Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #91
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
It isn't a high priority issue for me mate, I'm calling it out for what it is, legalised theft.
There are better ways of improving driver behaviour than committing acts of petty larceny.

Perspective... I take the train to work now as a result of the deteriorating level of driver skill and the threat they pose to the few left that are attentive and drive to the conditions and to their abilities. I value my life enough to keep clear from the rolling hazard the daily grind has become.
I agree with LN, impounding/confiscating/selling the car doesn't prevent the dangerous behavior from continuing The "hoon" will just buy a **** box or something better if they are wealthy enough and continue to offend and possibly kill someone later on. Even if they loose their licence for life they would be of the moral fibre type that would think **** it and drive anyway.

Just like speed cameras don't prevent people from speeding and they don't stop the crash that occurs from speeding. If it that much of a criminal offence and that much of a concern to the general public then there is a greater emphasis in personal and general deterrence, ie, gaol time and it increases with each offence.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #92
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
It isn't a high priority issue for me mate, I'm calling it out for what it is, legalised theft.
There are better ways of improving driver behaviour than committing acts of petty larceny.

Perspective... I take the train to work now as a result of the deteriorating level of driver skill and the threat they pose to the few left that are attentive and drive to the conditions and to their abilities. I value my life enough to keep clear from the rolling hazard the daily grind has become.
Have to agree with you on that.

So much effort, as far as policing, goes into enforcing something by definition and agreement from those who don't agree with what you are saying, which in the end is just anti social behaviour?

It isn't drug dealing, nor theft or bashing or murder. A lot of effort goes into enforcing something that is based more on annoyance than what is actually and statistically and actually dangerous?

Why? Because it is easy, a good money spinner and appears in the eyes of many, great in appearing to control a small minority. Appearing to do the right thing.

Yes, some are complete morons. This bloke seems to be as he has 3 hits. Does the punishment fit the crime?

So many people are out and about on the streets for worse. You hear it all the time and see it also in many places around town. I have spoken to police and they know who does what where and to whom but its a case of "Oh he just got out, well known as a trouble maker/deal in drugs/violence etc" They live by a swinging door system, in and out, bail or suspended sentence, too young, in the scene, permanent problems to society.

BUT ..... give the wheels a chirp, do 70 in a 60 zone at midnight ....you are targeted as the bad egg in society. The easy catch, hand over some money, loose some points and if you do it again we will be onto you.

Meanwhile ..........?

To say, "That is the law so abide by it ..... " is a bit of a throwaway line. It is a Billion dollars business backed by those thinking they are perfect. The city is a mine field to drive these days. Meanwhile, there are places you wouldnt walk at night but chirp those wheels ........

Thats my take on it. Yes, deserved to be slapped ...... but really not punched in the face and then kicked in the face while down when there are others than deserve it but the system doesnt allow it. Too hard basket?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #93
icecold84

Agree pub247, it's ridiculous. Get caught drink driving 3 times and have an interlocker, 3 times hooning on a back road with no other cars and it gets sold, what a joke.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #94
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold84 View Post
Hoon laws ridiculous IMO, and no I'm not under 30 years of age...
And I agree too and I'm long past 30, the hoon laws don't address the issue.

180 isn't the issue, stick your hand up if you you would feel comfortable ploughing into the front of a road train at 80 kph at legal speed, no one would. Whether it's 80, 110, 130 180, 200 the end result is all the same, the problem is inattention at any speed that causes accidents/deaths or plain and simply dangerous/reckless behaviour, both of which need education.

I'd rather have the guy go past me at 180 kph in his nice modern car on a straight road than have him go past me at 80 kph whilst texting..!!!!!!!
Old 28-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #95
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll give you an example of a crap justice system, I know, I've been in it for the last 15 years.

The offender in this post gets his car sold off and looses his licence for life, for his 3rd strike and doing 180 kph.

I have personally seen an 8 time drink driver who hit and killed a cyclist and threw him 70 metres, get four years goal and a five year licence disqualification.That was some time ago and the offender is back out on the streets.

