Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Sapper
Back to the AU

Default What could this noise be?

I recently got 2 new front tyres on my car and ever since then (i think it only started after i fitted new tyres, but not sure) I have been hearing this noise under acceleration. The closest thing I can compare it to is the sound of galvanised sheet steel when it wobbles. At mate of mine reckons its nothing substantial but since I'm going to WSID next wednesday, i want to be sure. The sound is definately coming from the rear end of the car. I'm thinking its something rubbing but i can't see anything obviously wrong.

Has anyone come across this before? Any tips as to a cure as its not a cool sound at all.

Old 21-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

handbrake would be my guess
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

From the sound you described.....lol ,this is just a suggestion !, if you still have the disc/rotor protectors on , make sure 1 of them isn't bent and hitting the brake caliper as it spins with the wheel?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
From the sound you described.....lol ,this is just a suggestion !, if you still have the disc/rotor protectors on , make sure 1 of them isn't bent and hitting the brake caliper as it spins with the wheel?
LOL. Ya know, its probably true... I'll check tomorrow.
Old 22-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
AUTickford
XD197

Hey man if your back tyres are getting low they can transmit a fair bit of noise and make the car feel like crap. I would get that sorted before going to the drags coz u dont want something to go wrong. I know its hard but just hold off till u sort it.If the axle bearings are worn they can get noisy when loaded up, i worked at a transmission and diff place for a while and heaps of au falcons would come in for new diff bearings, mostly cop cars and taxis ba falcons were just starting to come in when i left.
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Sapper
Back to the AU

Thanks autickford, i'll keep an eye on that. The car's done less than 75 thou and the sound seemed to appear overnight so i'd be really disappointed if it was an issue with the diff or transmission. I had a quick look at the rotor protectors this morning and it looks like the back left is bent so i'll fix that up and see how i go.