Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Talldude

Default Ford Push type Clips

Hey all

Just a word of advice to all who do their own work on the car......

After I changed my shock to ST170 ones I had notice I did a crap job undoing a few clips in the trim.

I have left the trim half done up (yes I am that lazy) for a while but when I was trying to fit a ST170 snorkel I had noticed it was held in by the same push clip.

I rang Ford to find out how much a clip was, because I needed 5. They quoted me $4.54, I thought okay for all 5 then he said no.

EACH! OUCH!!!!

here is the little bastard

So I went on eBay and found 25 clips being sold in a box, with shipping all together came to $21.

I bought it, and lucky I did because I f@@@@d up the push clip for the snorkel hahahaha. If I was to pay Ford for 6 it would of ended up costing me $27.30!!!!!!!

Now I have a fair few spare just "in case", for next time. Seems there are fair few bits held by the same clip.

btw here is a link to the type. I am sure there are many others out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...928027&guest=1

So my advice find out the part number from ford and look it up elsewhere to find cheaper alternatives.

Anyone else had similar issues/fixes?

With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hahaha yes! Those are called scrivets.

Good find on ebay. I have stacks of those on my XR5!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've bought them from the Ford dealer before but no where near as expensive. I think he may have quoted you for a bag, because they are not sold individually. They are sold in plastic bags of about 5 or 6

It's been a couple of years since I got some, so maybe things have changed, but I remember thinking one of the cheaper parts from Ford
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Talldude

Yeah I was shocked when they quoted that price.

But he assured me it was just for one.

quote from Ford spare parts dude. "do you really want or need 1 for $4.54?"

BTW that was Ford Spare parts Arncliffe Sydney.
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
entheos

Yeah you can pick up a small packet of these (maybe 10 or so) for a few $$$'s at supercheap...from memory they were about $2-$3 for the pack...I noticed them a while back...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have plenty of those at work

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
melbzetec

Here's 25 for $6

http://spedefasteners.com.au/index.aspx?cid=5&scid=33
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldude
Yeah I was shocked when they quoted that price.

But he assured me it was just for one.

quote from Ford spare parts dude. "do you really want or need 1 for $4.54?"

BTW that was Ford Spare parts Arncliffe Sydney.
No offence, but many of the spare parts guys are not the sharpest tools in the shed. He may well have seen "1 unit" on his computer screen, but my understanding is you have to buy a bag of them.....they are not sold as single units. So "1 unit" may mean "1 unit" of a bag of them

Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Talldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
No offence, but many of the spare parts guys are not the sharpest tools in the shed. He may well have seen "1 unit" on his computer screen, but my understanding is you have to buy a bag of them.....they are not sold as single units. So "1 unit" may mean "1 unit" of a bag of them

Probably..............

I rang in the afternoon got a different dude, same response $4.54 each......

Maybe it is that spare parts department or the water........
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Man I hate those damn clips.

I know you can buy em individually at Spectrum Rubber out at St Mary's here in Sydney but knowing those guys, they wont be cheap.

The 25 for $6 sounds like a good buy Steve.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

they're actually quite easy to remove & re-use...as demonstrated here. i saw think like a while back, doesn't take much to get used to .
once in a while you get one that is just stuck, but not often

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Talldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
they're actually quite easy to remove & re-use...as demonstrated here. i saw think like a while back, doesn't take much to get used to .

Bloody hell is that how your suppose to do it!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
Except that guy snapped the split part doing that...

Far easier to use a philips head and 'unscrew' them. Just gotta get the right pressure between downward force and turning and they will screw right out. I haven't ever had an issue getting them out that way...then use fingernail/flathead under the base part of it...
Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
Except that guy snapped the split part doing that...

Far easier to use a philips head and 'unscrew' them. Just gotta get the right pressure between downward force and turning and they will screw right out. I haven't ever had an issue getting them out that way...then use fingernail/flathead under the base part of it...
didn't look split to me, and in any case...i've used this technique many times 100% succesfully, and never made it work unscrewing with a phillips head.

each to their own i guess, as long as we can reuse these stupid things

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post