Parity, no! Great disparity!!
Old 28-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #96
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And I agree too and I'm long past 30, the hoon laws don't address the issue.
I cannot remember 30!!!!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #97
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I cannot remember 30!!!!
Haha, me too, too much Scotch has flowed under the bridge since then!!
Old 28-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #98
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I cannot remember 30!!!!
Alzheimer's setting in early eh?
Old 28-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #99
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I too remember the times of fun and games but as I get older I have slowly become a more volvo type driver whilst still managing to get some fun action. Owned a V8 for 5 years, been driving for 16 years and not lost a point. Lucky yes,stupid yes but at the right times.
Nothing to fear unless you're being a nker. Its the reckless and or deliberate loss of traction and speeding over 45kph that you need to worry about, well in VIC anyway.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #100
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Lets think about it, Hoon law is the only time you get to pay several penalties for the one crime.

Murder, Armed Robbery no $$$ cost go to Gaol
Dont buy a ticket for a train $$$ fine
Exceed speed by 20kph $$$ fine
Chirp your wheels or exceed speed by <30kph well now this is what we have for you,
1. we will fine you $$$
2. we will take your licence,
3. we will charge you a fee for every day we keep your car,
4 we will charge you a handling fee for towing your car,
5. we will charge you a release fee to get your car back.
6. we could also lock your *** up for a bit

Hooning has no limit on the type of punishment its neither a $$ amount or a loss of privaledge its both plus a loss of an asset with $$ attached to recover what is really yours, hardly seems fair to me.
There should be one penalty to pay for the crime as with every other type of crime not several penalties.
I can be a mass murderer and it not cost me any of my posessions or money in fines I just go to Gaol. My cars and my bank account are all safe.
The only time they look to take your posessions ids if you are a Drug dealer or scam artist that has probably got those posessions from ilegal activity.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 29-08-2014 at 11:37 AM.
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #101
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^Wrong

You've clearly never heard of proceeds of crime seizures
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #102
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
^^Wrong

You've clearly never heard of proceeds of crime seizures
Whats the "proceeds of crime" for a murder, unless you got paid for it?

The problem isn't the "crime", but the perception, the problem is the public are sick of this crap of people spinning wheels etc, the politicians identified that they could target this particular area (say car enthusiasts) and win votes because of it because the media managed to tar us all with the same brush with a new catch phrase "hoon", the political parties come out with these new laws showing a "tough stance" and the people vote for them because:

I'M SICK OF THESE DAMN HOONS SCREETCHING TYRES!!!!!

Then ALP/LNP create and promote "anti-hooning" legislation to win extra votes.

There are less "car enthusiasts" then there are everyone else, so they can villify and target a small group and still benefit regardless of if they loose our support.

All this whole fiasco is, is playing on the general population's emotions and appealing to it.

At the end of the day, car enthusiasts let this happen to them by promoting/engaging in this behavior on the streets and you got bitten.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-08-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #103
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After sitting in an Adelaide courtroom a few weeks back for about 1.5 hours, I saw something else occurring that bugged me.
Plenty of people out there speeding, DUIing, spinning wheels, etc. and many of those cars had been impounded (most were 28 days it seemed).
But what was quite obvious was the judges questions all revolved around the persons employment status / employment opportunites. All the people that held jobs were given all the fines, court costs and impound fees and for those that choose not to work or aren't working have the lower fines handed to them and all other fees waived. My mate dresses up for the hearing, presents well and cops a hiding (and yes, he had done the wrong thing) while others drag themselves in wearing tracksuits, caps and necktatts and get looked after.

Also, a lot of butchers out there breaking the law - haha! Seriously about every fourth person that took the stand that day was a butcher.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #104
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Proceeds of crime seizures are usually for serious drug offences
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #105
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
180 is quick on public roads.

The punishment should be more than simple confiscation.

Avis rental cars told us not to exceed 160km/h as this would legally constitute attempted manslaughter in the State of California and not just a speeding ticket....automatic remand in jail until the district court judge visited every few weeks.

