Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #1261
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Not to mention he shut down an entire logging/sawmill operation without even as much as a simple consultation. Dictatorial attitude may well be his undoing, some voters have long memories, unfortunately most labor voters are blind to their own bureaucratic imprisonment.
Got to pander to those irrelevant greens. Holy hell has there ever been a more utterly worthless political party than them

As for the home schooling, with both me and the fiancee working not sure how this is going to work. Would have to send my son to school. Even if we could keep him home, there's no way he could sit in front of a laptop all day doing school work. Must be a hell of a lot of kids in the same boat. Might be ok for older kids, but primary school kids are a different story.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #1262
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I guess you are fortunate that you have 2 incomes,maybe get yourself stood down and collect the $750 week and live easily on the fiancees income
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #1263
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well I guess you are fortunate that you have 2 incomes,maybe get yourself stood down and collect the $750 week and live easily on the fiancees income
Would be the other way round. Missus has had her work cut back a bit already.

My work hasn't changed at all.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ford/...-07/82335.html

Face shields developed by Ford Australia begin prototype testing ahead of rollout

7 Apr 2020

By ROBBIE WALLIS

AFTER turning its design and manufacturing expertise to help combat the COVID-19 virus currently gripping the world, Ford Australia has developed the first prototypes of a face shield designed to assist frontline medical personnel.

Developed at Ford’s National Parts Distribution Centre in Broadmeadows, Victoria, the new shields are currently in the testing stage, with prototypes having already been delivered to several local hospitals for user trials.

The design for the face shields were developed in-house by Ford Australia’s design team, while working with a number of suppliers to source the materials.

Ford says it will be able to continue working at full capacity on its regular projects while making the face shields, and still intends to meet all milestones and deadlines originally set before the pandemic took hold.

The masks are not the same as the fabric surgical masks worn tightly around the mouth and nose and secured around the ears, but are rather a splashguard-type visor consisting of a clear plastic screen, foam padding for the forehead and a strap that fits around the head.

Speaking to GoAuto last month, Ford Australia president and CEO Kay Hart said Ford had been in discussion with the government on a range of initiatives that the Blue Oval brand could do to support the fight against COVID-19.

“We have been in contact with the government here and we’re actively working on how we could support them in all of their efforts in potentially a range of different ways,” she said.

“We have an amazing team of engineers, designers, innovators … a great amount of ‘brainpower’ here to support the cause in Australia.

“We could have a role to play from an innovation standpoint, engineering standpoint, manufacturing, assembly, we just have a great deal of skillset here with our Australian-based team, and also access to some great knowledge from around the world and from our point it’s a matter of sharing that knowledge that we’ve been able to get from our colleagues in the US and the UK.”

Ford Australia has also introduced a range of measures over the past week, including offering its 2nd Car program to frontline healthcare workers, who can access a Ford vehicle free of charge for a period of up to four weeks.

It has also revised its protocols for servicing vehicles, by allowing customers to have their car picked up and dropped off by Ford employees instead of going to and from a dealership.

Furthermore, when the car is dropped off following a service, Ford employees will also sanitise the car by disinfecting all touchpoints.

More details on the distribution and creation of the manufactured face masks are expected to come to light in around a week’s time.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #1264
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
So here is the problem with that.

A teacher will then need to maintain a physical class for half their students as well as an online class in real time for the other half.
Not really a problem at all if you look behind the scenes, teachers are coordinating the where some are allocated to in-class others online as a focus and both sets of teachers helping each other so it can and will be done in an organised way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Time will tell I guess. Glad you also come from a highly educated, English speaking family.
Just remember that not all are as smart or lucky as you.
? Um I do not claim to be highly educated nor does anyone in our family believe we are better than the next person. My / Our thinking is we respect and are nice to all people regardless.

As far as English speaking? why are we playing that card? we are in an English speaking country where we should all speak English or learn to speak English.

Lastly? Smart or lucky again we claim to be no smarter than anyone else and last time I looked in the mirror nobody in our family relied on the fortitudes of luck.

We simple double down and work hard for everything as many do without the need to put others down in the process and or complain or use the "woe is me type attitude"

In these difficult times, people can choose to moan about their lot in life or they they can choose to change the future by focusing on the positives and doubling down during these times and by that come out the other side stronger.

I will add if people need help with speaking English that there are plenty of people who will help. If People need some positive direction and or clarity, there are also plenty of people who will help. People just need to seek out and ask.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #1265
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Ford says it will be able to continue working at full capacity on its regular projects while making the face shields, and still intends to meet all milestones and deadlines originally set before the pandemic took hold.
So, are these being made in Australia? I didn't realise Ford had any manufacturing capabilities left? Or is this just a small-scale production, ie similar to what might be used for prototyping vehicles?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 08-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #1266
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not ideal but there are some positives.

Your family is closer.
You cook now.
You're concerned about your neighbour.
Crime rate is down.
Learned how to budget.
Pets are awesome.
Finally decided to read a book.
Home schooling
Buttplugs are half price on Amazon.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #1267
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Removed.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #1268
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Not to mention he shut down an entire logging/sawmill operation without even as much as a simple consultation. Dictatorial attitude may well be his undoing, some voters have long memories, unfortunately most labor voters are blind to their own bureaucratic imprisonment.
Too many people here in the PRV need to be told by government what to do, when and how to live.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #1269
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Removed.
Whatever. And conversely, there's too many people on here who think they know a lot more about what to do in this situation than the people who live in that world every working day of their lives.

Two sides of the coin.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 08-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #1270
marty351
Shenanigans..............

PRV = People's Republic of Victoria?
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1271
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No, the rather good engine chosen for Delorean cars.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #1272
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
So, are these being made in Australia? I didn't realise Ford had any manufacturing capabilities left? Or is this just a small-scale production, ie similar to what might be used for prototyping vehicles?
There are still facilities available to do prototype builds, and there is also an assembly line for the R spec Mustangs.

And considering how simple the face shields are there wouldn't be much involved in putting them together.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #1273
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I was informed, that the Highway Patrol in Vic, will be on the look out for cars driving with "Club plates".

Yes, you can still drive a car with club plates during this time, if you have one of the valid reasons for leaving home, and within the prescribed limitations of Club rego rules.

But you better make sure your logbook is filled out.

Out cruising 100Km from home, and stating you are going to the shops to buy food, just won't cut the mustard.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #1274
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the justification for not being allowed to just go for a drive without stopping anywhere?

Only logic I can think of is to perhaps reduce odds of accidents that could increase demand for resources but I certainly can't see how it could be to do anything with stopping the spread if you are by yourself.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #1275
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
What is the justification for not being allowed to just go for a drive without stopping anywhere?

Only logic I can think of is to perhaps reduce odds of accidents that could increase demand for resources but I certainly can't see how it could be to do anything with stopping the spread if you are by yourself.
Its simple really...

If you could "just go for a drive", then everyone with a car would automatically have a valid reason to leave home, which they don't want.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #1276
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Uhh- you need to fill your tank if you drive- that means exposure via the fuel pump handle to and from others, exposure via breathing and coughing while standing in line to pay, transmission when paying when dealing with person accepting payment, not to mention physical contact to effect payment if not touch and go, and taking receipt for petrol for tax reasons.

So just this step of filling up increases transmission. This does not include having to stop and use a facility for a piddle or poo, or being involved in a motor vehicle accident.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #1277
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yet I kept passing caravanner's on the freeway as I was back and forth to/from the quarry.
Where are these people going.

I few years ago while working in Coffs Harbour, we had major flooding which closed all the pacific hwy north, south and with the Waterfall way closed to the west. The park where I was staying stated there was nowhere travellers could get to due to flooding. Yet every morning of the 5 days the hwys were closed caravanner's would insist on leaving. Who knows where they ended up.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #1278
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yet I kept passing caravanner's on the freeway as I was back and forth to/from the quarry.
Where are these people going.

I few years ago while working in Coffs Harbour, we had major flooding which closed all the pacific hwy north, south and with the Waterfall way closed to the west. The park where I was staying stated there was nowhere travellers could get to due to flooding. Yet every morning of the 5 days the hwys were closed caravanner's would insist on leaving. Who knows where they ended up.

I’m on a few camping pages on book face and there’s a lot of grey nomads that are essentially homeless. They live full time in their caravans but are not allowed to camp anywhere.

Many are moving from one cAmp ground to another has they get told they can’t stay more than a day or two.
Some camp grounds have been permitted to take in these nomads but not all.

Then of course there’s the ones that think they’re exempt from any lockdown rules.
You see them all the time posting up ‘we have Easter weekend site booked, do you think we can still go?’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #1279
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Its simple really...

If you could "just go for a drive", then everyone with a car would automatically have a valid reason to leave home, which they don't want.
I understand that but what problem does it cause other than what I have highlighted for which I have not seen that explanation in anything published?

I'm only pointing this out that rather than just say it is not essential they actually explain the reasoning behind. That way perhaps they could get more buy in from the community.

I'm not talking about driving down the coast, but just around the local area. If it's something about social distancing then surely one or two people per car would be a fair compromise.

I'm not particularly worried about it I just don't understand why it has to be banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai
Uhh- you need to fill your tank if you drive- that means exposure via the fuel pump handle to and from others, exposure via breathing and coughing while standing in line to pay, transmission when paying when dealing with person accepting payment, not to mention physical contact to effect payment if not touch and go, and taking receipt for petrol for tax reasons.

So just this step of filling up increases transmission. This does not include having to stop and use a facility for a piddle or poo, or being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
You have to fill the car for essential travel anyway. Unless you're doing an excessive amount of joy driving, the risk is the same. If you're not stopping anywhere public, what is the additional risk?

I'm still driving to work so it is not any extra risk and would be for many people.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #1280
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand that but what problem does it cause other than what I have highlighted for which I have not seen that explanation in anything published?

I'm only pointing this out that rather than just say it is not essential they actually explain the reasoning behind. That way perhaps they could get more buy in from the community.

I'm not talking about driving down the coast, but just around the local area. If it's something about social distancing then surely one or two people per car would be a fair compromise.

I'm not particularly worried about it I just don't understand why it has to be banned.

You have to fill the car for essential travel anyway. Unless you're doing an excessive amount of joy driving, the risk is the same. If you're not stopping anywhere public, what is the additional risk?

I'm still driving to work so it is not any extra risk and would be for many people.
The idea is that it exposes the risk. The risk to accident and injury. That will see both parties interact with each other following a incident, emergency services have to deal with you, you may take up valuable space and resources at hospital that is otherwise reserved for this pandemic that was suppose to overwhelm the health sector (fake news). Increasing the likelyhood of more people being infected.

And even if it was around the block. Human nature will see those boundaries pushed. Around the block ends up been around the next block or next suburb, and soon enough everyone is driving around the streets.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #1281
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
The idea is that it exposes the risk. The risk to accident and injury. That will see both parties interact with each other following a incident, emergency services have to deal with you, you may take up valuable space and resources at hospital that is otherwise reserved for this pandemic that was suppose to overwhelm the health sector (fake news). Increasing the likelyhood of more people being infected.

And even if it was around the block. Human nature will see those boundaries pushed. Around the block ends up been around the next block or next suburb, and soon enough everyone is driving around the streets.
That is what I said is the only thing I can think of. But I have yet to see that in official messaging. So rather than say don't do it because it is bad, push that message.

For the record I am not out joy riding. In normal times I like to take a longer route on the way to do things that are now deemed to be essential on occasion, usually on a weekend.

Work and back and food these days. I have a home gym so don't need to go out for exercise.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #1282
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
As far as English speaking? why are we playing that card? we are in an English speaking country where we should all speak English or learn to speak English.

