Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #241
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Boags Premium as a volume seller.

Mildura brewery - Mallee Bull as a boutique beer.
Old 17-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #242
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Smile

Must be Saturday night. I am writing more rubbish than normal.

So here's my 2c for when you visit Oz.

We have a million beers here. We love the stuff. Stay a while if you want to sample them all. Generally much stronger than that coloured water they label as beer over there.

Tooheys is a NSW beer, easy to drink, tastes OK but not premium. Good every day beer. Cheap but not nasty. If its got a STAG on it it as well it costs more but I actually prefer the Tooheys New/Draught. Not a fan of their Dry beers either.

Here's a few more of my 2c

Low carb beers seem to be beers favoured by young blokes who like to watch their weight but when I drank Pure Blondes I put on 6 kilograms. Does not work for old blokes. Especially when you drink 3 times as many because it is low carb and the only real exercise is getting up for another beer. Or flicking the remote. Yeah low carb beers are useless.

Now I reckon a lot of you young blokes don't know what a proper beer tastes like anyway and go for the image more than the taste. Why else would you swap brands every 5 minutes?

Now if you want proper beer taste try Resches Dinner Ale. Nothing better on a hot day then a DA in a chilled glass. Well it was when you could still buy it - up unitl mid 2007.

Resches Pilsner is another great tasting beer but it must have something in it. All my mates and both my brothers love it but do not drink it because it "calls" you in the middle of the night.

You wake up and at 3am feel like another Reschs Pilsner. Some of us actually went to the fridge and had one. At 3am. When we compared notes we gave it up. Some say its arsenic. Dunno whats actually in it but we all had the same problem. Tyr it but not too many.

My top 10 bottled local beers to try when you visit:
Hahn Premium Lager. Oz's best beer IMO Drink form cold glass. Never from the bottle.(NSW)
Cascade Premuim Lager (Tas)
Steinlager (Eastern Isles)
Corona on an hot day. Lime not lemon. So ubiquitous that its almost local
Coopers Sparkling Ale (South Aussie)
Crown Lager (Vic) Allegedly what you know as Fosters. Not sure
Carlton Draught (Vic)
Melbourne Bitter (Vic)
Cascade Premium Light (Tas)
Tooheys Flag Ale. First beer I ever tasted. Unfortunately they have not sold it for about 40 years. Bring back the nostalgia!

Drink XXXX Gold if you are in for a 12 hour session. Tastes like water but goes down Ok. A bit like Yankee beer. After a while you don't notice the lack of taste. Used to drink it when I lived in Qld Tropics. You stay reasonably sensible all day. Kinda.

I refuse to drink VB. I leave that for people who like to litter their cans and bottle everywhere. They drink it if there's no Bundy around. Now I bet that provokes some response and the scary thing people on VB like to fight.

And nobody here drinks Fosters Lager.

Well none who would own up to it.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #243
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Barons Black Wattle Ale.

If you don't like it you don't like beer.

Oh and being Victorian I say all Tooheys is crap.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #244
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #245
bingoTE50
Steve

pretty much agree with Walt.....I used like the Resches Export Lager....I think they became Crownies but the taste differed to me..Silver Bullets were fantastic and anything that was $19.90 a carton ,like Powers was when the Broncos joined the NRL...man that stuff was good for a headache...lol..
Didn't mind Black Swan either....
My first drink as a seventeen year old was KB on tap at Woodburn hotel on the North Coast...drank nine schooners and spewed up nineteen.. : .lol....you been drinking son....nahh mum...a bad pie...didn't really fool the old girl..a ex Balmain barmaid...lol :togo:
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 05:31 AM   #246
Texas f-150

speaking of fosters i dont know if yall have erver seen the ads for their us campaign "how to speak australian"
its pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgSa9djYU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQiz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzpq...eature=related
Old 18-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #247
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You people MUST get out and try the Trappist brews...

They are simply hard to beat...expensive (up to 12 bucks a bottle 330ml) but worth it.
Not everyday drinkers either.
You have one, you've had enough.
Real beer.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #248
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I love Tooheys, its all i drink, extra dry to be precise!
Old 18-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #249
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

Mildura brewery - Mallee Bull as a boutique beer.
Mallee Bull is now available at liqourland thought you might want to know

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #250
earlybirds
driven rarely ...

tooheys pilsner for me :sm_drool:
earlybirds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #251
BA Baracus
xls

Having a stag on it could make it any tooheys, most prominent on white stag but there's a stag and on 'em all.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #252
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only Tooheys beer I buy is the Platinums and that's for reasons that don't really need to be explained other than you get nearly 16 standard drinks for not much more than $20. Bang for buck :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #253
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas f-150
i think thats how its spelled, any way i found myself at this pub that had it , and it had a stag on it and was from the land of OZ, but i was proper drunk already and dont remember it is it a good brew over there:?
Tooheys new is ok but gives me a huge hangover, try VB its the best beer ever made..
drinking some of the beers mentioned here would make me feel like I was drinking chardonnay in oxford street
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #254
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Barons Black Wattle Ale.

If you don't like it you don't like beer.

Well played sir.......tooheys is rubbish.....will drink Tooheys extra dry if there's nothing else on offer....that at least is drinkable...
Old 18-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #255
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
So, firstly, let me state, this isn't a thread about getting smashed.

Ever since I was a wee tacker, I've had a dream. A modest dream, but a dream nonetheless. That dream was to enjoy as many different beers as possible.

So, without any further rubbish, I present to you, the AFF BEER THREAD!

I'd like to start with a personal favourite of mine..

Boags St George
I find this to be one of the easiest beers to drink, while maintaining a pleasant, strong flavour. Good value too, at around $15 for a six pack. Goes well with food, in my humble opinion. 8/10. Any other fans? Anything similar? Post up some suggestions!

Another good one is Sol - I was a bit hesitant, as anything Mexican (read - LS1) has quality issues. Regardless, it turned out to be a fantastic tasting beer. Really really good, much better than Corona.
My favourite 2 beers aswell ! , Nice beer that tassy boag, although I like the Sol with a slice or 2 of lime in it ( a yuppie beer ) . Cartlon Draught from the tap being my main pub/bar beer.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #256
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Trappist beers are VERY agreeable. Chimay is my favourite.

Tried a few Flensburger Pilsners at a little German restaurant in Coffs Harbour on holiday recently. Absolutely beautiful stuff, every sip was an absolute joy.

Also tried a few bottles of Floris Fraise http://www.beerstore.com.au/detail.asp?beerID=171. A strawberry wheat beer, very different, but INCREDIBLY easy to drink, as you would expect. Trust the Belgians to do something like that.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #257
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hmm, I'm new to this whole "alcohol" thing as I just turned 18 last month (and I still haven't done anything an 18 year old can do yet) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some nice tasting beer based on what I like?

These are the beers I've tried and like:

Becks
Carlton Cold
Chimay (with the blue label)

I've never been so interested in Coles brochures in my life haha, but I noticed some beer called "Ice Beer", it comes in a blue box with a mountain on it, has anyone had this before? The box looks pretty good. Also, does beer go off? Dad has some crownies in the garage which look rather old, are they safe to drink?

I noticed in an Aldi catalogue they had these things called "Pilsners" which were $40 for a slab but come in 500ml cans which looks like good value, whats the difference between Pilsner and normal beer?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #258
RAMD67

While over in Italy I tried Fosters just for a laugh....surprisingly it tasted pretty good. As per what Walt said it did have a resemblance to Crown Larger. I’m not sure if they brew it differently for overseas markets but I haven’t tried Fosters back here yet to compare…I can’t even think of a place that sells them?

Now to do some more market research
Old 22-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #259
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beer is really up to you..

My taste is as follows:

I wont walk past a Tooheys New but i really dont like Tooheys White Stag or Extra dry or any of the other tooheys really.. I like Stella Atois but i dont like Becks. I like Corona and Sol(mexican) Sing'ha, Chang, Tiger(most thai beers)

Also That new Toohey's 5 Seeds cider is actually pretty good

i also loathe VB, XXXX(that stuff is disgusting) and alot of the other cheaper beers. Cheap foreign beers tend to be better then then VB/XXXX/MB etc but they still arent that great.
Carlton Cold is good, Heineken is good, Lowenbrau is alright, every time i've drunk Fosters it was pretty good, i dont like crown lager, i dont like cascade

But yeah my usual is just good old New its well priced, goes down well but it's not so smooth that you'll drink a whole case in a night. I mix my drinks usually a big night out is Newx4>JD+cokex4>Coronax2>insert missing drink>Newx4 and them im pleasantly happy. Can't stand drinking the same thing all night so it's good for me.

