Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
jedaa
Jedaa

Default Ea Ghia Air Suspension Help

I just bought a ea ghia with air suspension does
any one know anything about this how do u tell
if it is working . I only stumbled upon it on ebay
looking for parts for car I see a lot of needs air
suspension fixed etc.
Can u still lower ghia with king springs low etc.
I can not find anything on net in aussie about
ea eb ghia air suspension.
Thanks Paul.

jedaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have SLS, mine still works (One of the few).

1. Does it have the fuse for SLS in the fuse panel

If it does then it would beep if it doesnt work otherwise it's been removed and standard shocks/springs put in.

I have reset my SLS to low height and have king low front springs in my EA Ghia.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
EA Ghia

Air suspension was only with the Fairmont Ghia's yeh?

I'm pretty sure all it does is levels out your car when the rear end is weighed down (by a trailer or whatever). One way to see if your car has it, is to weigh down the boot with something (people?), and start the car. If you hear a weird whining noise and the rear end raises, it means you have the air suspension.

My car has had them removed, a pretty pointless aspect if you ask me, especially if you want to lower your car. I'm pretty sure that if you want lowered springs, you'd want to swap your shockers over as well (don't quote me on this though).

As for maintenance, I'd imagine that it would need regular service. I'd recommend you just put normal shockers in.
EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

air suspension Wow
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

I still have my SLS, and the sound the compressor makes is quite loud. I want to get rid of it though. It's simply way too soft.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

You can hear the compressor noise when you put on the ignition, it means you have SLS, but they are a pain as they stuff up very easy especially when towing. I had it in both of my EA Ghia, and DF LTD and the EA stuffed up the first time I towed and the LTD just driving. You will know when it is not working if "Check Suspension" comes up on the dash and the warning of the clock beeps. Note the compressor could still be pumping when it is not working. Thats because usally the air bag shockers burst or something and doesn't pump. So if the compressor is pumping and the car doesn't rise, it mean the shockers have burst. SLS is a light duty suspension and are not recommended for towing.
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
SLS is a light duty suspension and are not recommended for towing.
I disagree; in fact I understand it was primarily designed for towing so the car stayed level when a Caravan pr similar was attached. I still have mine working in both my Fairlanes. It is essentially just an air adjustable shock absorber system with a computer module on the chassis joined by a link to the diff that senses the ride height and pumps up or deflates the shockies accordingly.
Old 16-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Where are ya jedaa? If your in the eastern Subs. of Melb. I can help ya out as I know these systems inside out and know many tricks to get them going good cheaply using non gen parts and you can modify them to run in alowered position without ruining them.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
RayH
Starter Motor

Blownba, what's the trick for fixing the leaking compressor outlet valve on the top of the compressor? (The one with the rubber plunger and the spring.
Regards, Ray.
Old 17-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

The biggest thing is making sure that the tube is in good condition. If its sqaushed or grooved cut a little bit off and then make sure that the outlet clamp is spotless, no dirt and **** in there. It usally comes down to the plastic tube in most cases like I said cut a piece off and get a perfect end. Alot of the pressure line stuff can be bought from companies that make production line equipment or even total tool sell alot of stuff in their air compressor range.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post