Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Default What next?

Well...

My EF auto has had the following done to it over the last few years:

Decent amount of headwork (but not XR ex valves)
Wade 1521a & vernier
Pod in airbox
JMM Race series headers into 2.5" lukey mandrel
Chiptorque custom tuned chip
JMM 3000rpm stall
3.9 LSD

which netted me 150rwkw, and just last weekend a 15.06 @ 93.8mph pass, first time at the track, in total street trim.

I guess my question is: what next? I want more, faster, now. I feel that i could get more of the setup with some good tuning - but dont know where to take it in melbourne. Lachlan did the chiptorque but he didnt spent much time given the cash i spent on it -- it still has a rich, hunting cold idle.

Suggestions?

galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Get a unichip, and get it tuned by a reputable workshop (I got mine done at dynomotive and am very happy with the work they done, except the cold start, need to take it back still for that but i've been lazy), was the chiptorque tuned on a dyno? But before doing that i'd go a 6 throttle body manifold then get it all tuned at once. You could also try nitrous if you want to stay NA.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
old_mate
Smash the Boost

definately go the bigger exhaust valves, more compression wouldnt hurt

Never been sold on unichips and the like, look at the edit software

manual

Turbo

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
galapogos01
eec tweaker

i was ****ed about the ex valves at the time, but i needed the car back on the road. the compression was raised a fair amount (not sure of the exacts). i dont think i'd pull the head off just to change those.

the chiptorque was dynotuned at F1 motorsport in blackburn (Melbourne) by lachlan himself. he had about 10 other cars to do in 2 days, and i dont think a 6cyl fairmont was a priority next to some of the **** hot cars they had there! the chiptorque is an edit, its just the closed design that sucks, meaning noone can edit them bar lachlan.

should i get something a bit tougher cam wise?

id prefer to keep it auto at this stage...
Old 28-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
old_mate
Smash the Boost

fairenough

just have seen good results with 4ltr heads with as much done on the ex as possible.

copy Grechies motor. lol. You cant tweak up the timing on it can you? never played with coil pack varietys

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
Old 29-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

did you take the LPG mixer out for the drags?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
galapogos01
eec tweaker

yup.

any other ideas? anyone?

can anyone recommend a decent workshop to tune it?
Old 29-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Sundeep
Banned

Tickford snorkel, stally, shift kit and hi-flow cat?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Gunns
Banned

For all the moeny you are going to blow trying to get it right just to gain 1/2 a second, just put NOS on it and go for a 13 sec pass.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Tickford snorkel, stally, shift kit and hi-flow cat?
did you read the OP? :p i have the first 3. dunno how "high flow" my cat is; JMM mocked it when they fitted the extractors, saying it was too small. its probably clogged/burnt now from running too rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
For all the moeny you are going to blow trying to get it right just to gain 1/2 a second, just put NOS on it and go for a 13 sec pass.
bah. i dont want a quick pass. i want a quick daily.
Old 30-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #11
jjj

JMM would have put 2.5in flanges on the stock cat that has probably done high km's. Get a high flow cat fitted probably cost $250-$300 for a good magnaflow cat etc.

Get a lukey race muffler either straight through or with a 1/2in offset. The muffler you get with the off the shelf lukey cat back or Redback is basically crap compared to other lukey mufflers you can get.

Custom exhausts will outflow the off the shelf generic systems, it's just hard sometimes finding someone to spend the time and fit one up.

I got a custom system fitted on my EL fairmont. Went to 3 different shops before i found someone that would do it. tried out 6 different mufflers and was charged $150 less than a generic system. The gains were noticable over the 2 yr redback single muffler system.

Last edited by jjj; 30-06-2007 at 01:33 AM.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
galapogos01
eec tweaker

This is a couple pics of the old girl...

Old 30-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
JMM would have put 2.5in flanges on the stock cat that has probably done high km's. Get a high flow cat fitted probably cost $250-$300 for a good magnaflow cat etc.

Custom exhausts will outflow the off the shelf generic systems, it's just hard sometimes finding someone to spend the time and fit one up.
its not a stock ford cat, but jmm reckoned the stock ones would flow more than it. its pretty tiny. ill take a photo tomorrow if i can be arsed.

it'd be nice if that was holding back a bit of power, cause its easy enough to replace.

not so keen on changing the exhaust. i like the sound as is, even though its a bit too loud for me these days.

keep the tips comin.
Old 30-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos01
its not a stock ford cat, but jmm reckoned the stock ones would flow more than it. its pretty tiny. ill take a photo tomorrow if i can be arsed.

it'd be nice if that was holding back a bit of power, cause its easy enough to replace.

not so keen on changing the exhaust. i like the sound as is, even though its a bit too loud for me these days.

keep the tips comin.
Take a photo of your lukey muffler so i can see whether it's the cheap muffler they fit on all the generic off the shelf systems, does it have a big offset from entry to exit (6-8inches?).

