Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #181
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mathematical equations, physics buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
So a kilo is a kilo is a kilo ???
Assuming you are referring to a kilogram then yes it is.

When was the last time you saw the price of gold quoted in dollars per kilo?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #182
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Assuming you are referring to a kilogram then yes it is.

When was the last time you saw the price of gold quoted in dollars per kilo?
a few seconds ago .....

Gold Price per Kilo in Australian Dollars

http://goldprice.com.au/

Mr Smartypants also says that an ounce = 28.4 g or thereabouts, whereas a troy ounce = 31 g.

But I take your point - it is sloppy to refer to a kilogram as a 'kilo' in a science-ey discussion.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #183
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

If you were travelling the speed of light, towards a star, would you intercept the light from that star at a closing speed of twice the speed of light?
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #184
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a few seconds ago .....

Gold Price per Kilo in Australian Dollars

http://goldprice.com.au/

Mr Smartypants also says that an ounce = 28.4 g or thereabouts, whereas a troy ounce = 31 g.
Got it.

Anyone who has ACTUALLY weighed precious metals, gems or black powder would know that they are measured in Troy rather than Avoirdupois.

Unfortunately it appears to be far too common for people to assume they understand a subject due to some theoretical knowledge rather than actual practical experience.

This does not just apply to weighing, there are several other topics on AFF to which this also appears to apply.......
Old 24-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #185
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Got it.

Anyone who has ACTUALLY weighed precious metals, gems or black powder would know that they are measured in Troy rather than Avoirdupois.

Ha ha. I just jagged it there, as I had no idea about the weighing of those things (other than gold and silver) - it was just a (superfluous) remark.
Looks like blokes' intuition is real phenomenon .....

But gems are weighed in carats aren't they ?

(Carats apparently come from the weight of a carob tree seed, which are almost completely uniform in weight regardless of the individual tree that produces them, allowing the jewellers of the past a common, easily-obtained unit. If my brain cell is correct).
Old 24-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #186
gtfpv
GT

heres one for yous all . is lady gaga a male or a female . my tingle sensation says she is a male , therefore i have no tingle .
one for the science buffs .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #187
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ha ha. I just jagged it there, as I had no idea about the weighing of those things (other than gold and silver) - it was just a (superfluous) remark.
Looks like blokes' intuition is real phenomenon .....

But gems are weighed in carats aren't they ?

(Carats apparently come from the weight of a carob tree seed, which are almost completely uniform in weight regardless of the individual tree that produces them, allowing the jewellers of the past a common, easily-obtained unit. If my brain cell is correct).
Yes they can be but the point of my question was that not everything is actually what you believe it is and sometimes logic is defeated by reality.

The same can be said about how many litres in a gallon?
It depends on with what standard the gallon complies.

Those who blindly stand behind their position and would rather win yet be wrong than lose and learn are the greatest threat to the advancement of human society since the contraceptive pill.

If a strawman wearing a P plate was running above the speed limit on conveyor in front of a speed camera in a school zone, would he take off........(theoretically of course)
Old 24-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #188
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which are the heaviest, a pound of feathers, a pound of gold, a pound of black gunpowder, a pound of diamonds or a pound of uranium (measured in the same place by the same people)?
All the same, of course. It's meant to be a trick question, but if everything weighs a "pound", then they all weigh a pound. Of course, it takes a lot of volume of feathers to be equal in weight to a pound of uranium...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #189
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal_250
If you were travelling the speed of light, towards a star, would you intercept the light from that star at a closing speed of twice the speed of light?
Nope, you would intercept it at light speed. In a similar way, if you collide head on with another car, and you're both travelling at 100km/h, then the impact speed is 100km/h. Of course, just to make sure, physics also adds another factor to the equation by stating that nothing can travel faster than light.

Old 24-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #190
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Nope, you would intercept it at light speed. In a similar way, if you collide head on with another car, and you're both travelling at 100km/h, then the impact speed is 100km/h. Of course, just to make sure, physics also adds another factor to the equation by stating that nothing can travel faster than light.
He has asked about the closing speed not the results of an impact.
Yes the distance between the two objects is changing by twice the speed of light.
If you had two cars starting at a distance of 200km apart traveling to meet each other at the exact middle, it would take them 1 hour, at a speed of 100km/h, to meet. So the distance between them was changed by 200km in 1 hour.
Old 24-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #191
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All the same, of course. It's meant to be a trick question, but if everything weighs a "pound", then they all weigh a pound. Of course, it takes a lot of volume of feathers to be equal in weight to a pound of uranium...
You missed it completely.

There are different standards for a "pound" that apply to different materials

Assuming that as you have only ever known one "pound" then that is all there can be and must be applied to all situations is the point of the question.

A 1971 Ford Mustang has a fuel capacity 40 gallons as per the brochure.
A 1971 Ford Falcon GT has a fuel capacity of 40 gallons as per the brochure.

Which holds the most fuel?

P.S. I know the actual capacities of those vehicles are different just in case there are no trains to spot at the moment....
Old 24-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #192
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Somebody had better tell all the Tachyons ......
Old 24-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #193
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1 US gallon = 3.785 411 78 litres
1 Imperial gallon = 4.546 091 88 litres

do I get a black jellybean ?
Old 24-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #194
sudszy
Banned

Quote:

and you've lost me with what you are trying to prove?

your original question asked what weighs more a pound of gold, uranium, gun powder or feathers.