I will add if people need help with speaking English that there are plenty of people who will help. If People need some positive direction and or clarity, there are also plenty of people who will help. People just need to seek out and ask.
To be fair, it is a very relevant topic as there are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of non English speaking school children attending IELC's all around the country. Whilst I agree that we are an English speaking country and everyone should be able or learn to speak English, many of these children have had less than a whole term in these programs and therefore despite being fully prepared to learn, haven't had the time in the system to accomplish that.
Further to that, many of these children are refugee's who's parents are also non English speaking and have barely been here long enough to learn it themselves, I had quite a few kids on my bus who's parents attended English language courses whilst their kids we're doing the same.

Whilst I agree that there are avenue's to get help, many of these people are still dealing with trust issues due to their previous lives and so opening up to strangers for help is not always as easy as we would consider it.

Again, this is just the reality of the situation and driven by our desire for multiculturalism and giving those in need a chop out, this steady flow of immigration also helps prop up the property market so despite its challenges, it has its upsides..
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #1283
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What is the justification? There would be no justification in a Police State with Chairman Dan at the helm. You better watch out your not fined, thrown in a gulag and order to undertake a re-education or indoctrination program to understand who's in control and who's not.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #1284
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
What is the justification? There would be no justification in a Police State with Chairman Dan at the helm. You better watch out your not fined, thrown in a gulag and order to undertake a re-education or indoctrination program to understand who's in control and who's not.
I don't live in Victoria and all my travel is for essential reasons anyway. It's just not good enough to say it is bad mmkay.

While I can draw some reasonable logic behind the ban and so have stopped there are many other dickheads around the country who can't.

They shouldn't bother writing the ticket in the first place but if they fine me on the way to work or back, it will be withdrawn on appeal easily.

The only contention would be is when I'm going out for essentials and whether they accept that is what I'm doing or not but I stick to local area to buy.

I'm not driving across the city to do so and I think your odds of being stopped would be late at night or in the early morning anyway. Even with reduced traffic it would still be a lucky dip to pick that one person out during normal hours.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #1285
.:4:.
Kicking back

I dont know of anybody i know getting fined for unessential travel, but the police are cracking down on it. My apprentice got pulled up on his drive home yesterday arvo and asked to show his licence to prove his place of residence. It all lined up. He lives down in helensburg or woolengong or something, so why else be in work clothes to be on that stretch of highway. Yeah its a killjoy, but its proof the screws are clampening and we may have to just comply. The silly thing is why fine people who may be in financial hardship, but i guess if the make examples of enough people, people will be forced to comply.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #1286
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It's just too complex to draw up rules for every scenario, so blanket rules is what every govt around the world is handing down.

Instead of looking at it from your individual perspective, look at it from the govt perspective.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #1287
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Digital Supercars are live at the moment at Philip Island!

https://10play.com.au/bp-supercars-a...tpv200407muzbi
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #1288
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's just too complex to draw up rules for every scenario, so blanket rules is what every govt around the world is handing down.

Instead of looking at it from your individual perspective, look at it from the govt perspective.
I'm not looking at it from my own perspective at all if you look at what I have posted,

I don't agree they need complex rules on this but anyway I'm done arguing the toss on this subject. It makes no difference to my life anyway. I just think the messaging is lazy and could surely be more effective with little effort.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #1289
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said smoo
Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #1290
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't live in Victoria and all my travel is for essential reasons anyway. It's just not good enough to say it is bad mmkay.

While I can draw some reasonable logic behind the ban and so have stopped there are many other dickheads around the country who can't.

They shouldn't bother writing the ticket in the first place but if they fine me on the way to work or back, it will be withdrawn on appeal easily.

The only contention would be is when I'm going out for essentials and whether they accept that is what I'm doing or not but I stick to local area to buy.

I'm not driving across the city to do so and I think your odds of being stopped would be late at night or in the early morning anyway. Even with reduced traffic it would still be a lucky dip to pick that one person out during normal hours.
We're in for a heatwave in Perth this coming weekend. We're allowed to go to the beach, the Premier and Police Commissioner has requested people stick to social distancing, go out and enjoy themselves. I guess we're a great deal smarter here in WA and don't require a dictatorship regime implementing communist policies to control the sheep.
Closed Thread