Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: VFacts June 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Lack of product in the next few months will be the killer.. just tried buying tyres for the ute recently was a challenge when dealers were telling me out of stock with no eta... im sure this will be mirrorded in new car sales too in the following months
Shortages here don't necessarily mean that's a problem for imported vehicles,
we could see strong buying through to September but with tighter supply and
fewer discounts.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #32
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

RAM Trucks - 604
Chevrolet Silverado - 237

HSV's (Chevrolet and Colorado Sportscat) best result since Dec 2008 - 522

https://www.caradvice.com.au/862906/...-in-june-2020/

US pick-up sales in Australia surge in June 2020

Joshua Dowling
NATIONAL MOTORING EDITOR

Sales of the Ram 1500 and Chevrolet 1500 outpaced the rest of the new-car market and hit new highs as buyers bought a record number of full-size pick-ups from the US.

Sales of US pick-ups in Australia continue to go from strength to strength, with the Ram 1500 and the Chevrolet Silverado posting their best results since being introduced locally.

Ram Trucks Australia recorded its best monthly sales result since being established in Australia five years ago, with 604 vehicles reported as sold in June 2020, an increase of 130 per cent in a new-car market that was down by 6.4 per cent.

The Chevrolet Silverado also had its best month since the nameplate began being imported, remanufactured and distributed by Holden Special Vehicles five years ago, with 237 examples reported as sold, more than double the same month last year, according to a confidential dealer bulletin obtained by CarAdvice.

The importer and distributor of Ram Trucks Australia Neville Crichton said many dealers ran out of stock towards the end of the month.

“We could have sold more but we can't build them fast enough, we're selling every one we can get our hands on,” said Mr Crichton. “We have cars coming every month (from the US) but it's difficult to get any additional allocation because Ram is also doing so well in the US.”

A spokesman for Holden Special Vehicles, which distributes Chevrolet vehicles in Australia, said: “We're delighted with our sales across all model lines and we're now working overtime to source additional vehicles.”

It was the best monthly result for Holden Special Vehicles since December 2008, when sales of all Chevrolet models and remaining HSV Colorado SportsCats are combined (total 522).

The runaway success of US pick-ups in Australia has prompted Ram to consider importing the soon-to-be-released high-performance Ram TRX, a rival to the Ford F-150 Raptor.

Last week, Ram Trucks Australia told CarAdvice: “We’re interested in every new model from Ram. We are looking to expand our Ram business in Australia. Any vehicle that we can convert here, we will look at.”

Ram Trucks Australia is expected to roll out the new generation 'DT' series Ram 1500 (pictured below) in early 2021 – to sell alongside the current 'DS' series Ram 1500 Classic – once development work and crash testing on the locally remanufactured right-hand-drive model is complete.

Both the DT and DS series Ram 1500 pick-ups will be sold alongside each other in Australia and the US for at least the next two to three years, giving the brand two different price points.

In the meantime, Ford Australia says there are no plans to introduce the F-150 locally – either as a converted vehicle or factory right-hand-drive – and Nissan is still investigating ways to bring the Titan to Australia.

The current generation Toyota Tundra has all but been ruled out for Australia, but there may be a chance with the next generation due in a few years because it will reportedly be based on a new global platform. However Toyota Australia says while there is interest and a desire to sell the Tundra locally, nothing has been confirmed.

Meanwhile, the local Ram assembly line is running 24 hours a day, five days a week to keep up with demand. And there could soon be a shortage of the Ram 1500 and Chevrolet 1500 due to factory shutdowns in the US during the coronavirus crisis.

Both the Ram 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado 1500 are remanufactured in right-hand-drive to factory standards under the same roof in Melbourne – by the Walkinshaw Automotive Group, the parent company of HSV – and come with full factory warranty and support, full volume compliance for Australia, and have been crash tested locally to validate the extensive engineering changes.

A number of smaller independent companies that convert other brands of US pick-ups – such as the Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan – also reported strong sales and enquiries in June 2020.

However their data is not provided to the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries – and not officially counted among new-car sales – as they are not considered factory-backed operations, and the vehicles are not sold through mainstream showrooms in Australia.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #33
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow that's a good news story for the US pick ups.
RAM at 24hr production, 5 days a week and can't keep up with demand.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #34
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The first set of graphical stats has been uploaded to the Tech portal now.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stanger View Post
Yep June was a good month due to this, fleet sales for business, tax reasons.
Now expect lean times, no tax write off and not much supply coming through, are those factories in Thailand operating?

Instant asset write off has been extended to end of Dec 20. Hard to say if things will soften but I think most people will hold off doing much till Nov / Dec, we are still waiting to see a correction across the building sector etc, plus with whats going on in Victoria Australia is still in the dangerzone.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They're no Falcon and Territory though that's for sure, couldn't give a rats if it was designed here, still body on frame made out of maccas straws with wheezy diesel crapola engines.

Speaking from a long term ownership experience here I refute your claims.

My current Ranger Wildtrak is the best car I have ever owned. While its probably one of the slowest it does everything I want to do with ease, its quiet, well built, efficient, can go off road, sits on the road like a dream and makes me very happy.
7 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Lack of product in the next few months will be the killer.. just tried buying tyres for the ute recently was a challenge when dealers were telling me out of stock with no eta... im sure this will be mirrorded in new car sales too in the following months

Production is back up and running.

There are still cars available if you get on the phone and call around dealers.

Prices have increased simply because old stock is depleted and instant asset write off has changed peoples needs.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #38
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Segment Analysis for Quarter 2 is now uploaded.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Speaking from a long term ownership experience here I refute your claims.

My current Ranger Wildtrak is the best car I have ever owned. While its probably one of the slowest it does everything I want to do with ease, its quiet, well built, efficient, can go off road, sits on the road like a dream and makes me very happy.
You can't refute anything, you've just shown you accept and are happy with mediocrity at a high price.

It just does everything rather than a few things well and you're at that stage in your life where that matters and that's fine.

If you took away tax incentives from circa 15 years ago on these vehicles, would they be so popular? I doubt it.

I'd be interested in a comparison between 2019 vehicle sales data, looking at the top 10 and then looking deeper into private vs ABN holder purchases and see how it effects the numbers and what moves position when you analyse data further.

It would paint a clearer picture into Australian customers and their preferences broken down by tax incentives compared to no tax incentives.

Out of curiosity, what are F150 v Ranger sales in the USA? It would be interesting to see their sales breakdown in a market where both are being sold as factory options.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-07-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #40
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RAM owners in my caravan club are very happy with the Express and the Laramie....
Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You can't refute anything, you've just shown you accept and are happy with mediocrity at a high price.

It just does everything rather than a few things well and you're at that stage in your life where that matters and that's fine.

If you took away tax incentives from circa 15 years ago on these vehicles, would they be so popular? I doubt it.

I'd be interested in a comparison between 2019 vehicle sales data, looking at the top 10 and then looking deeper into private vs ABN holder purchases and see how it effects the numbers and what moves position when you analyse data further.

It would paint a clearer picture into Australian customers and their preferences broken down by tax incentives compared to no tax incentives.

Out of curiosity, what are F150 v Ranger sales in the USA? It would be interesting to see their sales breakdown in a market where both are being sold as factory options.
You bought a Colorado. Bit much complaining if you bought one yourself.

F series sold about 900,000. US Ranger was about 90,000. So about 10 to 1.

But Ranger just keeps growing over there. And 90,000 Rangers in the US is more than Hilux and Ranger combined here. Interestingly that F series sales have slightly increased since the US Ranger has gone on sale over there, so there has been no cannibalization of F series by Ranger.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #42
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The Supplementary Stats for the June quarter have been uploaded now.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

But Ranger just keeps growing over there. And 90,000 Rangers in the US is more than Hilux and Ranger combined here. Interestingly that F series sales have slightly increased since the US Ranger has gone on sale over there, so there has been no cannibalization of F series by Ranger.
In spite of plants being shutdown, US Ranger sales during the last quarter were 25,000 and F Series was 180,000.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
In spite of plants being shutdown, US Ranger sales during the last quarter were 25,000 and F Series was 180,000.
Ranger had a slow start, but has skyrocketed this year. Gone past Colorado and GMC Canyon, and is gaining on Tacoma, which has had big falls.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ranger had a slow start, but has skyrocketed this year. Gone past Colorado and GMC Canyon, and is gaining on Tacoma, which has had big falls.
Correct, last year Colorado was selling up around 14,000 in peak months but once Ranger sales started building, the Colorado's sales came back to around 8k a month. Word is that GM cut colours back to five .
Old 08-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

So when given the choice at the right price, people buy the F150 at a 10 to 1 ratio - proves my point really.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
So when given the choice at the right price, people buy the F150 at a 10 to 1 ratio - proves my point really.
Doesn't prove anything. The F series has been a mainstay as the most popular vehicle in the US for decades, and large pick ups dominate the market. Medium pick ups are a much smaller market.

We are not the US. We don't have dirt cheap petrol, nor an acceptance of such large vehicles. Not to mention the cheapest F series are ridiculously cheap over there, with base models starting for 28k. The cheapest Ranger is 24k, so there really isn't much of a price difference between them. So it's not hard to see why people just shell out a little extra to get the bigger F series.

The interesting thing about the Ranger in the US market is it has not impacted on F series sales one bit. F series had actually increased in sales after Ranger went on sale there, so there must be very few people cross shopping them. I have heard from the sales guys over there that there is generally little cross over of buyers. They either want a full size truck, or they solely want a medium one. It's generally not one considering either of them.

It's pretty much the same with Chevrolet and GMC, but interestingly it's different with Toyota, with the medium Tacoma outselling the Tundra by about 2 to 1.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials