Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
marcusturbo

Angry Rear Brakes

I am changing the pads all round and got the front down without any hassles.

I got to the rear and then spent all afternoon messing around trying to get the caliper off then screw the piston back in.

First main trouble was that I could not get the pads to go back in so that I could get the caliper off. I tried everything to get some movement and nothing was working. Small levers, big levers, pushing the pad and opening the bleed screw and a few other things but nothing was working. Eventually I just pushed on the outside pad and forced them over the small lip at the edge of the disc.

I then got stuck trying to get the piston to wind back in. I got it moving quite easily but then the piston was just turning and not moving back in. I was just using a small set of pliers but the trouble was that it wasn't moving back in. Eventually I screwed the piston out and then back in and it just did what it was suppose to do ages ago. Not having done this type of piston/caliper before, is the piston on an actual screw thread or what.

In the end I have managed to get it all back together and have the joy of the other side tomorrow. Think I need to have a look at the handbrake cable as the handbrake doing very little now.

Just for info; 60000kms

Front pads were down to just less than 50% used, discs on were good shape with little wear.

Rear pads were virtually gone only a few mm's left, discs measure in at 10mm thick so 50% left.

I have bought EBC pads all round, just their normal Ultimax ones.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Hulsty

Default Re: Rear Brakes

No brake calliper pistons are "screw in" they are just a smooth piston, can be pushed straight back in.

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/us...KE-CALIPER.jpg
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Default Re: Rear Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
No brake calliper pistons are "screw in" they are just a smooth piston, can be pushed straight back in.

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/us...KE-CALIPER.jpg

please dont give advice if you don't know.

rear caliper pistons on newer mondeos and focus's must be screwed back in and pressure applied whilst doing so. It is only if the discs have handbrake shoes inside that this is not the case. It has nothing to do with a caliper piston being smooth.
why you linked a land rover disco 2 front part number I'm not sure?
Disco 2 has a transmission brake just behind the transfer box so has a rear caliper that operates like a front one does of just in and out. Disco 3 has shoes inside the rear discs that are electronic same as range rover sport and newer full size rangie...but that's landrovers.

front calipers are not the same as rear calipers when the handbrake operates the calipers -99% of the time they screw back in with pressure and rotation. Just pushing back in will get you no where. You can if they aren't too stiff, rotate with pliers and push it back at the same time but you can just buy a piston wind back tool instead.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brake+wind+back+tool&hl=en&safe=vss&clien t=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S21SUO 6DL4qziQeXqYH4Ag&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672# biv=i|3;d|DVb7H6dJsW_hbM:

Be warned - some fords have right hand thread for one side, left hand thread for the other....can't remember if Mondeo has this as its been a while as I tend to only to focus RS and xr5s now but you will know as it just won't turn at all if your trying the wrong way.

PS if your rear pads were stuck that badly on your discs lip, it's time for new discs. Your handbrake isn't working properly as the pistons are extended as far as they can it sounds like. + you've probably drawn some air in when you've opened the bleed nipple so bleed your rear brakes up.