Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-10-2021, 11:35 PM   #1
Green_Arrow
Starter Motor

Default Key won't turn in ignition barrel.

Hi,
I have a Ford Fiesta WS 2010 that the key won't turn in the ignition. (Steering wheel is also locked).
We are going to go to locksmiths tomorrow, and try our luck having a new key cut, but I am thinking if the ignition barrel requires to be replaced, is it just a matter of pushing in the pins to remove the key tumbler? (With the steering wheel being locked, only one steering wheel surrounds screw is exposed, so it's going to be fun trying to remove the surrounds).
If the current key is too worn to be copied, I am guessing we will have to source the key code from Ford.

Another thing is too, this is my nieces car, and when she bought it some time ago, she only received one key from the previous owner. It's also not the original key; no buttons to unlock door.
Did these models come out with a flip key originally, or did their original keys have buttons to remote lock/unlock the car?

Thanks,
Jim.
Green_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Key won't turn in ignition barrel.

My AU2 does it on occasion, it seems to happen if I park at full lock if I lift key up gently and wriggle steering wheel it loosens up and starts car,you need to turn key as you wriggle steering wheel.
Worth a try, good luck
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Green_Arrow
Starter Motor

I got a new key cut, luckily the car book had the key number.
New key didn't work either.
I am in the process of arranging a new ignition barrel kit, and the fun job of getting the old one out.

I have wriggling all sorts of directions, etc. No good.
I spoke to the locksmith, and he has offered to come around, and wriggle himself, which will be good as he would have more experience than me at feeling those things.
Old 18-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaGP_P6ByA Common Fiesta issue.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
Green_Arrow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
If only as it was easy as that.

I have removed the whole ignition lock assembly off the steering wheel column, I will now be able to work on it on a bench.
I have ordered a new ignition lock kit for it, and replace it when it arrives.
This user likes this post: