Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #541
antgt990
Starter Motor

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
I have a black FPV, it gets used in fine weather mostly and never sees daily driving duties, always stored in a clean garage, first and probably the last black car I would ever own, it simply does not stay visibly clean for more than an hour after its washed and dried lol. It is the ultra fine layer of dust that is present on every car that is quite noticeable on shiny black paint! It is in what I would call excellent condition but any paint imperfections are magnified x10. However, and it is a big however is that it looks absolutely amazing when it’s spotless. Something about a black car and in the right shape and model looks damn cool. I’m very particular so the appearing clean drives me nuts, be careful and using the right cleaning methods and it will be fine.
Had a black AU XR8. Like you. Never again with black. Looks great when it was clean and from a distance but it did my head in continually having to clean the bloody thing.
antgt990 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #542
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I think gloss black wheels would fall into this category too!

They often look like this -

And very rarely like this -

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #543
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I think gloss black wheels would fall into this category too!

They often look like this -

And very rarely like this -

Black cars I like, black wheels....not so much
Old 06-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #544
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it has been covered a million times in this thread so far but just want opinions on this new offering.

Why I am asking is that I already have heaps of Ryobi Batteries and a gift voucher will reduce the cost a lot.

This would be for only infrequent use and not doing other peoples cars every weekend ect. I have never used one before.

On the negative it only has a 8mm orbit which seems low compared to others and is 5" / 125mm which I am not sure if it is good or bad as it seems some are a little larger.

I understand the pads are probably rubbish so name brand ones would have to be found.

Under the conditions listed above is it still a Yeahhh....Nahh?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #545
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The 8mm throw would put me off. Most are 15mm and the big boys 20.
5 inch pad is fine.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #546
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I know it has been covered a million times in this thread so far but just want opinions on this new offering.

Why I am asking is that I already have heaps of Ryobi Batteries and a gift voucher will reduce the cost a lot.

This would be for only infrequent use and not doing other peoples cars every weekend ect. I have never used one before.

On the negative it only has a 8mm orbit which seems low compared to others and is 5" / 125mm which I am not sure if it is good or bad as it seems some are a little larger.

I understand the pads are probably rubbish so name brand ones would have to be found.

Under the conditions listed above is it still a Yeahhh....Nahh?
Considering you already have the battery system, at that price it's worth a try.

Regarding pads, they are most likely decent but you will need more than supplied.
"Compatible with other 125mm hook and loop polishing pads"

You will be able to shop 125mm / 5 inch pads from a variety of outlets/brands.
Mustang GT

Old 06-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #547
prydey
Rob

Sorry to butt in a bit but I'm thinking of buying a snow cannon (I'd be lying if I said it wasn't just because I think it looks cool) and likely go for the bowdens one mainly because I think an adapter is available to suit my ancient Karcher (about 10yrs old at least - K2.180 I think). Anything I should know before buying?
Old 06-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #548
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Sorry to butt in a bit but I'm thinking of buying a snow cannon (I'd be lying if I said it wasn't just because I think it looks cool) and likely go for the bowdens one mainly because I think an adapter is available to suit my ancient Karcher (about 10yrs old at least - K2.180 I think). Anything I should know before buying?
That Bowdens cannon at that price is decent value, I think you be well pleased by it.

Foam cannons sold through Waxit and The Detail Store come with the appropriate adapters as well. Have a look there for some comparison, some are about $10 cheaper, although you will need to add shipping to that price. You could do what I do and order enough to cover free shipping

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...xit-foam-lance

https://www.detailstore.com.au/collections/snow-foam
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #549
prydey
Rob

Karcher have their own attachment but I read earlier that someone said it wasn't very good. Is that right?

What makes a good cannon? Do they all just work on a venturi created by the water flow, and a valve to control how much solution is sucked through?
Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #550
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I’ve got 2 Karcher foam lances. One is only about 250-300ml in capacity and not adjustable. It empties the bottle before you can get around the car. It’s just too small.
I’ve also got the larger 500ml adjustable one. It’s a bit better and at least you can actually do the whole car.

But neither are great at actually making foam in my opinion. If you don’t have anything I’d look for one with a 1litre bottle from a reasonable brand. I think the Bowdens own one is 30% off at Repco at the moment. I’d try that.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #551
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Karcher have their own attachment but I read earlier that someone said it wasn't very good. Is that right?

What makes a good cannon? Do they all just work on a venturi created by the water flow, and a valve to control how much solution is sucked through?
I assume you mean this sort of thing -

Do not waste your money on the Karcher foam cannon, they will not produce the level of foam you can expect from the multitude of other options out there.

I'm not entirely sure what go's into making a good foam cannon. Save for the high end MTM PF22.2, they are all mostly the same. The quality of foam has a lot to do with the pressure washer itself, some machines will struggle to put enough pressure through the cannon. Having said that, I got great foam from a pretty basic Karcher K2.400 and a Waxit cannon.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #552
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I think the Bowdens own one is 30% off at Repco at the moment.
Wonder if that will still be on after tonight. They are normally only for the weekend. Still showing on their website as having the NRMA discount but its in store only.

Oh well, sales are fairly regular at most of the main stores and they all stock bowdens now so just have to keep my eye out.

We need a thread where people update it with the latest sales
Old 06-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #553
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I assume you mean this sort of thing -

Do not waste your money on the Karcher foam cannon, they will not produce the level of foam you can expect from the multitude of other options out there.

I'm not entirely sure what go's into making a good foam cannon. Save for the high end MTM PF22.2, they are all mostly the same. The quality of foam has a lot to do with the pressure washer itself, some machines will struggle to put enough pressure through the cannon. Having said that, I got great foam from a pretty basic Karcher K2.400 and a Waxit cannon.

Yeah I’ve got that Karcher foam gun. It works would be the best praise I could give it. I’ve got it running on a K7.
I’m in the market for a new foam cannon if that tells you anything.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #554
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgt990 View Post
Had a black AU XR8. Like you. Never again with black. Looks great when it was clean and from a distance but it did my head in continually having to clean the bloody thing.

Family driveway. Go black or go home.

No matter how annoying black is, I would always choose black.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 07:14 AM   #555
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Wonder if that will still be on after tonight. They are normally only for the weekend. Still showing on their website as having the NRMA discount but its in store only.

Oh well, sales are fairly regular at most of the main stores and they all stock bowdens now so just have to keep my eye out.

We need a thread where people update it with the latest sales
Supercheap had 30% for members saturday just gone. Picked up some Bowdens Own boss gloss and some fully slick. I find the boss gloss a wonderful product during the week when i just want to get the dust off with minimal time and no fuss.

Since it was the weekend, i had the time to go over the car with waxit lustre, then a topping of carpro elixir. Also did the wheels with elixir and blackened the tyres and mudflaps with meguires tyre gel. Finished up with a dustoff with some boss gloss last thing on Sunday. Almost disappointed i only have one car to clean....

Its nice that at least some of us here understand.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 07-06-2021 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #556
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

Family driveway. Go black or go home.

No matter how annoying black is, I would always choose black.
Once you go black, you never go back.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #557
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Can you get a foam cannon to work with just a normal hose and not a pressure washer?
Old 07-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #558
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

prydey, just get the Bowdens one, I have it works great.
I think it comes with an attachment from memory, or just ask about that.

Ben73, nice BLACK fleet I'm with you all the way.
Now only down to 2 black from 3 BUT no worries sticking to Black.
Funny fact, all the other colours owners have wash just as regularly as if they owned black so whats the fuss "shruggs shoulders"
Funnily when my Sprint does look dirty it doesn't fuss me anywhere near as much as the black Sprint wheels.
My 1st and last time I'll ever get a car with black wheels, the Sprint ones are stored away never again to be used.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #559
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Can you get a foam cannon to work with just a normal hose and not a pressure washer?
Yes, you can.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...CABEgKIL_D_BwE
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...re-wash-soaker

The quality of foam will be determined by your mains pressure though. Foam from these devices is more runny, good for getting soap on the paint though.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #560
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Black Mustang Wheels are by far the worst wheels I have ever owned for the time they take to clean.
Even water on the road will make them look dirty, let alone brake dust.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #561
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The Black Mustang Wheels are by far the worst wheels I have ever owned for the time they take to clean.
Even water on the road will make them look dirty, let alone brake dust.
It only took 4 years for me to get sick of cleaning those suckers.

Cleaning these new wheels is a breeze, especially with the ceramic coating repelling brake dust.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #562
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

4yrs eh ? your a gluton for passion punishment DFB, as are any owners with those OE Mustang rim design.
At least in a factory silver as many should have been imo you can have some cleaning grace depending how much it tests your boundaries.
Having been a wheel changing whore for a long long time and regular washer of my loved ones I learnt long ago the KISS wheel design wins hands down.
My black OE Sprint wheels were off within a month of picking the Sprint up.
Easy wheel washing is bliss as now you experience
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #563
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really didn’t consider washing them at the time but I’m glad I got the optional forged alloys on the stang. They are quite good to clean. I did ceramic coat them when new and I think it does make them easier to clean. It also gets washed at least once a week.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #564
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
4yrs eh ? your a gluton for passion punishment DFB, as are any owners with those OE Mustang rim design.
At least in a factory silver as many should have been imo you can have some cleaning grace depending how much it tests your boundaries.
Having been a wheel changing whore for a long long time and regular washer of my loved ones I learnt long ago the KISS wheel design wins hands down.
My black OE Sprint wheels were off within a month of picking the Sprint up.
Easy wheel washing is bliss as now you experience
I nearly ordered the Mustang with the optional Nickle Lustre silver wheels. Sort of glad I didn't, at least the black versions hide a certain degree brake dust. You would have be very meticulous with the silver ones to keep them looking fresh.

KISS? These two are my favorite to clean -

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #565
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I noticed today that Car Care Products are introducing 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating to the Australian market.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/3...ing-458ml.html

I'm not sure how I feel about these new coatings that contain graphene. Apparently the amount of actual graphene in these products is minimal. Also, the claims of lowers paint surface temperatures that help to reduce water-spotting are yet to be proved. That said, I know of people that have used 303 Graphene and have been very impressed with the application and durability.

Despite being a detailing product slut, I'm not sure I'm ready to rush out and try this stuff yet.
Mustang GT

Old 09-06-2021, 08:57 PM   #566
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Despite being a detailing product slut, I'm not sure I'm ready to rush out and try this stuff yet.
Bugger, we were all going to wait for your appraisal
Old 09-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #567
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Bugger, we were all going to wait for your appraisal
Oh, if you insist.
Mustang GT

Old 09-06-2021, 11:51 PM   #568
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Once you go black, you never go back.
Almost never*
Unfortunately I did. 2 years ago I bought a new Jimny and since they don’t come in black in Australia I had to settle for grey.
I’ve considered wrapping it black to protect the paint and to match the other two black cars in my household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
prydey, just get the Bowdens one, I have it works great.
I think it comes with an attachment from memory, or just ask about that.

Ben73, nice BLACK fleet I'm with you all the way.
Now only down to 2 black from 3 BUT no worries sticking to Black.
Funny fact, all the other colours owners have wash just as regularly as if they owned black so whats the fuss "shruggs shoulders"
Funnily when my Sprint does look dirty it doesn't fuss me anywhere near as much as the black Sprint wheels.
My 1st and last time I'll ever get a car with black wheels, the Sprint ones are stored away never again to be used.
That photo is a little old now. 3 of the cars have been replaced since then. The replacements are black, silver and green. My family like black cars but are not dedicated as much as I am.

My Ranger had black wheels and they were painful. I can handle dealing with black cars but brake dust is next level on black.

My black Grand Cherokee is the 75th anniversary model so it has these weird bronze/brown/grey wheels. They seem to look a different colour depending on the ambient light. They aren’t my favourite colour wheels, but they hide brake dust so well. They always look the same no matter how dirty they are.

Last edited by Ben73; 10-06-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #569
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Picked this up today at Supercheap Auto.

Going to give it a try this weekend if the weather holds out.

Although fairly new on the Aussie market, I have heard a lot of positive reviews on their new Graphene infused wax.

Turtle Wax are really kicking some goals of late with their high tech line of products.

Almost re-inventing and changing their brand perception of their 80 year old heritage of automotive care care products.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #570
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Look forward to the product review, gofurther.

Went out shopping yesterday. Picked up some low sheen armourall for the dash and plastic surrounds. Currently cleaning it weekly, and leatherising the steering wheel. So much dust on that dash!

Also found a budget solution, maybe, to my need for a detailing stool.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-p...-blue_p0860423

Syneco also make a 150kg step stool with sides, instead of legs. Cant find on their website. Couldnt decide so i bought both. The second one is currently turned over and will be used as a carry all for product, rags and so on.

Manoevuring space in the garage is tight, theres not much space to use a wheeled stool. Will see how this goes for now.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: