Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Default Focus not starting

Have a 2011 Focus auto diesel which has suddenly decided to not start. Everything works as it should except no response when start button is pushed. Car recognises the transponder and it comes out of park as it should. No power at the starter relay. if we bridge out the relay, the starter engages but car will not start. Was working fine prior to stopping for lunch. Car is on Norfolk Island so a visit to a dealer is not an option. Any advice would be really appreciated
norfolk lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Focus not starting

Two things to check, do your brake lights work, if not then the brake switch may not be working and thus it wont start as you need a brake signal for it to start.

When you press the button on the trans shifter does the P on the cluster flash on off at the same time?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 05:55 AM   #3
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Hi, yes brake lights work and the secondary circuit on the brake light switch works also. P light does not flash when brake pedal pushed. Selector moves freely through all positions and dash light shows correct positions. Will not start in park or neutral.
Old 16-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk lifestyle View Post
Hi, yes brake lights work and the secondary circuit on the brake light switch works also. P light does not flash when brake pedal pushed. Selector moves freely through all positions and dash light shows correct positions. Will not start in park or neutral.
I meant does the P flash on the cluster when you press the button on the shifter, not the brake pedal.
Old 16-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

No the P light does not flash
Old 16-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=norfolk lifestyle;6590751]No the P light does not flash[/QU

Check the shifter switch, when you go through the gears on the cluster the P R N D should be orange/red when you dont have the button on the shift depressed. When you press the button the P R N D should go out and come back on when you release the button. If its not changing colour, it means the shift switch is no good and the car thinks the button is always being pressed.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info. Is the shifter switch under the centre console or on the side of the trans? Has a square black plastic cover with wires coming out of it on the front of the trans.
Old 17-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is the shifter switch under the centre console or on the side of the trans? Has a square black plastic cover with wires coming out of it on the front of the trans.
Its part of the shifter assembly, I don't think you can buy as separate part?
Old 17-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you get ANY response when the start button is pressed? Have you checked that it's actually powered and working?

Quote:
No power at the starter relay. if we bridge out the relay, the starter engages but car will not start.
Unfortunately that won't work as the the fuel will still be cut-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
If its not changing colour, it means the shift switch is no good and the car thinks the button is always being pressed.
If you suspect the shifter-switch, try jiggling the shifter when locked in park, and/or in Neutral.

You could also try resetting the transmission.
one option is simply disconnecting the battery and leaving it sit for a good while (opinion differs as to time, I would leave it overnight to be sure). (Obviously this will also reset everything else.)
You can also google & rubetube for various reset procedures.
Here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCVWYIPIPK4
but it seems to vary greatly depending on model and transmission. (And no guarantee it will actually help your problem.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #10
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Hi, No response at all when starter button is pressed. Have had battery disconnected for a week so that should be long enough. Have moved selector through all positions multiple times with no change. The only fault code on scanner is a rear wheel speed sensor faulty.
Old 18-06-2021, 05:56 AM   #11
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

We only bridged out the starter relay to confirm the starter was not faulty.
Old 18-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
290v
290v

i had this problem with my daughters Focus 2011 model and it turned out to be that someone had knocked the plug out under the grove box fuse panel the car was dead battery was new pays to check just incase
Old 18-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Will check that just in case. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #14
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Still no luck getting this thing to start. All plugs under glove box in place and connected. Shift selector light on dash shows which gear is selected. The dark grey highlights as you move it. All fuses are ok. Reverse lights and brake light work. Selector switch on gear change appears to be working according to my sparkie. Everything inside the car works as it should but just will not activate the starter.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #15
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

see if this youtube helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7viTBxzqgrE
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #16
norfolk lifestyle
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Focus not starting

Hi all, Still not making progress with this car. Any utube video I look at is key start car or american system. Anyone on this forum wanting a expenses paid holiday on Norfolk island? If you can get my car to go, I will pay for airfares and accomodation. waynederby@hotmail.com
Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #17
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could try re setting the key remote to ensure its recognized by the cars CPU
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
brucewarring

Hi , I have a LS and on then driver side kick panel there is a little hole which conceals a red button make sure that this button is pressed in as this controls the starting system (I read this somewhere}
brucewarring is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewarring View Post
Hi , I have a LS and on then driver side kick panel there is a little hole which conceals a red button make sure that this button is pressed in as this controls the starting system (I read this somewhere}
Thats the fuel pump cut of switch that triggers if there is a roll over..
This user likes this post: