about.

or go stand on a street corner and watch your "stock XF carby auto GL pack"s go by. Save you the trip to calder park. Even better, find a busy set of lights to sit at and measure everyones reaction time!
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #85
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
why dont we, instead of racing the cars, just stand in the staging area, and press a button on green, therefore measureing ppls reaction time, if thats what your concerned about.

or go stand on a street corner and watch your "stock XF carby auto GL pack"s go by. Save you the trip to calder park. Even better, find a busy set of lights to sit at and measure everyones reaction time!
No worries Steve you build a one lane drag strip, I'm sure it will be way more popular than cars racing each other.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #86
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not a drag racing guru so when I went to my first T&T at willobank, I went with a few of the LS1 crowd who are regulars. I was warned about certain drivers and cars and it was suggested that when I was matched up beside them that I wait a couple of seconds or so before launching just in case anything bad happened.
The cars I was warned about were mostly rotary/rice turbos, a corvette and a HJ monaro.
I accepted the warnings and had a fun night gradually improving my ET & 60ft. Another driver in a XR8 the same colour as my GT-P got matched against the above mentioned monaro and it cost him a huge dent in the bonnet and a destroyed windscreen when something fell off the monaro halfway down the track.

Now if I were serious about racing and were using the Test & Tune meeting to test and tune my car rather than mechanicly masturbate I would be much happier knowing that there is no chance that some frootloop in a 800kw skyline he bought on Ebay last week is in the other lane in a bit more car than he can handle.

Maybe this is why the "real" drag cars always run by themselves.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #87
SpoolMan

Quote:

Hi Steve, Reaction time is very important in Drag Racing, lots of people practice it for competition, next time you go to Calder have a try .400 is a perfect reaction time its not easy.
Before street meet trees, at a guess I would say 8 to 10 years back everyone raced on a Competition tree and the ET you recorded included your reaction time.
All competition and competitive drag racing is raced with comp tree which means reaction time, if you are coming to Heathcote on the 16th when we race the Dial your own brackets you need to be alert for a good reaction time. This type of Drag racing is 1st to the finish line wins, not the ET, its lots of fun...They say you snooze you loose..

Last edited by SpoolMan; 02-07-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #88
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think its a problem.

I think ET's are like power figures from factory cars. The better one wins. A person wont go into a pub and brag about his reaction time.

When I take my AU out, Im positive I wont leave the line exactly when the light goes green. I will try to get the best out of the car. If that means I sit there for 10 seconds getting everything right before i go anywhere then so be it.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #89
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
I dont think its a problem.

I think ET's are like power figures from factory cars. The better one wins. A person wont go into a pub and brag about his reaction time.

When I take my AU out, Im positive I wont leave the line exactly when the light goes green. I will try to get the best out of the car. If that means I sit there for 10 seconds getting everything right before i go anywhere then so be it.
Once you have activated the second staging beam, why would anyone need 10 seconds to get ready. I though i was slow at .8 to 1 second, and that is taking my time and getting ready.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #90
Aussie Pete

Oh look. If you don't think it's a problem you can sit on the line as well and feel like the current guys who I reckon have a blow off valve tied to their driving seat so they get the wind blown up their %$##@& for thrills. It's a w@nk. It's a waste of time. And it's just plain not drag racing.

"oh look maaattee, I'm a big wally but I got a fast ET even though it took me 31min:51secs to get my poor engine to even get the turbo ticking over and everyone else had to wait all night while I got in two runs."

Throw bottles at these idiots. Pfft.

My opinion. Yours doesn't count. Done.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post