Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
Dave666

Default How does the 1.3lt Turbo go?

My BA Fairmont is on its last legs and I am thinking of buying my first Focus as a smaller family car. We also have an SY Territory.

While I would love to get the SA with 2.3lt turbo, its not P-plate approved in NSW and my kids will be learning to drive in this car. So I am looking at the 1.3lt turbo.

I am a bit worried if this engine is a bit too small. Not for city, but for longer distance open road driving. To be more specific, overtaking. I hate cars that don't have enough punch to overtake safely on the open road.

What's you experience on the 1.3lt turbo?
Dave666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: How does the 1.3lt Turbo go?

The Focus features a 1.5lt not a 1.3lt.

While I don't own one, I have driven a ST-Line a few times, the engine is decently strong, in fact is has more power and torque than most of it's competitors. Importantly, peak torque is made at 1750rpm making everyday driving and overtaking more effortless than say a N/A 2.0 found in a Mazda 3 or Toyota Corolla.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
Dave666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The Focus features a 1.5lt not a 1.3lt.

While I don't own one, I have driven a ST-Line a few times, the engine is decently strong, in fact is has more power and torque than most of it's competitors. Importantly, peak torque is made at 1750rpm making everyday driving and overtaking more effortless than say a N/A 2.0 found in a Mazda 3 or Toyota Corolla.
Sorry, I meant 1.5lt.
That's good to hear. When lockdown ends I might try to take one for a test drive.
Old 29-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If the rules are like Victoria, L platers don't have the same restrictions that P platers do.

Or will they still be driving it while on P's?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Dave666

The kids will use this car for both L & P's.

Some states seem to allow P's to drive the 2.3lt turbo, but not NSW.
Probably a good thing, you know how dangerous young men and cars can be.

I am ok with the 1.5lt, however, I was just a bit unsure about its overtaking power when doing 100kph or more.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The 1.5 3-cylinder Ecoboost has a nice off-beat note to it as well. As you can see, the Focus has the torque where you want it compared to the two top sellers. Having also driven similar Hyundai and Kia models with their version of a NA 2.0 four pot, the Focus creams them for engine refinement.

Focus-
134 kW @ 6000 rpm and 240 Nm @ 1750 rpm.

Corolla 2.0 (non-hybrid) -
125 kW @ 6600 and 200 Nm @ 4400 rpm.

Mazda 3 2.0 -
114 kW @ 6000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 4000 rpm.
Mustang GT

Old 29-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
Dave666

I am no expert on power and torque, but those numbers look pretty good. Particularly the torque at low revs. Is it fair to assume that torque at low revs would make it a better car for city driving; ie lower revs?
I guess it mainly depends on the gearing ratios?

Sorry - I just read your reply post below which confirms my thoughts
Old 29-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave666 View Post
I am no expert on power and torque, but those numbers look pretty good. Particularly the torque at low revs. Is it fair to assume that torque at low revs would make it a better car for city driving; ie lower revs?
I guess it mainly depends on the gearing ratios?

Sorry - I just read your reply post below which confirms my thoughts
The 8 Speed torque converter gearbox in the Focus is another plus in my opinion compared to CVT's and DCT.

The low speed torque will make city and highway driving more effortless.

What you may find though is while the low end performance will feel really strong, the top end of the engine will feel a bit flat. That is a common theme with turbocharged low capacity engines.
Mustang GT

Old 29-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It overtakes fine - more than enough to get your kids into trouble if they are so inclined, to be honest.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...automatic.html

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c..._ba_mk_ii.html

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 29-09-2021 at 11:43 PM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post