Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default showing my age and ignorance.

had the ute for 3 years approx, today had a new windscreen fitted after wedge tail eagle thought he might enjoy a trip inside...(he failed to get in )

anyway look in the parcel box between the seats and a dash camera that I fitted way back when and then forgot about...
so how do I read check the small SIM card thats in it?
Ya think its time I replaced it?
Old 16-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: showing my age and ignorance.

Probably a microSD card. You can get adapters to (full size) SD card if your computer has a reader, or even USB readers for them.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how would I know if 'puter has a reader
Old 16-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/s...b-microsd-card
That's just a random microsd card, and one of the pics has the adapter for the larger size card. Assuming that's what you've got, the reader will be a slot nearly an inch wide that the larger card slots into.

Otherwise, something like this should do the trick https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb-micro-...eader/p/XC4740
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well bug ga me learn something every day...thanks gents.
Old 16-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have a laptop, it might have a built in reader for cards but they vary. Some can read one type and others multiple. I think that SD and microSD basically would be most common though.

Usually they are located on the front or on the side and you push it in and a tray pops out or you plug the card directly in the slot.

If you have a desktop, it would be on the front but I don't think they typically come with them.

As above you can buy a card reader and plug it in via USB or if you have a cable that come with camera you should be able to plug it in via USB.

If you have a digital camera it is basically the same process with getting your photos onto the computer.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
If you have a laptop, it might have a built in reader for cards but they vary. Some can read one type and others multiple. I think that SD and microSD basically would be most common though.

Usually they are located on the front or on the side and you push it in and a tray pops out or you plug the card directly in the slot.

If you have a desktop, it would be on the front but I don't think they typically come with them.

As above you can buy a card reader and plug it in via USB or if you have a cable that come with camera you should be able to plug it in via USB.

If you have a digital camera it is basically the same process with getting your photos onto the computer.
now he tells me drrr
Old 17-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taking this further, if the SIM card has been in for X years, should I perhaps replace it?
If its being recorded on, what happens when it gets fully loaded?
How long would it take if the camera was operating whenever the engine running?
Old 17-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on the size of card, you probably get a few hours of recording before it is full. The camera would usually record when the key is turned on, then stop when the key is off. They generally just delete the oldest stuff and keep going recording, so at any given time, you would have say the last 5 hours of driving recorded. The cards do eventually wear out, the camera would give some sort of error though.
Old 19-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the card if it's still recording info. My bet is it won't be.

ALOT of people just throw in any card, but they won't last as they're not made to withstand the heavy duty use of the dash cam. A simple way to check when buying a new card is to see if the warranty covers usage in a dash cam. Don't expect much change from $100 though...
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Baaaa, just bought $30 from post office... guess that wont work well.
Old 19-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some types of card are rated high endurance for when they are being written to continuously. A cheaper standard card will work just fine, but it may have a shorter lifespan.