Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #1711
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

i was always told/taught
never trust a gun especially if some one else loaded it
so dont point it at some one else unless you plan to use it
and never trust a parachute especially if some one else packed it
so dont put it on unless you dont plan to use it
this was taught to me as an air head cadet many many many many moons ago

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #1712
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you read a bit more you find that mucking around with these guns loaded offset was occurring and storing of both types of ammo was mixed. All a bit casual by the looks
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #1713
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i was always told/taught
Unfortunately, that approach, which is sound elsewhere, wouldn't work on a film set where you have an actor (who may not be familiar with arms at all) being asked to aim the gun directly at the camera (for cinematic effect).

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #1714
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Unfortunately, that approach, which is sound elsewhere, wouldn't work on a film set where you have an actor (who may not be familiar with arms at all) being asked to aim the gun directly at the camera (for cinematic effect).
Looks like logic got thrown out the window on the film set Sky Pilot, I would of thought at least a clear screen between shooter and camera person, or there are xspecial cameras or/and lenses used in the wildlife industry to bring the animal or presenter a lot closer than they actually are, but we all know when greed forces shortcuts you do get " accidents" see them inverted commas!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #1715
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…that Jaycar don’t sell eye (ring) crimp terminals with ¼” ID? Narva and Würth pack them, so you can visit Bunnies, Repco, Autobran etc, or ask a motor trade rep, but Jaycar seem to lack cognisance of this size.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #1716
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
A bit late, but I've been a bit busy lately.

Why is it....that prop guns are not designed to not be able to load live bullets???

As someone involved in OH&S and as an engineer, I'm rather familiar with the hierarchy of controls.

The first level is elimination. Can you eliminate the use of a prop gun? Maybe. Perhaps you could cgi it n, but I understand that some producers like the realism of a gun that recoils, etc.

The next is substitution. Then engineering. Design a gun, only intended to be used as a prop on a movie set, such that it can't load anything other than a blank round that is designed only to be used in a prop gun. Yes, I appreciate that it may be costly, but surely the risk of someone accidentally loading a live round and pointing it at a camera is too high. As it was in this case.

To simply be relying on administrative controls, where human error means that someone dies, is ludicrous!

Absolutely stunned that a gun that can be loaded wit a live round is still allowed on a film set in this day and age.

I suspect this incident will be the catalyst needed to make serious change to the way these props are designed and used into the future. Unfortunate that it took the death of someone to act as the change agent.
Don't forget blanks can also kill so I guess engineering is not the real answer.
In my opinion education, checks and control are the best option or just use a dummy weapon for ultimate protection.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #1717
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i was always told/taught
The ATC early 70's certainly had good instructors in those days as I was taught the same" word to word as stated by you", I was also told the MKIII rock could be just as lethal if in the right hands!
The good old cadet days.
Old 26-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #1718
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My father had more robust stories of his cadet experiences. Old school toilet blocks where the pans were in open rows without stalls, like old army films - everyone hung on until lights-out to drop a log. Real live-fire exercises; some of his classmates took out a sheep with the mortar, deliberately, and got in strife.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #1719
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wait till after lights out
we use to drop more than logs in there them to wake up them sitting there after lights out and see them run with their belts around their ankles
i did my trade as a diesel fitter in my states railways and on a test run of an L class loco just out of the geraldton workshop we hit a bull and i bet we did as much damage as a mortar to a sheep
tho ive seen worse carnage ill keep it at that

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #1720
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

…Bunnings can’t take the heat?

“Sorry, your review cannot be published”

5 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #1721
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I wanna know how a young girl or man, but girl in this case, I read a little about her, her dad was a film set armourer before her, he must of retired ( or been shot )...lol.
But she was only a kid really and that's an issue, it's happened before with Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee, he was killed on set by the wadding plug in the pistol cartridge.
Finish your sentence, you wanna know how a young girl or man what?

It seems that only the armorer is supposed to be the one that handles the guns, the armorer checks the guns, the armorer gives the guns to the actor. only. no diversion from those rules.
...and yet the assistant director picked up a gun that they seemingly didn't know was loaded, declared it as a cold gun despite it being loaded, and gave it to the actor.

