Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 16-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #61
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Have not come across them personally but they certainly look quite distinctive.

They are known to be poisoners to both humans and pets so perhaps show some caution as to where you plant them.
That's a great quality for having them at the driveway entry- fend off animals and stray door knockers!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #62
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My creation for today......

These two bird baths were delivered damaged. Rather than throwing them out, I potted them up with a selection of Succulents.

I love doing this sort of thing and it turned out better than I had imagined.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #63
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So that’s the backstory!

Unrelated, getting shot of bamboo. A bloke I’m doing some work for, has let potted bamboo get out of hand. It’s coming up through numerous cracks in his driveway/paving. Any hints on dealing with it - have heard that glyphosate isn’t always much use?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #64
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DFB FGXR6 each one to their own... as a youngster I mowed lawns for pocket money, one old biddy (polite term) would sit outside and watch me mow near her succulents. Scream & yell if I got too close.The front yard was also on a slope.
One day Id had enough of her carp and got my mower on the rise of her yard, pretended to trip and the old Morrison did its best cut ever.

Without batting an eyelid and her trying for a heart attack, I pushed the mower onto the trailer I towed behind my pushbike and peddled off into the sunset.
Id wager she grows them still....it hell
Old 17-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #65
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So that’s the backstory!

Unrelated, getting shot of bamboo. A bloke I’m doing some work for, has let potted bamboo get out of hand. It’s coming up through numerous cracks in his driveway/paving. Any hints on dealing with it - have heard that glyphosate isn’t always much use?
I have not had to deal with out of control Bamboo but my research indicates Glysophate should be effective.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-b...tly-38065.html

May I ask what you mean by the backstory?
Mustang GT

Old 17-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #66
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Backstory? I meant the reason you had those bird baths to use in such a way.

Have more than once noticed damaged statuary marked down at nurseries.
Old 17-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #67
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
So that’s the backstory!

We have a few stands of bamboo, so far I've gotten rid of two of them, and they're not in pots.

My solution was to buy a mini-excavator, which still took some time, but the root mass gets really dense.

Glyphosate can be used if you cut it down to the lowest joint, and pour straight glyphosate into the hollow. The stand I tried this method on has now regrown to about 5 metres in height

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #68
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
So that’s the backstory!

Just move house.
Old 19-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #69
roKWiz
Cabover nut

DFB,
Nice work on the birdbaths, I remember as a kid going down to the little nursery along Marsden Road, Carlingford with the parents to buy potted plants and succulents. Wonder if its still there, think it was owned by Swanes out Kenthurst way.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #70
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Next to the cemetery? Was still there last year, although the cow paddocks nearby are long gone, ditto the nice lady on the next corner up who tirelessly raised funds for charities.
Old 19-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #71
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Next to the cemetery? Was still there last year, although the cow paddocks nearby are long gone, ditto the nice lady on the next corner up who tirelessly raised funds for charities.
Turn left out of Thompson st, heading down to West Ryde on the first RH bend. Wasn't cemetery heading up towards Mobbs Hills at the nice old church.

edit that.... Left out of Tomah St.....just googled it. I can see it a a Wesley centre next door

Old 19-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #72
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, there’s an early colonial cemetery next door to the nursery. Mobbses and Marsdens in there.
Old 19-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #73
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yes, there’s an early colonial cemetery next door to the nursery. Mobbses and Marsdens in there.
Vaguely remember it as a kid but tell you the truth I've never been in there. Got a feeling they might have moved the graves from the old church up the road when they developed the land for apartments in the 60s.

Old 19-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #74
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Great thread Deyon.

I dont know many garderner who are passionate about gardening. But I can see how it could soothe you doing something you really enjoy.

Personally I really really dislike gardening. Like really dislike it. I will do it if I have to, but I would be happy to pay someone to maintain my garden for me than do it myself. That is how much I dislike it. haha

I wish you lived closer coz I would be happy to give you work on my property. haha

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #75
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
DFB,
Nice work on the birdbaths, I remember as a kid going down to the little nursery along Marsden Road, Carlingford with the parents to buy potted plants and succulents. Wonder if its still there, think it was owned by Swanes out Kenthurst way.
A bit of Google stalking reveals all!

https://www.swanes.com/contact-us
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #76
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Great thread Deyon.

I dont know many garderner who are passionate about gardening. But I can see how it could soothe you doing something you really enjoy.

Personally I really really dislike gardening. Like really dislike it. I will do it if I have to, but I would be happy to pay someone to maintain my garden for me than do it myself. That is how much I dislike it. haha

I wish you lived closer coz I would be happy to give you work on my property. haha
Your the second person in two days to tell me I'm so passionate and enthusiastic about gardening. It's so nice to get some positive feedback, it's been a bit thin on the ground lately for a few years now. Really appreciate those words.

As I'm sure you can understand, I don't do much gardening in my down time. I garden and care for plants 6 days a week, it's the last thing I want to do for myself. I guess I get my fix during working hours and give 110 % to my customers. Hence my other thread on Ford Forums is far removed form Horticulture
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #77
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

First Camellia Japonica flower for the season.

First of many by the looks of those buds waiting in the wings. This one is called 'Great Eastern'.

My Grandma had a garden filled with mature Camellia's, mostly of the Japonica type.

Broadly, there two main types of Camellia, Sasanqua and Japonica.

Sasanqua Camellia's flower in Autumn and early Winter and are more tolerant of sunny conditions. Their flowers are generally smaller but produce more of them compared to Japonica's. They make a great hedge or showy feature shrub.

Japonica Camellia's flower during winter and more suited to shadier spots in the garden, morning sun at the most. Having said that, they will acclimatize over time to a sunnier spot. The flowers on Japonica's are larger and fuller. The size and habit of these Camellia's is generally larger, almost tree like when fully grown. This means they are not as suited for hedging. Plant these Camellia's as a feature shrub or where height is needed.

All Camellia's prefer a rich, moist soil. Mulch and water well during the warmer months of the year. Always feed Camellia's after flowering to support new growth. Likewise, trimming is best done after flowering to shape if necessary.

Camellia's are my favorite plants. For most of the year they are just another green shrub, but when in flower, nothing is better than a Camellia for impact in the garden. Kinda like me, quiet and reserved mostly, but I may just surprise you one day!
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #78
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A good sized Japonica is glorious. Up there in my faves with Gordonia and Magnolia Grandiflora.

How do you manage unwanted shooting at the pruning cuts? I was always told to dig out the shoots like eyes on a potato.
Old 21-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #79
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
A good sized Japonica is glorious. Up there in my faves with Gordonia and Magnolia Grandiflora.

How do you manage unwanted shooting at the pruning cuts? I was always told to dig out the shoots like eyes on a potato.
In general, ripping the bud out will prevent a plant from shooting.

With roses, for example, that shoot from the root stock, it's advised to yank the unwanted shoot and rip it from the plant. That removes the bud and stops it from re shooting.
Mustang GT

Old 22-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #80
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This Protea caught my eye whilst walking the dog this afternoon.

I'm fairly sure it's a variety called Pink Ice. Natives plants are not really my thing but this plant really captures your attention.

Protea's are pretty tuff customers, however avoid disturbing their root system and be careful not to apply strong fertilisers to them or around them.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #81
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My creation for today......

These two bird baths were delivered damaged. Rather than throwing them out, I potted them up with a selection of Succulents.

I love doing this sort of thing and it turned out better than I had imagined.
Looks great! Did ya drill some drain holes in them?
Oh, and I used to work for the mob that sold them ;)

[

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #82
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Looks great! Did ya drill some drain holes in them?
Oh, and I used to work for the mob that sold them ;)

[
Sure did.

Small world
Mustang GT

Old 25-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #83
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hardenbergia Violacea "Happy Wanderer".

This is one of those plants that has never gone out of fashion. A hardy Australian native climber that does a wonderful job of covering fences, training over an arbor or climbing up pergola poles. There are many different varieties and colours to choose from, but this is a case of where the original is the best. Only problem with this plant is that I don't have the room for one in my garden.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

These Cyclamen caught my attention on the way out tonight.

These long flowering plants are a staple of our Nursery during the autumn and winter months of the year. Popular as a gift, often at Mothers Day, I love them for the subtle scent and vibrant colour. Cyclamen are often kept indoors however they really benefit from a night out in the cold. With our heaters running indoors, the little spell out in the cold improves the overall health of the plant and quality of flowers.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #85
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Winter planting for my favorite customer this afternoon.

First was a replacement Iceberg standard rose.

Second was a new tree for a warm sunny spot of the garden.

This tree replaces two columnar Apples that never really did all that good. I am a big believer that if a plant isn't doing the job as intended, try something else. No point nursing a sick or miss-chosen plant if it's just not working.

This is a new variety of Cercis from Fleming's, so new I can't even find it on their website. Research indicates that this variety will tolerate our Aussie summers better than other Cercis. 'Aurelian' features golden lime-yellow foliage followed by a showy late winter/early spring display of flowers along the stems.

Filling out the enxtended garden bed are two Salvia and a low growing Grevillea. Both should love the warmth of this spot. The Grevillea I chose is 'Mt Tamboritha', a variety that features attractive soft foliage and pink spider-like flowers. Both Salvia's are from the 'Heatwave' collection that are generally more compact in growth.

I also added some winter colour to some pots, Polyanthus are a favorite of mine.

I love the hope and promise that goes into planting.
Mustang GT

Old 28-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #86
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If only more people would take gutsy decisions to replace something - or prune hard. A mate who gardens full time reckons the people who constantly nix a needed pruning, are the bane of his life.

Nice to see some mini orb on a fence, too.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #87
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If only more people would take gutsy decisions to replace something - or prune hard. A mate who gardens full time reckons the people who constantly nix a needed pruning, are the bane of his life.

Nice to see some mini orb on a fence, too.
They just don’t understand how important REGULAR pruning and clipping is for topiary. One fortnightly client of mine would want me to paint or run errands for her instead of gardening, I would only get to the ficus spheres in winter when the frosts made them look like crap until spring. No more, I put my foot down, it’s only tightly clipped buxus, ficus and Lilly Pilly now.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #88
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Have you come across Firestick plants? I scored a couple of them, and they're getting very tall!
Be VERY careful handling those Darryl...I somehow got some of the sap in my eyes and it was very painful, ended up at the doctor having my eyes flushed out and on drops/cream for a few days
I knew that I had some sap on my hands, but can't remember going anywhere near my eyes...could have been a reaction from it leaching into my skin.
We ended up getting the mower guy to dig both plants up and take them to the dump, didn't want that happening again

Linz's 2004 Winter White BA RTV Ute

2004 Winter White BA RTV Ute...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #89
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
They just don’t understand how important REGULAR pruning and clipping is for topiary. One fortnightly client of mine would want me to paint or run errands for her instead of gardening, I would only get to the ficus spheres in winter when the frosts made them look like crap until spring. No more, I put my foot down, it’s only tightly clipped buxus, ficus and Lilly Pilly now.
I used to garden for a little old Greek lady who could barely speak English, although she did manage to master saying "you busy today" and "CUT CUT". She kept me on my toes.

Regarding Pruning, most plants will respond well to a heavy prune however most people are scared they will kill the plant. I always love the reaction when people see me pruning roses. My technique of winter rose pruning is extremely hard, the harder you cut, the harder they will respond with new growth in spring.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #90
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad was the same with roses, he would prune almost to root stock, his nephew was president of Christchurch rose club and always wanted to know how dad got such growth and blooms.
He surprised us with a visit one day, how e
he didnt die from heart failure was a miracle