Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
Aussieguy
Starter Motor

Default Just got my Focus ST 2013 and have some questions

Just got my Focus ST 2013 delivered from Melbourne and got it all registered today and its really nice, just a few little things I'm wanting to find out or get more info. Before this car I owned a Mazda 3 2010 Luxury 2010 and loved it, it was just getting on a bit in Ks and years and the Focus ST seemed like a good next step and so far, im glad I did.

1. Compared to my MPS the Focus is quicker in 1st and 2nd but seems to lack power in the mid range. I think the turbo was a lot better in my MPS, as 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th you felt the boost kick in way more. So would a custom tune or Dyno tune fix this issue, or improve the boost more in the mid range without changing any parts? I called a couple of places and a couple said they can dyno tune it and another said they have to unlock the ECU and you need to buy a licence and it opens up more things, but they didn't explain it properly. Anyone know the differences between the 2? A dynamic I got quoted $1000 and the other method with licence would cost about $1700.

2. My bonnet seems to have like a 3cm gap when it closes and hard to close also, is this normal?

3. I have pretty stocky legs and its so hard to get comfortable in these seats. In my MPS it had it had tilt seats, where the part your bum sits on, could tilt forwards or back to adjust the angle, there wouldnt be a way to do this in the ST would there?

4. Anyway for the car to autolock itself maybe by a secret setting at the dealer or something? So when you hop out of the car and take the keys out the car would lock itself.

Any info about these would be appreciated, thanks.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Just got my Focus ST 2013 and have some questions

1. Ford Europe appears to have a strategy of limiting torque in 1st and 2nd gear on their low-pressure turbo, performance models; particularly compared to the Japanese manufacturers. Suggest you look at https://www.cobbtuning.com for tuning options, parts & local dealers/tuners. If you are in Sydney I can recommend Croyden Racing at Smithfield.
2. This seems to be a large gap. Is there any evidence of a non-standard battery or some other part impeding the bonnet, either now or in the past? I've seen this happen when an oversized battery has been fitted in error.
3. Sorry only have experience with Recararos in our ST and there is no tilt adjustment.
4. Not that I'm aware but there may be a buried option that a dealer can access via Forescan.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Just got my Focus ST 2013 and have some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
1. Ford Europe appears to have a strategy of limiting torque in 1st and 2nd gear on their low-pressure turbo, performance models
typically this is to protect the gearbox as often 1st and 2nd often aren't as strong. A tune would fix this but you risk picking bits of gearbox out of the engine bay
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
Aussieguy
Starter Motor

I actually find 1st and 2nd good in the ST compared to my MPS, its 3rd, 4th and the mid range where I think it lacks. This would smash the MPS off take off but once the MPS hits 3rd and above, the power of the turbo really kicks in and was hoping a tune would be able to up the boost a little more for the ST?

Btw, ive never like Cobb Accessport so that's not a option for me. Its just ive seen way to many people that have owned this, to have many problems with their cars. When I owned the MPS, you would hear constant complaints from Cobb owners and ever with the ST by browsing the internet, it seems to be a Cobb problem. Least if I got a custom tune, I just get it and leave it and cant touch anything 🙂
Old 06-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The Mazda 3 MPS with its larger 2.3 engine produced more torque (380 Nm) vs the Focus at 360 Nm.

From memory, Mazda did their best to tame the torque steer by limiting the grunt in first and second.

I'm guessing that would be why the 2.0 ST would feel a bit off in the taller gears compared to the MPS.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
Aussieguy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The Mazda 3 MPS with its larger 2.3 engine produced more torque (380 Nm) vs the Focus at 360 Nm.

From memory, Mazda did their best to tame the torque steer by limiting the grunt in first and second.

I'm guessing that would be why the 2.0 ST would feel a bit off in the taller gears compared to the MPS.
Yeah, I got a tune done on my mps to remove the restriction Mazda put on 1st and 2nd, but still the ST feels quicker in those 2 gears, its the mid range where it lets the ST down IMO though and hoping a custom tune would help this with the ST.

I dont know, maybe the turbo of the ST is smaller then the MPS also, but still helping a tune can up the boost safely in it?
Old 11-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
MarkkyMark
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
typically this is to protect the gearbox as often 1st and 2nd often aren't as strong. A tune would fix this but you risk picking bits of gearbox out of the engine bay

Yes true the syncros give out in these normally 1st and second as they are weaker, there is not a solid latch that comes off the gears but like a lug if that makes sense
MarkkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
MarkkyMark
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Just got my Focus ST 2013 delivered from Melbourne and got it all registered today and its really nice, just a few little things I'm wanting to find out or get more info. Before this car I owned a Mazda 3 2010 Luxury 2010 and loved it, it was just getting on a bit in Ks and years and the Focus ST seemed like a good next step and so far, im glad I did.

1. Compared to my MPS the Focus is quicker in 1st and 2nd but seems to lack power in the mid range. I think the turbo was a lot better in my MPS, as 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th you felt the boost kick in way more. So would a custom tune or Dyno tune fix this issue, or improve the boost more in the mid range without changing any parts? I called a couple of places and a couple said they can dyno tune it and another said they have to unlock the ECU and you need to buy a licence and it opens up more things, but they didn't explain it properly. Anyone know the differences between the 2? A dynamic I got quoted $1000 and the other method with licence would cost about $1700.

2. My bonnet seems to have like a 3cm gap when it closes and hard to close also, is this normal?

3. I have pretty stocky legs and its so hard to get comfortable in these seats. In my MPS it had it had tilt seats, where the part your bum sits on, could tilt forwards or back to adjust the angle, there wouldnt be a way to do this in the ST would there?

4. Anyway for the car to autolock itself maybe by a secret setting at the dealer or something? So when you hop out of the car and take the keys out the car would lock itself.

Any info about these would be appreciated, thanks.

#1 Be careful of the local places, quite a few do direct tuning to the ECU and leave as that and may not know what they are doing. (most get done via overseas)

Accesports are a great way to start.

Let me know what you need, i have pretty much done everything there is to mine

#2 this can be adjusted in the front, two little raisers

#3 most people complain about the RS, as they are much worst, i have stocky legs, but I suppose it is what youre used to

#4 yes this can be done via forscan, it is not done from factory, i have done it in my Mk3.5, auto lock
MarkkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post