Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
MickG

Default Advice please on buying LV Focus XR5 Turbo

Folks

Not contributed much here but joined as my wife drives a Territory and I find these types of forums very useful for honest advice and opinion.

I am looking for any advice or comment really on purchasing an LV Focus XR5 Turbo. I'll most likely be looking for a near new or ex demo 5 seat model and am wondering if there are any common faults people here have experienced?

Also, as I'll be looking to purchase one in the next few weeks, can anyone give me some advice on bargaining at this time of year so close to fin year end? What sort of % off discount as a rule of thumb should I expect if any from dealers.

Any advice anyone can offer on this particular car, it's known faults, general upkeep costs etc, I would be very grateful.

Thank you

MickG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought one of these earlier this year, it has now done around 8000 kms and mechanically has been rock solid there was a paint issue due to some idiot swirlmarking it when they washed it but the dealer rectified. They are great cars and if mine is an average one they are very good from factory. Do be aware that the xr5 has a larger turning circle than the lesser focus models due to much wider rubber all around, and the aircon is not much chop in them either apart from that they are ace cars.

I suggest a read of this thread for more infoz http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11293615

or this thread with pix and other possibly useful info http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11284167

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
MickG

Thanks mrbaxr6t, appreciate your help and thanks for the great links.

By all accounts they seem like pretty reliable cars which is my main concern. Have driven a friends one a while again and loved it, so it might be time to get one.

Thanks again
Old 06-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mick,

I've given some info on this before, unfortunately due to tiredness I can't repeat it all, but feel free to PM me for any info you want to know about the XR5.

Long story short, they are a magical car and you will love it!

Known faults: head to www.fordxr5turbo.com and have a look at the issues section.

Basically you have a car with lots of torque, and decent grunt going through the front wheels.

If you abuse it, CVs and drive shafts break, if you drive it normally and with mechanical sympathy, you'll have plenty of trouble free motoring.

General upkeep is pretty easy as well.

Pads and rotors will last quite some time depending on driving style.

OEM is very expensive! so when you come to do brakes, feel free to get a DBA or EBC varient.

Same with tyres, the continentals that come with it cost a fortune, but there are much, MUCH better tyres available for the $250 a corner mark.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

As for pricing - they're at the best price they've ever been sold at since launch (about 3-4 years ago).

I believe they're selling them now at about $35k Drive Away - best to check because I'm not sure, but I know of a few people who've bought an LV in the last 3 months and absolutely love them.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
MickG

Thanks SgtBourne, just actually finished reading several of your posts on some of the links mrbaxr6t posted.....great reading and very useful!!

Thanks also zetec, yes around $35k seems to be about right, i'm hoping I can do even better than that if I wait a few more weeks and the dealers start looking to off load cars in this financial year.

Am about to start ringing around dealers to see what their best price might be etc and go from there - if anyone spots a good deal, let me know!!

Thanks again folks for all the info, waiting for my registration to be approved over at fordxr5turbo.com and will keep you posted if I end up with one.....which is highly likely.

Aye, Mick
Old 06-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi Mick,

I'm one of those ppl that bought an LV in the last 3 months. I love it. I always get out of the car with the biggest grin on my face. They're well priced and well appointed car. Handling wise they're not as good as you WRX's and Lancer Ralliarts, but they'll still grip like all hell. Plenty of room for tuning if you're into that too.

They're only options are leather and sunroof. Personally, i went for the cloth recaros as they hold you in more Stripe packages are available on all models. But unless you're getting white, don't get them. I think it attracts the bogans in their dunnydores :P

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
MickG

Thanks also XR5-Boy, i'll be after the cloth seats as I have kids to content with so need all the seats, sunroof would be nice but is this only an option with leather?

Appreciate the info
Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
JJ500
Starter Motor

Hi Mick,

I drive one myself and they are magic, you will love the XR5, they handle like they are on rails. You dont need leather to get the roof, they are both separate options. The only thing is that if you are looking for an orange one the paint is extra, check it out when you head to a dealer.
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, sunroof is an optional extra of it's own right.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Hi Mick, i have the ls model of the XR5, it is now 4 years old & hasn't given me any problems. i have used mine on the track @ winton & done a few deca days so it hasn't had an over easy life, i'm now coming up on 75k still on the original clutch, discs. the mods i have done are all in my sig.
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
MickG

Excellent, thanks guys, much appreciated. Put a few feelers out yesterday to dealers and had one call back. He has a late '09 build, March '10 registered silver LV with cloth trim done 450k's and is selling for $33,990.

Not bad as it's virtually new but I have asked if he can sharpen that price as it's not a huge leap to a brand new '10 build car really.

Also, can anyone tell me if you need to 'run in' the engines on the LV's or can you just ring it's neck from new? I was always told that any car needs to be 'run in', but I have also heard that newer cars do not require this.

Can anyone speak from authority or experience on this?

Thanks again guys and will keep you posted.

Aye, Mick
Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hey Mick,

With the XR5, you shouldn't push it for the first 1000kms. After that, just follow standard engine and drive train wearing in procedures. vary your gear selection and revs when doing 60, 70 and 80km/h. Mine has done just over 5000 now and it has loosened up alot since I first got it. (zetec can confirm that) ;)

So, in other words, don't go revin the bejeezus out of it as soon as you get it. It will also give you time to get used to the car. The clutch grips quite quickly in this thing. Took me a good few weeks to get used to the immediate response.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
MickG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Hey Mick,

With the XR5, you shouldn't push it for the first 1000kms. After that, just follow standard engine and drive train wearing in procedures. vary your gear selection and revs when doing 60, 70 and 80km/h. Mine has done just over 5000 now and it has loosened up alot since I first got it. (zetec can confirm that) ;)

So, in other words, don't go revin the bejeezus out of it as soon as you get it. It will also give you time to get used to the car. The clutch grips quite quickly in this thing. Took me a good few weeks to get used to the immediate response.
Thanks XR5 Boy, when you say your car has 'loosened up', I assume that's a good thing and what exactly do you mean? Also, do you mean sometimes drive at 60, 70 or 80kph in 3rd gear for a while then in 4th/5th gear for a while etc, and by a while are we talking to the shops and back?

Will try my hardest to be kind for the first 1000k's but I'm not sure I'll be able to help myself.

Thanks again for the info
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mick, there are varying thoughts on "run in"

There are some 5'ers that literally left the dealer in smoke, and others that have wrapped their cars in cotton wool.

To be safe, vary the revs (ie. don't sit at a certain RPM for a long time) feel free to load the car up (once warmed up of course) ie. 30km/h in 3rd and give it ~75% throttle so the engine gets put under load.

Don't rev the poop out of it, try and keep revs under 4,500 although in saying that if it does go over a couple of times it's not the end of the world.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
MickG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Mick, there are varying thoughts on "run in"

There are some 5'ers that literally left the dealer in smoke, and others that have wrapped their cars in cotton wool.

To be safe, vary the revs (ie. don't sit at a certain RPM for a long time) feel free to load the car up (once warmed up of course) ie. 30km/h in 3rd and give it ~75% throttle so the engine gets put under load.

Don't rev the poop out of it, try and keep revs under 4,500 although in saying that if it does go over a couple of times it's not the end of the world.
Thanks SgtBourne, sounds reasonable to me.
Question though on 'warmed up'. When can I expect the car to be 'warm' each morning, after 1k or 10k's (assuming I nurse it along)?

Appreciate the help again.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With mine, I start her up and you'll notice it revs higher than normal for around a minute, I wait until the revs settle, then if it's real cold I wait another minute, if not, I begin driving, and usually I wait for the engine oil gauge to get past the first marker (you'll know what I mean when sitting in the car).

Usually it's around 10 minutes of driving.

Also, you don't have to, but if you have sympathy, once you come home, either use the last few K's to let the car run off boost, or let the car idle in your driveway for a minute or two just to take the heat out of the oil that is cooling the turbo.

Only thing worse than turning the key and flogging right away, is flogging it to death then just turning the car off!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
MickG

Quote:
Also, you don't have to, but if you have sympathy, once you come home, either use the last few K's to let the car run off boost, or let the car idle in your driveway for a minute or two just to take the heat out of the oil that is cooling the turbo.

Only thing worse than turning the key and flogging right away, is flogging it to death then just turning the car off!
Thanks SgtBourne, I used to own a TD5 Land Rover Discovery and that was also the advice I was given when arriving home after giving it some. I'll bear that in mind also.

Update on dealers: Spoke to a couple of dealers today and one has a new 2010 white XR5 he can do for $34500. Another has a silver for around the same price. My question to you guys is; as we are nearing the end of financial year, am I likely to see a better deal than $34500 closer to June 30th if i wait a little longer?

Thank again, Mick
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who knows to be honest.

Dealers haven't really had any troubles selling XR5's, more they have trouble meeting demand.

With the XR5 being finished up soon, they may either be a bit smug and realise they'll get snapped up easily, or they may just try and push them out the door.

Even though I have a silver myself, the white looks unreal in the new (LV) shape.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
MickG

Quote:
Who knows to be honest.

Dealers haven't really had any troubles selling XR5's, more they have trouble meeting demand.

With the XR5 being finished up soon, they may either be a bit smug and realise they'll get snapped up easily, or they may just try and push them out the door.

Even though I have a silver myself, the white looks unreal in the new (LV) shape.
Thanks again SgtBourne, will post up what I end up doing.

Aye, Mick
Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries bud, glad to help.

Hopefully all the stars align and you are driving a 5 in no time
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

White gets my vote. I was considering it when I bought mine but I just couldn't pull myself away from the orange. Even now though I still really like the white.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
crispymk2

also, the 2010 had a few small improvements over the 2009 LV's such as shorter gearknob and a few other tweaks which makes the white 2010 a more attractive option
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #24
MickG

Anyone got any links to some decent pics of the white LV as I can't seem to find many outside of the ford official sites?

Tempted by white though plus the closest dealer to me has a white one in stock......oh the dilema!!

Thanks again guys and I predict I'll be in one of these beasts within the week.

Aye, Mick
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
MickG

One other thing while I think of it, just so I don't miss anything, my order so far to the winning dealer will be;

2010 LV Model
White or Silver (or dark silver but that's an outside chance at this stage)
Throw in mats and iPod cable

What have I missed and I am presuming I can't spec things like tyres?

Thanks for your help and advice again.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispymk2
also, the 2010 had a few small improvements over the 2009 LV's such as shorter gearknob and a few other tweaks which makes the white 2010 a more attractive option
Mine's an August 09 build and i got the shorter gear knob :P

You'll find most 09's have it. They don't, however, have the new power button surround. The new one prevents you accidentally pressing the button

Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #27
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dark silver is called Sea Grey from memory.

I'd just keep the stock tyres while you get used to the car and fob them off for something decent when you are ready.

If you get the continentalls, they aren't bad tyres really.. just cost a heck of a lot more than better tyres.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
crispymk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickG
Anyone got any links to some decent pics of the white LV as I can't seem to find many outside of the ford official sites?

Tempted by white though plus the closest dealer to me has a white one in stock......oh the dilema!!

Thanks again guys and I predict I'll be in one of these beasts within the week.

Aye, Mick
Few shots I took of a forum members white LV and another guy with a white + stripes and the rally car too

Old 13-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #29
Joey_Falcon