Last edited by Fev; 22-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #260
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Trappist beers are VERY agreeable. Chimay is my favourite.

Tried a few Flensburger Pilsners at a little German restaurant in Coffs Harbour on holiday recently. Absolutely beautiful stuff, every sip was an absolute joy.

Also tried a few bottles of Floris Fraise http://www.beerstore.com.au/detail.asp?beerID=171. A strawberry wheat beer, very different, but INCREDIBLY easy to drink, as you would expect. Trust the Belgians to do something like that.
Hmmm, strawberry style beers are bad for you peuty.....because you end up drinking too much. They just go down so nice....

I had some Blue Tonge lager recently...as opposed to their pilsener. Wasn't bad, nice and fresh and i think well suited to the warmer weather. Have to go raid the beer corner at First Choice Toowong again....see what they have that is interesting.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #261
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Trappist beers are VERY agreeable. Chimay is my favourite
La Trappe (best bang for buck by a country mile of the Trappists) has just released a limited edition. Isid'or, brewed to commemorate the brewery's 125th Anniversary. I get the feeling you'll appreciate it more than others...

I will try the Floris Fraise sometime...but my heavens, it's pricey for such a light drop...

Might see what Purvis sell it for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
try VB its the best beer ever made
Depends on your definition of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
drinking some of the beers mentioned here would make me feel like I was drinking chardonnay in oxford street
Beer IS to be appreciated like a fine wine. Most people here only ever have Lagers, and really, that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to flavouring everything there is out there.

Lagers are great on hot days, but MUST be consumed when icy cold, and are not great in winter.

Some darker ales are actually better when warm because a greater depth of flavour comes out.

Also, very few beers mentioned here are like Chardonnay. Their image is classy, but all the brewery has done is squeezed the bladder of a leprous cat and tacked a high price on the bottle so make it appear prestigious. Crown Lager anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
Yeah low carb beers are useless.
I'll drink to that! :baby bott :sm_headba

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #262
Paxton
Cobblers!

Has anybody tried the new Coopers 62 Pilsner?

I'm almost tempted to try a six pack over the weekend. It will have to be good to sway me from James Squire's however. If you haven't had JS Pils brewery fresh, you're missing out.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #263
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Has anybody tried the new Coopers 62 Pilsner?

I'm almost tempted to try a six pack over the weekend. It will have to be good to sway me from James Squire's however. If you haven't had JS Pils brewery fresh, you're missing out.
JS pilsener brewery fresh...stop taunting andrew!! I had it on tap with a nice steak not long ago...very happy with it. JS Ale wasn't bad either...i even had a JS lager which i wasn't familiar with.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #264
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Agree - the Floris Fraise is very expensive from the shop, but surprisingly, the restaurant we had it in was selling it for $7 a bottle. Very reasonable I thought. But by god it's delicious.

Will have to try the LaTrappe limited run. Thanks for the tip.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #265
rodderz

Last weekend me and the missus were over in Adelaide for a wedding, the first night we stayed in hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills. Nice place, with a lot of German heritage.

Friday night we went for some brews at Grumpy's Brewhaus, they are renowned for nice brewed beers done in house. They had a stout, an ale, pilsener and a honey beer, tried a pint of each over dinner. Not bad, although I reckon there could be a bit more flavour to be had if the malt sugar content was higher (alc percentage was 3.8%).

Next day I bought a dozen Lowenbrau Oktoberfest stubbies that are brewed in Munich each year for Octoberfest, not a bad drop either, very nice ale. Plan to go back again and sample some more, before crawling home again. Pub has a great range of german food too, all the wersts, kransky, sauerkraut etc.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #266
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Well guys some mates came over for a bit of poker on Sat night and so we did a drink run on sat arvo and i picked up a few beers of course.

Split a carton of my fav. little creatures with a couple of mates, but also nabbed two 'taste tests'.

First was Coopers Extra Strong Vintage ale. The stuff is 7.5% alcohol and is apparently conditioned 5 years. I tell ya it was like drinking a steak dinner!!! Ludicrously strong flavour (i like my heavy flavoured beers...so i'm not a ligthweight in this dept) but surprisingly the high alcohol content was not that noticable. Good bit of sediment in the bottom too....Very enjoyable but strictly one at a time number.

The other was a Leffe blonde style beer (from belgium) Very expensive and frankly, very overated IMO. A workmate recomended it because he knows i'm no fan of blonde style beers and said it would 'convert me'. It didn't. Although better than the usual blone rubbish it is still very uninspring and fundamentally flat. I'm sorry if I offend any blonde drinkers out there but it really is a uninspiring beer style IMO.

One of the guys brought over a 'low carb' blonde beer (you know the brand...can't remember but its everywhere...) and by god it was horrid. Its clear i'm becoming much more of a beer snob over time but honestly, this stuf had been in his fridge for a few weeks (but doubt that was the cause) and it was offensive. For the first time ever i couldn't finish a stubby of beer...and i was halfway to happiness at this point. And i thought carlton cold was bad...... :

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 27-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #267
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
The other was a Leffe blonde style beer (from belgium) Very expensive and frankly, very overated IMO. A workmate recomended it because he knows i'm no fan of blonde style beers and said it would 'convert me'. It didn't. Although better than the usual blone rubbish it is still very uninspring and fundamentally flat. I'm sorry if I offend any blonde drinkers out there but it really is a uninspiring beer style IMO.
European Blondes are different to those girly low-carb urine-flavoured 'beers' that are all the craze today (for those that like them).

Leffe Blonde is not the pinnacle of the Leffe range. In fact, like the Brown, I generally do not enjoy it all that much.

Both Radieuse and Vieille Cuvee are far nicer and have a fuller body (which is natural, given both are meant to be more flavoursome).

La Trappe Blonde is far nicer for the price than Leffe Blonde, though they are also different in their own respects. I find La Trappe far sweeter and lighter.

"Pure Blonde" is not a blonde beer. That's a marketing name. It's low carb. I prefer to drink tap water. Cheaper, and I reckon tap water has more flavour.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 27-10-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 27-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #268
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
European Blondes are different to those girly low-carb flavoured-urine beers that are all the craze today.

Leffe Blonde is not the pinnacle of the Leffe range. In fact, like the Brown, I generally do not enjoy it all that much.

Both Radieuse and Vieille Cuvee are far nicer and have a fuller body (which is natural, given both are meant to be more flavoursome).

La Trappe Blonde is far nicer for the price than Leffe Blonde, though they are also different.

"Pure Blonde" is not a blonde beer. That's a marketing name. It's low carb. I prefer to drink tap water. Cheaper, and I reckon tap water has more flavour.
Yes, tap water would have had more flavour. I haven't had a beer that flat since i was given a Cascade premium light...that really was water (but a very nicely flavoured pure tamanian water....)

As i said, maybe blonde is just not for me. Maybe i will try another one to see but i just dont' see the appeal. I really couldn't be bothered paying the somewhat high prices when i could spend it on beer styles i atcually like...... I did see the La Trappe Blonde in the fridge though...hmm maybe i will go back tomorrow arvo....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 27-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #269
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Yes, tap water would have had more flavour. I haven't had a beer that flat since i was given a Cascade premium light...that really was water (but a very nicely flavoured pure tamanian water....)

As i said, maybe blonde is just not for me. Maybe i will try another one to see but i just dont' see the appeal. I really couldn't be bothered paying the somewhat high prices when i could spend it on beer styles i atcually like...... I did see the La Trappe Blonde in the fridge though...hmm maybe i will go back tomorrow arvo....
La Trappe is ONLY sold in Coles outlets (inc. Liquorland, Vintage Cellars etc.)
Dan Murphy's, BWS etc. (Woolworths owned) do not stock it.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 27-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #270
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
La Trappe is ONLY sold in Coles outlets (inc. Liquorland, Vintage Cellars etc.)
Dan Murphy's, BWS etc. (Woolworths owned) do not stock it.
Hmm i was in a first choice. They are coles group affiliated to my knowledge (unless my eyes were playing tricks on me...).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....