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
Old 30-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #15
yahoo189

such a nice car... there was a build thread not that long ago for a Turbo. You can make them reliable. It would make a huge difference, and you could run it at a low boost so you did not have to do to much work on the engine...
Old 30-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Awesome looking car and it sounds mint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
EFFalcon
Last warning

theres gotta be more in that engine combo... its got everything to make it quick so many a tune is really all it needs.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj

Get a lukey race muffler either straight through or with a 1/2in offset. The muffler you get with the off the shelf lukey cat back or Redback is basically crap compared to other lukey mufflers you can get.

I got a custom system fitted on my EL fairmont. Went to 3 different shops before i found someone that would do it. tried out 6 different mufflers and was charged $150 less than a generic system. The gains were noticable over the 2 yr redback single muffler system.
who finally did your exhaust?
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
jjj

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
who finally did your exhaust?
This is the Exhaust shop, very good service.

http://www.mufflershop.com.au/?topic=about

cheers...
Old 30-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
Take a photo of your lukey muffler so i can see whether it's the cheap muffler they fit on all the generic off the shelf systems, does it have a big offset from entry to exit (6-8inches?).
it was definately a cheap off the shelf system. it is mandrel bent tho. it cost me $120 and i fitted it myself, then got a place to fit a new cat & lukey extractors. after deciding the lukeys sucked, i went to jmm. here's a pic. hard to see, but the offset is 6-8". its still quite loud for an off the shelf system.

here's a pic of the cat. once again, hard to get perspective, but those are 2.5" pipes - so the cat is only probably 4" wide. jmm said its the kind of cat they'd put on a 4cyl car. i thought they were just trying to sell me a new cat!

Old 30-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #21
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
did you read the OP? :p i have the first 3. dunno how "high flow" my cat is; JMM mocked it when they fitted the extractors, saying it was too small. its probably clogged/burnt now from running too rich.
Shttt sorrrrrrryyyy I tried to help man lol. I see stally and "pod in airbox" there, but no Tickford snorkel or shift kit man.

Sundeep
Old 30-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Shttt sorrrrrrryyyy I tried to help man lol. I see stally and "pod in airbox" there, but no Tickford snorkel or shift kit man.
yeah yeah, im not having a go. i have an electronic shift kit, and an AU s5 waiting to be fitted.

just compression tested it:

1 170psi
2 165psi
3 160psi
4 160psi
5 150psi
6 150psi

guess thats normal for an engine with 270k on it?
Old 30-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #23
Sundeep
Banned

Isn't it good?

Try also poo kicker mods like one range colder plugs, smaller gap and AU injectors. If nothing else that stuff improves fuel economy ;)

Sundeep
Old 30-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #24
old_mate
Smash the Boost

im afraid to do a comp test lol. Not sure how much variation is allowed but 20 psi seems a little high to me

You motor runs good at the front lol

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Old 30-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #25
galapogos01
eec tweaker

allowed variation is 10%... so i guess its ok. they always get gasket leaks around 5-6, i guess its the poor cooling causing more wear on the rings. i also tested it with the fuel pump relay in starting from cyl 1 so it could just be excess fuel in the cyl diluting the oil.

are au injectors worth it? same or less flow rate? im conscious of up the tune (not that its fantastic as it is). already run 1 range colder plugs for LPG. havent tried fckng with the gap tho.

what do you boys think of the cat, is it likely a restriction? if i can be assed i will unbolt the exhaust and try look thru it.
Old 30-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #26
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

im running au injectors on the au motor i just put in, and im getting amazing economy with NGK R spark plugs..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #27
galapogos01
eec tweaker

if the injectors flow less, your tune will be lean all over the range...

http://www.injectorsonline.com/indivprod.php?c=1

EL 185cc 18lbs/hr 37hp High $AUD 45.00 + GST
AU 205cc 20lbs/hr 41hp High $AUD 60.00 + GST

that says AU injectors flow more! go figure?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #28
galapogos01
eec tweaker

so does that cat look small to anyone?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #29
-jjM-
Banned

The cat might be you'r issue.

It does look a little on the small size but I couldent see it causing an issue to flow, I recon its more so to do with a clog then anything as the 4cyl cat wont be adequate enough to sustain the 6cyl engine's needs.

There for collapsing and acting as a clog.

But if its done that then the car would run like a bag of crap, only one way to find out tho.
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #30
EF_Frmnt
Banned

au injectors flow more. you will need a retune if you just wack them in.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post