Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
mustickman
Starter Motor

Default What have i done?

Hi guys long time reader first time poster.

I own a 2006 Fiesta and i left the lights on the other day so i went to jump start it from my other car and i accidentally put the leads on the wrong way..
What damage may have i done? i cannot start the car now even with a fully charged battery, the immobilizer light flicks fast when i turn the ignition off, so im thinking that it is stopping me from starting the car. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Shayne.

mustickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
InnerDevil
Owner Of The Evil ST

not sure if this is right or not, found it on yahoo answers

Quote:
Basically by doing that you send an overload through the electrical system, by way of the negative terminal. Depending on how long the cables were hooked up, she may have fried the CPU. Usually something starts smoking or melting by then though. Definately take it to a shop, familiar with Hondas, there may be a breaker in place designed to prevent damage that simply needs to be reset. My freind did it in a 94 civic once, and all it did was blow an auxillary fuse to the heat or radio or something, but it was only hooked up wrong for a couple seconds, but the car started. good luck.
as the guy said take it to the ford dealer (or call a mobile mech), and see if the chip has fried, or if the the fuse has blown ???

GL buddy, i'd hate be in yr shoes atm
Panther Black

17" Lenso Type M ~ Wrapped w/ Falken Tyres
Pedders Sports Ryder Lowered Springs
St Rear Spoiler
InnerDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
fiestars

out of curiousity does your fez have a warning when u dont switch off the lights? with mine its almost impossible to leave the lights on as the warning tone is irritating i think it could be wat innerdevil just mentioned hopefully ford put a fuse.
Good luck
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
mustickman
Starter Motor

you know what, it does have a warning and i have no idea how i left them on.. oh well. yeah i just have to hope it has a fuse.. does anyone know if it does or not?
mustickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why I refuse to help my neighbor jump start her car, because they wouldn't let me put the cables on and didn't know what they were doing so I told them to buy a decent car!

Not good news through fella. I did this once to my parents Land Cruiser, killed the radio, we put new fusers in but that did nothing. Luckily the radio was just about the only thing that was electric inside, so not much else could go wrong. The way cars are these days it could be quite serious.
Old 30-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

If it is the CPU, I have a spare, new they are $1100 from Ford...

I would just need to know the numbers off the side of the unit to make sure they match (which if your car is an 06 should be right)

Does sound like you have fried the CPU though, and the car is in limp mode or worse...

Cheers
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
WPN XR6T
Useless

Before it get too expensive, try a new battery. You may have collapesed a Cell in your current one, and thats why the electrics are going haywire. Don't just try and jump it, replace the whole battery, or use a mates.

Cheers,
Matt

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
porkoman
I want the fastest fiesta

hi im a mechanic who used to work for ford and now mitsubishi, fiat and alfe romeo any way i have had a customer who did that and the bloo the main fuses that are directly off ur battery on the positive side they might be blown on urs.
porkoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post