Perhaps outline how many grams perhaps one pound each of these is rather than this obtuse diatribe about how we are all uneducated plebs.

Anyway, I thought I got a nice answer in to your question before that: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=172
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #195
Work Horse
Budget Racer

In 1971 Ford released the legendary XY GTHO Phase 3 Falcon.
The factory understated the engines output as 300hp to satisfy insurers.

The real figure was closer to 380hp, the exact same engine built today would make less than 320hp.
Both outputs are correct.
Old 24-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #196
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Assuming that as you have only ever known one "pound" then that is all there can be and must be applied to all situations is the point of the question.

P.S. I know the actual capacities of those vehicles are different just in case there are no trains to spot at the moment....
Hmm, I still say a pound is a pound, if you're talking about WEIGHT. If you're referring to MASS, then that's different.

Old 24-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #197
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Somebody had better tell all the Tachyons ......
Still only a theoretical particle... I'm not sure science has the ability to prove (or disprove) their existence.

Old 24-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #198
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still only a theoretical particle... I'm not sure science has the ability to prove (or disprove) their existence.
As is the theory that nothing can go faster than light......
Old 24-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #199
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As is the theory that nothing can go faster than light......
Prove it wrong.

Old 25-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #200
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
a definition of nothing is easy , an infinite void with no substance or light , or deviation , reaction, consciousness, nothing to define it .
i guess that still could be regarded of an area. but if no one was there to recognize or react to it, it wouldn't matter .
With that, you are describing "something" that is "somewhere". It comes down to consciousness and awareness perhaps. But then your left to describe the mind...
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #201
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

Consider the vastness of the universe/multiverse. We're on a rock orbiting a finite sun which is orbiting a black hole(s). Hundreds of millions of stars in a galaxy which have their own celestial bodies that orbit them in hundreds of millions of galaxies that make this universe. To believe that we're the only life that exists anywhere is naive in my opinion (not that I claim this is what you believe). I don't think the odds are that unimaginable. I'd be willing to bet Earth isn't the only celestial body in our Solar System that harbors life.
Yes, but have a think about what needs to not only be in place for life to exist (sun, water, chemicals, ozone layer, the list goes on), but the exact process that needs to occur for life to get started, there are mathematical equations that calculate the chances of life occurring on Earth by random chance, and you couldn't even fit the numbers on this page it is so large.

If you have evidence that suggests that there are other planets with life on them I would gladly take this on board, but with all the research that is currently being done with such instruments such as the Hubble telescope and the many fixed telescopes which suggest that "X" planet has Earth like features or could possibly harbour life is not evidence but merely hypothesis.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #202
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
imagine the different forms of life earth has had in its history , maybe similar beings many times over . maybe thats the way it is
I have often thought of this a few times, but from an evolutionary point of view it would be very highly unlikely as the Earths age is around 4.5 billion years old, to get to where we are now is said to have taken around 3.8 billion years.
Old 25-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #203
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Yes, but have a think about what needs to not only be in place for life to exist (sun, water, chemicals, ozone layer, the list goes on), but the exact process that needs to occur for life to get started, there are mathematical equations that calculate the chances of life occurring on Earth by random chance, and you couldn't even fit the numbers on this page it is so large.
Do you have a link to that equation? Never seen it myself.

What about Drake's equation?

Only my opinion, but I think you're over-estimating what's needed to harbor and sustain life on other celestial bodies, otherwise NASA wouldn't have a hard-on about sending probes to several moons that orbit Jupiter and Saturn in a search for life.

If you have evidence that suggests that there are other planets with life on them I would gladly take this on board, but with all the research that is currently being done with such instruments such as the Hubble telescope and the many fixed telescopes which suggest that "X" planet has Earth like features or could possibly harbour life is not evidence but merely hypothesis.[/QUOTE]

Clearly I don't have evidence of life on other planets.

I opined that the existence of life is unlikely to be confined to one lowly rock in the vast expanse of this universe.. and if it is, it's wasted on us.

Kepler has found in excess of 1000 planets in its short life-span. It's discovering them by detecting them transiting their sun. Given that, it's clear that planets orbiting a sun is a very common phenomenon. To then have a planet with conditions able to sustain life would probably happen more than once.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #204
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well maybe some moons in the solar system do harbour life, or life-ish, but what about this one -

You have not shaved for X time and have stubble.

Your woman's core body temperature is slighty above 'normal'.
She thinks you look rugged.

Your woman's core body temperature is slighty below 'normal'.
She thinks you look scruffy.

Okay smart guys - why is it so ???

(Yes, ladies - I am a very bad man)
Old 25-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #205
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well maybe some moons in the solar system do harbour life, or life-ish, but what about this one -

You have not shaved for X time and have stubble.

Your woman's core body temperature is slighty above 'normal'.
She thinks you look rugged.

Your woman's core body temperature is slighty below 'normal'.
She thinks you look scruffy.

Okay smart guys - why is it so ???

(Yes, ladies - I am a very bad man)

Easy, you need a higher paying job?

I guarantee with a bigger pay packet you'll always look rugged?
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #206
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gk
Easy, you need a higher paying job?

I guarantee with a bigger pay packet you'll always look rugged?
We have a winner. Yep, the bulge of the wallet is the bulge that really counts.

Bad guy = exciting and dangerous = weekend of fun
Good guy = reliable and boring = servant for lifetime