His lack of sticking to gun safety protocols has been noted by others, he'd already lost a prior job because of it. There have also been anonymous reports from staff of previous movie sets that he is aggressive towards younger staff.
I've got my own thoughts on how this incident happened, it'll be pretty interesting to see what more comes out about it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #1722
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=leesa;6643449]

It seems that only the armorer is supposed to be the one that handles the guns, the armorer checks the guns, the armorer gives the guns to the actor. only. no diversion from those rules.
...and yet the assistant director picked up a gun that they seemingly didn't know was loaded, declared it as a cold gun despite it being loaded, and gave it to the actor.

Absolutely reckless negligence here, in my mind manslaughter.

Many years ago hunting in Africa, I had a rifle and was hunting with my very experienced cousin. He handed me a rifle to hold while he climbed over a barbed wire fence, and I grabbed it and in taking it pointed the barrel in the air momentarily and he ended up belting me pretty hard even though the safety was on.

Golden Rule, safety on, at all times barrel pointed to ground, unless aiming at game. I have never forgotten that rule. Also, never fire a weapon unless all humans with you are behind you.

I went hunting out at Nundal NSW and the 2 guys were sloppy with guns and it freaked me out.

I was in Katherine NT and a process server lady who carried a revolver ended up dropping it on floor on the Commonwealth Bank. She left oblivious to it having fallen from her onto busy bank floor.

I spoke to her replacement process server who was a guy -ex SAS who had done covert operations in UK against IRA. Discussed the prior process server incident, asked him if he carried a gun (ie remote service in Northern Territory etc).

He answered yes, but locked in a safety metal box in my Toyota 4WD. He went quiet, and then said "any person who has seen first hand what a high powered weapon does to human flesh....(went quiet) ...well- a person with that experience is no longer a cowboy with guns. I have now become so cautious, the guns are there as an absolute last resort..."

And here we have a person aiming and firing a weapon at another human filming and looking down the barrel. The gross reckless negligence and breach of chain of controls is staggering....

Quite frankly, there should be no live bullets/weapons on site when filming looking down barrel shots. That should be done separate site if live ammunition shots filmed while behind weapon being fired.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #1723
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Finish your sentence, you wanna know how a young girl or man what?

His lack of sticking to gun safety protocols has been noted by others, he'd already lost a prior job because of it. There have also been anonymous reports from staff of previous movie sets that he is aggressive towards younger staff.
I've got my own thoughts on how this incident happened, it'll be pretty interesting to see what more comes out about it.
Is all America crazy, the girl who died was filming her own death wasn't she!

PS - And as for finishing my sentence?......NO........

PPS - I dislike pedants as much as I dislike them rotten "carpents"

Last edited by slowsnake; 28-10-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Add PS
Old 29-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #1724
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Why is it after months and months of Covid lockdowns and restrictions, at the protest of many retailers, that they then decide to close on Monday and thus have a 4-day weekend (Melbourne Cup public holiday included). Whinge whinge, bitch bitch about not being able to trade properly, but hey, lets close and have another day off. Typical lazy Australian mentality.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #1725
slowsnake
Banned

Got to agree, pre, during and post covid, Australians have too many public holidays, are they justified? well no, especially the Queens Birthday, they don't even have it on her birthday, but like you say, so close to ending lockdown and instead of hooking in to work, they have more lazy days at home, totally unjustified, that's just my opinion folks.
Old 29-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #1726
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Why is it after months and months of Covid lockdowns and restrictions, at the protest of many retailers, that they then decide to close on Monday and thus have a 4-day weekend (Melbourne Cup public holiday included). Whinge whinge, bitch bitch about not being able to trade properly, but hey, lets close and have another day off. Typical lazy Australian mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Got to agree, pre, during and post covid, Australians have too many public holidays, are they justified? well no, especially the Queens Birthday, they don't even have it on her birthday, but like you say, so close to ending lockdown and instead of hooking in to work, they have more lazy days at home, totally unjustified, that's just my opinion folks.

Meh..............
Old 30-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #1727
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

.... that one of the longest power outages I've experienced in a long, long time has to happen right in the middle of our iso period? Iso has had its challenges, but 20 hours so far without power is making it next level!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 30-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #1728
slowsnake
Banned

Ya got my sympathy Sky Pilot, had a lot when I lived regional Australia, an old dude once told me that " if ya ever buy a house sonny, make sure you're on the same power system as the local hospital, they fix it in 5 minutes, not hours or days, but minutes!
Old 30-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #1729
slowsnake
Banned

I wonder why my Telstra prepaid phone and separate internet modem are now 3G?
I have wondered why my tablet is so slow lately, but I dug out my iPhone and put my 4G sim in it and it shows 3G only?

I use an old Nokia 8 yrs old, because I like it, but my Telstra modem I bought as a 4G with a 4G sim?

Costs me $50 a month for both, anyone of you brainiacs help.
Old 30-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #1730
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Still no power at my place. That's now 31 hours without power. Been on the phone for nearly 2 hours to try and get a tineframe for power coming back. Their outage tracker says power is expected back at 11:59 tomoz night.

Sitting in the ute whilst I write this, with engine running, to try and keep my phone at somewhat of a reasonable charge.

Easy to go sonewhere else to get power and have a shower. Except if you're in covid iso!

I don't normally try and avoid the swear filter, but I'm effing over this. My patience is wearing thin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #1731
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Still no power at my place. That's now 31 hours without power. Been on the phone for nearly 2 hours to try and get a tineframe for power coming back. Their outage tracker says power is expected back at 11:59 tomoz night.

Sitting in the ute whilst I write this, with engine running, to try and keep my phone at somewhat of a reasonable charge.

Easy to go sonewhere else to get power and have a shower. Except if you're in covid iso!

I don't normally try and avoid the swear filter, but I'm effing over this. My patience is wearing thin!
Since you are isolating and not allowed to move give your local SES a ring, they may be able to help you out with generator.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 10:18 PM   #1732
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Since you are isolating and not allowed to move give your local SES a ring, they may be able to help you out with generator.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have since tried them, but they are unable to help. They have one small gennie but it's on their rescue vehicle.

Worth a try but. To be honest, they were much quicker to get a hold of than ausnet services!

Ah well, another night in the dark....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #1733
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Feelin for ya there FGX, dealt a couple of crap hands there.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #1734
slowsnake
Banned

Most people in power don't give a damn about the man on the street on a normal day, nevermind in an emergency Sky Pilot, this world I now live in, and the powers that direct are alien to me, it's a very selfish world, but the crap starts at the top, do they really give a damn if you have or haven't got power?.....no, the poor workers on the ground do, and the hospitals get power first with the high end of town, you could call a friend, her names Gladys, she may be able to organise it for you, lovely honest decent person too!

Hope ya get reconnected soon, make sure you got the receipts for all the wasted food, put a claim in.
Old 31-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #1735
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another morning and still no power. That's 45 hours now.

I'll need to empty out my fridge and freezers today as most of the food won't be any good anymore and my rubbish is collected tomoz. Thinking about what evidence I may need to collect to make any claim for compensation, I had a look at the distributors website, and none of the distributors in Vic compensate for lost food unless the appliance was damaged. FMD. The best I could do is to be compensated for loss of supply over a one year period, which this event alone would qualify for, but I'm not sure when that period starts or ends. And it's only $90! Hardly worth the effort.

Ah well, I'll take some pics before I start just in case I need them in the future.

On the positive side of it, I've been meaning to clean out my freezers for some time now.

The ex has kindly offered that we use her place today to shower and relax at. She's gone down to Melbourne for the day so there will be little chance of anyone catching anything if either my daughter or I have covid. Neither of us have any symptoms.

I know it's probs not the right thing to do, but I need a break. We'll minimise our contact with others as best we can whilst in transit. Given that I still haven't heard anything from dhhs about our isolation, I don't think anyone will be any the wiser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #1736
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What a shambles this has led to. Hire companies are presumably all out on gennies.

Are you out of isomalation on Thursday next?
Old 31-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #1737
slowsnake
Banned

Your home insurance covers you?
Depending on who you insure with, usually $500 up to Max of $2,500 for food spoilage.
But the power companies are responsible too depending on the event cause, wish you well Sky Pilot!
Old 31-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #1738
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What a shambles this has led to. Hire companies are presumably all out on gennies.

Are you out of isomalation on Thursday next?
Yeah strange about the generators.Didn’t the Govts buy hundreds of new generators for bushfire victims a couple of years ago.Be interesting to find where they all are now.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #1739
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all leased out to worthy recipients, but the paperwork has all been lost
Old 31-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #1740
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah strange about the generators.Didn’t the Govts buy hundreds of new generators for bushfire victims a couple of years ago.Be interesting to find where they all are now.
I think they are spread around, I know they sent a lot to Innisfail Nth Qld after the cyclone, but you know how things in govmint go walkabout, still they must be somewhere?

It's a bad situation without power, as it affects so many ancillary services, sewerage plants etc.

Hope it's on soon just for Sky Pilots sake at least.....