Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
SOF14A
Starter Motor

Smile Ford focus st or ford focus st-3

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am in the process of buying myself a Ford ST. I currently drive a 2013 Ford Focus S so this is going to be a huge jump for me.

I have my eye on a FORD ST with a manual transmission, however, I have been told about the new FORD ST-3 that will be coming out in October. It is a limited edition ST with only 200 to be built. The only problem is it only comes in an automatic. It comes with the features that were in the previous model ST including:
  • adaptive LED headlights with cornering functionality
  • electrically-adjustable and heated Recaro front sports seats trimmed in leather and suede
  • a head-up display, panoramic glass sunroof
  • a 10-speaker B&O Play sound system
  • blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
Do I choose the ST-3 over the Focus ST from a resale value perspective?

What are your thoughts? Please help! lol =/

TIA!
SOF14A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford focus st or ford focus st-3

id pick the st3 if i wanted an auto.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

It's not 'really' limited Imo. There's never been a limited ST/XR5 Turbo
It's just a batch of higher spec cars ST3 cars.

Isnt it still the same model, it's not new.
Aus ST deliver cars were always a mix of ST1/2

ST3 spec level cars are sold in Europe.
If happy with an Auto, get it.
If not just get the current ST.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 29-07-2021 at 01:00 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Ford focus st or ford focus st-3

I’ve been looking at them. If you are happy with an auto the ST3 represents good value in my opinion. I’d pay the extra as I see value in some of the fruit.
It’s not limited in numbers like an R-Spec Mustang but they say they will only bring 200 to Australia. But I think it’s more of a test to see how they sell. If the demand is strong they will bring more next year.

It won’t be a collectors item like an RS Focus. How long do you plan to keep it?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’ve been looking at them. If you are happy with an auto the ST3 represents good value in my opinion. I’d pay the extra as I see value in some of the fruit.
It’s not limited in numbers like an R-Spec Mustang but they say they will only bring 200 to Australia. But I think it’s more of a test to see how they sell. If the demand is strong they will bring more next year.

It won’t be a collectors item like an RS Focus. How long do you plan to keep it?
Exactly.
Dunno why they'd just bring auto if they want to test it, maybe they want it to not be as successful as it could be.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 29-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gearbox choice is a big factor in this type of car. Its meant to be a drivers car. If you want Auto definitely go for the ST3. If you want manual, go the normal ST.

It would be horrible to compromise if you want manual and get an auto for some extra goodies and regret it later.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
4DZILR
Starter Motor

Buy a falcon... problem solved :P btw - she is my wife fellas haha

I think manual as well or wait for RS3
4DZILR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
SOF14A
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Firstly, 4DZILR.... I wanted to buy the supercharged V8 but you wouldn't let me have a better car than you. :P

Secondly, I've been driving manual for over 15 years and I don't think I should succumb to an automatic now just to have all the options. I just don't understand why Ford would take out some of the extras in the older model ST just to place them in the ST3? Isn't that a kind of cop out?

Top_Ghia I'll be keeping this car for a while. I want to enjoy it and I always have fun driving a manual car. I love hearing the pop tune and it isn't the same in an auto.

Wow, so it's not a limited edition like I was told? Interesting. I wonder if Ford will bring out a new version RS? Now I'd definitely wait for that! lol
Old 29-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #9
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF14A View Post

Firstly, 4DZILR.... I wanted to buy the supercharged V8 but you wouldn't let me have a better car than you. :P

Secondly, I've been driving manual for over 15 years and I don't think I should succumb to an automatic now just to have all the options. I just don't understand why Ford would take out some of the extras in the older model ST just to place them in the ST3? Isn't that a kind of cop out?

Top_Ghia I'll be keeping this car for a while. I want to enjoy it and I always have fun driving a manual car. I love hearing the pop tune and it isn't the same in an auto.

Wow, so it's not a limited edition like I was told? Interesting. I wonder if Ford will bring out a new version RS? Now I'd definitely wait for that! lol
The ST3 isn't an older model, it's the same as the current ST we get here.
FoA have just offered a higher spec to Aussies.
They havnt taken any spec off the current car, the current car we get in OZ is just a lower spec.
Focus ST has always been.
ST1
ST2
ST3
Aus delivered cars have always been a mix of ST2/3

This is just a higher spec car being offered.
If it were me.
I'd buy a manual ST, not the new one.
As for RS.
I think that's still born.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
The ST3 isn't an older model, it's the same as the current ST we get here.

FoA have just offered a higher spec to Aussies.

They havnt taken any spec off the current car, the current car we get in OZ is just a lower spec.

Focus ST has always been.

ST1

ST2

ST3

Aus delivered cars have always been a mix of ST2/3

This is just a higher spec car being offered.

If it were me.

I'd buy a manual ST, not the new one.

As for RS.

I think that's still born.

Ford Aus did pull some spec out of the st. They pulled out the B&O strereo and a few other bits of fruit that originally came as standard. Then they put that fruit in the ST3.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Ford Aus did pull some spec out of the st. They pulled out the B&O strereo and a few other bits of fruit that originally came as standard. Then they put that fruit in the ST3.
Was that stuff standard fit on ST2 cars sold in Europe?
I havnt checked specs.
If it's not fitted to ST2 spec. Then they havnt
I'd say ST3 the B+O would be standard in Europe. All FoA have done is bring in some ST3 spec cars
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 30-07-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 30-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We did lose some equipment.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-f...ses-equipment/
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
fugleman
Starter Motor

Also comes down to price.
You will pick up a "standard" ST Manual cheaper than the newer "limited" St-3 Auto of course.
If you don't really care about the extra bells and whistles i.e. adaptive headlights, heated electric seats HUD etc. and are more into just enjoying the manual performance save money-but resale may be less with more depriation!

I have ordered the St-3 in magnetic for $50,000 as i prefer an auto for daily Melbourne traffic and like a "little" bit of comfort --and are patiently waiting delivery
fugleman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #14
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Hi SOF14A I have a white MY2021 ST2 (actually built in Oct 2020) with the 7 speed auto & sun roof it also has the Digital dash gauges apparently Ford removed the 10 speaker audio, Electric seats so they could add the Digital dash & keep the cost the same as the Analog ST ( I think they change to digital gauges in about August 2020) not sure about that one! (mine does have the blind spot monitoring & the rear cross traffic alert) but anyhow imo the ST is awesome, tons of torque, the auto is really good for a conventional torque converter job it's changes are quick, not as fast as DCT but put it in sports mode & its almost as quick, I would also suggest more reliable in the long run, you do miss out on the crackles & pops of the manual, but this auto is in my opinion much easier to drive fast with the paddles or in normal auto- sport mode, I have had mine since Feb 2021 & love driving it every chance I get, its a rocket! you will enjoy which ever you decide for sure.
John Humpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #15
Aussieguy
Starter Motor

In turbo cars, I much prefer a manual, if a AUTO is the only option, I would rather just get a on turbo. Turbos are much more fun IMO in a manual. I tried a Auto Golf R and hated it, sold it within a month.

I now just bought a 2013 Focus ST with really low Ks and hopefully it lives up to my expectations when it arrives from Melbourne.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Ford focus st or ford focus st-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
In turbo cars, I much prefer a manual, if a AUTO is the only option, I would rather just get a on turbo. Turbos are much more fun IMO in a manual. I tried a Auto Golf R and hated it, sold it within a month.

I now just bought a 2013 Focus ST with really low Ks and hopefully it lives up to my expectations when it arrives from Melbourne.
Yeh Aussieguy I get your point, back in the distant past I owned a manual XB GT 4 door & loved it but today the auto's are just so good, fast shifting & reliable in particular the Torque converter auto's as in the 2021 Focus ST ( I also needed to consider the other half who will only drive an auto! so there's that) you can use the paddles at anytime & it's really quick using them especially in Sports mode that quickens throttle response, stiffens suspension a tad & makes gear swaps even quicker, I love this thing, it's so much fun, you can even just potter around town calmly in Normal mode, best of both worlds IMO. cheers.
Old 18-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:

Whilst I kind of agree. I don't.
I had a 2012 Focus ST, 2010 focus XR5 turbo and now a manual FG turbo.

Being a manual it can be harder to keep on boost, whereas an auto isn't.

That said, I'd still pick a manual 7 days out of 7.
I did see somewhere that the manual MK4 Focus ST is actually faster than the Auto.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 18-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #18
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Whilst I kind of agree. I don't.
I had a 2012 Focus ST, 2010 focus XR5 turbo and now a manual FG turbo.

Being a manual it can be harder to keep on boost, whereas an auto isn't.

That said, I'd still pick a manual 7 days out of 7.
I did see somewhere that the manual MK4 Focus ST is actually faster than the Auto.
Hi DJM83 I heard the same thing just before the Aus version was released but contrary to popular belief (even allowing for the extra weight of the auto) I defy any manual (no matter who the driver) to shift as quick as the Auto ST, there in lies the difference, in fact a test by I think it was 'Car Expert' on You Tube found it didn't matter what they tried or which mode they were in the auto was substantially faster than the manual full stop.
Old 18-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
Aussieguy
Starter Motor

It doesnt matter to me if the Auto is faster, they just aren't fun for me and I know everyone is different, but for me, a manual is all I will own until I get a bit older maybe and have to deal with traffic jams everyday, then maybe I might change to a Auto.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #20
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
It doesnt matter to me if the Auto is faster, they just aren't fun for me and I know everyone is different, but for me, a manual is all I will own until I get a bit older maybe and have to deal with traffic jams everyday, then maybe I might change to a Auto.
I think the difference is I'm older probably a lot older but one thing for sure once a car nut always a car nut, I just enjoy a drive & always have, enjoy your ride whatever you decide on, I'm sure you will, cheers.
Old 18-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #21
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Humpo View Post
Hi DJM83 I heard the same thing just before the Aus version was released but contrary to popular belief (even allowing for the extra weight of the auto) I defy any manual (no matter who the driver) to shift as quick as the Auto ST, there in lies the difference, in fact a test by I think it was 'Car Expert' on You Tube found it didn't matter what they tried or which mode they were in the auto was substantially faster than the manual full stop.
Not what I've read re auto being faster.
Regardless I'd still pick the manual
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 18-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #22
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
That's the thing about facts, you don't have to like them, it's just how it is, but I respect your affection for the manual you certainly get the bangs & pops that you don't in the auto. cheers.
Old 23-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #23
SOF14A
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yeah I'm with you on that one.

I just ordered the new FOCUS ST in a manual. I look forward to driving it as soon as it arrives! I'm pretty stocked! Should be fun.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 23-04-2022, 10:05 PM   #24
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yeah I'm with you on that one.

I just ordered the new FOCUS ST in a manual. I look forward to driving it as soon as it arrives! I'm pretty stocked! Should be fun.

Thank you all for your input.
I'm sure you will love it, the ST in either Man/Auto has tons of torque & just handles so well with those awesome PS4's, mine has just passed 15,000 km's &
I could not be happier with it, can't wait to drive it whenever i can, it's just a truly fun car that puts a smile on your face!:
Old 26-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #25
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Go the ST-3. A Mountune air filter, 330 tune and springs and killer package. Well refined, tonnes of technology, awesome handling, especially for a FWD car.
Old 26-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #26
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Go the ST-3. A Mountune air filter, 330 tune and springs and killer package. Well refined, tonnes of technology, awesome handling, especially for a FWD car.
Sounds like this Mountune kit makes a very noticeable difference to the ST from what iv'e read on line, won't stress the driveline to much but i would think twice about the new 365 kit & the massive amount of torque it produces might just be a bit to much for long term reliability, I think the 330 is just right just like the 3 bears story,love to know what you think after a few months, cheers.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #27
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Humpo View Post
Sounds like this Mountune kit makes a very noticeable difference to the ST from what iv'e read on line, won't stress the driveline to much but i would think twice about the new 365 kit & the massive amount of torque it produces might just be a bit to much for long term reliability, I think the 330 is just right just like the 3 bears story,love to know what you think after a few months, cheers.
John it is great, absolutely love it. Pity Ford got rid of this from their Australia line up. Fiesta ST is now ending worldwide, hopefully the Focus ST worldwide continues...

I have had multiple enquiries wanting to buy my ST-3... might keep it, though when new RS3 arrives...
Old 07-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #28
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What is this about a Pop Tune ?
I have some idiots around here that have the exhaust popping like stupid driving everyone up the wall, esp at night. if I was a Socialist I would be calling for such cars to be destroyed as well, within the Hoon Laws !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #29
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
John it is great, absolutely love it. Pity Ford got rid of this from their Australia line up. Fiesta ST is now ending worldwide, hopefully the Focus ST worldwide continues...

I have had multiple enquiries wanting to buy my ST-3... might keep it, though when new RS3 arrives...
Glad all is going well, might consider this 330 upgrade when my warranty runs out or may be even before since you can return every thing back to standard before service is due, Cheers.