That was scarey....had to wait till over the state line to open the Corvette up.
Actually, California speeding rules are quite relaxed. If you are just keeping up with traffic, you basically cant be charged (well you can but you'll beat it every time in court).

but in most parts of the US, if you get caught doing something stupid, expect to spend some time in the local lock up (this includes taking a wizz in public or driving too fast). but its the lock up and fine that is a deterrent - they dont go around stealing confiscating people cars. Do it too many times and you'll end up in the big house (unless your in California where the jails are full and you will be walked right out the back door - serious)

I have also found that some cops are less inclined to issue a hoon notice due to the consequences............ unless you are a repeat offender or are being a real idiot. As usual its up to the cop on the ground to make stupid laws actually work
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #106
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Proceeds of crime seizures are usually for serious drug offences
Yep, serious drug offences are in the same class as 3 seconds of wheelspin.

You can take your own example and bank that

My avatar was at Heathcote, just in case you were wondering

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #107
tweeked
N/A all the way

And finally, for all of you hiding behind the "It is the law, so if you do the crime , do the time" mentality (regardless of how stupid or unfair the law is).............

Thankfully some states are smart enough to get rid of stupid laws. I bet if this early 1900's law was in place still and you lived in Pennsylvania, you might reach the point where you finally overcome your apathy....

"Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes."

But then again there are a few users here that I think would still support it. You know it is the law.........

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #108
Trevor 57
is now there

sorry mate, but dick-heads shouldn't be on the road, and if you think differently then good onya
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #109
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

There needs to be a rethink of our 'hoon laws' while the blanket they have put over on chirping the wheels and other such 'crimes' is understandable, as you can't make a law to suit every tom, dick and harry on the planet I think the real issue is with the coppers to hand out such infringements, I have chirped the wheels in front of cops before, purely accident on my corolla on a hill and they didn't bat an eye.

But same thing happens on my falcon with an exhaust on it and pulled over and questioned on why I 'spun' my wheels....Well officer I am in a manual on a steep hill and its wet.....Kinda wasn't planning on doing it on purpose, then came the lecture.....Go figure.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #110
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
And finally, for all of you hiding behind the "It is the law, so if you do the crime , do the time" mentality (regardless of how stupid or unfair the law is).............

Thankfully some states are smart enough to get rid of stupid laws. I bet if this early 1900's law was in place still and you lived in Pennsylvania, you might reach the point where you finally overcome your apathy....

"Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes."

But then again there are a few users here that I think would still support it. You know it is the law........

Mate I carry a spanner just in case.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #111
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: WA Hoon Laws - VF HSV permanently confiscated and to be auctioned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
After sitting in an Adelaide courtroom a few weeks back for about 1.5 hours, I saw something else occurring that bugged me.
Plenty of people out there speeding, DUIing, spinning wheels, etc. and many of those cars had been impounded (most were 28 days it seemed).
But what was quite obvious was the judges questions all revolved around the persons employment status / employment opportunites. All the people that held jobs were given all the fines, court costs and impound fees and for those that choose not to work or aren't working have the lower fines handed to them and all other fees waived. My mate dresses up for the hearing, presents well and cops a hiding (and yes, he had done the wrong thing) while others drag themselves in wearing tracksuits, caps and necktatts and get looked after.

Also, a lot of butchers out there breaking the law - haha! Seriously about every fourth person that took the stand that day was a butcher.
It's exactly the same across the wider community - get on public transport off your face , get surrounded by 4 protective service guys - get asked a million times , for your name , address , etc , - no reply , so the protective service guys walk away and fines another community member who failed to touch on - as they were running to catch the train , and didn't have time to swipe their card - but clearly had sufficient $ to pay for the trip on the card . Both have made error of judgment - yet one is fined and lectured and the other let off.
Why does one get off and the other not ?
Easy pickings , that's why ...
I have friends and family in the job , and it is clear in their opinion and of their friends - who by the way are all in the job - believe unless you are in the job than you're nothing - you're rubbish and are simple one step away from getting into trouble - it's so sad ... As they can not see any good any anything or anyone!!
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #112
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So not much has changed in over the years then Bat. Had one in the family by marriage, nice enough on their own but put em together , lower than a footballers mad Monday .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: